Create Account

The S48 SHL Draft: TPE Examination
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 08:43 PM by Trautner.)

Double media pay!!!

Thanks to @Blastmeaway again for his ever valuable Player Analyze spreadsheet that was extremely useful in writing this article regarding the TPE counts of Season 48 SHL draftees. In this article, I will take a look at the recent Season 48 draft from a TPE standpoint and look to identify the winners and losers of the draft. Moreover, I will take a look at some of the standouts from the draft from a value perspective, similar to my last article on the Season 46 draft class. Without further ado, let's jump into it!

Round 1:

1Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Kaspars Claude, 293 TPE
2Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Gabriel Johnson, 263 TPE
3Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - FORFEIT
4Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Oliver Cleary, 301 TPE
5Jets Winnipeg Jets - Calogero Crudelli, 288 TPE
6Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Piotr Horvat, 263 TPE
7pride San Francisco Pride (via Manhattan Rage) - Timmo Kyllonen, 301 TPE
8Specters New Orleans Specters (via San Francisco Pride) - Lyle Odelein III, 276 TPE
9syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Nick Connolly, 304 TPE
10Stars Toronto North Stars - Mika Kandinsky, 277 TPE
11Stampede Buffalo Stampede (via Edmonton Blizzard) - Satoshi Zizagooney, 325 TPE
12pride San Francisco Pride (via New Orleans Specters) - Bobby Bobcalf, 230 TPE
13Renegades Texas Renegades - Padraig Sarantez, 286 TPE
14Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Buffalo Stampede) - Barrett Blackwood, 256 TPE
15Dragons Calgary Dragons - Atlas Rush, 329 TPE
16Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Kasperi Braulin, 269 TPE

Round 1 Total TPE: 4261 TPE

[/b]Definitely an interesting first round, with the top TPE earner Atlas Rush falling all the way down to #15 in the draft despite his prodigious TPE earning thus far in his short career. Do scouts think his max potential is limited even though he seems to be a leader at his age in skating ability and natural talent? It's certainly possible, and we'll know a couple seasons down the road if Calgary got a truly generational talent in this league all the way at the bottom of the first round. Satoshi Zizagooney also fell to #11 overall even though he is the 2nd highest earner in his class. We'll see the 3rd highest earner in this class didn't even get selected in the first round, a real stunning fall on draft day quite akin to my own player, Michael Scarn, who fell on draft day back in Season 46 to Winnipeg.

It seems like more and more GMs in the SHL are subscribing less to looking purely at TPE, but instead at other intangibles like off the ice behavior and league interaction. In a league where it seems "normal" or rather, "expected" for star players to take the minimum salary due to the constrained salary cap, I think it's interesting that we're seeing this manifest already in the Entry Draft.

Round 2:

17Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Emiko Spector, 229 TPE
18Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (via Hamilton Steelhawks) - Joe Kerr, 293 TPE
19Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - Noah Tedla, 274 TPE
20Specters New Orleans Specters (via Tampa Bay Barracuda, via Los Angeles Panthers) - Zarley Zalapski, 316 TPE
21Platoon West Kendall Platoon (via Chicago Syndicate, via Winnipeg Jets) - Josef Novotny, 229 TPE
22Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Ravyn Tedisko, 263 TPE
23Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (via Manhattan Rage) -  Jon Forty-One, 243 TPE
24pride San Francisco Pride - Jonas Larsen, 223 TPE
25Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (via Chicago Syndicate) - Simon LeBlanc, 240 TPE
26Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Toronto North Stars) - Raphael d'Alcott, 238 TPE
27Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Biz Nasty, 281 TPE
28Specters New Orleans Specters - Darnell Johnson, 238 TPE
29Renegades Texas Renegades - Patrick Niederreiter, 228 TPE
30Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (via Buffalo Stampede) - Jaako Jarvinen, 246 TPE
31Dragons Calgary Dragons - Alexander Thorstrom, 263 TPE
32Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (via West Kendall Platoon) - Stavros Halkias, 221 TPE

Round 2 Total TPE: 4025 TPE

As I had mentioned earlier, the #3 earner in the Season 48 draft class fell into the 2nd round. Zarley Zalapski fell into the New Orleans Specters' lap at #20 overall although he is one of just 6 players in the class to have cracked the 300 TPE barrier early on in their SMJHL careers. I'll dive more into the Specters later, as it seems like their drafting strategy diverged a little from what I had mentioned earlier about the mentality regarding TPE.

