Create Account

Vader's Career in review an interview

**ready to be graded**

Q: Take us back a little more than a season ago when you announced you were joining the SHL after the SMJHL trade deadline in season 25?

A: I was pretty excited to showcase my skills in a higher global level league and see how I matched up against some of the best young players in the world. I thought I was going to get picked up by a team before the playoffs, but it was a tight squeeze in the SMJHL between the trade deadline and the start of the playoffs, so I was a little disappointed in that regard. It was, however, a long off season so I was able to build up my training more so than some other prospects as well as get a feel for the league and the major players and write a huge opening article about myself to help build up my bank account and get my name known out there.

Q: Did you have any specific teams contact you?

A: Yes, I had a couple for sure but the long off season seemed to take some of the swagger away from the whole process. Not having the combines hurt as well because I certainly would have liked to talk with a couple of other teams as well to gage their interest in me.

Q: What did you want teams to get out of their conversations with you?

A: I wanted them to know that I will be an active player in the league and do everything that I can to improve and earn my TPE’s. I am not going to be that guy all around the site giving my opinion on everything when it may or may not be needed or wanted, but I will definitely be active in the locker room and doing what I can to keep spirits high. Mainly, I wanted teams to make sure that I am a team player first and will do everything I can on and off the ice to help the team win.

Q: Where did you expect to go in the draft?

A: I thought I could go anywhere from the middle of the first round to the early second round based on the recreates that were in the draft as well as other new players that had entered after I did. I was hoping to go to one of a couple of teams, but after some trades and movement, a couple of teams fell deep into the second round, so that kinda gave me a better idea of where I could potentially get drafted.

Q: After the first couple of picks are made, what were your thoughts?

A: To be honest, I wasn’t surprised at all that I didn’t go in the top 5 and that point, I knew I would end up probably with one of two teams which certainly wasn’t a bad thing..

Q: Montreal then picks you and what were your thoughts about hearing your name called?

A: Pretty exciting to be honest. I was thinking I would probably to go to them based on my previous conversations and already had an idea of what my first SMJHL season was going to look like. It gave me an idea of what areas of my game I needed to improve upon to help the team.

[Image: hi-res-71301968_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75]

Q: Take us through training camp and the pre-season.

A: I knew I needed to work on skating, puck handling, strength, passing, etc so those were my main focus of training camp because I needed to make sure I could keep up with the players on my line as well as not getting knocked off the puck in either zone. Pre-season was great just because I was able to get out on the ice with everyone and see the how good the players were on the top two lines in order to make myself a better player and give me an idea of what exactly I needed to work on. I moved around a couple different lines in the pre-season as well as getting some time on the penalty killing units so both experiences were nothing but positives.

Q: How did the first part of the regular season go and what was it like not getting your first point in the SMJHL but also scoring your first goal considering you are a defensive defenseman?

A: The first couple of games were tough since I was only getting a hit or a shot block or two a game as well as just getting used to the North American game in general. Players were certainly bigger, stronger and faster than what I was used to, so I had to pay more attention to my positioning especially in my defensive zone so I wouldn’t get caught behind the play, but I think I was still even or better for my first handful of games. It was great being able to contribute offensively with assists and then I really only scored in 3 games the whole season with 2, 2 goal games and 1 goal in another. Teams would leave me open at the point, so why not take a chance and just get that puck on net and hope for either a goal or a nice rebound for my teammates.

Q: Where you disappointed in your season at all? You scored 5 goals and had 26 points overall.

A: It was actually better than I thought it would be. I thought I would be around the 15-20 point range with only scoring one or two goals. I think I am most proud of the fact that I was a +16 and in the top 5 of the league at the end of the season for being a second line rookie. Would have liked to have more hits and shot blocks, but those stats will come in time as I learn better positioning.

[Image: img24025752.jpg]

Q: Some labeled you as a draft bust – do you agree?

