Create Account

The Gambler's Ramble Text-Cast Episode 1.2: User Questions!

(Presser word count is 2100ish)

---

And I'm back with Part 2 of my text-cast, taking on the fan questions that I would've responded to over the mic if this were a podcast. I'll try to provide Nick Brain's perspective as well as my own for these questions to keep it tangentially related and prevent me from being docked by a media grader for being off-topic. Lets get to it!

---

-Question from @goldenglutes:
Favourite people from your draft class?

I seem to have been insulated from these weird beefs that keep cropping up between people on this site, so I get on well with pretty much everybody. Favourites would be Troy's user because the stretch of media he had going for a while was good, and I've had pretty positive interactions with Slothface/Daco/You/the Kelowna crew in general.

As for my own team I got on well with the Smebs (although I'm not happy about the fact a few of them just went up right away, indirectly putting us in the hole we're currently in right now. Can't blame them, but its frustrating) Knute noot's a good guy and I like him. I don't get to talk to pris much but shes said to be a paragon of virtue on the site and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary (wish I could say the same about her goony player.......) Trautner's been ok to me as well, and Jules Watt's guy is a decent dude in the locker room and a vital role player for us.

But yeah I got no real beef with anyone and I don't think anyone's got beef with me. Gimme like 10 seasons though, see if I can fix that Tongue

Nick Brain the character would've been best buds with Scarn and Knute noot for sure. Scarn friendship will probably continue to the big leagues since we're on the same team.

---

-Question from @"Flareon4043":
What's the REAL reason for Slothface's recovery that they don't want you to know?

I wasn't aware that Slothface was recovering from anything, except whatever tainted batch of strychnine ended up in Halifax's pre-game meals last season and forced a really good team to finish 7th and go out fairly early in the playoffs. Might've missed that media piece?

---

-Question from @FlappyGiraffe:
What has been your favourite aspect of the SHL so far?

The part where Nick Brain does well and I'm like "yaaaaay, I was partially responsible for that!". Theres an occasional satisfaction to the grind as well, and seeing the numbers go up. Theres also a nice commaroddy (to quote Don Cherry) about the site because I've gotten two okay locker rooms so far and haven't been exposed to this rampant toxicity people keep complaining about.

---

Thoughts on the new Sonic trailer? Are you going to go see it in theatres?

It was an absolute debacle and a disgrace to its form of media, so its basically par for the course for Sonic these days. I am not a fan of the games at all, don't mind watching them but the gotta go fast aspect is not appealing to me. 12 year old me was a huge fan of edgy-ass Shadow, and laughed at the terrible voice acting sprinkled throughout the series, but now its kinda trite. I do think the Sonic cartoon has a degree of interest to it, Knuckles mees aside, and I was hyped to see Sonic in Super Smash Bros Brawl, but its not for me. I doubt I'll see the movie and if I do Hollywood isn't seeing any of my dimes.

Nick Brain the character wouldn't be a Sonic fan either, hes a fighting game guy.

---

What kind of player should Jets fans expect to see Brain develop into? (Any NHL comparables?)

I'm still not entirely sure yet if I'm gonna flip to a defense strength over skating, which will affect my development within a couple seasons once I start approaching caps. I'm sort of on the borderline between casual fan and serious fan at this point, so I don't know who in the NHL fits the mold of "reasonably physical, good skater, great shot, responsible in own end, average playmaker." If I can keep my head above water from a media standpoint I should be able to keep up enough to become a sure-fire 1st liner though.

---

Have you been enjoying becoming team captain and coach with Colorado? Could you see yourself ever GMing a team in the future?

Yeah its been nice, but I've had some struggles this year. Raptors have obviously had a brutal year, and I feel partially responsible for that as I made a couple mis-steps in the draft that screwed us out of a couple talented players who could've filled the gaps a bit better (Jack Bauer, why weren't you on our Excel draft list....). I'm doing my best to help the newbies grow but its a slow process.

I doubt I'll go for GM for a while, if at all. I enjoy management sim games but everyone generally knows how to manipulate the trade AI in those........ I fear if I got into the trading game too hard I'd tank the team I was running, and maybe value sentimentality and asset management at the wrong times. I could do ok in a lieutenant role and I might do that for both the Jets and the Raptors, but I don't want to be a general.

---

-Question from @hhh81
Who is your favorite YouTuber?

Oh god I might as well just reel off random names from my subscription list because this changes fairly frequently. Right now its UrinatingTree, the best sports guy on YouTube, who you can count on for giving a straight arrow take, even if its not always fired in the right direction. His lieutenant ThatsGoodSports is also solid. Preston Jacobs is the go-to guy for Game of Thrones theories and book fan salt about the show. LegalEagle's a guy I've been following recently. Ashens has lost his touch a bit but still has good content. Binging with Babish is great but it keeps making me needlessly hungry...........

For vidya gaem content I'd check out Somecallmejohnny and the Super Gaming Bros., the now-defunct Super Best Friends Brawl channel, Chris Smoove, Werster (pokemon speedrunner who spent 20 hours beating Pokemon Stadium), and the golden standard of video game content creation nowadays: Videogamedunkey. Love that guy.

Nick Brain would probably like ashens and a few of those guys, along with top fighting game content creators like Maximillian Dood.

---

-Question from @hhh81
What YouTubers do you think are OVERRATED?

A few months ago I would've answered PewDiePie, but hes actually won my respect recently with how hes been ganged up on by the media over the T-Series thing, and also them blowing a couple video incidents way out of proportion to smear him as one of the Bad Guys ™. He seems to have gotten less annoying in his vids recently, so he'll get a sub and some mild plaudits from me in lieu of criticism. For the true overrated, it'd probably be whatever brand YouTube is trying to shove down our throats via the year-end Rewind these days. Gotta love how Google is so tone-deaf they could play bass for Kings of Leon.

I'm not sure how Big Dick Nick would answer this one.

---

-Question from @hhh81
What do you think are the top three TV shows that got 3 or fewer seasons? Why?

I don't really commit to TV shows that often, and when I do they aren't generally lost causes. Closest thing to the question criteria was Arrested Development, but I only saw about half a season of that. I loved it and will watch it again sometime, because theres some world-class performances in that cast, but I just sorta stopped and I'm not sure why. Theres a ton of anime that I follow that only got anywhere from 10 to 30 episodes and deserved more, but I really doubt anyone here would know of it.

Nick Brain probably has a few British shows he liked cancelled early due to levity. For every Coronation Street theres an English show with an excellent concept that dies after 16 episodes and no one in NA knows why.

---

-Question from @Ason94
What do we (Colorado) need to succeed?

6 capped forwards, 4 capped defensemen, a capped goalie, and decent depth behind the core. Hopefully by the end of next season we have the pieces in place for all those things, although losing me to the callup will probably hurt.....

---

-Question from @Ason94
Underrated players on Colorado?

I don't think anyone's really underrated? Jules Watt could kinda count but I think hes overachieving moreso than being underrated, and the rest of our roster is either underachieving or overmatched. Jules should be pretty good next year though.

---

-Question from @Ason94
Talk about Nicks season

Hoo boy....... Ok, so I appreciate the fact hes doing better obviously, but I had super duper high hopes for Toko and Knute noot to unlock some actual goal-scoring potential and it all kinda fizzled out a bit. I'm not sure if its due to the blueline or the goaltending or us just not having the magic super special line chemistry, but I feel like the line should be doing better than it was. Nick isn't doing terribly, but hes a clear cut below the elite.

And thats to say nothing of how the whole team has played. I know a lot of people are doing our best, and I could've done slightly better at helping pick out the rookies, but it really shows when we have 3rd or 4th line caliber guys in the J forced to draw 15-20 mins a night. This season's just been an ongoing disaster from the outset, and I don't think Nick is pleased.

---

Well, good questions so far! Lets hope they're not contaminated by some meme user coming up next!

Oh crap they are.

-Question from @Troy_McClure03
How mad are you going to be when we call you up next week?

Funny thing: I've taken so long getting to these that Colorado may be out of the playoffs in a week, and then I go up to the Jets, regardless of whether they make playoffs or not. I sorta knew y'all weren't calling me up midseason though after my long talk with Flappy before the season started.

---

How bad does Kimmy smell?

I will not tolerate slander of those who are respected users going to the great inactive kingdom in the sky. I do suspect Kimmy's avatar character smells like fun-size Snickers though, I think that'd be the primary diet component of a guy called Kim Jong Fun for some reason.

---

How many times in your life do you think you washed your hands?

Assuming an average of two hand washings a day, I'm 28 in a few months sooooo.......... 20000 times? Nick is probably 20 years old so he'd be about 7300 times.

---

Whats the highest number you have ever counted to?

One, as in the number of questions of yours I have left to go now that I've answered this one! Thank god!

---

Pancakes? Waffles? French toast? Order them from best to worst!

I used to go for pancakes but I haven't had good ones recently. Waffles meanwhile seems harder to screw up in terms of store bought kind. I've never had french toast in my life.

Nick Brain is a good cook in my headcanon, but I get the feeling he'd still prefer waffles too. I could see him making waffles early in the morning on a nice fancy hotel-style waffle iron owned by his billets, getting that nice continental breakfast going before a day of leading his team in practise.

---

And thus concludes the second part of the first episode of the Gambler's Ramble. I'm not sure if I'll do another one of these, but hey, at least I got paid something! So long suckers!

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

thats a lot of handwashing

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

How dare you treat my questions with such disrespect.

I demand my cut of this media. And it will be graded next week...

who is grading next week @FlappyGiraffe ?

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!