Create Account

SMJHL Should Be Careful This Season

Keep in mind also that people like ofer and park have been long time administrators of this site (and some of the best in their respective leagues) and have a lot fo experience dealing with issues similar to this. Not saying they know everything or are never wrong but these guys know what has worked in the past and what issues have arisen

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

12-28-2018, 01:42 PMMayuu Wrote: @"luketd" do you have any stats on when people went inactive?

I feel like in our draft class the most people went inactive around the SHL draft and not during the season, I never really worried when I was going up since I've been enjoying the SMJHL and the members of Falcons. But I can see why people quit when they see how long it will take to break into a roster.
Not for our draft class, I wasn’t tracking weekly updates during our smjhl. Give me an hour or so let me see what I can dig with

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 02:19 PM by InciteHysteria.)

I just find it hard to fight TPE inflation. When the top players are all rocking 1600-2000 TPE and the roleplayers are at 900-1300. Well, you're kind of stuck playing unfavorable minutes and that doesn't incentivize players to want to go up. If you play brand new members on the top lines in the SMJHL and then 6 weeks later they're relegated to being 3rd (and more likely 4th) line plugs, you're not keeping interest. You might have them hooked for that 6 week SMJHL season, but then stuck looking at an insurmountable mountain to climb for 4-5 more seasons to catch up to the people on the lines above them.

The problem simply stems from how STHS works and how we do a slow build as a player. Real hockey has players that are far above their peers in talent level early on, the SHL doesn't have that, we have a progression/luck based system.

What I do agree with in all of this is that send downs winning Jesster are a big no-no in my book. I think that after a player is down for 3 seasons or is over a certain TPE threshold, they should be disqualified from being considered a Jesster candidate. My last rookie season in the SHL was S41 with, now retired Luuk Kraaijkamp, and I finished 3rd in Jesster voting as a rookie with around 500 TPE at the time of my going up. I scored 34 points on Toronto that season while the winner of the Jesster scored 42 points. The difference in our TPE was maybe 400 or more at the time. I will admit that I am guilty on my current player of wanting to stay "seasoning" in the SMJHL, but that's more of a product of the current system than what I would like it to be.

I just don't see a quick fix to a lot of the issues.

[Image: 3GSD0dd.gif]
[Image: m1IMt5k.gif]

I agree with kit that it seems from an outsiders perspective that people forgot what the SMJHL is truly about. Which is being a developmental league that has the primary goal of getting new members hooked on the concept of our site. Kinda around when Merica and Maxy changed the playoff format from everyone gets in to 2 teams actually miss the playoffs, thankfully that point was reverted which is a step in the right direction imo.

IMO SHL expansion was overdue and could have lessened the hit the SMJHL will take from the influx of players.

As someone who just recently did some research on this. Usually about 80% of the players drafted to the SMJHL will actually get drafted to the SHL in a reddit summer draft which means that we will see about 92 people actually getting drafted to the SHL in S46. Of these 92 people about 35% actually hit 1k TPE in a reddit summer draft. So we can expect about 32 people in this S46 class to hit 1k TPE by S56. Since we have some "life cycles" in the SHL with former reddit drafts retiring we might not even need a new SHL expansion after this one but if this draft class will even just be slightly better in terms of player retention we 100% will need another SHL Expansion by S55

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Wtf is this entitled new member doing posting something like this in SHL Discussion?

Maybe if you spend a little more time here rather than just a few weeks you would understand

S45 is the new S20

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 03:38 AM by kit.)

"As a GM in the SMJHL I've never focused on winning as much as I focus on developing players so that they enjoy the SHL to it's fullest, and are successful in the league."

a message from probably the best smjhl gm ever that could teach current smjhl gms a lot imo.

o wow look and he posted right above me

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

I'm very guilty of the being sent-down for more than two seasons (I've gone the four-season distance twice), but in short it's because I've yet to have fun in my 27 seasons in the SHL. The SMJHL, however, offers a much better environment and competition, and most of my fondest memories in my time here come from the juniors. In fact, all but one of my favorite moments are from the SMJHL (the last one is international).

So I apologize for that, but I do not feel guilty either.

Granted the SHL's environment has changed as well. True rookies are incredibly rare for a reason and it's very difficult to join the SHL and become a start in 3 or less seasons these days.

A two-league idea has been proposed with juniors and a farm league being implemented, but all I see is good deterrent to being sent-down in the first place.

If any change of the sort were to be implemented, which I am against at least right now, I'd love to see numbers and some basic analytics to figure out if it's worth shortening junior eligibility with both SMJHL rookies and send-downs considered.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

12-28-2018, 01:36 PMkit Wrote:
12-28-2018, 01:33 PMGrapehead Wrote: *agrees with post*
*looks at user*
[Image: DrIUD0ZVYAAqo4V.jpg]

tbh ill address this.

I used to be an asshole, Im sorry. I could blame it on shit i could list excuses but ultimately i was a terrible person on this site and i apologize to everyone i effected negatively and dont wanna be like that. Ultimately i care a lot about this league, and a lot of my ranting and rambling stems from that, i just hope that those who disagree with me or those that hold grudges against me can see that, and can see im actively trying to go back to being like the member i originally was on this forum and trying to be productive. not tryna hijak this thread just somethin i wanted to say Cheers

cutie

[Image: 3.png]