Create Account

S42 PT #4 - The Difference

Ben Holtby is a bad, bad man. With the Panthers struggling mid-season, Ben's job was mostly to try not to be too hungover when he shows up for warm-ups. But, with the season wrapping up, it was time for Big Ben to make his move. After losing a still pretty solid game to the Seattle Riot, Ben sprung in to actions, rattling off a series of wins that would grow to a five game winning streak, putting the Panthers in a position to control their own destiny, with only two games left in the season. All they needed to do was get two points in two games, and they would be guaranteed a playoff spot.

Well, they didn't.

But, it didn't matter, because the Winnipeg failed to win or even take either of their remaining games to overtime. The Panthers had charged straight at the playoffs, tripped and fallen over the finish line.

Entering this season, the Raptors looked like a team that was literally just going to try and not get shelled every game. They had lost the majority of their veteran players either through trade or call-up and the team was made of mostly rookie forwards and sophomore defensemen. They looked to be a bunch of relatively inexperienced that were in for a whirlwind of a season.

The season started as expected for Colorado with a ton of loses. While this trend did not last long. As the team began to come together, the wins began to roll in. The turning point for this team this season was not only the ability for the sophomore d-men to step up, but also the emergence of the slew of rookie forwards to come out and score big goals and scrap out win after win. The rag-tag Colorado Raptors finished the season in 3rd place and are looking to have a long playoff run with their young core.

[Image: 46ecRW0.gif]

[Image: 5cVzKxa.png][Image: gs89eGV.png][Image: LWLEHdF.png]

The Hamilton Steelhawks have been at the top of the Eastem Conference all season long and also have been in the Presidents Trophy Race for most points by a team in the standings. The Steelhawks claimed their playoff spot fairly early this season and also were able to clinch the Top spot in the East. The Steelhawks were able to claim the Presidents Trophy in the last few days of the seasons. This season the Steelhawks depth was unmatched. They have 4, top four defenseman in their lineups that any combination would likely be a top pair for any team. They were able to add the likes of Kruger in Free Agency and also keep and continue to develop their current young core of forwards. Players like Dover who are veterans still have game as he led the team in points. The Steelhawks are looking poised for a Challenge Cup Run this season. If the Steelhawks can get to the finals they will likely be a favorite.

Code:
167 Words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM
Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Sad Ketchup -Present
S76 Ryan Jesster Trophy Winner

The Texas renegades finished third in the Western conference. One reason they were able to finish so high was non other than Logan Jensen who finished the league leading in Hat Tricks. But the main reason the team success was great this season was because of non other than coloton Hagan who was just a scoring machine finishing with 24 Goals and 28 Assists but with 47 penalty minutes he’ll have to clean up his act if they wanna make a great run in the playoffs. Another key reason on why Texas will make a great playoff run is because of Logan’s Former Cup winning team mate Dude who he won a cup with on St Louis in the Juniors. Dude only got 5 goals but finished with an insane 37 assists. But what made dude such a crucial and key player was because of his shots blocked in which he finished the season with 83. So inconclusion GO RENEGADES

The Minnesota Chiefs missed the playoffs this season for the first time in quite awhile, although they made a strong push at the end to keep things competitive and show that they're not ready to sink into a full rebuild anytime soon. The team had a number of challenges over the course of the season. After the unexpected retirement of veteran goalie Olli O'Koivu, they had to turn to youngster, Sebastian Primeau, who put up a strong fight despite his inexperience - in a few seasons he may be a star in the league, but he was facing much tougher competition on the ice than he was used to. The team put up a strong effort both offensively and defensively, ending up second in the league in Shots For and doing well in Shots Against. but weren't able to convert enough and combined with their young goaltending this led to a less than ideal goal differential. They also were horrendous on the Penalty Kill, and their Power Play wasn't anything to write home about. The team had a number of solid players, but unfortunately it really lacked in star power - not a single player broke the 50 point threshold, and only a few made it onto scoring leaderboards. The team needs to step up all across the ice next season, but they still have the potential to do so.

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

[Image: Ft2piNt.png]

[Image: cDMBWce.png]
[Image: 0tCQttQ.png]
LA Panthers Goaltender

Seattle Riot still had a chance to make the playoffs when there was three or so games left, but naturally had to win all the remaining games and at the same time hope that teams who were ahead of us will lose. Unfortunately Los Angeles managed to beat us in the third last game and that secured Seattle´s elimination from playoffs. LA game was a must win, but they were stronger and took home the win 5-2.

In many ways that 5-2 game against LA tells a story of our season, we manage to create chances on decent pace against basically every team in the league, but finishing those chances is what we struggled with. Our PK has not been absolutely brutal, but it has not been great either - 72.97% PK rating is the fourth worst in the league. Los Angeles on the other end had the second best PP in the league this year and in the 5-2 game they nailed couple on the PP.

To summarize it, Seattle has quite few young players in the team and still missing the consistency that some of the more seasoned teams have at the moment. Once we improve as individuals, the special teams will improve almost automatically at the same time and a lot of the ´problems´ we had in some of the games during this season will be gone. We will score at better ratio, take less penalty minutes and overall be tighter as a unit.

