Create Account

S45 PT #5 - SHL Global

I believe that the SHL should host a home and home weekend series in the city of Vienna, Austria. The two teams to play would be the Toronto North Stars and the Calgary Dragons. First of all, I think Vienna is the perfect spot for the SHL to host a few games because the city (and country) are finally starting to get into hockey at the professional level. They've even got a team in the newly established National Simulation Hockey League, called the Vienna Eagles. The new team looks to be a powerhouse in their division, but it's still early. Toronto and Calgary are a good fit to play here because some of Austria's biggest stars play for these two teams. A few names that come to mind are Mike Izzy for the Dragons, and Mikhail Lokitonov, Jordan von Matt, and Richard Physt for the North Stars. No matter who wins, the fans of Vienna will have a great time enjoying the game!

[Image: 400x200.jpg]

I think there's two pretty easy choices when it comes to this task, and I'm going to divide this between East and West.

East
The Minnesota Chiefs are a weird story this season, and I think everyone was surprised to see them do so well during the regular season in their conference, even making the playoffs. For a team that is quite young and in a retool mood, there was not very high expectations but they pleasantly surprised, and you always want a Cinderella story in your international leagues.

West
The Seattle Riot are a complete joke, but with a new brand on the way it's going to be very exciting to see what they can do. I'm actually quite excited to see how the new team pans out, and I think that it would be a sweet destination for international free agents to want to sign in, making them a sweet choice for a team.

[Image: Klaus2.jpg]

My proposal for international SHL games would be to have a back-to-back between the West Kendall Platoon and the Buffalo Stampede. The games would occur during the start of the regular season and would occur in Vienna, Austria and Berlin, Germany. The Platoon would be the home team in Austria, with multiple players on their team hailing from the mountainous region, such as Alex Light, Jon Ross, and Gabriel Wong. Meanwhile, the Stampede has been the home for multiple German stars such as Alexis Metzler, the Selichs, Friedrich Koenig and GOD McZehrl.
On top of that the Platoon and Stampede also sport some players from the other nations in Jordin FourFour Jr, Ludwig Koch Schroeder, Karsten Kadinger and others.
The ice would sport plenty of talent between the two nations and generate interest in local markets. The games would be played at the Lord Vader Dome in Vienna and at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin. Using the capital cities might be cliché but is the best method to generate interest in teams from across the pond.

(176 words)

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Quote:Task: The SHL/SMJHL are looking to promote the league internationally. As a way to do this you are tasked to choose a location outside of North America where two teams will play a home and home weekend series! You have also been given the responsibility of choosing what 2 teams will play each other on the international stage! In 150 words or more talk to us about the destination you choose and what 2 teams did you decide on to represent the league.

The SHL attempt to expand has taken them across the pond. Unfortunately, Amsterdam has plenty of vices for the players, fans, management, and really just everyone to indulge in. Seeing as the teams may get into a bit of trouble while visiting the fine city of Amsterdam, the head office has elected to send the San Francisco Pride and the newly formed Chicago Syndicate for a weekend home and home in season 46. The Pride no one will likely even notice if they get into trouble, as their on-ice performance couldn't get too much worse. Meanwhile, the Syndicate can easily pay off or use their 'connections' to get out of any trouble. However, the league has sent representatives to make sure they don't influence the referees as well. It's just a small part of a bigger expansion that the SHL will likely do in the near future, opening up new cities to the sport, the league, and the income.

The SHL is going to make the bold choice of playing games in the great nation of The Faroe Islands. The SHL insists they thought long and hard about this decision and didn't just go to random.country for their selection. The Faroe Islands are located in the North Atlantic ocean about 200 miles north north-west of the United Kingdom. The game will take place in the capital Torshavn. A small town of 13,000 people who are extremely excited to watch the SHL's best take each other on in a sure to be a hate-filled series. These things do take time and the series was originally designed to be played between the San Francisco Pride and the Seattle Riot, it will now be played between the Pride and the Barracuda. When questioned about the small size of the market the SHL would be competing in, SHL commissioner Eggy said if even 1/4 of the population show up it'll be an attendance spike for both the Riot and Pride versus their regular attendance levels. Eggy followed up with "Our Saturday matinee game was planned specifically to not compete with Bingo night, so we're very optimistic about turnout". With ticket sales already in the hundreds, it's no longer factually correct to say the SHL is going nowhere.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

This is pretty easy, we'll have to send them out to the UK. We're the two new expansion teams coming into this season which are New Orleans Spectors and the Chicago Syndicate? Where do you say they'll play in. The Famous o2 arena will be the destination where these fresh new teams will play to a crowd who aren't really familiar with hockey, although the UK are in the IIHF it would be very nice for the SHL to see there's a possibility or expansion into Europe by having teams in Europe as a developmental league to the SHL like the SMJHL are or in the SHL with the big boys. The other option would be in Sweden with these two very same teams to grab more of the youth to start heading to the SMJHL/SHL to play for Team Sweden as another viable option of playing in a professional league other then the NHL.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

[Image: c215ef-1549142774.jpg]

