Create Account

PT #4: City Living

THIS PT IS ONLY OPEN TO SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. SMJHL PLAYERS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS PT.

SHL S30 PT #4 City Living

This PT is worth a maximum of 3 capped TPE.

Submission deadline:
At or before Monday, August 22nd at 7:30 PM EST. Placeholders are not allowed for this PT.

Grading deadline: Will be graded on the fly as per request

When a player joins a team, sometimes they become the face of a whole city. (See: Sidney Crosby, Wayne Gretzky, etc)

Written option: Write 200 words about what your player loves most about living in the city he or she lives in

Graphics option: Make a poster or a billboard of a player that can be put up in their city. Must include the team name, player name, and a player render.

If you have any questions, please refer to the PT Rubric.

[Image: 57817_s.gif]

Lukas Berger likes living in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The young Austrian loves his sports so you wouldn't be surprised seeing him at the NHL's Winnipeg Jet games, the AHL's Manitoba Moose games or the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bomber games. Obviously the NHL games are a top priority for Berger followed by Moose games then the Blue Bombers.

Berger usually can be seen at the hockey games with Flembae, Manious, Einstein and Robertson. However they don't like to go to the AHL or CFL games. The NHL Jets, Berger says his favorite player is Mark Scheifele. In the AHL, he likes watching Josh Morrissey and Eric Comrie. In the CFL, Berger likes running back Andrew Harris.

Berger is looking forward to the new NHL season as there is a lot of people in Winnipeg who expect a breakout for the NHL Jets to make a push for the playoffs. The AHL Moose are also expected to have a good season since the NHL Jets have built a solid cupboard of prospects.

Berger has also built a strong relationship with Connor Hellebucyk who is expected to take over the number 1 in the NHL's Winnipeg Jets soon enough. Connor is seen at the SHL Winnipeg Jets game with some of his friends like Tyler Myers, Dustin Byfuglien and Nikolaj Ehlers.

The beauty of living in Edmonton is that there is more than what meets the eye. Jaxson Reynolds knows this all too well after he moved there from Denver where he spent his SMJHL days. From the mountains to the west to the arctic tundra up north, Edmonton is in a prime location.

Having the ability to attend Edmonton Eskimo CFL games or to catching a Edmonton Oilers game on the days off; Reynolds enjoys the Edmonton limelight when he finds it. The nightlife in Edmonton fantastic and consists of hitting up Johnny's Pub on 5th Avenue or even attending one of the many block parties near the Golden Palace nightclub. Edmonton is perfect for a professional athlete because of it's rich history with winning and the ability to train at many of the gyms in the area.

The Rocky Mountains to the wets are great for hikes and views. With nearby lakes and various lakes to see, Edmonton provides a ton of outdoor fun. The newly renovated downtown core is perfect for the young generation of today and tomorrow. Blizzard players are often seen at the downtown Ruby's diner picking up a good pasta before game time. You want excitement? Edmonton is the stop for all of it. Reynolds advocates Edmonton for all types of families and mostly for players!

[Image: cDMBWce.png]
[Image: 0tCQttQ.png]
LA Panthers Goaltender

[Image: r7svlz.png]

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

Los Angeles, the City of Angels, City of Lights, City of Dreams, whatever you want to call it, it is simply amazing.

For Sebastian Strange who played in St. Louis for his SMJHL career, LA is just in another league all to itself and no other SHL city can compare to its diversity and splendor.

LA has everything you could want, from high end shops, to beach’s with beautiful people all the way to famous people and their legendary parties and nightlife. But it also has a vibrant art community, observatories and parks…it is the one city in the SHL that really has everything, for everyone’s taste.

This is what Sebastian likes the most about LA, you simply can not get bored in this city, there is always something to do and someone new dreaming that LA will be their big break, just like Sebastian.

Often you can find Sebastian at other sporting events, seeing the LA Dodgers, or LA Lakers/Clippers in action, though he hasn’t taken in a LA Rams game yet, he plans to attend those as well. LA is the mecca for everything on the West coast and is truly amazing seeing fellow athletes perform at the top of their game like seeing Kobe Bryant play, Clayton Kershaw and others is simply incredible.

If not at a game, Sebastian enjoys the nightlife and luckily for him can blend into the crowd, as he is one of the least well known Panthers…all in all, LA can’t be beaten.

~250 words

Hailing from the mean streets of Anacrime Hills California, DJ Flemmy Flem is used to some of the best weather the United States has to offer. Sunny skies, barely any clouds, and the kind of heat you could only generate from one of Sparks Lightning's mixtapes. It would probably surprise you to learn that since moving to the beautiful city of Winnipeg that he has grown quite fond of the colder weather.

