Create Account

The day leading up to the draft

Code:
Ready for Grading
Word Count- 903
Double Media week

The day of leading up to the SHL draft….

8:30am…

My alarm goes off a little later today, I grabbed my phone and turned off the ringing and rolled over. I got to sleep in a little today compared to most mornings when it goes off at 6:15am. I could hear some banging in the kitchen and could smell some bacon and eggs with the aroma of coffee in the air. I got out of bed a little easier this morning even though I barely slept last night because I was too excited for the SHL entry draft tonight.

9:05am…

I walk into the kitchen to be greeted by my mom and my dad sitting at the kitchen table reading the daily newspaper. “Good morning Matthew, we made your favorite breakfast; we know you have a busy day coming up so we wanted to make sure you started your day off right”. I said thanks grabbed a mug and poured myself a cup of coffee and went to sit with my dad. I looked down and to my surprise there was envelope with my name on it, I knew that hand writing, it was my grandpas who is currently living in Canada. I quickly opened and read the letter; I tried not to look up at my dad who was looking at me curiously because my eyes had swelled with tears. My grandpa has never been able to watch me play hockey live due to certain circumstances such as money and his health conditions. However even though he is thousands of miles away he still watches my games with my grandma online. After most of my games I will get a call to let me know what he thought of my game that day. In the letter he wrote me he told me how proud he is of me and how I’ve changed his life for the better and that he can’t wait to watch me play a live game one day. Knowing I can do that for him makes everything feel so much more worth it. My mom came and sat down gave me a little pat on the back and told me to go take my mind off the draft for a little bit. I grabbed my letter and put it in my room.

11:30am...

I head to the gym to get in a quick work out to get my mind off of the draft. The more I think of it the more nervous I get, I’m not usually a nervous person so when I started to pace around the house my parents told me to go for a run or get some fresh air. It usually gets my mind off things right away; I’ve always been that way.

1:30om...

My girlfriend Sophia comes over, she brought Subway (My favorite place) and she picked up my favorite suit from the dry cleaners. She knows how nervous I am because she’s going through the same thing. We went for a walk to clear our minds and talk about all of the exciting things that are about to happen in our lives.

3:30pm...

My brother comes into my room; he’s already in his suit. He says mom hired a professional photographer and they would be here in 30 minutes to do some family photos. We chirped a little back and forth, he thought I was being lazy since I wasn’t ready yet, he said if it was his draft day he would have been ready in his suit at 6:00am. I turned off my music and got dressed, folded the letter my grandpa gave me and put it in the front pocket of my suit jacket.

6:00pm...

I get into my dad’s truck, everyone’s already inside waiting for me. This is such a special time for all of us and I know they are just as excited as I am. I sat down and got a knot in my stomach, I think it’s what some people call “butterflies”. In my head I keep thinking about all of the teams that I could potentially go to and the places I could end up. There’s so much talk in the league of where all of us draftees are going to end up so I’m trying not to let it get in my head and I am entering the draft with an open mind.

7:00pm... one hour before draft.

Sitting nervously with my family as more SHL draftees enter the room, some of them looking really nervous some are laughing and some are parents crying. As they pass by our table I introdqce a couple of the players to my family as we played together on the same team last year in the SMJHL for the Scarecrows. Wishing them good luck as they find their table with their family and friends as the draft is about to begin.

8:00pm...- SHL DRAFT TIME

No matter which team I end up on, I will be honoured to have even had the chance to play at this caliber of hockey. I want to be the best player that I can be and can’t wait to get started in my SHL career. Even though I know I will not get the call up for a couple years to come it just gives me the extra time to train that little bit harder and make them not regret their decision.

To be continued……..

[Image: dweaves08.gif]

[Image: lLWfTOT.png]

Welcome to Los Angeles, brutha!

[Image: 3GSD0dd.gif]
[Image: m1IMt5k.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by InciteHysteria@Apr 2 2017, 07:44 PM
Welcome to Los Angeles, brutha!

Happy to be here! Panthers

[Image: dweaves08.gif]

[Image: lLWfTOT.png]

am i ever pumped that we could snag you