Create Account

New England Wolfpack Honor Captain Nathan Russell

<div align="center">New England Wolfpack Honor Longtime Captain Nathan Russell

[Image: 485973945.jpg]
Nathan Russell celebrates his goal against the Edmonton Blizzard in the Challenge Cup finals</div>

July 12, 2017 - Boston, Massachusetts

It was the day fans of the New England Wolfpack had hoped would never arrive - the last time they would ever have the chance to see Nathan Russell skating for the Wolfpack in a regular season game in the TD Garden.

The game was the first to sell out on the team’s website when tickets went on sale at the start of the season. Even before the team announced the game would honor the career of their captain and former GM, resale prices were through the roof. It was the hottest ticket in Boston, and everybody wanted to be there.

As the fans filed into the arena, it wasn’t hard to guess who they were there to see. While Russell jerseys were an extremely common sight on game night anyway, this was different. Just about every fan in attendance was wearing some sort of Nathan Russell gear as they streamed through the door – from jerseys and shirseys to hats and hand drawn signs, his name and number were everywhere. Added to all this were green towels handed out to the fans with Russell’s name and number, 14, printed them. It was going to be a night to remember.

It was a sight to behold as Russell led the team out for warmups, coming out ahead of Mikke Laukkanen and greeted with a loud roar from the fans as they wanted to send their captain off with a proper farewell. Russell, modest and quiet as ever (never the type to showboat or show off) let a smile cross his lips and a tear roll down as his cheek as he looked around at the crowd on his first skate around the ice, knowing his chances to skate on this ice as the captain of the New England Wolfpack were coming to a close.

He went about his warmups as he always did, trying not to let the shows of love and support go to his head. As fans crowded the glass, trying to get a glimpse of him skating by, he was sure to stop and throw a few pucks over to the fans’ outstretched hands.

As the clock ticked down on warmups, Russell fired one last shot into the empty net and then skated off the ice, signing autographs and giving high fives to a few lucky fans who were standing on either side of the tunnel. With one last wave to the crowd, he headed in to prepare for his final regular season home game.

<hr>

<div align="center">[Image: 1453424588-NS_STARSBLACKHAWKS_AL02_47909976.JPG]
Nathan Russell lines up for the ceremonial puck drop prior to his final regular season home game.</div>

After the teams had come out for the game and the anthems were sung, the arena staff rolled out a rug from one of the penalty boxes. “Ladies and gentlemen,” the PA announcer’s voice boomed throughout the arena, “tonight the New England Wolfpack say goodbye to longtime captain Nathan Russell, who is playing in his final regular season game here in the TD Garden. We ask that Toronto North Stars captain Kristian Eriksson and New England Wolfpack captain Nathan Russell join us at center ice for a ceremonial faceoff. Joining us to drop the puck is former GM of the New England Wolfpack, Ace.” The noise in the arena reached new heights as the crowd saluted not only the career of their captain, but also the return of the man who drafted him to the Wolfpack in the first place. Both men were all smiles as they embraced following the puck drop, and with a handshake between Eriksson and Russell the two captains were on their way back to their respective benches.

It turned out to be a hard fought game between the two teams. With shots almost even at 39-33 in favor of the Wolfpack, New England emerged victorious with Jasper Clayton’s 9th of the season in period two proving to be the difference, even with Robb Wind’s goal with less than a minute to go to make the game 4-3 pulling the North Stars close. While Nathan Russell was kept off the scoreboard, his presence was certainly felt as he played over 21 minutes, winning 13 faceoffs, recording a hit and ending up +1 on the affair.

<hr>

When the game came to an end, the Wolfpack gathered together to salute the crowd at center ice as is tradition for the final home game of the season. The crowd cheered as they raised their sticks in the air. As the team went to leave the ice, Dieter Dominique grabbed Russell and told him to skate one last lap around the ice for the fans, which he did. The team stood and watched, tapping their sticks in recognition of the man who had won the franchise four Challenge Cups in his fifteen season career.