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

When I was just a youngin, the Vancouver Canucks came over to Japan to play the then Mighty Ducks of Anaheim shortly after I was born. Games between the Calgary Flames and San Jose Sharks, as well as the Nashville Predators and the Pittsburgh Penguins, were played in the following years. As such, my location for where I would send the SHL is over to Tokyo to play the first two games of the SHL season. Playing at the Tokyo Dome means that you;ll be able to fit 50,000+ to attend the game in person and countless others on TV around the world. As for the teams that will be playing, I would select an East Coast versus West Coast game with two young, up and coming teams, the San Francisco Pride and the Manhattan Rage. I think that these two teams, in two of the largest markets, would ensure a large viewer bases. When choosing these teams, I also took into consideration the fact that they are young, talented teams on the upswing. By choosing teams that should be good for a long while, you are ensuring that any new fans wouldn't be turned off by consistent losing, like you may encounter with teams on the downswing.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

[Image: shlpt.png]

[Image: 3.png]

I'd have a game between the Minnesota Chiefs and the West Kendall Platoon in Berlin, Germany. West Kendall has recently been a really good team and a consistend cup contender, while Minnesota has surprised many and continues to be a playoff team despite making trades that would be considered "selling". On top of that Chiefs have a lot of promising young players on their roster right now and plenty more in the system that will be up with the big club soon. On top of that Germany already has a pretty solid hockey league and some popular NHL stars playing in the National hockey league and here in the SHL. SHL could attract a lot of new fans and possibly future players in Germany and on top of that all the players involved would have a few days to a week off and enjoy the sights of Berlin and try some local Beers & foods, like Wiener Schnitzels & Sauerkraut. I think it would be a great experience for everyone involved.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

In an effort to expand the brand's international appeal, the SMJHL has planned an international exhibition match between the Detroit Falcons and the Halifax Raiders. Feeding off the teams' contentious quarterfinal matchup in the S45 SMJHL playoffs and giving Halifax another shot at the team that knocked them out, a Sweden game would be perfect for the two teams. Writing a narrative between Detroit's Swedish captain Hippo Passamus and Halifax's half-Finn captain Jimmy Slothface is a surefire way to bring household names to a Northern European game. To increase interest in the international game, the SMJHL will open with a SMJHL alumni game composed entirely of Swedish, Finnish, and Norwegian SMJHL alums. Bringing these well-known players to open the show is a surefire way to pack the seats and remind Northern Europe that there's a league of young superstars ready to impress and take on their country's greatest players.

I would love to see hockey grow in Australia, since they have such a beautiful country and a great culture. SHL could take to Perth, Australia, the capital of Western Australia, where they could take over Perth Hockey Stadium and square off. There is a picturesque city skyline with pristine sandy beaches and placid rivers to cut to before commercial breaks, and Perth should be happy to draw attention from potential tourists in the North American hockey crowd to bring revenue and visitors to their city. I think it would be the perfect stage to showcase the two newest SHL clubs, the New Orleans Specters and the Chicago Syndicate. It would be the first glimpse at the their uniforms and team identity in action, and it would allow their players to take to the ice together for the first time. If you want a spectacular way to kick off the season in a far away, exotic location that would be a major publicity stunt for the league, this would be the perfect route to take.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

I would pick the SHL to go to China to help spread the game there as much as possible. China has the largest population in the world and financially speaking, it would make the most sense to spread the game to as many people as possible to the largest fan base as possible. Look at Basketball for example, in terms of raw numbers China can provide a tremendous amount of income for the league and is a ripe place to grow a large passionate fan base. For the teams, I'd have the West Kendall Platoon face off against the Edmonton Blizzard, they're the two best teams in the league right now in terms of the regular season and I think it would make the most sense to have the most skilled team show up to make the game as existing as possible. West Kendall has also been one of the most competitive teams for a number of years while the Edmonton Blizzard seems to be the new powerhouse of the west.

All-time New England Wolfpack scorer
[Image: Derisraka.png]
[Image: 38718_s.png]
[Image: rW2c4Vz.png][Image: B4x6AQm.png]
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

I think the decision of where to play the international game should take into consideration who is most likely to have an expansion team, and of course a large market of eager fans to support it. A few places immediately go through my mind: Mexico, Ireland, and Russia. Mexico is enticing because of its close proximity to the United States/Canada, so there won't be huge concerns over travel. Also, Mexican fans are ravenous, so if you are able to swing them over to becoming hockey fans you have extremely involved fans for life. Ireland is an intriguing choice because of their success on the international stage. As everyone knows, if you have teams that are that dominant, citizens will start to take notice. That being said, travel is certainly a concern. West coast teams would rightfully have a huge gripe against a team in Ireland. Russia has a good history of producing great hockey players, so a team there is also a possibility. While the choice is tough, I think we would have to play the international game(s) in Ireland, as a final push to try and get as many fans onboard as possible. The two teams I would have play there are the West Kendall Platoon and whoever wins between the Blizzard and the Renegades, sort of a replay of the championship matchup. That way, anyone who followed the league gets to see the two top teams, and it should make for some great hockey play.

[Image: 2v10l6s.png]

To kick of the start of next season the SHL has decided to send the San Francisco Pride and the Buffalo Stampede to Osaka Japan for the first SHL Global Series! The two struggling teams will play a "home and home" in the Kyocera Dome Osaka to kick off their respective seasons. Despite the teams losing records, they are extremely popular in Japan. San Francisco's home games being a later puck drop means its easily accessible for the foreign faithful to watch their beloved Pride play while Buffalo is popular simply because the people of Osaka like their colors and. The teams will spend 10 days in Osaka sight seeing and setting up camps for the youth to learn the game and experience the game of hockey at the SHL level. The SHL will use this opportunity to grow the brand for IIHF competition as well generate more revenue