A: I don’t really think so since I wasn’t expected to put up big offensive numbers. I think based on where I went and the fact I jumped right on the second line and contributed well even strength and played the second most penalty killing minutes on the team, my contributions met my draft position. Like I stated before, people may not have been happy with my activity or that I didn’t post all over the place, but at the end of the day, I was active in the locker room and did my point tasks and wrote my own write-ups to continue to build my bank account. Also, I maxed out my post game shows and did one play by play in the playoffs with several compliments, so I am happy overall with what I did. If other people aren’t, then that’s too bad since this is for fun and people tend to take this way too seriously.

Q: The Impact won the President’s Trophy and head into the playoffs as the favorite, take us through that experience.

A: The playoffs are a different beast. The intensity is higher and mistakes are a lot more visible, so being prepared and ready to go for each game was a priority. We knew going against St Louis in the first round that it was going to be a tough battle since they were really 3 and 3 against us in regulation in the regular season even though we won 4 more in the shootout. However, it was a bummer to go out in the first round with expectations high, but we just ran into a buzz saw of a goaltender and the Scarecrows were led by their great captain Crutchfield. They outplayed us and just wanted it more than us in the end and sent us home packing in 5 games.

[Image: presidentstrophy.jpg]

Q: What were your expectations heading into each SHL’s teams pre-draft questions?

A: Similar questions to what I had encountered coming into the SMJHL draft but more centered around expecting to have a continual focus on staying active in the league and how would I continue to improve. I have always continued to stress that team success is more important than personal, so I wanted to make sure that the SHL teams knew that as well.

Q: Did any GMs contact you outside of the questionnaires and what were those conversations like?

A: I had a few of the teams contact me and they were good conversations. Mainly, “hey we are interested in you” and “what are your plans for the next couple of seasons”. A couple of conversations were back and forth with some good questions being asked on both sides. It was also good to hear some of their plans as well especially if they had a veteran team and were planning for the future or if they had a lot of picks in the next couple of drafts and were looking to fill a lot of holes and/or rebuilding. It was important to me that they had active locker rooms and the GM’s would continue to be a major voice in the development of my skills over the course of the next several seasons I would be with them. If I don’t improve the right way, then all I am doing is hurting the team in the long run and I definitely wanted to be a part of a draft class or two that would bring in a championship to whatever team would draft me.

Q: Did you get a feel for where you were going to go on draft day and how did it feel getting your name called in the spot that you went?

A: I knew I wasn’t going top 3 for sure, but after that, I knew I was going somewhere between 4th and bottom of first round or early second. Getting called at 5th overall was a big thrill and was really excited to go to the rebuilding effort in Minnesota. Being able to team up with Reay, Andersson, Gerrard and Vilhjalmsson down the road as well as the other great pieces they have in place right now is going to be a lot of fun. They also have a few veterans in place that I will be able to learn from and hopefully be able to step into their skates once their SHL careers are over. Like I mentioned earlier, being able to be part of a draft class that helps bring a championship to this organization is the goal especially since Minnesota hasn’t won in a few seasons. I knew I had a chance to go to Los Angeles in the 4th spot, but in the end, it didn’t fall that way and I am happy that I ended up in Minnesota.

[Image: nick-leddy.jpg?w=798]

Q: How has the reception been in Minnesota so far and what was it like signing on the dotted line with them?

A: Everyone has been great and I know a couple of them from being on the Impact squad so it made the transition that much easier. Plus, their GM knew me from the Impact, so that made going to the Chiefs exciting as well. Minnesota definitely have the pieces in place for a multi-season run at the championship down the road and I am glad to be a part of that opportunity. Signing that entry level contract was a thrill and being locked up by the Chiefs for the next three seasons takes a lot off of my mind. I cant wait to showcase my skills at the next level and leave no doubt in the organization’s mind that they made the right choice in drafting me. I would love to show the teams that passed on me that they made a mistake in passing me over.

Q: How did the SHL training camp go?

A: I definitely have a lot of work to do to get to that next level being the SHL, but I was able to work on my skating, passing and endurance and come away with an idea of how to be successful at that next level. Players are even bigger, faster and stronger at this level and I will need to be able to work as hard as I can to show that I belong at that next level and to be able to jump right into Minnesota’s top 6.

[Image: ONHN-012812-16.jpg]

Q: Was it a tough call to stay with the Chiefs?

