Create Account

SMJHL Biz-Bits Periodic articles about S35

Code:
SMJHL Biz_Bits are small periodic in season articles geared towards discussion on the S35 season.

Biz-Bits 1: SMJHL Surprises through the first 15 games

Surprise surprise theres a team in Halifax:
Our first Biz-Bits surprise of S35 is the emergance of the Halifax Raiders! No not so much in there play but in there numbers... See all i could tell you about Halifax in season 34 was that Zander Rhys got promoted, Jordon Four Four took a beating and the Raiders logo is black silver and white (i think)

But this new Raiders group creeps up on ya... and they come in numbers like a pack of wild rats!...active in media, active in discord, they make funky logos and do it with a bit of bravado to boot. Downski, Fletcher, Berstien, Muller, McCarthy, Boyka and Wyder are names being noticed around the league.. players who have begun to redefine what it means to be a Raider.

Is Colorado in 1st a Mammoth surprise?
With 25% of the regular season gone the Colorado Mammoths lead the SMJHL with an 11-4 record! is that a bit of a surprise?.. some say it is! See Colorado didnt come in with hype that other teams carried into S35.. and part of that is due to a franchise thats doesnt present itself as flashy or brazen. but for those who watch Mammoth hockey they would know that this franchise boasts a roster grid relatively in tact outside of losing Zinaida Titova and couple of defensive options in Rambo and St. Criox.

The big change on the ice has been the emergance of german defenseman Fin Kruger. the 3rd pick in the SHL draft put up respectable numbers as a rookie.. but Fin has taken his game to another level currently leading the SMJHL in points with (19), 3rd in goals (7), 2nd in assists (12) while averaging over a point a game and a rediculous 25.93% shooting percentage! Kruger is doing everything out there! he cooks he cleans! and did i mention hes a defenseman? the only D-man in the top 10 in most of the scoring categories outside of Eddy Andrezjeck. Kruger is turning into a special player out there and hes supported by 3 of the top 5 Colorado scorers from the season before in Fin Larrson (17P), Teddy Kessler (14P) and Vratislav Zbyněk (13P) who continue there roles as the engine of the Mammoth offense.

But the real intrigue through 15 games centers around a player named Asvard Lyszczarczyk.. a journeyman who put up an average of 8 points per season during his 3 year span with the franchise. but here in 35 Asvard has risen through mediocrity to produce 17 points including a league leading 14 assists!

but what really gained Asvard national attention was his fight with Vancouver draft darling Sophia Bennett during a multi player maylay in the 3rd period of game 50! Asvard put a bruising on Bennett... a situation which we hear didnt go too well in the Whalers locker room! Rumor is Advard is a marked man in Vancouvers clubhouse which should make for prime time television come game 94 when the 2 teams meet agian!

Code:
Asvard Lyszczarczyk beats up Sophia Bennett at 9:54 of 3rd period

Speaking of Surprises:
The Vancouver Whalers currently sit in 4th place with an 8-7 record which fairly or unfairly would be considered a major surprise for the franchise.

Yes, a team that won 20 of 50 games the season before and now enjoys a winning record and is being called dissapointing. But it is what it is... the Whalers came into the season with 9 players over the 300 TPE mark, 7 players drafted within the first 19 picks of last seasons SHL draft and than add on Isak Odegard to the mix.. the top pick in this seasons Juniors draft..... frankly expectations are sky high!

One of Vancouvers problems lies on the power play where they rank last in the SMJHL, which may blend into a bigger issue which lies in line management and finding the right groups of players to compliment one another. At first glance there are allot of main stars and very few character actors within this group.... some of the leagues best lines have a mix of everything in it which could be a problem for a franchise geared towards brute force scoring.

Code:
703 words

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Quote:Originally posted by Coach Biz@Jun 23 2017, 11:32 PM
but what really gained Asvard national attention was his fight with Vancouver draft darling Sophia Bennett during a multi player maylay in the 3rd period of game 50! Asvard put a bruising on Bennett... a situation which we hear didnt go too well in the Whalers locker room! Rumor is Advard is a marked man in Vancouvers clubhouse which should make for prime time television come game 94 when the 2 teams meet agian!

Code:
Asvard Lyszczarczyk beats up Sophia Bennett at 9:54 of 3rd period

Were gonna sic Odjick on him
<a href='index.php?showuser=2583' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>QuantumCowboy</a>
Whalers

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

Scrabble (Asvard) has really been surprising me this season. He's not only a 3rd line center. His attributes lean heavily towards defense and face-offs - while not being very offensively talented. He's also playing with two rookie wingers in Kapralov and Zajac. So he's in a situation where you wouldn't expect much from a player that hasn't had the offensive tools. But he's really taking advantage and been a monster for us.

[Image: 3GSD0dd.gif]
[Image: m1IMt5k.gif]

I thought us sucking was a surprise :unsure:

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

The biggest non-surprise thus far is The Izz-Meister falling behind in the hit race. Wink

[Image: aAYOBeR.gif]
[Image: tumblr_meoc0uZ0am1rkroj1o1_500.gif]
#Quest2Play4EveryTeam

Quote:Originally posted by TheRealBK@Jun 24 2017, 02:47 PM
The biggest non-surprise thus far is The Izz-Meister falling behind in the hit race. Wink

Damn, your right!

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria