Create Account

Weekend Funtime: The GOAT List

The GOAT list

1. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
2. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
3. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
4. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
5. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
6. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
7. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
8. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.

Explanation:
ToeDragons most TPE is a huge accomplishment, not many can get near him and should be looked at as the SHL's Gretzky. Kelowna's 3-peat is insane, it was hard to choose between these two for me. Of course, Calgary's many playoff appearances is nothing to look down on either.

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26

2. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
3. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
4. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
5. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers
6. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
7. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
8. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Ferguson Awards.

Explanation:
1. after 1500-1600 TPE the motivation to update and bank is extremely eroded for most. Just passing 2000 is special but to make it to 2285 and still maintain 1800-ish TPE to this day is nuts as the class hit it's first 15% regresssion.
2. Garbanzo has managed to stay an effective defenseman for a ridiculously long time and his blocks record is not close to being challenged anytime soon
3. Nour is the only GM to have done a 3-peat in any of the leagues. Yes it cost a lot in the long term and made the team's recovery harsh but he's shown that it could be done at any level by pulling the right moves.
4. What's more impressive here is that the IIHF is such a short tournament so you don't have too many games to figure lines out. Direct elimination makes this doubly impressive.
5. Props to him being this committed to a single team for so long.
6. A symbol of consistency and regular season excellence. This won't be matched for a long time.
7. Goalies are a product of their environment in this league. Prince had a great team in front of him that helped him pull out this lifetime SHL record.
8. Foster was built with the Turd in mind. Still to get it this many times over his career is impressive.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

The GOAT list:

1. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history) - Grinding out that much TPE for that long is just incredibly insane. He suffered through PbPs and just so much stuff that isn't always worth it just to get more and more TPE. It'll be hard to ever really top that. That's a lot of IRL time to get that much.

2. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43) - I know that people have complained about how nour sold out the franchise to get those cups, but the truth is its incredibly hard to win the Four Star Cup. Having the best team doesn't matter to STHS. Its a lot of luck, especially with the lower TPE players (Goalies especially) where anything can happen. Winning it once is hard enough (trust me), and with the roster turnover each season, plus new players going IA just because the SHL 'isn't for them', going back to back is extremely difficult. So to get three in a row? I wouldn't be surprised if that's never repeated again in our history.

3. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers. - @Wasty gets some credit here, because honestly, this league can burn you out in no time. It's very impressive that Wasty hasn't gone off the deep end dealing with this place, and it makes me think that maybe he's a robot.

4. Thaddeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net. - This is impressive because of the sheer luck it has to take to get to this point. I know that Prince has been pitted against struggling teams, but for his lower TPE, he shouldn't have that hell of a record.

5. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons. - Its impressive to have that level of consistency in this league. With so many TPE levels going up and down each season, and the STHS randomness, most teams experience down turn at some point. But when you have a locker room that's working for each other the way it is in Calgary, you're consistent. When the teams around you are always rebuilding or just aren't ever good (save for a random season here and there), its a little bit easier to do.

6. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present) - This feels a little too low, but i think this feat could be easier to replicate than the ones above it. An IIHF team with good leadership and a great core of younger players can always compete. So when they're at their "max window" for winning, they just have to make the knockout stage of the tournament. Then its all 1v1 matchups, and the percentage of winning is higher for that team. Its luck a bit sure, again, STHS, but i do think a solid team that isn't really regressing can potentially do this again.

7/8. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)/Danny Foster's 7 Turd Ferguson Awards - I placed these two at a tie because honestly these can be replicated the easiest. Get a shit ton of TPE and play a shit ton of seasons and you can catch Garbanzo, and dump TPE into fighting and checking and you'll win the PIMs award. Its harder, of course, to do the Shot Blocks in this case, but i dont think its nearly as hard to do as anything above.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

02-02-2019, 10:30 AMiamslm22 Wrote:
02-01-2019, 07:29 PMml002 Wrote: The Four Star isn't a crap shoot when you trade away draft picks for "active" (players that stalled out at ~350 but will log in to sign a min contract that doesn't count as inactive) players. I'm sorry but people are crediting KEL way too much. I was in that LR for all three cup wins. The first was fun, second had a few actives, and the third was had basically no actives. The KEL discord by the third one was a few alums that talked but maybe one active player.

