Create Account

SMJHL Rookie Update - Top 5 Rookie Forwards and Defenders
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2019, 08:21 AM by diacope.)

SMJHL Rookie Update - Top 5 Rookie Forwards and Defenders
25 games complete, 25 games left to compete

The season is already halfway over and draft day feels like it was yesterday, we have players that are living up to expectations, some already rank top on their team and others are making noise around the league. Below is a ranked list of the top rookie forwards and defenders that have hit the ice for their first time and have scored the most points

Top 5 Forwards

Militia
1. Right Wing Sniper - Hugh Jazz - TPE:229
Drafted in the 2nd round, 19th overall - GP:25 G:9 A:14 P:23 +/-:+4

Hugh was the teams 3rd player picked early in the draft after Conor Tanner and Gotta Love Honors Bio. Hugh is surprising the league with his outstanding play halfway through the season, he leads the rookies in points and assists and his team in points, tied for the 3rd best right wing this season. If Jazz continues to keep up his great play he has potential to be the rookie of the year.

raiders
2. Right Wing Offensive Forward - Cody - TPE:229
Drafted in the 1st round, 3rd overall - GP:25 G:11 A:9 P:20 +/-:-10

Cody is performing like a top pick and is already a fan favorite, he has scored 11 goals and his presence is vital for the Raiders goal production, he is leading the way with teammate Kubinec who also has 11 goals for most goals on Halifax. Cody leads all rookies in goals, has an elusive shot and makes smart passes, making him a threat every time he hits the ice.

Falcons
3. Left Wing Sniper - Jagger Fouquette - TPE:225
Drafted in the 1st round, 4th overall - GP:25 G:9 A:7 P:16 +/-:-3

Fouquette is proving a lot of people wrong with his small frame and putting together a pretty solid all-around game early in his career. Jagger was a gamble for most teams and shocked many when he was selected so early but he is proving the doubters wrong game after game, holding his own with the veterans and earned trust with his coach getting a point position on the 2nd power play unit.

Raptors
4. Center Sniper - Bo Cane - TPE:235
Drafted in the 2nd round, 12th overall (via Halifax) - GP:25 G:5 A:7 P:12 +/-:+7

Bo is the only center on our list but has been playing on the wing all season, Cane went from the 2nd round to the 2nd line and has acquired the most TPE out of all rookies on our list. The points haven't been coming in for him like he'd hope but he has the tools and gets a lot of chances, I'm sure during the second half of the season we will see Cane jump up the list.

Knights
5. Right Wing Sniper Raquel Castillo Gutierrez - TPE:216
Drafted in the 3rd round, 22 overall (via Halifax) - GP:25 G:7 A:4 P:11 +/-:-2

Castillo Gutierrez is playing great for a middle round pick and getting noticed when he didn't get that many mentions at the draft, scoring and assisting on timely goals with deadly accuracy. Raquel is 3rd in the league for shooting percentage and plays an important role on the power play playing half the time because of his clutch shot.

Top 5 Defenders

Lions
1. Two-Way Defenseman - Delver Fudgeson - TPE:217
Drafted in the 2nd round, 13th overall (via Detroit) - GP:25 G:4 A:10 P:14 +/-:-3

Delver is playing better than any other defender in his draft class.. and boy is he a workhorse, playing 1st line minutes and leading all rookie defense in points, 4 points away from being the 10th best defense man in the SMJHL. If Fudgeson continues to train and work on his shooting he could be an important piece for Lethbridge come playoff time.

Militia
2. Offensive Defenseman - Gavin Hughes - TPE:212
Drafted in the 3rd round, 29th overall - GP:25 G:1 A:9 P:10 +/-:+3

Hughes offensive play has helped propel his team to 2nd place in the SMJHL and is part of one of the deadliest defensive lineups, with tons of talent around him and room to grow. Scouts have no doubt Hughes can be an elite passer down the road and scouts think he dropped too far down the draft rankings, making him a steal at the S48 draft for Montreal.

Falcons
3. Offensive Defenseman - Noah Andros - TPE:221
Drafted in the 1st round, 1st overall (via Lethbridge) - GP:25 G:2 A:6 P:9 +/-:+8

Noah had a lot of hype around his name on draft day and has a lot of potential to live up to, in 25 games he has been a positive player and has been consistent doing so, despite the lack of points so far, Andros has been steadily working on his shot and after few more adjustments he could easily get out of his slump and get a chance to take important shots, they always say slow and steady wins the race and by the end of the season Andros could finish 1st among defenders with a polished game for the post season.

Scarecrows
4. Defensive Defenseman - Noah Brusky - TPE:225
Drafted in the 1st round, 8th overall  - GP:25 G:1 A:7 P:8 +/-:-7

Brusky fit in perfect with the Scarecrows tough defensive core and that's probably why they chose him. Noah has brought much needed momentum with some big hits in close games, has shown consistent defensive ability and can keep up with the more experienced players.

Raptors
5. Two-Way Defenseman - Heat Siecker - TPE:215
Drafted in the 2nd round, 11th overall - GP:25 G:1 A:5 P:6 +/-:0

Heat hasn't been the most consistent rookie but he has had some highlight plays for Colorado and so far has been a solid draft pick. Siecker is a player every team could use because of his versatility and shot blocking ability, blocking a shot a game playing on the 3rd line. Heat probably wont lead the league in points but he will be a very useful player if the Raptors want to make a cup run.

1129 words, 1st article Cool

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon

Good article! You should mention that it's your first one, you'll get the 2x payout

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2019, 07:55 AM by diacope.)

Appreciate the heads up, edited my post. Thanks for checking it out

Good first article!

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

great first article, man! way to go! hopefully the first of many more to come

[Image: ontanis.gif]

[Image: 6by0kBi.png] [Image: YztPk3T.png]
thanks to @Wasty, @Bruins10, @Carpy48 and @iRockstar for the sigs!

I love your first article buddy, you nailed it! Smile

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

Great first article. Cheers

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2019, 09:38 AM by PenKnight.)

Oh sure you won't let me play on the Paladins...
You don't want to join me in Montreal...
At Least we will always have Russia!!

Nice Job... Keep up the good work... Mo' Media = Mo' Money!!

In this league... Money = TPE

How to make Mo Money, Without Losing Yo MONEY!!!

Awesome first article man! looking forward to some more

Falcons Canada

Whalers Whalers Whalers

[Image: dmills3.gif]
[Image: 6by0kBi.png] || [Image: ohmEd0h.png]

CanadaWhalersSteelhawks

06-29-2019, 07:24 AMdiacope Wrote: Knights

Castillo Gutierrez is playing great for a middle round pick and getting noticed when he didn't get that many mentions at the draft, scoring and assisting on timely goals with deadly accuracy. Raquel is 3rd in the league for shooting percentage and plays an important role on the power play playing half the time because of his clutch shot.

*she

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2019, 05:07 PM by diacope.)

07-01-2019, 02:06 PMJiggly_333 Wrote:
06-29-2019, 07:24 AMdiacope Wrote: Knights

*she

And *her

My bad, thanks for letting me know. Will remember in the future!

Nice article! Fudgeson Towel Lions

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers