Create Account

NFL Discussion Thread

Quote:Originally posted by Midas Whale@Apr 30 2015, 07:23 AM
the reason why Oregon's system is so successful is that they run a fast paced, spread with a lot of read option.
the reason why Philly's offense hasnt been as successful as it could be is because Chip has yet to have a QB that can run.
its hard to run read option with Nick Foles or Mark Sanchez when theres hardly any threat of the QB keeping the ball and running with it.

San Fran, Seattle, Carolina all run somewhat of a similar offense to Oregon at times, but Philly is really the only team that i see running it with regularity.
If a team (other than Philly) does take Mariota, they have to change their offensive scheme.
if they don't, they are dumb and he will bust imo

Also, the Oregon Scheme in large does not transfer well to the NFL. With the amount of money and stock (coaches career, team morale etc.) invested into a starting QB they cannot afford for them to get hurt. The best example of an Oregon style offense currently is the Seahawks, Carolina, and San Francisco do use bits and pieces of it. Carolina's QB runs are more like the old school Michael Vick runs, a mixture of drawn up, and basically no one being open so Cam tucking and running. SF is a perfect example of protecting their investment when Kaepernick took over they ran a ton of read option, his second year it was almost not in the playbook at all.

Quote:Originally posted by Midas Whale@Apr 30 2015, 09:53 AM
not to mention Denver and New England have 2 of the top 5 QBs of all-time…they'll have success no matter what type of offense they run

Fact: Manning/Brady would never be successful in a spread triple-option offense.

But I get what you mean there. Let's take those 2 schemes though. Place Winston/Mariota in those schemes and which one produces better? I think it's a closer race than some would think it is, and maybe even Mariota succeeds better with Gronk than Winston.

Quote:Originally posted by probablydrunk@Apr 30 2015, 09:58 AM

Also, the Oregon Scheme in large does not transfer well to the NFL.  With the amount of money and stock (coaches career, team morale etc.) invested into a starting QB they cannot afford for them to get hurt.  The best example of an Oregon style offense currently is the Seahawks, Carolina, and San Francisco do use bits and pieces of it.  Carolina's QB runs are more like the old school Michael Vick runs, a mixture of drawn up, and basically no one being open so Cam tucking and running.  SF is a perfect example of protecting their investment when Kaepernick took over they ran a ton of read option, his second year it was almost not in the playbook at all.

Fun fact: Kaepernick practiced with Kurt Warner to improve his pocket presence and throwing motion. Is Mariota a better player than Kaepernick when he was drafted? I think so, so I believe he can be able to go more pocket-based and succeed in a new system. Kaepernick makes this case easy: he ran a wild Read Option in Nevada and SF tried to accomodate to him and failed. Rather than flame out, Kaep recouped and studied the throwing game, and if Mariota follows suit immediately, he can be more successful.

Quote:Originally posted by probablydrunk@Apr 30 2015, 10:58 AM

Also, the Oregon Scheme in large does not transfer well to the NFL.  With the amount of money and stock (coaches career, team morale etc.) invested into a starting QB they cannot afford for them to get hurt.  The best example of an Oregon style offense currently is the Seahawks, Carolina, and San Francisco do use bits and pieces of it.  Carolina's QB runs are more like the old school Michael Vick runs, a mixture of drawn up, and basically no one being open so Cam tucking and running.  SF is a perfect example of protecting their investment when Kaepernick took over they ran a ton of read option, his second year it was almost not in the playbook at all.
Thats why i think Mariota will only succeed in Philly.
Philly has put all their faith in Chip Kelly and he's basically going all out with his system.
If it works, teams will follow.
and if it doesnt work, it's going to take a long time for another coach like that to get an NFL job.

I just don't see any other coaches changing their system that drastically and I don't think Mariota will be able to adjust.
Maybe he will prove me wrong, but a QB coming out a collegiate system like that has never really succeeded in the NFL.
Theres a lot of them that have failed tho.

Quote:Originally posted by Midas Whale@Apr 30 2015, 10:04 AM

Philly has put all their faith in Chip Kelly and he's basically going all out with his system.
and if it doesnt work, it's going to take a long time for another coach like that to get an NFL job.

I just don't see any other coaches changing their system that drastically and I don't think Mariota will be able to adjust.
Maybe he will prove me wrong, but a QB coming out a collegiate system like that has never really succeeded in the NFL.

You can say the same about pro-style systems too. Look at the USC QBs, coming from one of the most legendary pro-style offenses around. Leinart flamed out, Barkley is riding the pine, and Sanchez has hd flashes of greatness tarnished by picks and butt fumbles. It depends on the man, not the system. I feel Mariota the man can succeed.

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Apr 30 2015, 11:06 AM

You can say the same about pro-style systems too. Look at the USC QBs, coming from one of the most legendary pro-style offenses around. Leinart flamed out, Barkley is riding the pine, and Sanchez has hd flashes of greatness tarnished by picks and butt fumbles. It depends on the man, not the system. I feel Mariota the man can succeed.
well of course, but there are plenty of examples of pro-style system QBs succeeding in the NFL as well.
i honestly can't think of a college (strictly) up-tempo spread/read-option QB really succeeding in the NFL

So I don't follow much College Football, but from what I've seen, I would love Green-Beckham I guess due to personal shit he's a first round talent but 2nd round likely pick? I wouldn't mind New England trading back (like they always do) if they think they can get him but still bolster the defense to make up some ground lost with recent departures.

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Midas Whale@Apr 30 2015, 08:04 AM

Completely Agree!

NFL players are too smart, too fast to be over and over by similar schemes. The fool me once adage applies to the majority of NFL D Coordinators.

Quote:Originally posted by probablydrunk@Apr 30 2015, 10:18 AM

Completely Agree!

NFL players are too smart, too fast to be over and over by similar schemes.  The fool me once adage applies to the majority of NFL D Coordinators.

And yet the tried and true pro-style system succeeds. Isn't that a system that has been studied endlessly? Wouldn't it be an advantage to try a new technique using players of an old system or using a new player for the old system to give it more diversity?

I think OCs are adapting to confuse DCs. Mariota is the first in a line of QBs that grew up in the spread but can adapt and play the pro.

Yeah the pro system is tried and true, man beat man.

Really it comes down to the investment,if you sell out for an Oregon style offense. Mariota goes down, you have to change your whole outlook mid season. That is definitely not a winning recipe.

I'm not sure how i feel about La'el Collins.
He would be a huge steal for the Pats if he falls to 32 at a position of need.

but coming off of the Hernandez issue…idk Smile)

if he really did have nothing to do with it, i feel bad for him…what shitty timing

Quote:Originally posted by Midas Whale@Apr 30 2015, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure how i feel about La'el Collins.
He would be a huge steal for the Pats if he falls to 32 at a position of need.

but coming off of the Hernandez issue…idk Smile)

if he really did have nothing to do with it, i feel bad for him…what shitty timing
From what I've heard there's a possibility he goes undrafted until he's exonerated (Assuming he really did have nothing to do with it)

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

So I dont really follow college shit.

What happened?

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Apr 30 2015, 11:48 AM
So I dont really follow college shit.

What happened?
La'el Collins is being questioned in a murder case involving his deceased pregnant ex-GF

he and his agent have said they have an alibi and the police are saying he isn't a suspect.
but still…not a good look

Couldn't be a worse time to have your name and the word murder in the same sentence for a youngster.