Create Account

S73 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2023, 11:45 PM by bjkman. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Trivia +3

Bosh

12. The Procrastinator Special +2

Edmonton won but it was hard to believe, after winning their first Championship since season 49; they came out on top over the Philadelphia Forge in an insane back-and-forth 7-game series. Philadelphia and Edmonton were within 1 point of each other in the regular season so we knew if these teams met in the final there would be fireworks and there absolutely was! There was even only 1 goal separating these teams over the series, and the 32nd goal of the series by Louise St. Martin with 2 minutes left in the game and the deciding goal for the Blizzard was the one that cemented them with the championship. Edmonton won the decisive game 5 in overtime giving them a 3-2 lead; they had the confidence and took game seven and completed the comeback that was a long time coming.

Code:
140 Words

6. The Climax +3

[Image: mQocIOs.png]

Did Ya Get It?

[Image: OwNf3O9.gif]

3 tpe CW: DONE

3 tpe PBE Affiliate: https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=650917

10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
How do you think the IIHF federation you play for will do this season? Will you be better than last seasons? Why or why not?

I think IIHF federation will do better this year as we are young and earning a lot more and being able to grow as a team. I think we have been towards the bottom and we can do a lot more than that and hopefully show that in the coming years as our young core grows. Hopefully we can bring get to contention and be able to get to a place while on the team being able to progress. I do think a lot of our members are still capped, so it may take a few more seasons to see that jump. After my class and the one before me uncaps we should see a big jump in what we are able to do. I think we should start seeing progress this season and bigger jumps in the seasons to come. I know myself after i Uncap I should be able to start contributing to the team.

[Image: dc24.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 03:29 AM by High Stick King. Edited 1 time in total.)

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Word: answered

+3 TPE

[Image: uZXUIMk.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2023, 12:33 AM by mer. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
froggie

3/8

Code:
. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?

I would much rather be the hungry youngsters versus the veterans. The veteran team has been here before and doesn't truly care win or lose. Yeah, they'd like to win, but they'll be good next season as well. The youngsters have nothing to lose, everything to gain, and they're incredibly hungry for a cup.
54 words

I think that the Forge and the Wolfpack are pretty evenly matched, both very strong teams with similar peak seasons. Edmonton and Aurora are quite different - Aurora has very strong players across a few seasons that are all around their peak. Edmonton has several in their peak, but is quite younger. I was more excited about the Blizzard advance.
59 words

5/8

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Winter is Coming (150 words min.)
Unlike their rivals, who have literally never been bad, the Blizzard were deep in the doldrums not too many seasons ago. Now that they've reached the mountaintop, how did they pull off such a strong rebuild? What can other teams currently facing hard times learn from their success?

They have Ramen. Ramen is the best so of course they won the cup this season. They've also got val, Louise St. Martin. Now you might look at St. Martin's stats and say, nah that player didn't really do anything but let me stop you right there. 27 TA and 3 GA? That's absolutely solid, also almost 100 shots on goal! And that's a young player. During the post season, stars Evan and Benjamin produced but weren't quite as super as during the regular season, and were on the same level as Luke Laraque and Jack St. Clair. The entire team played incredibly well during the playoffs at pretty much the same level, and six players were over points per game for the post season. Edmonton won by being a very well balanced team and by having a lot of strong and driven players. Their road to the cup wasn't assured, but it isn't a surprise either.

Code:
157 words

8/8

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

PBE Affiliate (3 TPE)

Code:

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Verification Word: Sconnie (3 TPE)

Code:

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
a) I think what's most impressive about the Edmonton Blizzard is the fact that they completely tore the team down and built to this championship roster, and are now a perrenial contender. That shows that HFFO is a great GM who knows what he's doing. He was able to bring in absolute world-class players like Winter, Surkhi-Ze'ev, St. Martin, and Time and their success is absolutely deserved. (1 TPE)

b) I think there's something inspirational about being a team there for the first time chasing a title. I don't want to say folks get complacent, but to me there is no hunger like chasing that first cup...that one will likely always be the most special for the team. The folks in Edmonton seem to have proven that with their play and series win. (1 TPE)

[Image: CnPenxE.png]

1. Trivia

Verification: Jammin

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]
Portal
Portal

SSL Affiliate

3 TPE

Task 1 – 3 TPE

Verification

Task 2 – 3 TPE

b. If I had to choose, I would much rather prefer being the veteran team that’s been there before. When it comes down to a final series, there are always a ton of nerves. If you’ve been there before, you could find a way to deal with it, but sometimes being young and new to that atmosphere makes things extremely difficult, even if you take a lead or fall behind. It can be a daunting task, but at the end of the day, there’s 7 games that will decide it regardless.
c. I think this one is pretty simple, and it’s gotta be Philadelphia. Not only did they beat the league’s best team in New England, but they also had a tougher road to get to the finals. They had to go through New England and Atlanta, 2 teams in the top 6 of the league. While Edmonton beating Winnipeg was a great achievement, they were not the best team in the league like previous seasons, and Edmonton was clearly the favorite.
d. If I had to choose, I think I would take Edmonton to win this series. I think both teams are great, but I think Edmonton is a better well-rounded team overall. They have tremendous offensive firepower with Winter and Surkhi-Ze’ev, both of which finished 2 and 3 in league scoring with 135 and 133 points respectively. In addition to that I think Justin Time is slightly better than BASE PACK. I think they’re both great, but Time had 45 wins, a 2.42 GAA and 8 shutouts. Edmonton scores more goals, and lets in less, I think that always takes the advantage when comparing 2 teams.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 12:53 PM by wizard_literal. Edited 4 times in total.)