Nearly missing the playoffs, the Buffalo Stampede finished 4th in their conference in what was another tight playoff race. If it weren’t for a few factors, the Stampede could’ve easily seen them fall past 4. A big help to their stellar regular season was goalie of the year front runner, Jordan FourFour Jr. Having the best stats in the league and mvp worthy stats, some people may argue that he caried the team on his back. Posting a .920 save percentage in an MVP worthy year, there is no reason to believe that he wasn’t a huge help to the team. While most goalies have a hard time posting a goals against average under 3. FourFour Jr posted a very impressive 2.52 goals against average. It’ll be interesting to see if he can continue his play into the playoffs. If he can, the Stampede are in for a deep run in the playoffs with their MVP goalie being at the front of the race.

[Image: 3.png]

Well I'm writing with the season over and the Jets were very close into making the playoffs as it came down to very last day of the season. All we needed is a couple of wins at the last stretch against the Blizzard and Renegades who were occupying two playoff spots themselves and we dropped both of them. A little disappointing after coming off a Presidents Trophy season since again to fall short of the playoffs for the first time after a really long time. Considering the team we have, a lot of people had us in the playoffs and maybe winning the entire thing, but alas hold and cold streaks especially cold streaks at the wrong time and figuring out what line combinations that worked or not, wasn't soon enough as we couldn't get enough momentum to take us into the last playoff spot in the West.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

Where do I think my team will end up? It's hard to say. I recently joined the Detroit Falcons and we've had some moments of brilliance and then other times where we just don't look like the team we should be. We got into the playoffs by a razor thin margin and with the level of competition we'll be up against we can't afford to have any more miscues. Going forward from this point, I do think we are more than capable of making a run for the cup in the SMJHL. I try to avoid sounding cocky but I think adding myself to this team makes us a more complete and well rounded squad. It also hurts Kelowna ever so slightly. I think I'm going to have to be the difference between the Detroit that played most of this season and the one that wins the cup, if we're going to be the ones to win it. In that sense the ending to my season could go positively or negatively, it's kind of up in the air. All the same, I'm confident in myself and my abilities so I think and I hope that the ending will be positive and I hope I can be the one to make a difference for us in the playoffs and avenge last season's loss to my ex-team.

[Image: xOtrQ61.gif]

At the start of the season i thought the chiefs would be able to sneak into a 4th place in the east, but the teams that used to be bottom feeders are getting stronger with the developed youth they accumulated during that time, while we're getting older. I thought especially that we would do godo because i had an insane start, averaging a point per game for the first 15 games, then my player died for some reason and i was completely useless. So of course you need your top players to produce if you want to go anywhere. I must say that our new goalie Primeau had a rough time taking over the starting role after O'koivu with such short notice, but i would definitely not blame it on him. I know how frustrating being a goalie can be. With a maxed out goalie and perhaps another good forward i think we'd have the playoff spot, but it wasn't meant to be.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

The season is over now, so we know that Minnesota is out of the playoffs. In my predictions, I had Minnesota in 4th in the East, but that was a bit hopeful. I knew we would struggle, and thought there was a good chance we miss this season. Most people would probably assume our problem is goaltending, but I totally agree. Our goaltending wasn’t great, but I don’t think it was the reason we missed the playoffs. The biggest difference is our lack of production from our skaters. We have some of the best depth in the league, but for some reason, we couldn’t find consistent scoring through most of the season. We were ok, but we definitely should have been better. That coupled with an inexperienced goaltender, and we are out of the playoffs. I’m sure it was a matter of not having the right line combinations or build synergy on the roster.

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

The West Kendall Platoon finished the regular season in 2nd place in the East. This was well within our predictions although we had a rough end to the season where we thought we might slip up. Par for the course also means that we’re expecting to push really hard for a repeat Challenge Cup win. So, what made the difference in the season to make it back to the playoffs? For one, the chemistry between new acquisition Dani Forsberg and team captain Alex Light has been a boon for the team as they outproduced the rest of the roster. Trevor Wilson being himself put up a great season as is now expected of him. More importantly, the team was able to cope with the departure of Finn Kruger last off-season rather well, as many expected the Platoon’s defense to be more porous. The trade deadline acquisition of Noctis Caelum has reinforced the team on the blue line. Overall, the team is poised for a serious cup run but as they say, the playoffs are an entirely new season.

(178 words)

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: tannergraph.png]

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2018, 06:14 PM by Carbine.)

It came down to the final game of the season, but the Whalers clinched their second consecutive Laurier Trophy with a win over the Armada. The entire season was a neck-and-neck race between the Whalers and Knights as both featured incredibly strong lineups with numerous capped players on both sides. To put into perspective how far apart the Whalers and Knights were from the rest of the league: the third-best Colorado Raptors finished nearly 20 points back of the two teams.

The difference for the Whalers this season was the scoring ability of their 2nd Line. Eriks Skalbergs and David Kastrba were fixtures on the 2nd Line all season and put up insane numbers for players that were expected to be the complement to the Whalers top line of Andani, Ball, and Robert. Skalbergs led the league in Goals, Points, Shots, Points Per 20, Plus/Minus, and Game Winning Goals. Kastrba was the perfect linemate for Skalbergs - he finished tied for 3rd in Assists, 1st in points among Left Wingers, 5th in Hits (with only 30 PIMs), and scored at a 1.1 P/20 pace. In fact, Skalbergs and Kastrba were the only two players with a 1+ P/20 stat in the league this season.

Other GMs may want to take note of how the Whalers set-up their lines this season. It's a big reason why the Whalers are expected to finish the job this season and take home the Four Star Cup.

[Image: Carbine.gif]
Sig Credit: Suavemente, rum_ham, Turd Ferguson

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

[Image: 711381262207811636.png]