Create Account

Boomcheck's First Round Mock AKA I have no idea what's going on

<div align="center">Personal Mock Draft here for the first round only for now, mainly because I don't have the draft lists for Vancouver and Halifax. Pretty decent pool of prospects this season honestly and some potential surprises. This is just my current opinion AKA I probably won't use this on the mock PT and will probably copy someone's random draft. I'm disregarding most recreates except for a particular former Detroit management duo just because. No, honestly, if you were looking for a well-thought out article regarding the placement and draft order of prospects with articulate points to back each decision up ... Then this article probably isn't for you! I also randomly ramble about irrelevant stuff so enjoy this not-really article.

[Image: 8d987f50-2a84-11e6-9482-ab7c865760fb_BO-...Images.jpg]

1. KELOWNA KNIGHTS
Jason Aittokalio - G
Only basing this off whether Kelowna keeps their first overall pick, their starting goaltender will graduate to the SHL so it leaves a big hole to be filled. Thing is from my extensive research(Just scanned like two threads), there hasn't been a goaltender selected with the first overall pick in the SMJHL. Why you say? The SMJHL and SHL are a little different regarding this but the SMJHL has a permanent bracket of 350 TPE that is the cap for a player. Sometimes goaltenders perform randomly in the sim so most stay away from selecting them too early. (Recently Casey Holmes did go third overall to St.Louis two drafts ago). Goaltenders are more likely to stay down to get more playing time than most players so he will be down for atleast an extra season before graduating. He has a very solid track record (Not sure how he isn't sick of being a goaltender though, but at this point JY can do whatever the hell he wants since the dude has earned it.) If I were Kelowna (There's a reason i'm not a SMJHL GM), I would likely just trade down to select a different goaltender or maybe even still land Aitto Jr. BUT if there is any goaltender being selected first overall, it's probably him.

2. DETROIT FALCONS
C - Joey Ryan
I want to pick a new guy for this slot here, I really do. Just a tiny problem. Detroit might like to bring Buster back into the fold of the Detroit organization. Seems to be a pretty solid all-around type player as of now and generally skaters are of high commodity. He has been ontop of his point tasks and has bought some equipment so I expect this to be a nice investment for any team. The Falcon's current #C hasn't logged in for a while so maybe Ryan will have his chance to shine and become #1 by the time the post-season rolls around.

3. VANCOUVER WHALERS
D - Greta Iversen
The Vancouver Whalers have updated their appearance and will also be looking to update their roster. Thing is their goaltender just retired, but I believe it was done in the off-season so he will be around for one final season but perhaps they will look to find a potential upgrade in the draft. They have a lot of picks in the first two rounds so I expect them to take a goaltender later if the draft shakes out the way it has in my mock. The Whalers are in desperate need of another defenseman here so Iversen would be a solid pick up. A tad bit surprised, in a good way that is. She has been quite active and updating well so that's always a plus--- And she is apart of a podcast (I haven't listened to it yet, not sure if I should). Been improving her skating lately which is always a good target as it allows you to keep up with the play. A two way defenseman and I noticed she has worked on her weakness just a tad so that is interesting. I think Greta Iversen has potential but it is up to the GMs to see it.

4. HALIFAX RAIDERS
LW - Pietra Volkova
The Halifax Raiders will likely have four defensemen coming down to the SMJHL for another season, so their top-4 is pretty much solidified. Do I expect them to take a defenseman? Yeah, sure do. They got so many picks that they might aswell and that one defenseman can play as a #5 this season and be a top pairing defender the following season. Though personally it's not my cup of tea. They could really use a winger here and I believe that the russian sniper Volkova would make for a good pick up at this spot. She somehow nabbed a job already, is apart of that one podcast crew. She b-- Wait what, has equipment too? I don't know what's going on exactly but she seems to be doing well. Looks to be an explosive sniper that can carry possession, which may be one of my favorite builds for the SMJHL.

5. ST. LOUIS SCARECROWS
C- Alex Kepka
The S29 SMJHL Champions make their first pick at #5, pretty sweet draft slot even after winning it all, got to love the lottery system. They have some pretty good defensemen but there are definitely spots still up for grabs in their top-4. In all honesty, they could use everything! I might not be mentioning the new goaltenders(Kirkstone, Wahlgren and Rudnikova) all too often-- I haven't forgotten about any of you and knew the names off the top of my head ... Except Rudnikova had to run that back to the prospect pages because I obviously hate russian names. There will honestly be a home for all of you with a starter position open but it will be up to you to solidify your status and not fizzle out like most of the last draft class. Now to the special prospect at hand, Alex Kepka. It is no secret that centers hold high value in any type of draft and I think this is no exception. I look forward to seeing more out of him and I hink his value can go up if he continues to do articles and whatnot. Seems to be another solid 2-way center so it should be a fine draft for him.

6. HALIFAX RAIDERS
D - Kristofer Hallfredsson
This is where I kind of want to stop this article, as the Raiders return! I should probably put a goaltender here but I am sure they will be happy for now knowing that this will probably be a team that could use you. For the sake of this being a completely worthless mock draft, I think I will aim for another defenseman even though these guys probably won't even need more this early. Kristofer Hallfredsson is his name and the guy has been real active these past few days. I like where his build is going and the man should be able to handle his minutes to play solid and valuable minutes. I did say that the top-4 of Halifax might be set, but I was probably lying! Hallfredsson can definitely wrestle for that #4 spot throughout the season and I believe he has the ability to accomplish just that.

7. VANCOUVER WHALERS
D - Adriana Starosta
The Whalers show up once again, hurray. Since I am completely biased, I think they could use another defenseman to score from the back end. This Czech defenseman should be an answer to what they are looking for. Good defensively enough that she will be able to provide as a puck carrier up the ice and even set up their own plays to score goals. I think every team could use a player like this on the power play if Starosta continues to improve at they rate they have been. I believe Vancouver has the potential to do a lot of damage this draft, so why not start off drafting two defenseman to solidify the back-end right?

8. COLORADO MAMMOTHS

C - Alex Reed
Holy cow, we're almost at the finish line. Thank god it was was only one round because I have no idea how I would have done two. I like this team and they have a really intriguing position in the draft. Regarding their needs though, Colorado has a solid roster looking poised to compete. I believe they might also be in search of a goaltender but am uncertain if they will want to draft one so high. I feel that they could use a #2 behind Stamkos Jr so I believe Alex Reed to be a good choice here if he can start contributing more with articles and activity! Even though they could probably use another winger but that goes to show you how knowledgeable I truly am. Seems like the usual well-rounded centerman build we have been seeing right now. If he continues growth then I can see him being used in all situations.

Thanks for the bonus 1 million, SMJHL. Until next time ...
In Loving Memory of Thor Skarsgard.
</div>

Code:
Word Count: Like 1.5k

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

Quote:Originally posted by Boomcheck@Jul 20 2016, 01:42 PM
A tad bit surprised, in a good way that is. She has been quite active and updating well so that's always a plus--- And she is apart of a podcast (I haven't listened to it yet, not sure if I should).

You should B)

You need to write more articles Boomcheck, this was great.

Cheers

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

<object width="460" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpcYAvvYLFI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpcYAvvYLFI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="460" height="315"></embed></object>

rest in peace Thor Skarsgaard

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]