Create Account

The Gambler's Ramble: Southwest Division Draft Needs Analysis
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 12:28 PM by StadiumGambler.)

(Article word count is 2903 plus 2x Draft Media bonus)

---

And we're back for Part 2 of my SHL Entry Draft Analysis, as I tackle the wild, wild Southwest Division. Unfortunately its looking likely I won't get to the other two divisions before the draft started, because I thought I had several more days than I did to do this all up. I will attempt to get a semi-coherent Draft board going and do up a hilariously inaccurate mock draft to go with it. To that end I'll just race through the other 8 teams beforehand and do mild research on their strengths and weaknesses.

Remember to check out my Northwest Division draft article for the scale I use to rate all these players and a rough idea how this is all supposed to work: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=96452

REMINDER THAT IF ANY PLAYERS ON THIS LIST ARE RETIRED, TRADED, OR WALKING IN FREE AGENCY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

At any rate, we've got a division to break down featuring two contenders and two tank brigadiers, so lets get to it.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Orleans Specters - Specters

Season 47 Performance: The Specters instant juggernaut once again rolled into the playoff as a favourite to win the Challenge Cup following a strong season. Unfortunately the Cup quest was undone at the first hurdle as Texas got a big 7 game series win over the Specters, using puck luck and decent goaltending from Walter Hobbs. The Specters still have the pieces to contend for a little while, but time is running out.........

Season 47 Record: 33-14-3 (69 Points, nice), 2nd place in League, T-5th in Playoffs, Lost Western Conference Semifinals 3-4 to the Texas Renegades

S47 Draft Picks: NO 1st thru 5th (possible TEX 4th, conditional)

Centers
Demaricus Smyth S39 - [HIGH] Star
Oisin Fletcher S36 - [EXACT] Star (Will regress to [HIGH] Elite in a couple seasons)
Roman Augustus S36 - [EXACT] Star (Will regress to [HIGH] Elite soon)
Alex Andani S41 - [MED] Top 6 F ([HIGH] Top 9 F? [LOW] Elite?????)

Wingers
Piotr Czerkawski S41 - [HIGH] Star
Nicholas Williams S43 - [HIGH] Star
Joe Kurczewski S31 - [EXACT] Star (Will regress to [HIGH] Elite soon)
Xavier Paquette S41 - [HIGH] Top 9 F ([MED] Top 6 F???)
Soren Kierkegaard S42 - [HIGH] Bottom 6 F ([LOW] Top 9 F? [LOW] Top 6 F?????)
Krists Zommers S40 - [HIGH] SHL Extra F
Chuck Bernstein S36 - [EXACT] SHL Extra F

Forward Prospects
Jimmy Slothface S46 - [MED] Star
Michael Fox S46 - [MED] Star ([MED] Elite? [MED] Top 6 F??)

Defense
Sean Stevenson Jr. S43 - [HIGH] Star
Richard Physt S39 - [MED] Star ([HIGH] Elite?)
Clint Eastwood S36 - [EXACT] Top 4 D (Will regress to [EXACT] Top 6 D soon)
Karl Hefeweizen S36 - [EXACT] Top 4 D (Will regress to [EXACT] Top 6 D soon)
Adam Kaiser S31 - [EXACT] Top 6 D
Patrick Brumm Jr. S39 - [HIGH] 7th D

Defense Prospects
Charlie Serpe S47 - [MED] Star ([MED] Elite? [MED] Top 4 D?)
Osbert Whacker S46 - [LOW] Elite ([MED] Top 4 D? [HIGH] Top 6 D?)
Basil Magnicotta S46 - [LOW] Top 4 D ([HIGH] Top 6 D? [LOW] Elite?????)

Goalies
Aleister Cain S43 - [HIGH] Star
Julian O'Sullivan S39 - [HIGH] Fringe Starter

Draft Needs: For a big contender team, New Orleans sure has a surprisingly high amount of draft capital. After the loss to Texas though, I think its time for the organization to embrace a full all-in push for a Cup instead of the sorta half-in half-out strategy they've had since their aggressive expansion draft. I feel like there would be a sense of panic amongst the Specters fanbase right now, that the window they worked so aggressively to build is slowly shutting closed on them.......

If I'm the Specters GM, I make a move with this draft capital to a team like Minnesota for a piece like Ti-Guy Emond. Granted, I could see a few teams trying to starve the Specters of the necessary piece to complete the championship puzzle, but they gotta try to make a deal to improve the defense, as its calcifying rapidly.