That isn't the only reason why Luke Fleming is finding such a great home in the "Gateway to the West." He has also visited The Canadian Museum for Human Rights more than once and has been warned by local authorities not to vape there yet it doesn't seem like he has heeded their warnings. (he said something about standing up for his rights) He has since been spotted at the Assiniboine Park Zoo staring at the polar bear exhibit while once again vaping from some kind of device. It's still encouraging to know that despite the fact that he has become somewhat a star in the city of Winnipeg, Fleming hasn't shown himself too uptight to show up to the renowned Manitoba Museum from time to time to talk to young hockey fans in front various exhibits and fossils related to the Cretaceous Period. We aren't sure at this time if he was also vaping in the museum but we're going to go with a strong "maybe." You gotta take the good with the bad folks.

[Image: 46381_s.gif]
sigs by ToeDragon84
[Image: Jpcs9tG.png]

<div align="center">It’s been quite a ride so far for Don Pellegrino’s young career. After being selected by the Colorado Mammoths and moving from his home town of Montreal, Don was extremely excited to know that where he would be playing his SHL hockey would be of close proximity to his native city. Even thought Don was not born in Canada, Montreal has always been home for Don after moving there at the age of 6. Montreal has welcomed the Pellegrino with open arms.

There is nothing bad to say about Montreal. There is always something to do or something to see. The diversity of the city makes it all the more enjoyable. Don loves to party and the night life never disappoints. Since Don is such a sporting fanatic, the mix between the Montreal Canadiens and the Montreal Impact combines the sport that he plays for a living and the sport that he has always cherished as a child from Europe. Being one of the biggest hockey cities in the world has made it just that much easier for Don Pellegrino to become the successful player that he is today. There is always somewhere to play a pick-up game or train. He hopes that he can give back to the city that gave him everything and be amongst the best players from the city.

223 words
</div>

[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

PILOT BUTTE TIMES-- A Peek At Our Peeps

It's been a whirlwind of travel for SMJHL sophomore Kelly Rivet. From humble beginnings on South 5th street in our very own tiny town of Pilot Butte, Saskatchewan, all the way to Missouri and the home of the St. Louis Scarecrows.

Rivet has found himself living in St. Louis for little over a year and a half now. When asked to comment on what it was like living in St. Louis, Rivet said: "It's like a second home to me now. I know the little corner shop a couple blocks from my apartment. There's a girl there who can make my espresso feature any of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the cup's whip - pretty talented, hey? I know the hockey arena is only a hop, skip, and a jump away from my tenement entrance. And, oh, the people here have been incredible! Especially to an easy-going (and easily overwhelmed) country boy like myself.

"I remember when I first got in. I had no idea how to hail a taxi. My cell phone was dead, so I had no real way of calling for one. Social anxiety disallowed me from asking anyone around the airport for a phone to call said taxi, but then a lovely retired couple, on their way home to Belleville, gave me the taxi they were about to ride in. I guess they saw me standing around the White zone with a lost look in my eyes and took pity on me.

"From that first interaction, I knew I'd love this place! And I really have! Also, a shout out to The Crack Fox. It's a happenin' place!"

We couldn't really stop Kelly from talking, so we included his entire response. Catch us next time on... A Peek At Our Peeps! Where we feature interviews with all the people who have left Pilot Butte.

Code:
Word count: 310~

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn

Vancouver, BC - When Conklin Owen broke into the league, it was the connections he had with former Whalers which led him to sign with Vancouver. At the time, the city itself played absolutely not role in his decision, in fact, he was a bit tentative at first...

"Honestly, I had never been to Vancouver prior to signing the contract with them. When I came in to put pen to paper, that was the first time I ever set foot in the city. I've always lived on the East Coast, so this was going to be a huge move for me, and I was a little bit worried about it. But, the Vancouver alum I'd talked to encouraged me to give it a chance, assuring me that I'd fall in love with it. I decided all I could do was take them at their word, and give it a shot."

It didn't take long for Conklin to realize that they were right... Vancouver offers a lot to a young, adventurous, outgoing fellow. The excellent food scene here was one of the first things to reel Conklin in:

"As much as I miss a good white hot, or a heaping garbage plate... the food here is amazing! Speaking of hot dogs, my guilty pleasure might be the Terimayo hot dogs at Japadog. Also, living so close to the coast is great, because I love seafood. I love picking up a bowl of paella pretty much any time at Chambar, or ceviche at L’Abattoir. The list goes on and on, I haven't even come close to trying everything yet."

The night life was also appealing to Owen early on:

"Going out here is super fun... There's so many places to take a date out, that's a big plus! We can try sake out at Artisan SakeMaker, grab a Mai Tai at Uva Wine & Cocktail Bar, try out spirits at Liberty Distillery. All good places to start a night out. When it's the guys, we hit up Sailor Hagar's, Dockside, 33 Acres... This team loves beer, by the way, which I love."

But ultimately, the biggest draw for Conklin Owen, after his 2 years here, have been the fans.

