Create Account

Poll: Best sig
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
[Image: Kurczewski2a.png]
53.33%
32 53.33%
[Image: V3CSd5z.png]
46.67%
28 46.67%
Total 60 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Round 1: Karlssens vs Wasty
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2019, 10:20 PM by Lazyeye.)

Round 1
@karlssens vs @Wasty

Voting ends at 11:59pm ESt on Friday

Good luck!

[Image: I3BTEQc.png][Image: dGD5tIx.png]

This one is really tough

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

How is this so close Hmm They're both good but one's text/render work is far superior. Then you look at the backgrounds and I legit don't know how this is even a contest.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

02-25-2019, 11:59 PMJNH Wrote: How is this so close Hmm  They're both good but one's text/render work is far superior.  Then you look at the backgrounds and I legit don't know how this is even a contest.

to play devils advocate, it's not necessary about how intricate all the specific details are. It's how it comes together and many people seem to think the Chicago one came together better than the Specters sig.

I get it, when you spend time analyzing, one shows more technical skill, but does that make it a better sig?

02-26-2019, 12:03 AMkarey Wrote:
02-25-2019, 11:59 PMJNH Wrote: How is this so close Hmm  They're both good but one's text/render work is far superior.  Then you look at the backgrounds and I legit don't know how this is even a contest.

to play devils advocate, it's not necessary about how intricate all the specific details are. It's how it comes together and many people seem to think the Chicago one came together better than the Specters sig.

I get it, when you spend time analyzing, one shows more technical skill, but does that make it a better sig?

That's great and all but even under that criteria... one of them is superior. The bottom sig looks like the render was abused with the sharpen tool and then the text is slapped on top, they're like two distinct elements. The top sig has flow to it and good blending of the elements.

I know it's art and subjective and everyone's allowed to have their opinion but I'm gonna say their opinion is bad in this case.

Again this isn't a shot at the sig creator, god knows I'm far from being the best. Just saying comparatively it doesn't measure up.

02-26-2019, 12:09 AMJNH Wrote: That's great and all but even under that criteria... one of them is superior.  The bottom sig looks like the render was abused with the sharpen tool and then the text is slapped on top, they're like two distinct elements.  The top sig has flow to it and good blending of the elements.

I know it's art and subjective and everyone's allowed to have their opinion but I'm gonna say their opinion is bad in this case.  

Again this isn't a shot at the sig creator, god knows I'm far from being the best.  Just saying comparatively it doesn't measure up.

I am a designer, one who has spent years in the field working in editorial and professional work. I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the bottom sig and shows effort, technical skills, and conscientious attention to composition. I would argue that the lighting is superior, the vignetting is beautifully done, the skin tone feels more natural and less sickly/underexposed, the text actually works really well to not detract from the focal point, the background is subtle and not distracting but provides depth as a strong background should. Your point of the text not blending in with the render is a subjective standard that not all designs are required to conform to. My personal sig is just text slapped onto the render, yet is considered quality work.

You aren't wrong in your criticisms, but feeling because this matchup being close is an injustice, is too strong a stance IMO. The people are voting, sometimes in situations like this, we have to humble ourselves and realize that what public opinion finds appealing may be different from what we appreciate.

02-26-2019, 02:13 AMkarey Wrote:
02-26-2019, 12:09 AMJNH Wrote: That's great and all but even under that criteria... one of them is superior.  The bottom sig looks like the render was abused with the sharpen tool and then the text is slapped on top, they're like two distinct elements.  The top sig has flow to it and good blending of the elements.

Again this isn't a shot at the sig creator, god knows I'm far from being the best.  Just saying comparatively it doesn't measure up.

I am a designer, one who has spent years in the field working in editorial and professional work. I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the bottom sig and shows effort, technical skills, and conscientious attention to composition. I would argue that the lighting is superior, the vignetting is beautifully done, the skin tone feels more natural and less sickly/underexposed, the text actually works really well to not detract from the focal point, the background is subtle and not distracting but provides depth as a strong background should. Your point of the text not blending in with the render is a subjective standard that not all designs are required to conform to. My personal sig is just text slapped onto the render, yet is considered quality work.

You aren't wrong in your criticisms, but feeling because this matchup being close is an injustice, is too strong a stance IMO. The people are voting, sometimes in situations like this, we have to humble ourselves and realize that what public opinion finds appealing may be different from what we appreciate.

> designer
> years in the field
> nothing wrong with the bottom sig

wat

"The skin tone feels more natural and less sickly/underexposed" - How? Pastrnak looks like he's half albino? tf. The Pavs sig at least has some colour in the face, like when blood is naturally in your face. I'm not saying the Pavs skin is perfect because something about it is throwing me off but when Pasta looks like he has a bad stomach bug and hasn't eaten in 3 days and you say it looks more natural and less sickly I can't agree with that any less.

I just don't get how these can be judged to be equivalent honestly. There's an effort on the Pavs sig to make every piece work in harmony: the text, the render, the stock work etc. The Pasta sig is just black background + Syndicate logo with lowered opacity. Beautiful vignette work. I don't know if it was intentional or not but the way the render pops out from the background with an outline it ends up looking like it was cut poorly. A lot of sharpen effect on the render. Some nice lighting on the shoulder, I agree, but it also just ends on the shoulder and doesn't carry on elsewhere in the sig like the render and the background aren't linked at all.

Finally on your point of your sig text being just "slapped on the render" and still being quality work, I believe that was more evidence to my point. It's quality work because it doesn't look like dogshit, it works with the style of the sig and doesn't stand out excessively or anything.

I've seen your sigs and graphics work, it's outstanding and you very clearly know what you're doing and the distinction between strong & weaker gfx. How're you gonna go around saying there is "nothing wrong" with the bottom sig?

Also apologies to the top sig maker, I realize I've ended up inadvertently ripping your sig and that wasn't my intention. I'm not a super talented gfx artist or anything, just sharing my opinion and there are some elements that I do really like of it.

Y u so opinionated mannnnnnn

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

I personally think Karly did a really great job with his sig and I think his execution and composition merits every votes he's recieved. I think wasty made a great sig as well, sure I mentioned a few things above to nitpick about, but that was moreso to prove a point.

That's all I am going to say about this because both of these are fucking dope, and even if they weren't dope, the willingness to put something out for the joy of making graphics deserves commendation and not toxic criticism.

Felicia going to bed.. bye
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2019, 10:36 AM by spooked.)

Chill dudes. Better text and 2 would be better. Top one is better right now but I feel like I've seen more than handful of very similar ones before which kind of undervalues the technical aspects for me when it comes to picking the one I like more. :(

Top is a 9 bottom is like a 7.999999999

regardless of how this goes down I appreciate the constructive criticism @JNH and @karey . Stuff to work on for next time.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

02-26-2019, 05:21 PMkarlssens Wrote: regardless of how this goes down I appreciate the constructive criticism @JNH and @karey . Stuff to work on for next time.

Yeah sorry if it came off as me being harsh/rude to your work man. I appreciate the time and effort that went in and it was nothing against you personally.

Damn dis one closeee.

[Image: I3BTEQc.png][Image: dGD5tIx.png]