As he neared the end of his lap, the lights in the arena began to dim and a video began to play on the jumbotron showing highlights from throughout Russell’s SHL career. It began with his draft, taken 7th overall by the Wolfpack, posing with future teammates 3rd overall pick Benjamin Reid, 5th overall pick Nciklas Wikstrom, and 8th overall pick Sam Samsinov. From there the video moved to his first SHL game in S21, a relatively unknown player fresh out of juniors who only the most avid fans were familiar with from his draft the season before. It showed his first SHL goal, the giant smile on his face as he celebrated the first of his four goals in that season. In S22, Russell began to see powerplay time for the Wolfpack and with that came his first career powerplay goal. S23 was notable for a few reasons – everyone remembers it as the year the New England Wolfpack and Nathan Russell lifted the Challenge Cup for the first time, but it was also notable as Russell’s first fight of his career. This was also the first season in which Nathan Russell took over as the newest General Manager of the New England Wolfpack.

In S24, the New England Wolfpack took a bit of a stumble as they finished at the bottom of the standings, but Russell found international success as he won the bronze medal with team USA at the IIHF tournament that offseason. S25 looked a little better for Russell personally, as he put up career totals for both goals (25) and points (49) as he went on to be named to the league’s 2nd all-star team. S26 saw Russell begin to make the transition from winger to center as he began to take more faceoffs towards the end of the season. As S27 would prove, the move was a good one – Russell was nominated to the second all-star team for the second time in his career, won his second IIHF bronze with team USA, and was nominated for the Sarmad Khan.

In S28 a more aggressive Russell came to training camp and hit the ice at the start of the regular season as he would shatter his old career high in hits with 213, breaking the 200 mark for the first time in his SHL career. This was met with another Khan nomination, as well as winning the Jeff Dar as the league’s top power forward. With 22 goals and 23 points in S29, Russell had another consistent year but success for the Wolfpack didn’t follow. At the conclusion of the season, Russell stepped down as the team’s General Manager.

S30 brought with it a whole new Nathan Russell. Able to concentrate solely on his own play rather than the day-to-day management of the team, Russell put up 53 points and 217 hits, both career highs at the time, and led his team to a Challenge Cup victory for the first time since S23. His performance also won him the second Jeff Dar trophy of his career.

S31 was more of the same for Russell. Breaking his career highs from the previous season, he put up 55 points and 228 hits for the Wolfpack and led the team to yet another Challenge Cup victory and a gold medal for team USA. The league recognized him for his career year with nominations for the Dar and the Khan, as well as another appearance on the second all-star team. In S32 Russell was still showing the league he had what it took to be a top player in the league at his advanced age. With 48 points and 152 hits he was nominated for the Jeff Dar trophy yet again, and won the Damien Littleton.

Finally in S33 Russell started to slow down – but not by much. His 40 points and 103 hits were totals anyone would be proud to have on their stat line. Winning the Challenge Cup for the third time in his career, he added his first Anton Razov nomination to his historic career. Last season, after putting up 42 points and 95 hits, Russell announced that he was nearing the end of his career and planned to retire at the conclusion of the SHL’s 35th season. That offseason he led team USA to another gold medal, his 2nd gold and 4th medal of his career.

The lights came back up in the arena as the crowd cheered. “Nathan,” the PA announcer’s voice boomed overhead once more, “we have some people in the arena tonight who would like to say a few words to you. Ladies and gentlemen, please turn your attention to center ice.”

While the video had been playing on the big board, the arena staff had rolled the carpet back out and carried out a podium and a microphone. “Please join me in welcoming back to center ice former New England Wolfpack GM, Ace!”

Ace waved to the crowd as he approached the podium. He leaned into the microphone and spoke:

“PB is one of the greatest GMs, player builders, and overall people in the SHL community. I'm honored to have the privilege to say I not only drafted her to the Wolfpack, but I actually recruited her to the site as well. She seems to think that I showed her the ropes around here, but the truth is, she is such a hard worker I felt like I could learn more from her on a day-to-day basis than the other way around. She helped me hone my communication skills and helped me turn that team into a family.

Congratulations on a great career with Nathan Russell, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with Odegard!

<3 Ace

Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack ”

He waved to the crowd as he stepped aside.

“Welcome back the former co-General Manager and Wolfpack player, Sam Samsinov!

The second general manager of the evening to speak walked out to the podium:

“I was drafted alongside Nathan Russell at spots 7 and 8 in the S20 SHL Entry Draft. Shortly after the draft I got a chance to know Russell and the other players, but really Russell stood out amongst the crowd. Within a few seasons Russell was becoming a dominate forward and a good friend. At the end of season S22, Russell was given the opportunity to become the New England Head GM. Russell reached out to me for the Co-GM position and I was incredibly honored by his decision. Russell helped us dominate in S23 and was the most important part in our S23 cup win. Although I retired from the SHL really early, I spent the future seasons in my career working alongside Russell in the management position of the team. We had some really tough calls to make, and it was hard to keep everyone happy no matter how hard we tried. Russell, despite all of this, kept a level head and built one of the best foundations for a team in SHL history. I can’t help but massively respect Russell for staying grounded and reasonable through all the hardships. All in all, I had some of the most fun with SHL while working alongside Russell both on and off the ice, so I wish him the best of luck with his life in retirement.”

He joined Ace to the side of the podium.

“Ladies and gentlemen, former New England Wolfpack goaltender, Ben Wong!”

Wong, wearing his old Wolfpack jersey, stepped out in front of the podium:

“Nathan Russell is a four time cup champ. I've been in the league since season 7, and I have only managed to win 3. I was only able to play 1 season with her in the retirement season for Ben Wong, but man, was it one of the best seasons, if not the best season I have ever had and we didn't even win the damn thing. We came close, making it to the conference finals if I recall correctly, but we all had a heck of a time getting there. A great performer on the ice and an even better person off the ice. Nothing but respect for her, and her player Nathan Russell. My hat goes off to you, and I'll be seeing you in the HOF soon.”

He walked over to Ace and Samsinov and said something to them as the trio laughed.

“Please welcome back to Boston, career winger with the New England Wolfpack for nine seasons, Marek Vyskoč!”

The retired and aging forward stepped forward:

“It seems every day I remember less and less, but without Nathan I'd probably be lost: that locker-room helped teach me English which would undoubtedly help in landing my position as general manager of the Prince George Firebirds, and what an incredible locker room it was, only to be exponentially improved by Nathan's presence. It was company amongst friends. It was family. I miss that group every day but I'm so very glad that I got to be a part of it and win a cup in New England with Russel.”

He stepped to the side with the others.

“Back in New England, fresh off his own retirement, Nicklas Wikstrom!”

The retired forward stepped out onto the ice and walked up to the podium.

“PB/Nate Russell was the wolf that kept the team together after a huge void was left with the retirement of Ace as GM. I remember Ace reaching out to all of us in Regina with a vision of bringing a new culture to the club. Ace had the vision, but PB was the one who put in the work to make it happen. We had a lot of ups and downs, we had some tough seasons where things didn't go our way, but PB always kept us focused on the goal and what really mattered: our team. This all culminated in our first Challenge Cup victory, the first in New England's franchise. It was Wikstrom's goal to bring that cup back, and it meant so much to us to lift it with guys in the locker room like Co'C and Wong. On a very personal level, PB is one of the reasons why I stayed around as long as I did on my first go. Late night chats and DJ sessions got me through an incredibly tough time in my life. It was hard to leave after the seasons I spent in New England, but I knew I was fighting off inactivity and I wanted New England to get some sort of return for me. It was strange, because I always wanted my jersey, in its beautiful green, silver, and white, to hang from the rafters. But after a career in this league, I know whose number really belongs there, along with the greats of our organization, and that's PB.”

