Create Account

S42 SMJHL Entry Draft First Round Overview

1,509 Words

With the S43 SHL Entry Draft only mere days away, I figured it might be interesting to take a look at the first round picks from last seasons SMJHL Entry Draft. From this we may be able to discern who will rise and fall on the boards.

(excuse any stupid errors)

First Overall - Jax Aittokallio - Anchorage Armada  Armada

Position: Center
Shoots: Right
Jersey Number: 13
Height (ft.): 6'1"
Weight (lbs.): 208
TPE 280
-Notable Stats-
7 G | 15 A | 105 SHTS | 50.79% FO % 

Regular Season Review
Aittokallio had a pretty stellar season for the most part! He was given top 5 minutes in Anchorage so you know they see his potential. He very well could be one of the top scorers in the upcoming years here in the SMJHL, but this season it was all about getting it to his open veterans such as Carter and Raegan. The rookie Center took the most FOTs and, put up a respectable 50.79% in his debut season. All in all he performed about as expected, but as long as he keeps getting in attempts like he has been I wouldn't be very surprised to see those goals scored trending upward in the very near future. As far as his training and progression goes he's right there near the top with the best of his class.

Second Overall - Leshaun King - Halifax Raiders  raiders

Jersey Number: 50
Height (ft.): 6'5
Weight (lbs.): 240lbs
293 TPE
-Notable Stats-
14 G | 19 A | +11 | 128 SHT

Regular Season Review
The big Center and 2nd overall pick King had a lot to prove last season. He wasn't well known until only weeks before the draft, and for the most part people had no idea where the young upstart came from. He quickly put his doubters to rest and put up an immaculate season. He's got double digits in both goals and assists, and the kid was getting shots on the net about as often as I did when I tried tennis. He is apart of a very young Halifax team, and you can tell these guys just really gel together. It is said King will be going #1 Overall in the SHL Entry Draft, and I think its a solid choice. The kids work ethic has been unmatched thus far, though some experts worry if this could all come to a plateau sooner rather than later.

Third Overall - Max Mauldin - Vancouver Whalers   Whalers

Position: Left Wing
Jersey Number: 32
Height (ft.): 6'5" (77)
Weight (lbs.): 215lbs 
274 TPE
-Notable Stats-
2 G | 4 A | 42 HIT 

Regular Season Review
Mauldin was given the least amount of time to shine out of the first rounders, playing only 516 minutes throughout the season. During this time I think more was expected from him, but he was surrounded by a lot of talented vets, and sometimes its hard to find your place early on in that type of environment. Fact of the matter is when he was out there he damn sure let the other team know it. This Forward was looking to lay down the hurt when he hit the ice, and that he did, laying out 42 players during his short time played. I think we will see a very big jump in Mauldins performance next season when he is given more time! He's another kid whos got a strong work ethic, and I expect that to keep up.

Fourth Overall - Crush Cile - Halifax Raiders  raiders

Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Left
Jersey Number: 84
Height (ft.): 6'4"
Weight (lbs.): 220
278 TPE
-Notable Stats-
17 G | 15 A | 74 HIT | 21.52% SHT %

Regular Season Review
Cile put on what is arguably the second best season out of the first rounders, and that adds weight to how strong Halifax could end up being in the near future. Not only did Cile score a nice amount of goals, but he was super efficient with his shots posting a 21.52% shot percentage on the season. Along with that, he let the other team feel it with 74 hits on the entire season. There is not a lot more you can ask out of you Right Winger than that, but he still made sure to get a very healthy amount of assists. All in all Cile is expected to do the exact same thing next season, only BETTER and, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Hes got the drive and, potential to make waves for years to come!

Fifth Overall - Goku Muerto - St.Louis Scarecrows  Scarecrows

Position: C
Jersey Number: 71
Height (ft.): 6' 1"
Weight (lbs.): 198
265 TPE
-Notable Stats-
6 G | 16 A | 45.88% FO %

Regular Season Review
Muerto was expected to come out as a strong on the puck, play making center and that he was! The Center set his guys up a total of 16 times, and even managed to find the back of the net 6 times himself. He also took on the bulk of face off attempts, however did not fair as well as some other rookie centers. More than likely the top prospect in St.Louis it seems he fell off the track just slightly when it comes to his progression, at least when compare to his first round peers, but the difference is negligible at best and, is mostly speculation on experts ends. I expect to see a bit increase in assists, and FO% for Muerto next season!

Sixth Overall - Eero Niemi - Anchorage Armada  Armada

Jersey Number: 81
Height (ft.): 6'0"
Weight (lbs.): 176
253 TPE
-Notable Stats-
12 G | 18 A | 17 HIT | 19 HTT

Regular Season Review
Niemi was doing just about everything he could out there for Anchorage and it shows, 12 goals along with 18 assists is nothing to scoff out for a rookie season and, it easily places him in one of the top spots despite not receiving top 5 minutes. A couple of things that really stand out to me are the fact that, he was a ghost when it comes to hits. Which isn't a bad thing, he sure wasn't hitting a lot, but he didn't take a lot of hits either. I think that could be a big boost to his game, if hes able to avoid that kind of stuff, and stay ahead of the pack, keep his momentum going. Its going to lead to more break out plays for certain. Another thing I noticed was a possible lack of training, and a slow down on progression when compared to other first rounders. It could be nothing, and it more than likely is, but it is something to note.

Seventh Overall - Krištof Kovacs - Halifax Raiders  raiders

Jersey Number: 27
Height: 5ft 8in
Weight: 185 lbs 
273 TPE
-Notable Stats-
11 G | 10 A | 54.60 % FO %

Regular Season Review
More Halifax players? Yup! In fact thats all that are left, in double fact they are brothers! These picks are basically interchangeable, which is convenient because whether they want to admit it or not, one of these brothers had a better season than the other. Krištof had a killer season as a Center for Halifax, and he was strong on the face offs posting a 54.60% even with taking the most attempts on the team! Along with that he was balanced both with play making and finishing, his total Goals and Assists reflect that. Along with many others on this list he has a top notch work ethic and potential!

Eighth Overall - Oliver Kovacs - Halifax Raiders   raiders

Jersey Number: 88
Height: 5ft 10in
Weight: 170 lbs 
277 TPE
-Notable Stats-
11 G | 22 A | 92 SHT

Regular Season Review
However in my opinion his brother out preformed him in the long run, I mean you cannot argue with 22 assists in his rookie season, he was at the right place, and always made sure to get it to a person in a BETTER place, and that's what play making is all about! Though he wasn't very efficient with his shot, he kept the D and goalie on their toes often peppering the net with shots throughout a game. I think both of these guys are hard workers, and have similar potential and two things will be very interesting with them when it comes to the upcoming draft. First, is there any way they end up on the same SHL team? Two, who goes first? 

I hope you've enjoyed the read, I think this will be a first round class that will be remembered for a long time, from the reports I've read S43 is shaping up to be one of the strongest classes in SHL History, will it live up to the hype, or will a majority of these players fizzle out? Only time with tell! 

Panthers  Militia   Militia   Panthers

Good post my man.

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

08-26-2018, 01:09 AMGood_Ole_Kimmy Wrote: Good post my man.

Thanks much buddy!

Good read my man.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

Great read @Radsin

Love seeing quality articles!

Very much appreciated guys! I hope to improve the more I do it.