"The fans here have really embraced me. I'm an American dude from the other side of the continent. I wasn't sure if I'd fit in all that well, of it the people would take to me. Turns out, if you put it all out there on the ice, and you're anything but a complete jackass in public, people anywhere will come to love you. I still get total strangers coming up to me and thanking me for our unlikely run to the cup finals last year. Hell, after our poor regular season, and ultimately failing to secure the cup, I didn't expect thanks. I know personally I felt like we failed- But they stuck with us all year, and got super excited when we kept knocking off higher seeds in the playoffs, even if we lost in the end. They're proud to be fans, and that makes me feel amazing. I'm really hoping we can bring some more playoff magic to them this coming year, with a different final result, us being the organization and fan base being crowed the champs."

It's clear that while Conklin Owen may not be from here, he's one of us. He's endeared himself to the city by buying in completely, and enjoying it along the way. He's frequently out and about, interacting amongst the "mere mortals", and doing so in a very humble way. With the way he acts on, and off the ice, you can't help but root for him.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

[Image: Billboard.jpg]

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

Wow what do I love most about living in Los Angeles, well Los Angeles is actually a really nice city compared to Manhattan or Texas. It’s always warm outside, so whenever I wake up and leave my house I can breathe that beautiful Los Angeles AMERICAN air and be content. Coming from San Francisco, I would have never thought I would move to Los Angeles, but the city has been great so far. I am within walking distance of Disneyland and I can always go to the Universal Studios whenever I want. Did I also mention there are beaches here? Such a beautiful site to see, and frankly, if I ever got traded I would probably still live in LA. I love everyone in Los Angeles, whether it be the pimps or the hoes, or even the homeless people that try to get rides from me on the way home from games. Most of all, I love the fans of the team, they are the ones that make me want to play hockey every single day, and they are the reason the Panthers are alive. Last but not least, I love the Mexicans and the food they have in LA, I just love it so much and wouldn’t trade anything for it.

Akashi SixNine Jr. Updates

Having grown up in the village of Hell in northern Norway, defenceman Mia Landvik of the SHL New England Wolfpack is decidedly out of her element in what, comparatively, is the sprawling metropolis of Boston, Massachusetts. Thankfully, having spent three seasons in Kelowna playing for the SMJHL Knights, the transition has been a gradual one. Whether the population is one thousand, 100 thousand, or 646 thousand, one thing has always stayed the same: it can be damn cold, and Landvik loves it.

"Winter is definitely my favourite season," she said in a recent interview with Wolfpack TV. "Of course, since it's when we play hockey! But more than that, I just love the snow and the atmosphere. I'm fine with when it gets hot; summer can be fun, too, but I just really like getting to bundle up in cozy winter gear. I basically collect scarves, my favourite is one that Cara Hohenberg knitted for me."

Asked what else she likes about living in Boston, Landvik immediately responds, "The history. One of the best things about getting to travel so much for games is seeing different cities around North America and getting a sense of how the culture of the place came to be. Most things aren't as old here as they are in Europe, of course, but Boston is obviously one of the oldest places in America. It's really interesting to think about when you're just walking around or whatever."

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

[Image: billboards.jpg]

[Image: HansSHL.gif]

<div align="center">Growing up in Manhattan I got to see everything, but once I got drafted to Texas I thought nothing would be here and it would be boring but that's not the same mindset for me anymore. I love this place out of all the places I have lived in from Texas to Manhattan to LA this has to be the best place.

The houses down here are really cheap and I get to afford a huge house for myself and my hoes. I'm a huge basketball fan, so whenever I get the chance I can either go to Dallas/Houston game but I'm a New York Knicks fan but in general I love basketball so any game I can end up in I would go there. I really like to go on adventures and some of the places I have found in Texas are just pure amazing such as Big Bend National Park, Guadalupe Mountains National Park and Natural Bridge Caverns. You can go on adventures anytime you want here plus they have lot's of events going on every week so it's fun when you go to them because some people say the people are not nice but that's wrong. If you ever want to come down here, I would recommend it to anyone. It doesn't disappoint. </div>

Living in Montreal was quite a transition for Milita centre Filip Granlund. Not only was he moving to a city away from his native country of Finland, but he was having to learn not one, but two new languages. Lucky for him, his teammates were welcoming and helped him get his feet on the ground in this unfamiliar city. Now, after spending a year in Montreal, Filip had a few of his favorite things about the city lined up to share with the media.

When asked what one of his favorite things about Montreal was, Granlund replied "I really like the restaurants here. They all have amazing food, and I'm pretty sure the bakery down the street from my apartment knows my order by heart now."

Granlund also told media that he has enjoyed the winters. "The winter here reminds me of home. Cold, but warm enough I can easily go out for a run in the mornings with my dog.

"The people here are another reason I love Montreal. Everyone was kind, and willing to help me out when I got lost, or couldn't find my way to the arena for practice." said a smiling Granlund as a finishing thought. " I'm sure there's more great things that I haven't discovered yet, so I'll have to keep looking!"

[Image: Jepox.gif]