He stepped back to join his former teammates.

“Returning to the TD Garden for the first time since his retirement, you know him as The Big Easy, goaltender Earnest Ciarelli!”

The crowd greeted the return of everyone’s favorite goaltender with a chorus of boos, but they were probably joking.

“I had a chance to play with Russell from S26-S29, and then again in S32-S34. From my time in New England I got to see Russell lead the team on and off the ice. In the earlier parts of my career, specifically the S26-S29 block in New England, the team wasn’t the greatest around. We we’re a young team with a huge upside, but development took a long time so we unfortunately lost some key games in that time. A lot of the league were quick to jump up and call my out for my lackluster performances, which really hit home with me. Russell, being the captain, helped me work on my game to prove the doubters wrong. Really you can’t have a better captain than Russell, always talking to everyone and providing reason and leadership to a good team. Even when I left New England for a brief time, I knew Russell was working hard in the locker room to help them win those cups. I thank Russell for helping New England dominate while at the same time being one of the best teammates out there. I wish Russell the best of luck.”

He tripped on the carpet as he tried to walk off to the side.

“Next we have a player who was drafted by Nathan when he was a GM and has been playing with him ever since – please come to center ice, Roman Morenov!

The Russian skated up from the bench to give his statement.

“PB drafted me back in S35, it was a great draft class for New England that year, seemed like that draft would propel this team to Challenge Cup Champions for many years, then after a few seasons, I again went inactive, and there was a player revolt that led to the team disbanding except for a few core player's. PB was one of them, shed brought in a new core, I return and have never been more welcomed back. I've been on this site for a long time, I've been inactive and very active, I've seen my fair share of terrible people who would jump ship at a moment's notice when a team goes to shit, PB took a more personal approach go the situation and made it more personal for everyone , not just a website and fantasy game, then she brought in people to carry that on. Every UFA season for myself I think, yeah maybe I'll try another team, but I just can't seem to find a way to leave, and even if we lost every game, having actual people like PB here makes sense for somebody like me to enjoy a site like this over and over again. Here's to you PB Cheers you will be missed and I hope we cross paths again in the future!”

He skated back to the bench to join his teammates.

“Next to speak is season 26 draftee and current member of the New England Wolfpack, Mainio Mäkinen!”

The Maniac skated to center ice with the crowd chanting his name just as they did after each of his goals:

“I was drafted to the Wolfpack in S26 and man, Nate was the Wolfpack. We were a bad team back then, and I was just a rookie fresh out of Finland who spoke questionable English at best, but Russell looked after me and made me feel welcome right away. He's a legend in this city, and for good reason--he's one of the only guys who stuck around during the dark days of NEW's first cup hangover and all the way through the rebuild.”

He looked as though he was about to skate away, then continued:

“Plain and simple, PB's one of the best GMs on this site. Yeah, the Wolfpack technically only won one cup during her tenure, but there's no way we get the next three without the way she set us up. She knows how to time the drafts and stockpile picks for deep ones, how to be patient on a trade until she gets the deal she wants, and how to deal with difficult player situations (anyone who was around for the shitstorm that was the Wolfpack imploding in ~S27 will know how true that is).

And off the site, she's a great person and friend too! She's had multiple members of the Pack over to her house, and she and I just got back from a trip to Sweden. Even though I'm barely active around here anymore, I'd never miss a chance to come back and talk her up, because she's the best and I know we'll be friends for life. :wub: ”

Mäkinen returned to the bench, serenaded by cheers once more.

“Also a season 26 draftee, and fellow two-way forward, Tim Buckner!”

The bearded Buckner skated to center ice to speak about his captain.