Code:

wizardtriv

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

a. The Forge's consistency at being a competing team is probably what I find most impressive in this championship matchup. To have been in the Championship, and keep the franchise on course overcoming the favored Wolfpack and return with an aging roster shows a certain kind of grit and commitment to trusting your veterans.

53 words

b. This is an easy pick for me. Being the young hungry team like the Blizzard whose stuck through a rebuild to finally have their first shot is an exciting feeling that promises more success on the horizon. Not to mention having to trudge through the dark seasons of a rebuild to finally see the fruits of your labors.

58 words

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)

The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

I think when you see a team make it back to the championship multiple times it almost always has to be attributed to drafting consistently well. Tearing a franchise down and rebuilding after a window has been proven to work time and time again, however personally I think what The Forge have done is the mark of a truly great team and management. Sticking to your guns in the draft through a consistent pipeline of prospects that serve as auxiliary members of the team while old Veterans trudge their way through regression has helped Philadelphia maintain consistent roster depth and pure determination. Also not to be disregarded is the randomness and consistency when it comes to sports. You don't need to be absolute powerhouse to win a championship, you just need to consistently make the playoffs and give yourself a shot each year. Going all in certainly helps your chances to have it be "your year", but any season you make the playoffs that gives you even the slightest chance to win it all.

174 words

[Image: wizard_literal2.gif]
[Image: SZRCDpe.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 01:14 PM by Keven. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

comet

Code:

a. Philly impresses me the most this season because they've been able to re-capture some of their playoff magic from S69 after losing in the semi-finals in 7 games three seasons in a row. A window of 5 season is a long time to stay competitive and I was expecting their competitive window to be closing rather than opening even wider this season.

b. The hungry youngsters are definitely in a more desirable position. If Philly misses their chance at this cup, I feel like the next one might be further in the future than they'd want. Edmonton on the other hand has only just entered their prime competitive window and should have a few more chances to redeem themselves if they lose this season.

c. Edmonton's 4-1 series win over Winnipeg is definitely more impressive. Taking a semi-final series against the reigning cup champs to only 5 games is an impressive feat. Philadelphia's past losses to New England were all so close that they were bound to come out on top of the matchup sooner or later. Going from 5 game losses to a 5 game win is much more impressive for the Blizzard.

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 73! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

Looks like Edmonton was able to come out on top of one of the closest playoff finals series of all time. As simple as it sounds, the real difference between these teams was that Philly couldn't take advantage of being the higher seed and having more home games. All 7 games of the finals were won by the away team and all 7 games taken together were very close. The series goal differential in regulation time was even for each team. The only difference is that Edmonton was able to score one extra goal in overtime of game 5. If that OT goal went the other way and Philly had won one at home the series would've gone in their favour.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

Affiliate Task
PBE

Trivia
Toast

Code:

a. Edmonton is the most impressive to me. When HFFO was acquiring the pieces needed for the success of the team I was very critical of the price the team paid for some pieces and made sure that HFFO knew my opinion too. In classic Toast fashion I was wrong and seeing the success of the team and their win is great. Thrilled for them!

b. I have to go with Edmonton for this as well. While I have Kale, Krash and South on one side, they've already been there. Seeing HFFO get his win after working hard to build this is special and I'm thrilled that TGTJ gets to win the cup as well. Lots of other people on that team who I love as well. Ramen deserves it for all the work gone into the team and everyone else there as well.

8 total between all tasks

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

0. Affiliate PBE PT - 3 TPE

Code:

Snake

Code:

B. I would significantly rather be the veteran team that has been there and won it before for the simple fact of then I've already won. If I lose then I still get the joy of making two appearances and having a big win, but of course if I win then I get to be part of arguably a dynasty or pseudo dynasty at the very least. There is zero downside to me because even if you lose then you just dry your tears by crying them into your old cup.

Code:
Word Count: 90

D. I pay absolutely zero attention to the sim and as far as I know the game has in fact already happened. Despite these facts I am going to pick the Blizzard because a strong enough winter storm will win against the fires of the average forge that I have encountered in my life. Additionally as this is hockey the rink is ice where obviously a blizzard is going to have an advantage over a forge given the winter connection. Plus given the previous question maybe the blizzard just wants it more you know.

