Create Account

Wahlgren Hits First GM Press Conference

Code:
Ready to Grade. 1,461 Words.

Thank you for your time today everyone... A bit overdue, it has been a whirlwind of two weeks. This time now two weeks ago I was preparing for what would be my last draft, as the S31 SHL Draft was on the horizon. A bit nervous and truly excited, I found myself bouncing between alot of excited organizations. I truly feel, as I did after the SMJHL Draft, that Portland was my calling at number 3.

While the draft position as a goalie was called into skepticism with a much more experienced goaltender being drafted a spot behind myself, it has given me motivation and truly provided a chip on my shoulder to remain an active member of this league.

As the waters seemingly calmed, I was back in St. Louis preparing for the upcoming season looking forward to what will be most likely my last chance at a Four Star Cup. Then I get the message and the news from <a href='index.php?showuser=89' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-9'>Cuffy</a> .

In a mere blink of an eye I was named Co-GM of the SHL Portland Admirals and from that moment my focus has taken on a whole new path.

My appreciation goes out to <a href='index.php?showuser=2005' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-7'>CRUTCHFIELD</a> and <a href='index.php?showuser=1787' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>TML99</a> in really helping me through the initial encouragement that it was something I was ready for. In addition, I want to say thank you to all of my fellow S31 SHL Draft class for much of their support as well and for many of the other veteran members of the site... It has been truly humbling.

Learning the GM tasks to complete before the start of every season is truly remarkable and the respect I have for current and former GMs that do this every season is a testament to the dedication of this league. In saying, this... It absolutely sucked learning, completing, and posting. I mean that in a sarcastically, fulfilling way of course Wink

Quickly I found myself in the middle of doing things I wasn't experienced in, but within an organization that has been seemingly dubbed as a 'Continual Rebuild'. To be honest, I couldn't be more excited for my opportunity in Portland with a GM like <a href='index.php?showuser=89' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-9'>Cuffy</a> .

My vision and aptitude, along with his knowledge of the SHL, will make Portland a location that will be desirable without question. Time and again GMs make these statements, but as I take motivation in being taken early in the draft... I also use the same motivation to prove to other established organization that Portland will be in the mix by S34.

The desire to build Portland from the ground up is the first-and-foremost strategy as my tenure begins. With trades like the one with Buffalo, in which we saw a very good prospect ( <a href='index.php?showuser=2271' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Avakael</a> ) leave us but with two very active prospects ( <a href='index.php?showuser=2275' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>suir</a> and <a href='index.php?showuser=2280' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>daBenchwarmer</a> ) and a draft pick which will acquire another active body. Then followed up by a trade with Edmonton only hours later which saw a currently inactive leave us with a 3rd Rounder to then acquire two First Round picks and a body for defense.

While congrats and criticism came in multiple forms, I stand by our decisions whole-heartedly. I obviously wished the best to <a href='index.php?showuser=2271' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Avakael</a> as he truly will do great things in Buffalo and may someday even get an opportunity to come back to Portland.

What we are excited for is building a contender from within, not by giving away high picks for rentals or big ticket free agents every season. By working through drafts and finding key positional free agents to fill our niches, developing an active locker room, we will have Portland in place that it hasn't been in before.

With that being said... Questions are welcomed... But will close the thread in 24 hours.

Quote: <a href='index.php?showuser=589' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>JPL</a>

How long you plan on staying in St.Louis?

I think it really all relies on how quick I can gain this TPE and build my goalie.&nbsp; Currently Portland has Bauer, who is an inactive, and isn't far out of reach.&nbsp; So in saying that, this may be my last go in St. Louis.

What areas of the team you wish to improve?

All? Not necessarily improve though, just change the expectations.&nbsp; People seem to express Portland is in a constant rebuild.&nbsp; This can only be changed successfully by having activity.&nbsp; Look at New England... It's a great organization to model regardless of the criticism they seem to receive on personal levels.

Hows working with Cuffy?

Cuff is a cool dude... As I pointed out before, we both have our own strengths.&nbsp; I may have experience with the sim, but he has experience with the SHL rosters.&nbsp; What I can provide is organization and planning from the team standpoint and I plan to do just that.

Quote: <a href='index.php?showuser=2238' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>shlpris41</a>

Are there any prospects you would have particularly liked to pick up in Portland had they still been on the board?

In all reality, I haven't even taken the time to dissect how the draft would have went had I been making decisions.&nbsp; Cuffy I thought did a great job, then I came in and traded away his second selection away.&nbsp; Our draft class is amazingly active and that draft could have gone differently in many ways.

What are you most looking forward to doing as a new GM (either with Portland specifically, or just general GM duties)?

Scouting and building activity within our locker room.&nbsp; It isn't all that active and those who are in there are even ex-Admirals who have moved on.&nbsp; With my desire to build the team from within it truly is important to focus on every draft class in the up coming years, tracking activity and users desire to grow their players as fast as possible.

Quote: <a href='index.php?showuser=89' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-9'>Cuffy</a>

How shocked were you when I asked you to be my co Gm?

1,150,000%.&nbsp; Obviously being a rookie, but I did know and figured you were looking for a CO.&nbsp; Definitely couldn't say I was prepared for that off-season GM list, lol... but it was a great crash course in terms of finding where everything is and know how the league comes together every season.

Quote: <a href='index.php?showuser=2280' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>daBenchwarmer</a>

What role do the two prospects, LeClerc and Kaiser, play in Portland's future?

To be honest, my plan is for both to play a cornerstone in this rebuilding process.&nbsp; The trade with Buffalo will be looked back upon whether both Leclerc and Kaiser remain active.&nbsp; My belief is that they both will be elite and I plan according to that.

Did the Kaiser-to-NCAA fiasco have any influence on your decision to push to acquire him in the Buffalo trade?

Kaiser seemed of value because of how undervalued he was by Buffalo.&nbsp; I saw his activity, his interaction over the SMJHL... and in knowing of his outside engagements at times activity may be sparse, but I also know he will show up for training and big games.

Can you comment on the recent character issues with LeClerc in Detroit and whether if that has affected your opinion to play him in Portland or not?

Leclerc will be among the elite.&nbsp; The lack of transparency between management and player truly made for an understandable road block.&nbsp; I think Leclerc is a great addition to the organization and will be flourishing in Portland for many years to come.

At what point in time do you expect the Admirals' rebuild to be complete, and prepared to contend for the Challenge Cup?

I truly feel that SHL S34 will be the Admirals coming out celebration.&nbsp; I refuse to use free agency to bolster a team for one year.&nbsp; You never know though, with the youngsters coming through the ranks, Cuffy could find a solution to the lines and we may hit stride sooner.

Quote: <a href='index.php?showuser=41' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>JumpierPegasus</a>

Why did you hit a GM?

Lol... because he brought me the wrong beer.

Quote: <a href='index.php?showuser=2267' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>Waters</a>

why are you hitting your first gm press conference? What did it ever do to you?

Hit first, questions second. Is there any other way to do it? Next question.

Quote: <a href='index.php?showuser=97' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>jason97</a>

Why did you smack me butt in the training room?

I thought that was a proper greeting the first day on the job, just wait til we when a championship&nbsp; Ninja

Quote: <a href='index.php?showuser=2264' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>ToeDragon84</a>

Did you consider saying no to being co?

Never... Granted, my obligations to St. Louis obviously stood in the forefront.&nbsp; But in many pressers prior to the SHL draft I expressed my desire to be a GM and getting this opportunity now is phenomonal!

How many of the Moda center employees are illegal immigrants? It's a lot fo sho

Unfortunately I cannot comment.

You just joined the Admirals cause of the abundance of handicapped prostitutes in Portland, right?

Once again... No comment.&nbsp; B)

[Image: Wally.png]

How long you plan on staying in St.Louis?

What areas of the team you wish to improve?

Hows working with Cuffy?

Are there any prospects you would have particularly liked to pick up in Portland had they still been on the board?

What are you most looking forward to doing as a new GM (either with Portland specifically, or just general GM duties)?

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

How shocked were you when I asked you to be my co Gm?

[Image: cuffana.png]

Thanks for the mention dude! I knew you were ready for the job you have been so helpful in St. Louis I cant thank you enough! Scarecrows

Interview Do you feel that you have a lot to prove as a rookie Co-GM?
Interview Where does "S34" come from?

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: qp9sjzw.png] [Image: QPhJjnn.png] [Image: cz7Q1LV.png] [Image: RapExQb.png] [Image: sXGJ3Yn.png]
-----
[Image: aasdAwo.png]

Canada Update Thread | Player Page Canada

Mr. Kwahlgren! Over here!

Interview What role do the two prospects, LeClerc and Kaiser, play in Portland's future?

Interview Did the Kaiser-to-NCAA fiasco have any influence on your decision to push to acquire him in the Buffalo trade?

Interview Can you comment on the recent character issues with LeClerc in Detroit and whether if that has affected your opinion to play him in Portland or not?

Interview At what point in time do you expect the Admirals' rebuild to be complete, and prepared to contend for the Challenge Cup?

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

Interview Why did you hit a GM?

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

why are you hitting your first gm press conference? What did it ever do to you?

that's pretty polarizing IMO

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Why did you smack me butt in the training room?

[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

Did you consider saying no to being co?

How many of the Moda center employees are illegal immigrants? It's a lot fo sho

You just joined the Admirals cause of the abundance of handicapped prostitutes in Portland, right?

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

Thanks for the questions... All answered... lol... In some way.

[Image: Wally.png]