“I remember the day I was drafted to NEW back in S26. I was ready to give up the SHL dream all together before that. I was struggling and had been passed around to a few minor league teams. Walking into the group of people that NEW had was intimidating for sure. I only knew Clayton at the time and wasn't sure how I was going to fit in. PB was still the GM at the time and she immediately welcomed myself and the rest of the draft class into the Locker Room. She always made an effort to listen or chat regardless of who they were. If it weren't for PB I probably would have left seasons ago. Her help and guidance really set the ground work for what New England has become.

As a player, Russel has had a huge influence on myself. I've been working to emulate that style of play since I was brought into New England. As a team we have always counted on his on and off ice leadership to get us through the tough times. It’s going to be some huge shoes to fill but I hope that I'll be able to step up with the rest of the team and carry on Russel's legacy. He's been our captain ever since I can remember. It’s going to feel awfully weird walking into that locker room for the first time next season without his number and name on the stall. Thank you for everything Russel. See you at the Alumni Games!”

As Buckner skated back to the bench he gave Russell a light-hearted shove as Russell had often done to him in warmups.

“Joining the Wolfpack via trade after one season with the Jets, ladies and gentlemen, former linemate of Nathan Russell, Patrikov Bure!”

Bure skated up to center ice and took a swig of his trusty bottle of vodka:

“Russell is just... the captain, there's no other word to describe him on this team. He's like Captain America and we all just... assemble under him when the time comes. During our playoff runs, besides the first cup run we had, we were constantly running into trouble with our backs against the walls. More often than not, we charged back and Russell seemed like he was carrying a flag for us to rally behind. I think he is the embodiment of what a captain should be in a hockey team and he is the textbook definition of what a two-way forward should strives to be.

Playing with him... I played on his line in the first 3 seasons I was on the Wolfpack and I played with him more recently during playoff runs when we hitting walls. Early on, I was really struggling to find my place in the league as an offensive forward, Russell really helped me there and once I got going as a scoring winger, Russell played great defense when I got caught up the ice and he battled to get me the puck because I think he knew I was getting there but I needed help. I moved off his line eventually but whenever I got a chance to play with him again, he's still the same consistent hall of fame two-way forward center that I've played with in the past 9 seasons.”

He <s>stumbled</s> skated his way back to the bench with his teammates.

“Another former linemate of Nathan’s, Raven Silverwing!”

Silverwing skated up to the podium:

“I`m going to miss Russell. A class player on the ice and an excellent captain off the ice. He was always there as a father figure to the younger players. It's hard to replace someone like him. The experience and leadership they bring is a special trait, but sadly we're going to have to receive it from the vip seatings from now on.

I remember my first day at the wolfpack training camp. Russell pulled me aside and gave me words of confidence. Everyone has had their first time, it was scary for everyone, so they all know how you are feeling now. I came on the ice with that confidence combined with my passion for the game and it went great.

I`m not a man of many words, Russell you will be missed by me and the whole team. Be sure to stop by from time to time.”

As Silverwing skated by, Landvik tripped him and proceeded on up on her own without an introduction:

“I can't thank Russell enough for welcoming me onto his team and into his home. Making the transition to the SHL didn't seem as hard with him to count on the first few seasons, both on the ice and at home. I may have finally moved out, but a little piece of my heart will always live in the guest bedroom Nate let me make my own. I've learned a hell of a lot about true team loyalty and what it means to be a leader from him, and I'm sure that won't end even though he's not skating with us anymore. Without a doubt, Russell is the best kind of friend and role model to have in your corner. He's leaving awfully big paw prints in New England, and I don't think anyone can ever hope to fill them.

As both Jenny and Mia, I owe the course of my SHL career to pb believing in me enough to draft me fourth overall back in S28. It's been an honour to win championships and build lasting friendships in the NEW locker room; I wouldn't have been able to do it without her, nor would I have wanted to.”

Landvik quickly skated back to the bench as the announcer added, “That was Wolfpack defender and season 28 draftee, Mia Landvik!”

“Speaking next on behalf of Nathan Russell, the ever-emotional Dieter Dominique!”

