Create Account

Town Hall: Self-hosting a new forum

Some people have drop down sigs on SBA, so it seems like maybe it's possible. That's definitely something I would like to see us keep if we can. I'll try and find out how they did it.

Edit: <a href='index.php?showuser=1344' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Lunaro</a> has a drop down sig in SBA, maybe he can tell us how he did it, or try it the same way in the demo forum.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Not liking the test site visually is like passing on buying a way nicer home because you don't like the color of the walls. It can be easily changed.

I think it's a good idea. Jcink has been good lately *knock on wood*, but we all know it goes through stretches of downtime that are annoying.

In the meantime, can we trim down the size of this forum? There are SO MANY areas that are now unused... Would getting rid of some of that old, outdated forum space help the search function to work again? This applies not only to forum spaces, but users... For example, find users with less than 15 posts who haven't posted in 6 months or more, and remove all those accounts? Would it even be worth the time, or nah?

Edit: I'd be sad if drop downs in sigs weren't a thing anymore. When I first joined, they were super helpful for PTs about "who do you want to become" or other historical themed things. As it was mentioned above, apparently they can be done, I'd just want to be sure that was a thing.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

So we've have a wave of donations lately, where do we stand?

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

So on the discussion of moving to another solution without spending $100... I was able to find a conversion from jcink (IPB 1.3) to pbpBB 2. People do run into some issues when moving to phpBB 3 where some BB code doesn't come over properly, but it looks like pbpBB 2 conversions work just fine.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi...5&t=795115

I am okay with moving to IPB 3, but just wanted to add the option of going to phpBB.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

I left VHL partial because I cant stomach their forums. I am in support of our own site and even think we could make money back by running adds. But please dont use the VHL lay out.

[Image: c3936a1e67537ed2c9716b30ba8432ee.png]

BUBBA -- Roster===Updates

Bojo Machine
League of Accomplished Players
Player builder

i really dont think money is an issue here at all... the first talk of moving to a better sight and 200+ dollars poured in... if people see an aesthetically pleasing site, money will always come in.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Quote:Originally posted by Coach Biz@Jan 29 2018, 09:24 AM
i really dont think money is an issue here at all... the first talk of moving to a better sight and 200+ dollars poured in... if people see an aesthetically pleasing site, money will always come in.

Totally! Even if half our our daily member base only donated $5 a year, we would have way more than needed.

[Image: c3936a1e67537ed2c9716b30ba8432ee.png]

BUBBA -- Roster===Updates

Bojo Machine
League of Accomplished Players
Player builder

Quote:Originally posted by Phobospwns@Jan 29 2018, 12:44 PM
Not liking the test site visually is like passing on buying a way nicer home because you don't like the color of the walls.&nbsp; It can be easily changed.

I'm going to disagree here. The reason I've been kind of a broken record about the visuals of the site is just that the two main examples that I can think of when it comes to sim leagues using this platform look essentially identical. In those cases, the only legitimate difference is the proverbial colour of the walls.

It would be helpful to see, for the sake of argument, what level of customization the new forums would have outside of changing things like the main banner and the colours. Forums like these are partially a visual medium, but those visuals affect how you interact with them on a fundamental level. There are a lot of things about the new forums that make the move appealing: they're more stable, they can resize images in posts in a simple manner, they can incorporate a built-in word counter, a lot of things that would be exceedingly helpful for media and the like.

If it can be easily changed, then change it while the trial is still active. To take your analogy about buying a home, when you go into an open house or an agent shows you around, the house has usually been fixed up for show. Often the walls have already been repainted, sometimes there's mock furniture, etcetera. With the exception of flippers, you rarely sell based on the promise that something could be nice with a bit of work.

I'm generally in favour of switching, but this is all just to say that there's something behind wanting the forums to look and feel different than VHL/SBA/etc. It's not just a minor concern for the dramatic among us. They'll be similar no matter what we do, but yeah.

With this new board, would we be able to create our own URL? It may have been answered already, and if so, I apologize for overlooking it...

I just think something real easy to remember like www.theshl.com would be wonderful.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Quote:Originally posted by Beaujeaux@Jan 28 2018, 11:29 AM

Oh right MTL. Ya I just want to minimize the amount if discords I got at the moment. Nothing personal

Come back to SHL discord at least. Too many people think I'm Bojo...

Quote:Originally posted by Ace@Jan 29 2018, 03:39 PM
With this new board, would we be able to create our own URL? It may have been answered already, and if so, I apologize for overlooking it...

I just think something real easy to remember like www.theshl.com would be wonderful.

We will be purchasing a new domain name.

We already have originalshl.com which Schultzy owns, so it would be up to him to point it to our new site but as he's been gone since august is unlikely he will even renew that domain.

Money should not be a primary issue in whatever decision is made. Thankfully, it seems that the league is large enough to have many wonderful members who are willing to contribute on a consistent basis. Whatever the HO decide, I hope it's in the best interests of the league's members and long-term vision for the league, as opposed to it being a monetary decision.

Let's select the right option (whatever it might be) and worry about reaching that option financially afterwards, as opposed to allowing the latter to directly influence one of the most important decisions the league can make.

Just my two cents. Cheers

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Allegiant@Jan 29 2018, 01:45 PM
I'm going to disagree here. The reason I've been kind of a broken record about the visuals of the site is just that the two main examples that I can think of when it comes to sim leagues using this platform look essentially identical. In those cases, the only legitimate difference is the proverbial colour of the walls.
Yeah, I guess I presumed the change would go beyond updating the colors to match the SHL. I've only hopped on the NSFL one time, and I do recall it looking essentially like the test site.

I don't know a ton about website design, but I figured a more wholesale visual change would be doable with the "talent" present in the group.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

SFC, which was run by <a href='index.php?showuser=2236' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-73'>Wally</a> had drop downs working on a newer version of IPB... Could also check with him on that.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Quote:Originally posted by DrunkenTeddy@Jan 29 2018, 04:18 PM
SFC, which was run by <a href='index.php?showuser=2236' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-73'>Wally</a> had drop downs working on a newer version of IPB... Could also check with him on that.

SBA also has dropdowns. Well, drop-ups. But they have the same effect. Not many people use them so I think they might be a new addition, but they're doable.