At any rate, if the Specters do keep their draft capital, they can safely ignore goalie, as they have the luxury of a decent backup for a few more seasons behind the talented if enigmatic Aleister Cain. Winger and Defense are the long term concerns, and I'd lean Defense for the first round, as a future star D-man could get 3rd pairing minutes near the end of the window, while a forward would struggle to break into the lineup for a couple seasons longer, until all the veteran talent cycles out or is traded. Alternatively the Specters could just draft the best player available regardless of position and try to turn said player into a veteran from a non-contending team using the hokum magic of asset management.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Los Angeles Panthers - Panthers

Season 47 Performance: After a surprise playoff berth in Season 46, the Panthers cratered in Season 47, finishing 7th in the conference and 7 points out of a playoff spot. The team's spurt of playoff appearances looks to be a distant memory as the roster seems deserted of the veteran talent of yore, and a lengthy rebuild awaits in the midst of a 30+ season cup drought........

Season 47 Record: 20-25-5 (45 Points), 13th in League, Missed Playoffs

S47 Draft Picks: LA 1st, HAM/CHI/WKP 2nd, LA 3rd thru 5th

Centers
Max Mauldin S43 - [HIGH] Star
Borromini Canellini S46 - [HIGH] Star
Florence Clijsters S40 - [HIGH] Top 6 F
Kenji Yoshimura S45 - [LOW] Top 6 F ([MED] Top 9 F?)
Shouta Aizawa S44 - [MED] Top 9 F ([LOW] Top 6 F??)
Shaquille Derisraka S44 - [HIGH] Bottom 6 F ([LOW] Top 9 F? [LOW] Top 6 F??????)
Mason Brown S42 - [HIGH] SHL Extra F

Wingers
Philipp Winter S43 - [HIGH] Star
Hiro Fujikawa S45 - [MED] Elite ([LOW] Star? [MED] Top 6 F?)
Geoff Higgins S39 - [MED] Top 6 F ([HIGH] Top 9 F)
Lightning Jones S41 - [HIGH] Top 9 F

Forward Prospects
Theo Morgan S47 - [MED] Elite ([MED] Star?)
Max Rockatansky S46 - [LOW] Top 9 F ([HIGH] Bottom 6 F?)

Defense
Jon Toner S39 - [HIGH] Star
Maurice Picard S38 - [HIGH] Top 4 D
Willie Fisterbottom S44 - [LOW] Elite ([MED] Top 4 D? [HIGH] Top 6 D?)
Quick Mafs S38 - [HIGH] Top 6 D
Matthew Leetch S31 - [EXACT] 7th D
Nico Wallner S42 - [HIGH] SHL Extra D

Defense Prospects
Tony Ford S47 - [MED] Star

Goalies
Evgueni Marmeladov S36 - [EXACT] Fringe Starter
Eddy Ask Jr. S46 - {MED] Starter ([HIGH] Fringe Starter? [LOW] Elite? [LOW] Star??????)

Draft Needs: I don't know what the hell to make of this team. Couple of random depth pieces hanging around that could be useful on a contender, a brigade of long-shot prospects, a glut at Center, barely anything in the defense cupboard, and a goaltending situation that seems like 15 years of the Philadelphia Flyers rolled into one (although its probably fine by STHS standards).

LA is also notable for being the team that stepped up and put a million on black in the Borromini Canellini Asset Management Roulette game. We'll see how this one goes, but for now I'm inclined to believe LA will get a great return out of that pick, if either Cannellini stays or gets a contender tempted by him in a few years to provide a great return in a trade. The issue is, what sort of shape is LA going to be in to complement that return?

At least this season LA has 3 2nd round picks to work with (although none of them were their original property). LA will probably need all of them to pan out in the end along with the first rounder, but it remains to be seen if this draft class really has the depth to produce that. The primary need is Defence and thats where LA should probably spend at least two meaningful picks, maybe 3 if possible. A forward would be better to round it out, as LA may need to wait to see what actually becomes of Eddy Ask Jr before deciding their plans for goaltending in 5 years.

LA may want to consider augmenting their draft capital by trading Maurice Picard or Geoff Higgins, neither of whom are likely to be around for when the Panthers become a good team. Jon Toner would also be considered for the trade block if not for the fact he ended up with the LA Panthers GM job. Good luck with this one buddy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas Renegades - Renegades

Season 47 Performance: Texas made the playoffs with some breathing room after their unfortunate miss in Season 46, although they were relegated to the Wild Card and had to get a quick 5 game win over the San Francisco Pride to start. A Conference Semifinal tilt with New Orleans followed where Texas used the risky strategy of get puck luck going and hope the opposing goaltender underperforms, and it worked enough to win in a topsy-turvy 7 game series. Unfortunately, they were shockingly cast aside in 5 games by the Calgary Dragons and have to head back to the drawing board.