Dominique skated slowly up to the podium, clearly fighting back tears:

“When I first got drafted by the Wolfpack, I was nervous to talk to PB because I knew she was such a highly respected member of the site and no one ever had anything bad to say about her. (If you do, fight me. Fight me now.) But just talk to PB once and you know she is so welcoming and the perfect team captain--responsible, right about stuff, not too quick to judge, and all the other things that make good PBs. Russell is also the best good there is. A giant heart breaking emoji is tattooed on my heart knowing that PB might one day leave the Wolfpack locker room to carry new SHL teams to Cup victories, but I will always root her and her players on, and I know where she lives, so I think we'll be ok.”

He paused for a moment to collect himself, then continued:

“This wasn't an easy decision for him, but he’s leaving on a high note. I couldn’t be more proud, honestly. Lacing up without him will be weird for a while though, same with roadies and flights. I’m not going to think about it until I have to. [Laughs] We purposely made it a point to not talk about his retiring, because Nate didn’t want to get distracted, and as you can see, he’s still killing it. He doesn't do anything less than 110%.

We're all going to have #14 on our minds come playoffs. He’s been the only captain on the Wolfpack that I’ve known. To me, Nate Russell is hockey. He’s my favorite person. Come next season though, I’m worried he’s going to burn down the house baking too much. But hopefully, now I have a chance to win more Cups than him. He’s unselfish like that. Thanks for everything, Nate. Please don’t burn down your house.”

There was no holding back the tears now as Dominique skated back to the bench.

“Season 30 New England Wolfpack draftee, Jason Forbrook!”

Forbrook skated up from the bench to give his statement. Soft-spoken, he stepped up to the microphone:

“Nathan's a great teammate and an even better friend. When I first came up, he let me stay with him even though we didn't know each other too well, and he always gave me great advice about how to handle the pressure of being a rookie and how to up my game. I'll miss him for sure, wish him all the best in the future.”

He skated back as quietly as he came.

“Please welcome back to Boston, agent of former New England Wolfpack center Filip Granlund and current prospect Cameron Dubois, Jepox!”

Jepox walked out from the penalty box as the crowd looked surprised. This was someone they had certainly not expected to be seeing:

“This is coming from me as a person, not my player. PB has always been nothing but nice to me, and was one of the first people to welcome me when I first joined New England. She was one of the people who came up with one of my tags in NEW Discord (although I think it was mainly Jenny who made it), and still uses it more often than any others that I have. I haven't really known her as much as others on the Wolfpack have, but she was always great to talk to, and she helped me with my build quite a bit at the start.”

He stepped to the side of the podium to join the other guests.

“Continuing with our guests, ladies and gentlemen please welcome back former New England Wolfpack center and current Portland Admiral, Jonathan Lundberg!”

The crowd cheered as former fan-favorite Lundberg waved on his way out to the podium wearing his old New England Wolfpack jersey in public for the first time since he left the organization:

“Russell was a guy that, when I watched him… the style he played, that’s how I wanted to play the game. Especially after he moved to center. I was a center, still in the SMJHL, but once he made the move, it really made sense. In my head, I told myself: That's what I want to do, I want to be the next Nathan Russell. When the chance came for me to join New England, to play behind him, still at his peak, I was so excited. I was already a decent player in my own right, but I learned more from him than I could have imagined in just that first season. Watching how he practiced, how he prepared for games, how he handled the media, I tried to take as much of what he did as I could, and apply it to myself. I feel like those three seasons, playing with him, really helped me find my game. I assume he’s going to see this… So, thank you, Nathan. For inspiring me, and for playing the game the way I think it should be played.”

As Lundberg stepped over to the side he embraced Jepox who he had gotten to know in his brief time with the Wolfpack.

“Our last former Wolfpack speaker for the night, he now spends his time on the blue line for the Seattle Riot, welcome back to defenseman Mattias Holmberg!

