Create Account

Pre-Draft Interview with Michael McFadden

You’ve come a long way since the draft. How are you feeling now that the season is over?

Well I’m very excited to get drafted, but I still taste the loss of that game 7 against Colorado. I feel our team had gotten so much stronger as the season progressed that if we could have won that game, and gotten one more update, we may have been able to be a dark horse for the cup.

But it’s time to focus on getting my name out there, make up for my poor performance this season, and get drafted!

2. How was your team experience?

The team was excellent, we definitely needed some more veterans on the ice, to help us compete, but off the ice the guys were great. We had some really good actives to help our locker room become lively and it made for a fun season.

3. Tell me about being a leader on your team. What were the expectations?

Being a leader for Prince George was easy, the guys are all on the same page, we all knew we were the under dogs and we all knew that winning a Four star cup was not going to happen over night. What was more difficult, was letting in so many goals, and getting pulled so many times, when the team is counting on me to keep them in the game.

4. You went through some rough patches as a rookie goalie for a young team. What was that like?

I’d say the roughest patch was when I started the season. I couldn't get a victory all year, but in the beginning of the season, I was so young and had so little TPE that I couldn’t even finish a game. It was frustrating to get pulled every night. However, once I upgraded my stats, I started finishing games, and I had some games where I actually played well in the loss, and even put up a few wins.

5. What was your thought process when training?

I need to give my team a chance to win. It bothered me to not be able to stop the other team from blowing us out. I knew it was only a matter of time that I started getting good enough for this league, but the only way to get it done was through training very hard.

6. What are your goals for next season?

I want to get Prince George to compete with the other teams. I don’t want to be the laughing stock of the league again. If all of us youngsters can continue to train hard and lead this team properly, I think we can be a good team next year.

7. What do you think are the biggest assets you can bring to a team?

I think I work as hard, or harder than anyone else on this planet. No one can say they earned more TPE than I did in the same time period. I get every single point I can to add to my player, and I will continue to do so in the SHL.

8. Why do you think you deserve to be the top drafted goalie this year?

I think I’m the only true gem between the pipes this year. I think everyone is watching Martin Lewis-Flood and how much of a great prospect he’s become for West Kendall, and it’s sinking in that I’m the next one, and I can be as good as him, and maybe even better.

9. What other draftees do you consider top competition?

I think my 2 team mates Bennet Jones and Kjell Eide are great prospects, they’ve scored a ton in their first year and have been very active. I think Quinn Stevenson is another great prospect, leading all rookies in scoring and he did so from the blue line. Jackson Cartier and Gunnar Rask are other big names, Mikko Lina and Marc Andre Moreau as well have great draft stocks.

10. What is one thing you want every team and GM to know?

That I plan on being the face of your franchise, you draft me and I guarantee my loyalty. I don't want to leave the team that drafts me, and I plan on playing for a very long time.

11. What did you enjoy about PGF?

The youth, the excitement. It was a fun place to be.

12. If you could change one thing about the team or season, what would it be?

I would want to have a few veterans help us win games. Specifically a few solid vets on defines to help me keep the puck out of the net!

13. Do you have any teammates you’d like to spotlight for skill?

Bennett Jones is a super star in the making, a great goal scorer.

14. What about personality?

Kjell Eide is a fantastic leader, in the room he’s just a joy to have around.

15. What are your thoughts on the early retirement of forward Kylo Ren?

It’s a shame, we could have used him next season to help us try and be competitive, but he was having a rough time scoring, and I heard he’s going to try Basketball instead.

16. For personal questions… what do you do in your free time?

I train! I play soccer as well, and I hang out with the boys.

17. Are you a cat person or a dog person?

I used to be a dog person, but since we got this cat, she’s converted me. Cats are awesome when they are friendly and like to be around you.

18. What’s your favorite kind of food? Do you get take-out a lot?

Pizza is my best friend.

19. Goalies are known to be weird. What are your routines?

I listen to music and get super excited before a game. Like I get annoyingly excited, dancing around, bothering people, they’re going to lock me up in the equipment room soon.

20. Finally, give one piece of advice for new SMJHL rookies.

Work hard and get your name out there. Don't just post media in the SMJHL section, SHLers rarely read that stuff. Go get your name out there with the big dogs, SHL media, write for them, and make them realize who you are, and how valuable you can be to their team.

basketball :lol: great answers bud!

Quote:Originally posted by engine@Feb 24 2016, 01:38 AM
basketball :lol: great answers bud!

Cheers

Cats are where it's at Cheers Nice piece!