Season 47 Record: 26-23-1, 53 points, 7th in League, T-3rd in playoffs, Lost in Western Conference Finals to the Calgary Dragons 1-4

S47 Draft Picks: TEX 1st and 2nd (Conditional TBB 5th)

Centers
Louie Garrett S35 - [EXACT] Star (Will be [EXACT] Elite soon)
Daniel Karlsson S41 - [HIGH] Elite ([MED] Star?)
Logan Jensen S37 - [EXACT] Top 6 F (Will be [EXACT] Top 9 F in a season or two)
Mikey Pickles S43 - [HIGH] SHL Extra F

Wingers
Noah Konn S42 - [HIGH] Star
Andreas Kvalheim S45 - [MED] Star
Vladislav Konstantin S43 - [HIGH] Top 6 F ([MED] Elite? [LOW] Star???? [HIGH] Top 9 F????)
Iam Essellemm S40 - [HIGH] Top 6 F ([LOW] Elite?)
Nico Gross S38 - {HIGH] Top 9 F
Conklin Owen S30 - [EXACT] Top 9 F (Will be [EXACT] Bottom 6 F soon)
Baarnaby Picklesworth S43 - [HIGH] SHL Extra F

Forward Prospects
Tyler Tougard S46 - [MED] Elite ([LOW] Star? [MED] Top 6 F?)
Nicolas Fleming S45 - [LOW] Top 9 F ([HIGH] Bottom 6 F? [LOW] Top 6 F????)

Defense
The Dude S38 - [HIGH] Star
Liam O'Callaghan S39 - [HIGH] Star
Harvey Danger S42 - [HIGH] Elite ([MED] Star? [MED] Top 4 D?)
Chuck Crutchfield S44 - [LOW] Star ([MED] Elite? [HIGH] Top 4 D?)
Karno Gronkjear S39 - [HIGH] Top 6 D
Pierre Laroche-Durocher S43 - [HIGH] 7th D
I Shattenkirksbed S39 - [HIGH] SHL Extra D

Goalies
Walter Hobbs S40 - [HIGH] Star
Reece Artois S39 - [HIGH] SHL Extra G

Draft Needs: Texas is in an interesting spot to say the least. They have a clear contention window with elite pieces backed by good goaltending and even some promising youthful pieces in Noah Konn, Andreas Kvalheim, and Harvey Danger. Unfortunately, they also have a direct divisional rival in New Orleans who came into their division, got setup, and have a probably better window for contention right in their face. Unlike New Orleans, Texas is a bit more set defensively while the forward depth is of current concern, and that's at least an issue thats (probably) easier to fix in the open market.

To that end, Texas does have two picks to work with this year for trade bait, so while they could make a deal to trade those, its more likely they try for something like Joseph Lombardi or Terrance Nova in Free Agency. Given the amount of draft capital Texas gave up in the super-deep S46 draft (getting only Tyler Tougard in the end, although at least he looks like a fairly good get for when he was picked), missing out on this window could have far reaching repercussions, so Texas has to make it happen this year. This is amplified by the fact that Texas only has a 1st rounder next year to work with too, in a draft class where a lot of the best looking options so far are recreates who might just commit to their old teams again.

Assuming Texas doesn't trade picks or draft by best player available for asset management, the need long term is probably Defense (depending on future trades and how Chuck Crutchfield and Harvey Danger work out.), then Forward. Losing Alexander Andersson-Grande to early retirement is a blow, but Walter Hobbs should be a high-end starter for another 5 years at least, so they can wait and see for a goalie replacement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

San Francisco Pride - pride 

Season 47 Performance: The Chiefs and Panthers falling apart in the West ultimately opened the door for San Francisco to return to the playoffs after an 8 year absence. Unfortunately the brief flash of optimism flickered, as they got batted around and eliminated in 5 by the Texas Renegades in the Wild Card round. With Buffalo having got their monkey off their back in Season 46, San Fran's franchise is left in the sole position of "Perpetually cursed team that gets equal parts mocking and sympathy", having not won a cup dating back to their expansion debut as the Portland Admirals. For everyone's sake, this playoff berth needs to be the step forward for this battered lion to start taking bites out of its competition for once, lest the mocking and sympathy continue.......