The second round in the Season 48 draft class was nevertheless extremely impressive. The second round has just over 200 TPE less than that of the first round, the equivalent to roughly the #36 player in terms of TPE in the class. Like the Season 46 draft class that I covered earlier, the depth and quality of SHL draft classes is evident within the first two rounds. I find this rather interesting, as I've seen in a couple other sim leagues that the quality of prospects tends to die down in cliffs and valleys. In the SHL, there seems to be a strong amount of maximum earning TPE actives possibly due to the ease of the league as far as Point Task opportunities go forwards, and it's also a big demonstration of the SHL recruitment team's success.

Round 3:

33Renegades Texas Renegades (via Tampa Bay Barracuda) - Haley Knight, 239 TPE
34Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - PASS
35Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - Gordon Bombay, 249 TPE
36Panthers Los Angeles Panthers -  Heikki Jaakola, 231 TPE
37Jets Winnipeg Jets - Tah Puhcheese, 229 TPE
38Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Emeka Valentine-Okoli, 206 TPE
39Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (via Manhattan Rage) - PASS
40pride San Francisco Pride - Richard Rocket, 192 TPE
41Platoon West Kendall Platoon (via Chicago Syndicate) - Izem Abioye, 191 TPE
42Stars Toronto North Stars - PASS
43Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - PASS
44Specters New Orleans Specters - Travis Bitties, 278 TPE
45Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (via Texas Renegades) - Colt Beckett, 195 TPE
46Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (via Buffalo Stampede) - Chuck Goody III, 185 TPE
47Dragons Calgary Dragons - PASS
48syndicate Chicago Syndicate (via West Kendall Platoon) - Freddie Sweeney, 214 TPE

Round 3 Total TPE: 2409 TPE

The cliff sort of came into play here, as the third round's total TPE took an absolute dive. Several teams passed in this round, including the Hamilton Steelhawks incredibly with the #34 overall pick with a large number of TPE earning players left in the player pool. I'm not sure about the circumstances with the GMs there or anything, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. But, considering the salary cap crunch in this league, doesn't it incentivize teams like the Steelhawks to pass on players rather than have to sign them to rookie contracts that add to their salary cap? This doesn't seem like a model for success as you always want players to get drafted and join teams, and I'm disappointed to see plenty of teams pass with a solid amount of players left available who have earned TPE and may still come back.

The New Orleans Specters managed to snag Travis Bitties with the #44 overall pick, late in the third round. Bitties ranks as the #12 prospect in the class as far as TPE goes, but yet fell far and three teams passed on their picks rather than sign Bitties. Similar to the Specters pick of Zarley Zalapski in the second round, they targeted high TPE earners and we'll see if their bet pays off. I'm not sure if Bitties has some concerns off the ice that could have led to his draft day tumble, or if it's the salary cap thing as I've discussed. Nevertheless, I would think the Minnesota Chiefs were slightly unfortunate to see Bitties get picked even after several teams passed, as they surely need some prospect depth in wake of their recent franchise destroying punishment.

Round 4:

49Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - PASS
50Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - PASS
51Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - PASS
52Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Los Angeles Panthers) - Duke Duckworth, 215 TPE
53Jets Winnipeg Jets -Theo Haas, 205 TPE
54Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - PASS
55Rage Manhattan Rage - PASS
56pride San Francisco Pride - PASS
57Stampede Buffalo Stampede (via Chicago Syndicate) - PASS
58Stars Toronto North Stars - PASS
59Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - PASS
60Specters Los Angeles Specters - PASS
61Renegades Texas Renegades - Cuthbert Coppercorn, 192 TPE
62Stampede Buffalo Stampede - PASS
63Dragons Calgary Dragons -  PASS
64Platoon West Kendall Platoon -  PASS

Round 4 Total TPE: 612 TPE

A lot of more passing in this round, which is quite disappointing again as I've said. I'm surprised Duckworth has come as largely a throwaway pick for the New England Wolf Pack, even though he has cracked 200 TPE and clearly has shown some ability to gain TPE and be active on the site. Same goes for Coppercorn, selected by the Renegades after 11 teams would rather pass than select the young prospect.