I don't know what you're talking about. They traded for veteran capped dudes with a year left of eligibility (like me). Just because guys like me and Toner didn't talk a ton in there doesn't mean we weren't active. I don't think that's fair to say at all.

For the S41 cup sure, but the S42 one was as ded as a LR can get. It comes down to the point of Juniors. It's about development, not trading away your picks for already capped players just so you can cement your legacy

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

1. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present) - Doing this in a best of one series is extremely impressive!
2. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons. - STHS can be extremely unlucky to a team. Steelhead seems to be immune to the STHS curse!
3. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history) - Insane amount of TPE, truly impressive!
4. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers. - Talk about dedication without getting burnt out, don't think many could do that.
5. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place) - Very impressive (though I feel Alonzo has gotten a lot of minutes and has played on some teams that give up a lot of shots.. this isn't fact checked though)
6. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43) - Truly a dynasty! I feel like I underrate Junior accomplishments though.
7. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net. - Great record, but still a relatively small sample size and playing behind good teams.
8. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards. -Impressive but I feel like not a lot of players focus heavily into fighting and checking making the competition slim.

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

1. -Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
3. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
4. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
5. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
6. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
7. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
8. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.

Wasty being GM for S31 seasons with the amount of success he's had is truly remarkable and surely a record that will never be broken. Do GM's have to win something eventually to keep their job? Garbanzo blocks is also impressive. They're all impressive, but Wasty takes the cake.

'ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
-Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
-Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
-Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
-Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
-Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
-Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
-Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers. (I guess you could say he was Wasty-ing his time away in LA)

Toe basically had to do every fucking thing to get that record. He is boss. The other things are impressive, but this is a record directly from his efforts. It was effort driven.

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!

1. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
2. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
3. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
4. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
5. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
6. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
7. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)

Wasty GMing for 31 seasons is definitely the winner here. Buddy's put so much time into this site and I can't see how he doesn't top this list. Toe earning so much TPE is also impressive, as is Calgary being so good for so long. Kelowna winning 3 straight championships is also impressive with how much turnover there is in the SMJHL.

[Image: Jepox.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 05:30 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

THE GOAT LIST

-Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons.
-ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
-Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.
-Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
-Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
-Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
-Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
-Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.

Explananation: What makes the Dragon accomplishment so great was that the pundits had them ready for a rebuild in or around S37.. which means that the teams talent was considered sub playoff par... yet somehow the franchise went on to win 2 more championships with that talent base... also as someone thats maxed at a pretty high TPE number i marvel at that 2285 that Visser had. The only reason hes not ahead of Calgary is that in this era you cant get to 2285... the PGS criteria has changed as your only allowed to claim that +15 in your rookie season so i tend to look at that 2285 as 2175 in this era.. which is still absolutley remarkable.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

The GOAT list

2. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net.
4. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place)
5. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
6. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
7. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
8. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers.

Explanation: Visser has pretty much the best player season in and season out since he's came into the SHL with the Jets. Prince's record is pretty impressive and the Dragons's record is basically equivalent to the Red Wings record in the NHL. Garbanzo's durability alone is pretty good considering how many time he's put his body on line. And Kelowna has pretty much a long term SMJHL Dynasty.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

2. Ireland's 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
3. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more than 2nd place)
4. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers
5. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards
6. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons
7. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net
8. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 Star Cup Championships (S40-43)

Explanation:
That TPE amount is insane. I don't expect that anyone else will ever come close to that amount, that requires an insane amount of consistency and even a bit of luck in regards to the success it takes to get that much TPE. Ireland's achievement also requires a bit of luck and that's why it is up there in terms of rankings. IIHF is single elimination, winner takes all after the round robin and to win 3 straight seasons worth of those games? Impressive. Garbanzo owns a record that is going to be hard to touch. That sheer amount of blocks is very impressive and while yes, some of that comes from longevity, it is still an amount that is impressive, especially given how far behind second is. Wasty gets major props for sticking with the Panthers for as long as he has. I know SHL GMing is different than SMJHL GMing, but it is a strong time commitment. To be able to do that for 31 seasons is insane. 

