Create Account

Lakes disappointed with Impact offenses slow start

The honey moon is officially over and its back to work for the Montreal Impact following what was a storied off-season. Following last years championship season the Impact gave there fans an exciting crop of young draftees, two stars signings at forward and a training camp loaded with all the hype and excitement of a playoff hockey game. Yes, it seemed as though the Impact had it all coming into this season, a star goalie, a strong defense, offensive playmakers. Many media outlets picked Montreal as there favorite to repeat as season 8 NWJHL champions again this year. After a 1-1-1 start to the season, however, it appears as though Montreal may have as many questions as they have answers. Montreal currently holds down the 4th overall spot in the league and have managed to scrape together 3 points. A lot of people may look at this as a bright spot for Montreal , 4th place is overall is middle of the road. A major problem, however, has been Montreals lack of offense. In three games Montreal has only been able to muster 5 goals while there opponents have managed to put 8 past Heiss. This statistic is perplexing as Montreal was predicted to have one of the best scoring lines in the league. The combination of Brovalchuk, Whisonant and Lakes was expected to be lethal against opponents, with each forward possessing elite star qualities. In the first three games, however, that first line has only been able to post three assists combined and each forward currently stands at a -3. Karsten Hansel, Matikainen-Kallstrom Schwarzen, and Reese King, Montreals 3 top defensive players, have scored 3 goals and 4 assists for a combined 7 points in the first three games of the season. The reason for the lack of performance from the first line is baffling, even to the three players themselves. It has no doubt effected the outcomes of the first three games, however. Following Montreals win last night over Kelowna we were able to catch up with winger Cris Lakes and bring these troubling stats to his attention.

Interview Cris, first of all congratulations on the first win of the season tonight, hows it feel?

Cris- Thanks, it feels good to finally get one under the “W” column. This hasn’t been the way we wanted to the start the season, trying to play catch up. It feels good either way to have our first win under the belt though.

Interview Cris, even with the win, another night were the first line just came away with zero production. What is going on out there with you guys?

[Image: 0420canucks2.jpg?w=620]
(Lakes and Whisonantsearch for answers following a 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit)

Cris- I wish I could tell you. I think everyone on that line needs to dig a little deeper. This isn’t the way any of us wanted to start the season. I think we all thought we were going to hit ice hard, game one and never look back. Instead the best scorers on the team are all still looking for there first goals of the season.

Interview Do you guys believe that you are the big reason why the Impact have only won one game so far?

Cris- I wouldn’t say that’s the only reason, but it’s a big one. As the first line were supposed to be the leaders out there. Its our job to spark the team and its our job to get those tough goals when the game is on the line. We haven’t done that at all this year and it puts the other player on our team in tough positions.

Interview What do you think is causing the line to struggle so much, is it opposing defenders, is the line not jelling?

Cris- I don’t think its any of that stuff. We had a great preseason together and jelled just fine. I think the three of us are just frustrated, and when one thing goes wrong it just starts to unravel from there.

[Image: 04e8fb00-1d0f-4d68-afe1-59eed6250158.jpg]
(Cris Lakes has struggled to find his shot in the first 3 games of the season)

Interview Do you guys think you can over come the slow start to the season that you guys have had?

Cris- Of course we can. I mean we’ve had this terrible start and we are still 1-1-1 with 3 points and in 4th place. Imagine what this team will be like when we are clicking on cylinders. All we need is one goal as a line to break the ice and get the monkey off our backs. Once that happens the flood gates will open.

Despite very minimal success Lakes and his line mates have held tight to a positive attitude. The question remains, however, how long can this team last without its top line putting up big points. The Impact get back to action tonight against the Washington Patriots. The Patriots at 1-2 have also struggled early on in this season. It may be an opportunity for the Impact to get there offensive horses running.

806 words 2 pics

hopefully that first win we got last night will start a very long winning streak for the impact. good read lakes Cheers

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

Heads up, we got your back Lakes.

Nice read! No need to worry though, I know this team can comeback!

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Armin think we do good soon

All good man, we're a team, we'll figure it out together!

Cheers