A: It certainly was and it wasn’t a decision that I made very easily. I got a lot of opinions from several different people on the pros and cons and took all of them into account. One day I was like I am staying down, the next day, I was like I am moving up, so it was a very taxing decision for sure. In the end though, being able to start my SHL career was just too much for me to pass up and I am excited to get that part of my career going.

Q: What are your plans and expectations for this season with the Chiefs?

A: The obvious goal is to bring a championship to Minnesota especially since the Chiefs haven’t won for a while. I have worked hard on the other parts of my game from my defense, to my skating, endurance and passing to make myself a more well-rounded player which in turn makes the team better. I would be really surprised if I scored a goal this season, but I would definitely like to chip in with some assists and hopefully come away as a positive +/- player. Its going to be a tough first couple of seasons with the Chiefs, but I am willing to learn from the experience the team has on its roster and contribute anyway that I can. I will continue to stay active and do my PT’s so I can continue to improve throughout the season, but also be a little more active in the media or maybe look to take on a small position in the league, so I can help the league continue to grow as well. I will take whatever ice time I get from the team and learn from my mistakes and the veterans players to continue to develop my skills.

Q: How do you think Minnesota did in the draft this season?

A: With the 3rd and 5th picks in the draft, a team that is in a rebuilding mode has to probably at least hit a home run with one and get at least a double with the other one. Getting Reay at #3 was the home run pick and with him jumping right up the SHL level as well and his wealth of knowledge on building a player will certainly help especially with someone like me. Minnesota certainly got a double with me and it is up to me to turn that pick into a triple or a home run. Its nice to hear some other draftees say I was a steal at #5, but reality is the players that went before deserved the spots they went and its up to me to live up to the expectations that come with this pick. In addition to those picks, being able to resign a couple of players as well as attract Svensson to the team as a free agent signing will only help the team improve this season as the younger players on the team start to settle in.

Q: Are there any management level thoughts in your future once you leave the SMJHL or other jobs in the SHL that you may target down the road?

A: I would definitely like to continue to be active in the league in some role, but am not sure what that role is as of yet. I will certainly continue to apply and make it known that I would like to be a co-GM in the SMJHL and take on some sort of job in the SHL. Being a co-GM right now for the prospect tourney will be a fun experience and something that I can put on my SHL resume. This is certainly a different STHS experience versus the other leagues I am in as a true GM where success isn’t dependent on the activity of others per se. I definitely want to take an active role in Austria’s growth as a hockey country and try to get them more active on the national hockey scene.

Q: Speaking of Austria, how was your first international experience?

A: It was quite humbling to be honest. I knew I was going up against the best the world had to offer and really didn’t expect much out of my game. Certainly stinks that we came in last and I had a horrible +/- stat in the competition, but I am excited for the future of the program and look forward to being a cornerstone piece.

[Image: iihf-championship-austria-vs-slovenia-7.jpg]

Q: Rumors out of the Vader household is that a couple of kids are interested in joining the SHL?

A: My son is definitely interested but I thought he was too young considering he is 8 but is such a hockey nut and my 10 year old daughter has shown some interest too and is a one heck of a creative writer but I think she would lose interest quickly whereas I would have to help my son with the PTs. He will be a slow TPE earner and probably will not be overly active throughout the site, but will definitely help a SMJHL team for several seasons. He is always watching and wondering what I am doing on the site, so it would be pretty neat to have him to this as well. Doubtful he would join before the upcoming draft, but I could see him jumping in as a free agent maybe after the season starts. I might wait and see how the other youngster starts out in the league and kinda go from there and probably be in contact with NUCK to get any advice. He is a big fan of Letang so I could see him wanting to become an offensive defenseman in the league and modeling his game after Letang’s. Even if we didn’t get drafted to the same team in the SHL, I could still get him onto Austria’s roster and at least provide a little more depth.

Coming to the SHL soon??

[Image: 22856487._UY200_.jpg]

:impact: are gonna miss you buddy.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Jan 7 2016, 02:19 PM
:impact: are gonna miss you buddy.

Retweet

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]