Why Kelowna is last: Impressive that they won 3 4 Star Cups in a row? Yes, absolutely. Mad props to Nour for that. However, the way they won puts it very low on my list. Selling all your rookies and draft picks and active players for a bunch of inactives doesn't do it for me. A dead locker room isn't worth the titles, especially when it comes to the SMJHL where we are supposed to be developing players for the next level.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

2. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history)
5. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place) Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
6. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)

Wasty has been GMing for like 5 years in real life time. That's fuckin crazy to me. Even GMing for 1 whole year is crazy to me. Toe is a close 2nd and would easily be 1st if Wasty wasn't in the options. I don't know how he made it possible. I know people who bought equipment every season and did everything they could and barely scrathed 2K TPE. Toe has like 300 TPE more. It's crazy to me, takes a ton of dedication.

[Image: 3.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 10:10 PM by Sean.)

The GOAT list

1. Wasty's 31 seasons as GM
2. Toedragon 2285
3. Kelowna's 3 straight
4. Ireland's 3 straight
5. Calgary making playoffs 20 of 21 seasons
6. Garbonzo's blocked shots
7. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergusons
8. Thadeus Prince 29-4-1 career record

I feel Wasty's takes the most real work followed by Toedragon's so they are 1 and 2. Of the three team accomplishments I think Kelowna's was most difficult because of SMJHL turnover + Simon T randomness. Ireland's next because of simon T and Calgary's last because it's easier to make the playoffs and there's a season they missed. I then rank the individual records 6-8 lower than those team records with general impressiveness being my criteria.

Note: This really should have been a PT I'd gladly have written 150+ words.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 10:41 PM by grok.)

The GOAT List

3. Irelands 3 straight IIHF gold medals (S42-Present)
4. Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards
5. Calgary making the playoffs in 20 of 21 seasons
6. Thadeus Prince has a 29-4-1 lifetime SHL record in net
7. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43)
8. Wasty's 31 seasons as the GM of the Panthers

Explanation:
2285 TPE is true dedication to the league, through and through.
Putting your body on the line over 1700 times is a mark of a true team player.
Creating a home-grown team of talent is challenging but rewarding. Not as impressive as the individual talents above but the greatest team accomplishment here.
7 year-end position awards demonstrates true mastery of a role on the ice, but statistically doesn't touch ToeDragons or Alonzo Garbanzo.
Making the playoffs so many times in a row is impressive, but over half the teams in SHL make it in. Being at least average isn't an accomplishment, it's an expectation.
Wins records are great--I would know--but they ultimately are team accomplishments before player accomplishments.
Kelowna's threepeat will forever be tainted by the suspension of their GM for failing to report a budget, even if that didn't significantly impact their accomplishment.
GMing 31 seasons is dedication, but doesn't say anything about results.

2. ToeDragons 2285 TPE (most TPE in league history) 
5. Alonzo Garbanzo's 1738 blocks (438 more then 2nd place) Danny Foster's 7 Turd Fergeson Awards.
6. Kelowna winning 3 straight 4 star cup championships (S40-43) 

I was hesitant to have Visser so high as, yes it's incredible he managed to obliterate the tpe record, but inflation played a role in that. That being said, keeping it up for an entire career is proven dedication. This brings me to Wasty, his dedication to graphics is only second bested by being a gm for 3 decades in the shl. That is incredible longevity and shows true dedication.