Create Account

Idiot's guide to the SHL draft S47
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019, 06:03 PM by Fordyford.)

I was very bored today, so I created a spreadsheet with all the prospects in the upcoming draft on it. Having done that, I will be ranking the prospects in tiers, in order to try and bring this knowledge to the world. The format is Player name - username - Position - TPE (a star indicates they have the highest TPE in this position) - SMJHL draft position

TIER 0: Literally untouchable

We know what's happening to these 2 players, because they're the players of Steelhead77, the GM of Calgary, and vbottas17, the Co of LA.

ESA PARMBORG - Steelhead77 - C - 273 - 1OA

Esa is a well known figure around the site, and Steelhead's new player is no exception, having been drafted #1 OA in the SMJHL draft. Arguably, however, the player shouldn't even be in this article, as is automatically drafted to Calgary.

THOMAS BATHORY - vbottas17 - D - 267 - 3OA

Bathory is looking likely to be a strong player in the future, but (for now) we know where he'll be drafted, as LA must use their first 2nd round pick on him, which is currently 26 OA, and barring a trade that's where he'll be drafted.

Tier 1: The big guns

These players are the players I expect to go early in the first round. There will be 6 players in this section, and I'd expect the top 5 to include 5 of them.

GUNNAR SÖDERBERG - sköldpappor - RW - 286 - 5OA

There's a lot of talk around Gunnar, the complete rookie to the site, and many saying he's likely to be drafted 1st overall by the Winnipeg Jets. I'm not utterly convinced, but he's definitely a frontrunner, being 2nd on TPE in the draft

FILIP ZADINA - jjlangabeer - RW - 305 ** - 10OA

Zadina was the last player drafted in the first round of the SMJHL draft this year, and it's paid off for the Scarecrows, with them achieving a third consecutive four star cup this season. Zadina is currently the TPE leader of the S47 class, and is expected, along with Söderberg, to be one of the top wingers selected (with at least one top 5 pick believed to be looking for a winger, it'll be something of a race)

CULLEN GRAY - Gray - LW - 279* - 17OA

Cullen Gray appears to have been something of a steal for Vancouver at 17th overall, with him posting the highest TPE for a left winger in the S47 class so far. He is also apparently quite popular with GMs, and likely to go high. I wouldn't put him top 3, but he's definitely a contender for top 5

JAX DUGGAN - SecondSucks22 - D - 275 - 8OA

Jax Duggan is maybe an unlikely choice to be one of the top contenders, but he's making a lot of noise about it in various discord servers. Who knows where he'll go, but if you want a dark horse pick for the top 5, this is your man. At least 2 of the top 5 picks are thought likely to be defensemen, and he is (equal) 2nd in defenseman TPE, so it's not that surprising

CHARLIE SERPE - Serpe x 13 - D - 280* - 15OA

Charlie Serpe is thought to be a likely contender for the top 5, especially as he leads defensemen in TPE. He may be before or after Duggan, who knows, but one thing for sure is if teams are after d-men, he's one they'll be looking for

MARC HAGAN - CampinKiller - C - 277* - 4OA

CampinKiller, the SMJHL simmer, is definitely a safe bet for a team looking for an active player, and as he also leads centres on TPE, teams will look to take him fairly early. We'll see where he goes, but it could be top 5 for sure.

TIER 2: The outside bets

These are players who I consider likely to go in the first round, with an outside shot at a top 5 pick.

AUSTIN ROENICK - XLeafer - RW - 279 - 11OA

Roenick is definitely the closest of these players to T1, but I've held him back slightly, because there are 2 RWs above him. He may well go in the top 5, but I think it likely he drops a little further.

JULIO TOKOLOSH - Julio Tokolosh - RW - 275 - 14OA

The next batch of players all lie within a very small TPE range, and I have been unable to find out details on where these players are considered likely to drop down to, but I suspect these players, especially as most of them are very active, and many of them complete rookies to the site, will be taken in the mid to late first round. Julio Tokolosh is expected to be a solid winger in the future. He may have suffered from bad luck, in that he's behind a lot of very capable RWs, but will hope to get a late first round pick.

COREY KENNEDY - SDCore - D - 275 - 2OA

Corey Kennedy was the big surprise of the SMJHL draft, getting picked 2nd overall, but is expected to drop slightly further this time around. He's again equal second TPE for a D-man in this draft, with Jax Duggan, and as D is predicted to be popular by many, Corey could go quite early.

ESPEN KNUTSEN JR. - Randominoe - C - 275 - 9OA

Espen Knutsen is another strong candidate for an early pick, if teams are looking for centres, but I suspect he'll drop a bit further. 

SAMI RAANTA - Sami - C - 274 - 16OA

Raanta is another Centre, and having finshed our batch of 275 TPEers, just one step below. Again, if teams want centres he could be an early pick, but there are now a lot of centres going.

EKO VAN OTTER - bwrabbitt - RW - 274 - 29OA

Eko Van Otter was one of the huge steals of the SMJHL draft, with the Anchorage Armada selecting him 29th overall. He's another right wing option, that might cause him to drop further than he would like, but he seems to be a safe bet for the first round

TONY FORD - Fordyford - D - 273 - 6OA

Tony Ford looks like another Dman likely to drop slightly further than his SMJHL draft position, but with his teammate Van Otter is another likely first rounder. He's 4th highest defenseman in the TPE rankings, so that may be quite uplifting. Both him and Van Otter have expressed interest in playing together, but it seems unlikely, unless they go to Tampa, who have 5 first round picks including back to backs at 13 and 14, or some pick trading goes on over the next 2 days.

AKASHI SIXNINE - FourFour - D - 268 - 34OA

FourFour is another familiar face, so may be someone teams are looking at. He's kept up well on TPE so far as well.

HARRY CARPET - Carpy48 - G - 269* - 41OA

Carpet is perhaps the best player who won't be picked in the first round, because he's a goalie, and they're expected to be more unpopular than usual. His TPE and activity speak for themselves, but unless a team can bring themselves to use a pick on him that they could use on a skater, he'll likely drop.

TIER 3: The "Please let me be drafted by buffalo at number 18 so I can win a cup"s

These are the players fighting for the last of the first round picks, and who I consider most likely to go in the very late first and early second.

SLAP MCSHOTTY - bbjygm - C - 269 -  43OA

Another player I'd like to see in the first round, but probably won't because of the amount of known community members with similar TPE numbers. and the large amount of centres above him.

AARON WILSON - aaronwilson - C - 268 - 47 OA

Aaron wilson is another centre, and there are so many of them already, again, he seems likely to drop.

JOSEPH LARAQUE - blix900 - LW - 267 - 12OA

Laraque is a player who may have a shot of going towards the end of the first, but his TPE is a bit lower than teams may like to see at this stage. 

MARTIJN WESTBROEK - jnh - C - 267 - 23OA

JNH is again a very active member of the community, but his player is a bit behind. We'll see where he ends up though.

BORUVKA BANANAK - PeanutButter - RW - 265 - 19OA

Bananak is another contender to drop to the early second, but again, teams may be looking for activity, and this might be where they go for that.

Tier 4: I Can't be bothered to write a bit for all the player any more so I'm just gonna write them all out in order of TPE and let you decide. I'll write some descriptions because I like money though.

Jaguar Johnson - Shadowz1797 - LW - 260 - 32OA

Jaguar Johnson is a recreate with money in the bank, and at the top of this list he has relatively good outlook for the draft.

Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz - Lunatyck - LW - 254 - 50OA

Lallo Selman - BDonini - LW - 251 - UNDRAFTED

I dislike Lallo Selman. Because he decided to change his name. And I resent that. As a player, however, don't let the fact he was undrafted in the SMJHL deceive you, in fact, that may make him more desirable, because he created after the draft, and thus has had fewer TPE opportunities

Theo Morgan - RM - RW - 250 - UNDRAFTED

See above about being undrafted.

Gunnar Petrov - Hanson94 - LW - 249 - 33OA

Gunnar no 2, as he is known. That's about all he has going for him though.

Noah Gallagher - fever95 - LW - 246 - UNDRAFTED

Juulius Smonk - Storm - LW - 246 - 7OA

Storm's been a bit of a disappointment so far, but seems likely to pick up the pace later in life.

Spencer MacLean - birdwatcher69 - C - 244 - 39OA

I just like him because he plays on the Armada with me.

Alexander Andersson-Grande - SwegButthole - G - 242 - 26OA

What a username. Andersson-Grande is the second Goalie in the draft, which means his chances will be limited. I understand Toronto are likely to be looking for one, but other than that, their chances are limited.

Isaac Yamada - shut0ut - D - 239 - 25OA

Yamada just got a shoutout in NOLA's season round up, which indicates to me he's fancied as a late second rounder. We'll see.

Vadim Malichov - lizzywho - C - 239 - 18OA

Seemu Telanne - hockeyis66 - RW - 239 - 13OA 

Josh Driver - jblock3 - C - 238 - UNDRAFTED

Nicolaj Muller - esilverm - LW - 233 - UNDRAFTED

Wibbly McButternutz - Wibbly McButternutz - D - 233 - 22OA

Oh Wibbly, where have you gone. A big character, and very active during the last offseason, he has disappeared somewhat, although still seems to linger.

Jules L'éclair - LB. - RW - 230 - 31OA

Miika Salo - mcgriddleluver - D - 228 - 20OA

Jay Boom'Boom - leafssteen - D - 225 - 51OA

Joe Ackroyd - joslaker - D - 225 - 27OA

Jake Peralta - GoldenKnight - C - 222 - 30OA

Dale Miller - dmills3 - LW - 218 - UNDRAFTED

Mattie Brunton - brunners - D - 214 - 45OA

Savoli Tankovic - ItssYoBoiDaLegend - RW - 208 - 60OA

Ja'Aj Coitus-Wagg - Jaemistightdabs - C - 207 - 44OA

Lex Peters - LPeters17 - C - 207 - 28OA

Boris "The Beast" Poroshenko - The__Y-man__100 - C - 204 - UNDRAFTED

Ender Zavala - Thranduil - D - 202 - 21OA

Henry Morris IV - Taxman100 - D - 202 - UNDRAFTED

Luke Derion - Barracuda - G -196 - 40OA

The third goalie in the draft, and likely Luke will struggle to get picked. 

Joshua Maugher - DasMoose - D - 194 - 48OA

Igor Volkov - TheHockeyist - D - 193 - UNDRAFTED

Josef Kubinec - Marc Bradford - LW - 190 - UNDRAFTED

Sami Votto - Vanilla Price - LW - 182 - 38OA

Patrick Muller - RippleLuck - LW - 170 - 59OA

Aleister Crowley - MiniMan561 - LW - 169 - UNDRAFTED

Jan Silber - taktiX - RW - 165 - UNDRAFTED

A late comer to the draft, but Jan played on the Armada and therefore I like him. 

I'm definitely not just writing this footnote to get it up to a nice round 2000 words, but think it's important to note that though these are largely ordered by TPE (especially at the bottom), TPE will not be the main factor in deciding draft positioning. I also claim no legal responsibility for people who use this data to screw up their mock drafts. That is all.

Draft Double Media.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

Nice article. My username is Sami now btw

[Image: jHIZWUN.png]

04-08-2019, 03:59 PMSami Wrote: Nice article. My username is Sami now btw

I fixed it, along with BDonini's player name change. I took the usernames mostly from the SMJHL draft, which is why it was wrong.

Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM by hotdog.)

for those wondering if the implication here is (a) that this is a guide for idiots or (b) that this is a guide by an idiot

it's both :)

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz - Lunatyck - LW - 254 - 50OA

Such analysis wow

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig

04-08-2019, 06:27 PMLunatyck Wrote: Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz - Lunatyck - LW - 254 - 50OA

Such analysis wow

Hey I almost couldn't be bothered to write your name...

TIER 3: The "Please let me be drafted by buffalo at number 18 so I can win a cup"s

i like dis

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

good article

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

As someone who actually knows Swedish, I don't know whether sköldpappor was an intentional typo or not - still funny.

Thanks for writing!

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

"Jax Duggan is maybe an unlikely choice to be one of the top contenders" fuk u too

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

This aged awfully @Fordyford

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

04-18-2019, 01:03 AMSecondSucks22 Wrote: This aged awfully @Fordyford

Not my fault the teams are dumb.