Holmberg, a two-season veteran of the Wolfpack, stepped up to the podium to speak on his time with Nathan Russell:

“Russell has been one of the hardest working players in the league I've known since coming into the league. I always dreaded having to stop him on the rush, much to the point where I just considered taking a good hack at his ankles and taking him out for the game. Luckily, or unluckily depending how you view, it never came to that and we always kept the game clean. When I was traded to the Wolfpack, my view of Russell didn't change. A hardworking, tough to play against player. To be honest, I was a bit relieved when I found out that I wouldn't have to be playing against Russell in games anymore. However, trying to get through a practice without putting his head through the glass was tough. He has no off switch. When he steps on to the ice, he is always in game mode, and it sucks when you are trying to shake off some sore parts after a rough game. Russell, congrats on a great career, and hopefully you enjoy your post career life.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome for the first time in the TD Garden, one of New England’s prospects, Xander Green!”

Green looked around the arena as he walked out to the podium, no doubt imagining being able to play on that ice sometime soon:

“One season to early, that is for sure. When I enlisted myself to play in the SHL I had one team in mind and that was the Wolfpack. One of the main reasons was to be able to learn from the best and who is better than Nathan Russell. I worked hard after being drafted, but there was no room for me on the team this season which means I miss out on the option to play with Russell. Instead I will be the next big Wolfpack prospect that has to step in the void that Nathan has left behind. No matter what I will accomplish in my career, that is a void that just can not be filled. No one steps in Nathan Russell's footsteps, the guy just had too much of an impact, it's impossible. Congrats of one hell of a career Nathan, from an admirer.”

He stepped to the side and joined the other guests who had spoken.

“Please welcome New England Wolfpack Co-General Manager and defender, Toivo Kosonen!”

Kosonen skated up to center ice:

“Over my seasons in New England, there were a lot of rumors and speculation that Prettyburn was actually super anti-Toivo. That was all phony, and I always found it funny. Prettyburn was actually the nicest person in the Wolfpack locker room. So nice in fact, that when I took over the Ontario Owls in GOMHL, she was the only one to sign with my team, despite there being a ton of free agents. Prettyburn helped carry us to a championship, and came back to update, I will always be grateful for that. PB is the nicest soul in the world.”

He skated back to join his teammates as the PA announcer introduced one last person.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the final speaker for tonight, defenseman and General Manager for the New England Wolfpack, Jasper Clayton!”

Clayton skated up to center ice, smiling as he approached the podium:

“Back in S24 when I was a rookie with the Detroit Falcons, I spent some time looking into the different teams I could possibly be drafted to and tried to decide where would be best to start my SHL career. It wasn’t hard to see from a quick survey of the league that New England was the place I wanted to be. With Nathan Russell leading the charge, this team was clearly heading in the right direction, and I wanted to be a part of it. From the first moment I contacted the team, prettyburn treated me not just as a prospect, but a friend, and that’s something I really appreciated. Even after I joined the team, when things started to go south PB was ready to try and fix them and do everything possible to ensure the future success of the organization.

As time went on, the reigns were handed off to Mainio and me, and we had a hell of a time working together. We inherited a great team with an amazing group of people, as prettyburn set us up perfectly to start tearing up the Eastern Conference and, as it turned out, the entirety of the SHL. Even now, working with Toivo and drafting new players and making moves six seasons out from when prettyburn stepped down as the team’s GM, so much of what we do lies upon the foundation she provided us.

Over the course of my career thus far I have been blessed to have the opportunity to not only call Nathan Russell one of my teammates and to watch as he put up numbers so many of us could only dream of, but also to have the chance to call prettyburn one of my friends. The New England Wolfpack would be nothing today if not for the contributions of Nathan Russell both on and off the ice.

If they wrote an instruction manual on how to play hockey, the entry for power forward would read “See: Russell, Nathan.” I have no doubt in my mind that we’ll be seeing him in the SHL’s Hall of Fame before too long.