Season 47 Record: 24-22-4 (52 Points), 8th in the League, t-9th in Playoffs, Eliminated in the Wild Card Round by the Texas Renegades 1-4

S47 Draft Picks: MAN 1st, SFP 1st thru 5th

Centers
Goku Muerto S43 - [MED] Star ([HIGH] Elite?)
Stever Moyer S43 - [MED] Elite ([HIGH] Top 6 F? [LOW] Star???)
Ty Hoover S45 - [LOW] Star ([MED] Elite? [MED] Top 6 F???)
Leshaun King S43 - [HIGH] Top 9 F ([LOW] Top 6 F? [LOW] Elite????)

Wingers
Jeff Brogen S43 - [MED] Star ([HIGH] Elite?)
Vince Reaper S43 - [MED] Star ([HIGH] Elite? [HIGH] Top 6 F????)
Richard Metcalf Jr. S43 - [MED] Elite ([HIGH] Top 6 F? [LOW] Star???)
Dionyz Vyskoc S36 - [EXACT] Top 6 F (Will be [EXACT] Top 9 F soon)
Dakota Reid S36 - [EXACT] Top 6 F (Will be [EXACT] Top 9 F soon)
Kyler Gill S38 - [EXACT] Bottom 6 F
Howie Dewitt S38 - [EXACT] Bottom 6 F
Cleo Green S29 - [EXACT] Elaborate Troll F

Forward Prospects
Knute Knurtsson S46 - [MED] Star
Filip Zadina S47 - [MED] Star
Nathan Explosion S46 - [LOW] Star ([MED] Elite?)
Vadim Malichov S47 - [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)
Spencer MacLean S47 - [LOW] Elite ([LOW] Top 6 F? [MED] Top 9 F?)
Yoshimitsu McCloud S46 - [LOW] Top 9 F ([HIGH] Bottom 6 F? [LOW] Top 6 F????)
Jaguar Johnson S47 - [LOW] Top 9 F ([HIGH] Bottom 6 F? [LOW] Top 6 F????)
Andy Kerr S45 - [HIGH] Bottom 6 F

Defense
SHOWSTOPPER JACK TANNER~! - S37 - [EXACT] Star
Isak Odegard S36 - [EXACT] Star (will be [EXACT] Elite in a couple seasons)
Charlie Schieck S42 - [HIGH] Star
Ray Bork S44 - [HIGH] Star
Leopold Lockhart S45 - [HIGH] Star
Dominic Montgomery S45 - [HIGH] Star
Fedor Shirobokov S35 - [EXACT] Top 4 D (Will be [EXACT] Top 6 D soon)

Goalies
Chris Partridge S39 - [HIGH] Star
Patrice Nadeau S46 - [MED] Elite ([LOW] Star? [MED] Starter???)
Dustin Evans S38 - [EXACT] SHL Extra G

Draft Needs: Well I think we can safely cross Defense off the list holy shit. Of course if a franchise one is somehow available with no forwards comparable, then yeah take it, but otherwise they'll be fine even if Odegard and Tanner rapidly calcify. San Fran would need something like two of three busts to happen in the future core to have to worry about the blueline, and surely such a cursed franchise won't have that happen to them, right?

But yeah, this defense is just plain sick, and might be the best in the league even setting aside potential and just looking at current ability. Jack Tanner is a stud, he has a top pairing guy to complement him, and the depth behind is already Top 4/Top 6 caliber.

The forwards of course are less good. The forward core is a motley crew of stars on the way up who arent ready to be top dogs just yet, longshot prospects, and miscellaneous second-tier veteran depth. The team really could use a Joseph Lombardi or a Terrance Nova in FA if the opportunity pops up to anchor things......

The obvious need is Forward, but I do think the team has to tread carefully here with how they play this draft. I feel like if everyone on the team acheives their potential, the Pride are so well setup that even with minimum contracts all around they could be headed for cap trouble (adding to that is the fact they have Dakota Reid on an albatross of a contract.). If San Fran isn't in a position to sell off the future in exchange for an elite forward and starting the big contendership push, I feel they should consider trading extra picks to move up in the draft, thus avoiding having to waste cap tendering 3-4 people? Or maybe trade those picks for future picks and kick the can down the road to delay the decisions?

Goaltending might be something else to keep an eye on in case Nadeau flutters a bit, as the quality Chris Partridge will need his replacement ready in a few seasons.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 12:32 PM by StadiumGambler.)

Ok, finally did up the Pride to finish this article off.

Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to get to the semi-competent SHL mock i promised, so I'll do a post-draft breakdown of every pick in the draft and analyze it all. I'll be working on team boards through this season and then I might repeat this article but actually get to all 4 divisions next season........ Although with S50 rumoured to be the Reddit draft I'm not sure how much I can do, as hhh81 may legally own my soul during that time.

Peace~!

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332