Code:
Word Count: 93
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 06:57 PM by Shiamus. Edited 1 time in total.)

PBE Affiliate 3 TPE - https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=650827

SMJHL Milestones - 3TPE - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3438615

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post. - done

The Blizzard impress me by purely being the underdogs in this matchup. Like said in a lower question, Philly has been here, done that with their current group of core players while Edmonton has been rebuilding and is finally in the limelight once again! It must feel good as a coach to get a group of young, upstart players into playoff success that will likely be sustained for years and seasons to come.

Oh I would definitely want to be the underdog in this matchup. You always want to see a brand new team take home the crown at the end of the season, unless of course your own team is the opposition of their path to eternal glory. Take a look at the baseball playoffs - the Rangers were mostly a team of young players, buffeted by key veterans who had never won a trophy before. As a result, almost everyone other than Diamondbacks fans were rooting for the Rangers to win. You always want to have the fan sentiment on your side.

The Forge definitely had the harder road to the final. Although Tampa Bay put up a small fight, they managed to blank and sweep a good team in the Atlanta Inferno and then had to go directly into the number one seed, the New England Wolfpack. The Wolfpack were the heavy heavy favorites to win the cup this year, dominated throughout the regular season, and were a lock in most people's eyes to win yet again. However, the Forge beat them in dominating fashion - and made it to the final where they face a staunch Edmonton team. Will be interested to see which team ends up winning the cup!

[Image: lily-sig-3.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 03:24 PM by Vaxlare. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

Verification Word: poiuy

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2023, 04:59 PM by puolivalmiste. Edited 3 times in total.)

1, 3 TPE) aikasimppeliä

3, 3 TPE) So lets start with the obvious and say that Patriotes never won or were very close to winning the cup, they reached conference finals once and were never able to push past that. So what did the forge do differently? There really isn't a single simple answer to that, mostly because Im not going to do a deep dive about the lasting success of the team and instead I just take wild guesses (while drunk). So once you get a core ready to compete, which both teams did, there are several points that they need to hit to be able to keep up their success. First of all management needs to have some skill in FHM so that players believe they can actually win the cup and stay around. As people start to age you need to and preferably slowly all the time replace people one or few at the time to keep the average TPE level high, being good at drafting is important here as you get closer to the top you'll only have draft picks out of top 10 and you preferably need to get best out of those as there are only so many valuable picks to trade players for.

12, 2 TPE) So if I'm looking at things right it seems that neither of the teams managed to win at home which means that all of the regular season was for nothing and higher seeding with home advantage was only hurting the Philadelphia. So if we want to see what might be the turning point and thing to change to get us a different result obvious answer would be for either of the teams to actually play decently at home. On game five Philly got closest to it by pushing it all to way to overtime but they still didn't find that golden shot that would have been enough in retrospect. So we end up with a thriller where Edmonton takes the cup home on game 7.

Total: 8 / 8 TPE

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

Code:

Squally

Code:

A: Edmonton has made a HUGE impression on me and should mark a huge shift in the thinking that teams cannot climb the mountain just by sticking the seasons out. Yes they have been building up to this for 8 seasons, and in my time on this site I have seen WAY too many people jump ship after only a couple of meek years. Unable to stomach the growing pains. In the Blizzard can win it all it will be peak satisfaction.

B: Given that i've never won it all before, I still yearn for that experience. That drive to better yourself because it is new. It is the ultimate symbol of untapped potential waiting over the horizon. If I end my time on this site having never won the Challenge Cup over any of my players careers, it would be an ultimate failure.

C: For me the more impressive has to be Philly. Don't get me wrong, Winnipeg has made the last 4 finals and was defending champ. But the Forge have not really been able to get back to the dance. As stated earlier I value a team gutting it out and, while a bit overshadowed by Winnipeg's lack of cup finals wins (starting against the Forge). Philly has struggled to get back into the finals until this season.

D: I don't know for sure. Both have amazing things going for them. Philadelphia is finally back in the finals after sitting in the final 4 since their cup. But Edmonton has been the model of building it right from the ground up and seeing them win could just set the standard for every team going forward. I picked the Blizz in my predictions so I'll go with them, but look for this one to go the distance.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Winter is Coming (150 words min.)
Unlike their rivals, who have literally never been bad, the Blizzard were deep in the doldrums not too many seasons ago. Now that they've reached the mountaintop, how did they pull off such a strong rebuild? What can other teams currently facing hard times learn from their success?

It is a long, agonizing road. You have to want to stick it out and see it through. You've got to draft people who not only want to be on this site. Not only want to max earn. Not only want to write media. But you need people who want to take the team they are drafted by and WILL THEM TO WIN. To ache so badly for the final triumph each and every season. People who will do everything in their own power to keep trying season after season. To keep the place a place people want to play in. Even when times are tough, even when its more fun to talk about real life instead of the team's season. Even when the rest of the site lambasts your early decisions. To stay the course and steer your ship through those treacherous seas and come out on top in the end.

[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: CptSquall.gif]