So thank you to Nathan Russell and prettyburn for everything you’ve done for the New England Wolfpack. You are easily the definition of irreplaceable.”

The crowd cheered at these final words. Clayton waited for the noise to die down, and continued.

“Before we close on these ceremonies today, I’d like to invite two final guests to help me with this next presentation.”

He motioned towards the Wolfpack bench, and out from the locker room came defender Benjamin Reid alongside former Wolfpack forward Blake Sherrill, both S20 draftees with Nathan Russell and longtime members of the franchise. They skated out to center ice to join Clayton.

“Nathan, on behalf of the entire New England Wolfpack organization, I would like to thank you and congratulate you on a historic career. Fans will be talking about the career you had for a long time to come.

This is certainly not the first honor you’ve ever received, and it certainly won’t be the last.”

He turned to Reid and Sherrill. “Go ahead,” he told them.

Reid reached into the podium and pulled something out. He skated in front of the podium with Sherrill and gave him the other end.

“Nathan Russell, let me be the first to congratulate you and welcome you to the New England Wolfpack Hall of Fame.”

The two unfurled the banner, proudly displaying Russell’s name and number 14 in front of the podium to loud cheers from the crowd.

<hr>

<div align="center">Nathan Russell

Games: 758
Goals: 219
Assists: 388
Shots: 2,083
Minutes: 16,324
+/-: +178
Penalty Minutes: 899
Hits: 2,170
Power Play Goals: 48
Power Play Assists: 104
Game Winning Goals: 34
Challenge Cup Championships: S23, S30, S31, S33

Congratulations to Nathan Russell, the first player to be inducted into the New England Wolfpack Hall of Fame!

[Image: faf5k9y.png]</div>

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Thank to you to <a href='index.php?showuser=177' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Ace</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=2166' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>akegs</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=1119' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>artermis</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=2098' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>bilbo</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=725' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-52'>drodger91</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=512' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>Green</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=1630' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-43'>Kevin "Juice" Bieksa</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=2101' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>Jenny</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=2012' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Jepox</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=1917' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>lil</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=1961' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>MyLittleHexx</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=2031' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>Raven</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=1855' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Rich</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=1174' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-9'>Storm</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=2309' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Toivo</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=1871' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>WeWantTaro</a> <a href='index.php?showuser=1250' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Whikadoodle</a> and <a href='index.php?showuser=171' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Wongy</a> for their contributions to this article, and thank you to <a href='index.php?showuser=1622' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-56'>Copenhagen</a> for providing me with the banner!

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

as it should be. congrats pb on the phenomenal career with Russell.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

It's only fitting that the person who built the house with so much hardware is the first name in the book. Congrats and thanks for all you've done, <a href='index.php?showuser=1159' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-56'>prettyburn</a>!

Towel

All-time New England Wolfpack scorer
[Image: Derisraka.png]
[Image: 38718_s.png]
[Image: rW2c4Vz.png][Image: B4x6AQm.png]
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Thank you all for such an amazing ride the whole way.

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

<3 PB

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Congrats! Towel

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Congrats PB!! It's been a pleasure watching your players throughout the (actual) years!

Best of luck with your current one. SMJHL bank partners for life!

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

Wolfpack

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

Congrats Mr Russel Wolfpack

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

RIPB

print this out and staple it to my grave, thanks.

[Image: 56791_s.gif]

sigs by sulovilen, slothfacekilla, Flareon
Current: Wolfpack raiders Uk | Alumni: Inferno pride Knights Germany

Wolfpack :wub:

Congrats PB. I was only here to catch the tail-end of Russell's career but with the success New England has had a lot of it has to go towards the stellar play of NR. You're a standup member of this site and you'll be back in the SHL with Ødegård before the rest of us can even blink. Excited to see how his career unfolds as well.

One hell of a ride I am sure. Very deserving.

[Image: 3GSD0dd.gif]
[Image: m1IMt5k.gif]