Round 5:

65Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - PASS
66Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - PASS
67Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - PASS
68Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - PASS
69Jets Winnipeg Jets - PASS
70Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - PASS
71Rage Manhattan Rage - PASS
72pride San Francisco Pride - PASS
73syndicate Chicago Syndicate - PASS
74Stars Toronto North Stars - PASS
75Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - PASS
76Specters New Orleans Specters - PASS
77Renegades Texas Renegades - PASS
78Stampede Buffalo Stampede - PASS
79Dragons Calgary Dragons -  PASS
80Platoon West Kendall Platoon - PASS

Round 5 Total TPE: 0 TPE

Yeah I could not resist adding this final round, as every single team passed rather than to select the remaining players. That leaves 16 players who go undrafted in the Season 48 SHL Entry Draft, who total 2722 TPE. We shall see if any of these disrespected prospects overcome the odds to prove all of these General Managers wrong!

Notable Best Value Picks

44Specters New Orleans Specters - Travis Bitties, 278 TPE, TPE Rank: 12, CHANGE: +32
20Specters New Orleans Specters (via Tampa Bay Barracuda, via Los Angeles Panthers) - Zarley Zalapski, 316 TPE, TPE Rank: 3, CHANGE: +17
27Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Biz Nasty, 281 TPE, TPE Rank: 11, CHANGE: +16
52Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (via Los Angeles Panthers) - Duke Duckworth, 215 TPE, TPE Rank: 37, CHANGE: +15
61Renegades Texas Renegades - Cuthbert Coppercorn, 192 TPE, TPE Rank: 46, CHANGE: +15
15Dragons Calgary Dragons - Atlas Rush, 329 TPE, TPE Rank: 1, CHANGE: +14
31Dragons Calgary Dragons - Alexander Thorstrom, 263 TPE, TPE Rank: 18, CHANGE: +13
35Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - Gordon Bombay, 249 TPE, TPE Rank: 22, CHANGE: +13

The New Orleans Specters look to be the big winners in terms of TPE value in this draft, taking some pretty solid earning talent at later picks. The Calgary Dragons also got some pretty impressive picks, picking up the top TPE earner Atlas Rush along with Alexander Thorstrom late in the 2nd round as their top two picks. Certainly impressive for the team coming off a trip to the Challenge Cup Finals.

Notable Poor Value Picks

12pride San Francisco Pride (via New Orleans Specters) - Bobby Bobcalf, 230 TPE, TPE Rank: 30, CHANGE: -18
2Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Gabriel Johnson, 263 TPE, TPE Rank: 17, CHANGE: -15
17Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Emiko Spector, 229 TPE, TPE Rank: 31, CHANGE: -14
6Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Piotr Horvat, 263 TPE, TPE Rank: 19, CHANGE: -13
21Platoon West Kendall Platoon (via Chicago Syndicate, via Winnipeg Jets) - Josef Novotny, 229 TPE, TPE Rank: 33, CHANGE: -12
24pride San Francisco Pride - Jonas Larsen, 223 TPE, TPE Rank: 35, CHANGE: -11
1Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Kaspars Claude, 293 TPE, TPE Rank: 8, CHANGE: -7
14Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (via Buffalo Stampede) - Barrett Blackwood, 256 TPE, TPE Rank: 21, CHANGE: -7

A bit of more randomness here and less big changes, as this draft class is still obviously incredibly young and there is time for each and every prospect to significantly change their TPE / pick change. It can be tough for the players at the very top of the draft class to prove themselves as far as TPE goes, and we see a lot of first rounders and second rounders in this list, including 3 of the top 6 picks. But again, plenty of time for all these players to get their TPE up, pass their peers, and contribute to the league!

TPE isn't everything but I hope this was a fun exercise to look at our most recent class as we welcome them to the big show!

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

Awesome Break Down!!!

nice work, this is cool!

(also just an FYI: these TPE figures are mid-updating, so some players have their 30+ updates counted and some do not, will look pretty different post-weekend!)

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Great read! keep up the good work!

S52 "A" Alternate Captain of the Calgary Dragons
"GM" - Former Prince George Firebirds and Regina Force General Manager
"C" - Former Captain of the Halifax Raiders
S48 Brandon Holmes Trophy Recipient - Top Defensive Forward

FirebirdsScarecrowsraiders - TimberGrizzliesArmadaCanadaDragonsBlizzardStars - PlatoonSpecters
Davos Otasrob Player Page
Davos Otasrob Player Updates
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2019, 07:50 PM by PenKnight.)

06-08-2019, 07:37 PMhotdog Wrote: nice work, this is cool!

(also just an FYI: these TPE figures are mid-updating, so some players have their 30+ updates counted and some do not, will look pretty different post-weekend!)

Very True and it will take some of these players a few weeks to be able to purchase equipment.
Due to lack of Funds.
The race is on! Let us see where everyone is at the end of season 48!

You're a poor value pick >:(

[Image: tjFQotX.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]