Create Account

S48 PT #3 - Internal Affairs
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019, 04:13 PM by jRuutu.)

Task Choice: 2: A players union would be helpful as the SHL is in a period of tough negotiations for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The goal is to sign a new deal before it starts affecting league events and games. If you are asked to sit in at the negotiating table, what would you ask for the players to receive, and or what would you ask for our members on the site? (your choice)... Describe why your demands are essential to the goodwill between players and owners and or site members and HO/Site admins.. and the League's need for continued growth.

First thing I would ask is some kind of retirement fund, as we all know - life of an hockey player does not end when he or she hangs up the skates, we need help from the league to make sure every player is able to get the help they need to start new chapters in their lives. It could be anything really from physical and mental health to help in finding a new job or new career etc - whatever it is, the players could ask for help from the retirement fund.

Second one is making the league management be closer to the players by having weekly meetings with the players, every week few players are called into a meeting where hot topics are discussed among the league leadership and the players.

Third and final one is the most important one, longer suspension for dangerous plays. There is no need to have over the top physical play in todays game, whatever it is, if players go over the line - they need to be punished hard and even thrown out of the league, nobody wants to see serious injuries and it would help the top players play for longer and in general help skill to flourish.

When I first joined the league last season, I had no idea what I was doing (not that I do now!).  I had created my player and just went with the flow, trying to figure out what I should actually be doing.  It wasn’t until I was drafted by the St. Louis Scarecrows and met my follow Crows, and specifically my captains, they were Michael Fox @FuzzSHL , Charlie Serpe@Serpe x 13 and Gordie Boomhover@gordieboom.  All three of these guys helped me feel welcomed into the league and were great teammates for a first timer like me.  They were always looking out for me and my fellow rookies, they were around to answer any questions we had.  If these guys helped out the rest of the players in the league half as much as they helped me last season, we’d all be lucky to have them as ambassadors for the new players association. If I had to choose three people to be ambassadors for all of the SHL, from my short experience in the SHL, these three would be great candidates!

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

PBE

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019, 07:46 PM by JT3.)

Task Choice: 1 - A campaign for an SHL players association is in the works as some in the league believe that the needs of the collective players are not being met. Choose '3' users from the site (not GM's or HO members) who would be good ambassadors for the new players association and explain why you chose them? (*tag them*)

Bojo - Although I don't know him personally, his reputation around the site is top tier. He is a long time member and very well respected, so I think that he would bring a ton of experience and knowledge to a proposed SHLPA. @.bojo

Karey - Very friendly guy and seems like a people person. I've seen him go to bat for his Buffalo teammates many a time so I think he would be great for the PA, someone who I would be happy to have represent me. @karey

Gordieboom - Wanted to have a newer member in here as well with the hope that they would bring some fresh and new ideas to the table and see things from a newer players perspective. I've never spoken to Gordie but he has written some great articles and seems to have a strong grasp on the workings of the league, on top of being a seemingly great guy to boot. @gordieboom

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

Code:
Task Choice: 1 - A campaign for an SHL players association is in the works as some in the league believe that the needs of the collective players are not being met. Choose '3' users from the site (not GM's or HO members) who would be good ambassadors for the new players association and explain why you chose them? (*tag them*)

@Noble is my first choice for an ambassador. He has tons of experience negotiating contracts as he's had many opportunities to do so. An older member he's had multiple times to come back and see how the league dynamics have changed. That's why he's a good ambassador for the new players association.

@Toivo is my next choice. He's a former GM and knows a thing or two about negotiating. He also managed to negotiate himself a massive contract at one point instead of taking a small deal. He's not afraid to speak out about what he feels is right and is a good choice for an ambassador for the new players association.

@karey is my last choice. He's always a positive person around the boards and I don't think I've seen anything negative about him ever. He's the kind of guy everyone would be happy with representing them in a new players association for the Simulation Hockey League.

