Create Account

Blackwell Looks Forward to SMJHL Debut

<center>
Quote:1048 words /// double media week

[Image: dy26o9Y.jpg]
Connor Blackwell looks on during a Scottsdale Desperados practice.

Blackwell Looks Forward to SMJHL Debut
By: Phoenix Times

With another SHL season in the books, Connor Blackwell looks to make his SMJHL debut. Currently an alternative player for the Scottsdale Desperados for the PMHL, Blackwell has looked to make his SMJHL debut.

"Obviously missing playoffs was a bummer," Blackwell begins, "But I learnt a lot from playing with the guys in the PMHL, there are a lot of talented players in that system, and I feel like I've learnt a lot, and am ready to make the next step to the SMJHL. My ultimate goal is to play in the SHL, and with this PMHL season under my belt, I feel a lot more prepared to enter the SMJHL Entry Draft."

Blackwell was picked up by the Desperados as a free agent as he finished up his last season of WHL Hockey with with the Prince Albert Raiders, as he was traded from Kelowna to make way for younger players.

"Definitely no hard feelings against Kelowna. The hockey world is ran like a business, and Kelowna needed players that will help them with our rebuild. I came into the Raiders and played what I like to think was good hockey, but it wasn't enough to get us to the playoffs, unfortunately."

Connor has done the best to elevate his game with the Desperados, even though he was only participating in practices. Even in the closing of his last season with the Raiders, his game was changing drastically. No longer was he trying to constantly drop the gloves with his opponents, he was only fighting when the game momentum needed to be shifted.

"My coaches kept telling me that I was more valuable when I was on the ice rather than the penalty box, and when I kept fighting, I started to get benched. That made me even angrier, so my next shift I would instantly get on the ice and try to fight someone off of the draw. That's no way to play a hockey game. There's no way around the fact that I'm a talented player, and it's more important for me to be on the ice than in the box. It look a long time for me to learn, but I feel like I'm finally fleshing my game out enough for me to become a valuable player in not only the SMJHL, but the SHL as well."

Blackwell is still a very physical player, and will not pass the opportunity to lay a check on an opposing player. However, his offensive abilities have only increased with his practice time with the Desperados. His passes are even crisper than they were in juniors, and his shot is a lot better than his time in the WHL.

"Every player grows up dreaming of being a first line center for a hockey club. I believe I can bring that to a team that drafts me, I have been in contact with some SMJHL GMs already, and they like my game. I believe that I can help a team get closer to a Four Star Cup, which is the goal for every team." Blackwell smiles, "My game will knock the SMJHL on their head, and when I'm crushing the opposition against the boards and am one of the hardest players in the league to play against. I'm an extremely hard worker, and I will not be outworked on the ice by anyone in the entire league."

With that being said, Blackwell has a lot of development left in his game. Not getting game time has been negatively affecting his development, and he might be lacking some of the endurance that most SMJHL players have. But that can be taught over time. Getting Connor to fight less and play more actual hockey has changed the scouts perceptions on him completely, and with that, maybe has changed the landscape of the SMJHL S34 Entry Draft.

We recently found out that the Canal Flats, British Columbia native also has dual citizenship.

"It's nice being American or Canadian, because I have choice on where I want to play internationally if that choice is ever given to me." Blackwell begins, "I'm not sure where I want to play yet. The American hockey team is so stacked with centers and is a great team, but I might want to jump onto Team Canada to help them become the best team internationally. I've been raised in Canada my entire life, so I would pounce all over the opportunity to represent my home country."

Blackwell is expected to enter the SMJHL S34 Entry Draft. Attached, we have his draft rankings for this season.

[Image: 2wcqpp3.png]
8. Prince George Firebirds

"I think I'd find it tough to play in Prince George."

[Image: do3195.png]
7. Colorado Mammoths

"Colorado is a well managed team, but I'm not sure how I'd fit with the center depth here."

[Image: XPCRmw8.png]
6. Vancouver Whalers

"I'd rather go to a home where I could play top 6 minutes immediately."

[Image: pG62e95.png]
5. Montreal Militia

"A well respected team, but the ever changing management seemingly has me a little skeptical."

[Image: 2efkc9h.png]
4. Halifax Raiders

"Looking for centers, and could be somewhere that I could excel as a prospect. However, there are a lot of players ahead of me in development that could stop me from playing top 6 minutes immediately."

[Image: 9aoajl.png]
3. Detroit Falcons

"Teams that take big risks to win are good in my book. When the Falcons signed all of the "deplorables", that really opened them up in my book for me to call a home. Their management is extremely impressive and I think that Detroit could be somewhere I can call home."

[Image: 25jl5i9.png]
2. Kelowna Knights

"I like teams that have a lot of winning history. Kelowna has exactly that. I'd like to call Kelowna a home, especially since it is a stone's throw away from my hometown of Canal Flats."

[Image: 10yfkgy.png]
1. St. Louis Scarecrows

"My player agent, CRUTCHFIELD told me that this was a good home. I'd like to play here. They are stacked for centers at the moment, but I believe that I could still contribute positively here."

</center>

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

If he can't even crack the Scacti roster I don't want him in PGF anyway tbh Wink

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: symmshl.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@Apr 1 2017, 09:27 PM
If he can't even crack the Scacti roster I don't want him in PGF anyway tbh Wink

makes sense

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Good stuff! I enjoyed the personal rankings a lot

Niceeeeeee work!

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]