158 words

[Image: Jepox.gif]

Task One
With the SHLPA nearing its creation, many names have been thrown out there as to who would be heading it for the players. However, there should already be a very short list of possible names, as not every player is known for being "for the players" as they are "for themselves."

The first name on my list is, in my mind, an obvious one: @Blastmeaway. Blast has been, since I've come into the league, someone who has done a lot of work behind the scenes to help make everyone else's life easier. 

The next name on my list is @ArGarBarGar. Another man of the people, ArGar devotes some of his offseason time to making a "Top 100" list. He is a long-standing veteran of this league, and has seen the ups and downs of both head-office and players over time. He would know what would be in the best interest of everyone when it comes to negotiations with the league.

The next and final name on my shortlist would be @.bojo. Bojo has prior experience with the Head Office and has put together a plethora of resources for both players and league staff to utilize over the course of his time with the league.

The trio of players listed above, in my mind, would be the perfect fit to negotiate a deal that would be fair to everyone involved.

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

I would ask for the player to receive an extra 10% bump in pay, because right now the owners are bleeding the players dry with the contracts, making it very hard for some of the players to be able to afford training. Yes, we may see less media than we normally do, but at the same time a lot of the media that goes on is just filler for players to get their money's worth, and nobody really cares, nor does that media improve the site in any meaningful way. If we want to get progress the players have to fight for their pay and keep the activity level going that we have been seeing lately. Sure it seems like it is doing great now, but I do not believe that it is sustainable and that we are going to be seeing a major downturn in activity if the salaries continue to stagnate as they have lately. Plus with the competition it is harder and harder for the mid-tier players to compete like they used to.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

1. @gorlab - This one is easy but first we will need the head office to unban the man. Gorlab is easily a champion of the people, and always worked hard for the working man. Bringing gorlab back and making him a voice of the players would give the old school players a voice that they desperately need for a long time.

2. @O4L - Ofer is another champion of the people and has been around long enough to know exactly what needs to be done for who. Shes been a part of the head office himself, she knows many people and i dont know anyone who has a bad word to say about the young lady.

3. @Mike Izzy - If we have 2 old veterans we need one newer member. I dont think anyone newer than izzy would be warrented this spot and izzy has done a great job in everything hes done. I would say more but im already over the word count so

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

Code:

In an effort to establish a players association in the SHL, I believe @aaronwilson, @Otrebor13, and @ArGarBarGar would be the best representatives. I chose aaronwilson because ever since joining the league, he's put in so much work to give other players a look into how their player performs, which adds an interest and intrigue to the league. He's also a huge part of the locker room in Vancouver helping the new players adjust and how they should update their player to give them the best chance for success into the SHL. I picked Otrebor because he is a long-standing veteran of the league, and knows so much about how a player should be treated in this league, as well as being an incredibly friendly guy that can get along with anybody. I picked ArGar because of how long he has continuously put work into media and the prospects game to allow newer players a look into how sims work before jumping into the SMJHL.

[Image: dmills3.gif]
[Image: 6by0kBi.png] || [Image: ohmEd0h.png]

CanadaWhalersSteelhawks

Task Choice 2.

The first and important thing that I would do is increase the cap so that teams would have more money to spend on players. Currently, if you have an active team, the likelihood is that the team is made up of players taking the minimum and often using the teams two home grown discounts for the cap. The Cap currently does not allow teams to use Free Agency to their advantage and often sees players joining teams solely based on personnel rather than money. If teams had the ability to flex their cap room, the teams would not change that much, instead, would give the players more money to spend and allow players who need extra cash help, to not feel guilty getting a bigger contract.

Another change I would make to the CBA is to eliminate STHS from existence and we would just adjust the sim engine of this league, it would be a massive change, but the unpredictability of the sim while also rendering many builds trash, we see replicants of the same team and build types over and over again.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2019, 08:24 AM by Tomasnz.)

Topic 1

@Mike Izzy  - this guy has done it all and especially when it comes to getting the players involved and taking part. Look at this time on the awards committee as well as his time as the shl PT head. He has constantly tried to understand and then reflect what players want from the site and what they are trying to achieve. He brings a great level of energy to everything he does on the site and would be a great player ambassador.

@Jenny - former junior GM, likely HOF defender, rising star forward, and current PT director for the juniors, again a person who has done it all and has demonstrated a focus on player engagement and prioritising player fun. Helps that she is also a member of the record s46 draft class so she basically knows everyone too.

@39alaska39  - unlike the previous two a relative new comer to the site, but has already been a juniors GM. Great lockerroom presence,knows his Pokémon, and also basically wrote an essay on this PT topic. If this doesn't qualify him what else could.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2019, 09:06 AM by PenKnight.)

Code:
Task Choice: 1 - A campaign for an SHL players association is in the works as some in the league believe that the needs of the
collective players are not being met. Choose '3' users from the site (not GM's or HO members) who would be good ambassadors for
the new players association and explain why you chose them? (*tag them*)
(233 Word Count)

I broke the rules listing an HO Member but I think I gave a clear reason why he is allowed to be HO and SHLPA.

1. @StamkosFan This member doesn't have enough jobs or belong to enough sim leagues. Not only has this member just created a brand new league, called the CHL, but Stammer continues to do all Point Tasks in every league, complete all jobs and continue to update every player they have in every league they are in. Obviously they are bored and need more fun or work to keep them busy so Stammer is the number one choice for my vote for an SHLPA!

2. @Slappydoodle The guy convinced his best friend from the age of 12 that "Big" is relative to their podcast show and his buddies player name! Anyone who can spin something like that to their long time pal has my vote for the SHLPA. This member will not only fight for the players but will convince or con HO into anything. It does not matter that this member is a current HO Member because yet again he uses his tactics and charm to convince HO they have no worry of a conflict of interest.

3. @Bonk Listen... you can't separate Bonk from Slappydoodle. Even though I can't wait to hear the new "Bonk Show" these two are like peas in a pod. To separate them is just asking for trouble. This guy could be considered the brains of the duos operation so I need them working together for the players.

I think that has been stated before but I completely agree with it. If there as to be a new players CBA the issue I would fight for is the contract pay scale and how it effects middle of the road players. For example, as a player who really is only kept alive by contract money, I do not have a lot of money for training (as seen by this weeks' update) Although I have been around a long time and should have accumulated a large bank, being on your third player depletes that. What this effects directly are the semi active players or players who are experiencing some burn out and who do not want to write articles. Although this league is not a solely based PT league, which I am very grateful for. I do believe that at times money can be tight. Also with the advent of leagues like the PBE which is much more akin to the MLB CBA where players have more money and see a lot more bank, things are better for them. I believe a curve that helps out the middle more/ earlier with an increase in salary cap could help middle of the road players who are struggling to make ends meet like my own player.

TL:DR - change the contract payscale to allow more money for the guys in the middle who may be semi active and could reinvigorate them to come back and help with overall site retention

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

The salary structure in the SHL is completely broken. Star players are often making similar or less money than fourth line scrubs. Players should be paid according to their performance on the ice. The minimum contracts do help in that regard, but their impact is somewhat lessened by hometown discounts and long term deals. The salary cap's purpose is to enforce parity in the league, but it doesn't really do that. Rarely ever are teams forced to make roster changes to fit within the salary cup, something that's quite common in the NHL. I think ensuring players are paid according to their value will help create more of a cap crunch, forcing teams to be smarter about how they spend money, and hopefully create more parity in the league. It also makes the lives of GMs a bit harder, but it adds another element for GMs to keep track of. This will never actually happen because of how money works in the SHL, but I think it'd be an interesting idea. I think a fluctuating salary cap, whether it be randomly selected within a certain range, or determined based on league activity, would add another fun wrinkle into the managerial side of things.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

PBE PT

[Image: wHACKER.png]