Create Account

Weekend Funtime: Wild Card (S48)

-Is there an area which a team can exploit on their opponent?-

Flaming Hot Take:
The Calgary Dragons have a very unique opportunity on their hands for this particular matchup against the Edmonton Blizzard. In the SMJHL playoffs there is a first round matchup between the Halifax Raiders and the Colorado Raptors. Noted Calgary prospect Atlas Rush @Rublic
has been performing admirably, and has contributed heavily to the Raider's 2-0 lead. This 2-0 lead is maintained Edmonton's prospect Julio Tokolosh, who, once called up, would be contributing meaningful minutes immediately, according to this spreadsheet that either Luke, Bojo, or Aaron Wilson put together. Get the tinfoil ready. If Halifax beats the Raptor's in the 4 games that they are on pace to, Julio is more easily called up to contribute in Edmonton's efforts, possibly turning the tides and contributing as heavily to the impending cup run as his twisted little mind will take him #MadCowDisease. To prevent this, Calgary could potentially call up Rush immediately, in an effort to make the Halifax vs. Raptors series go longer, buying themselves (the Dragons) a few more games without the milky passer on the ice against them.

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

Is there a goalie advantage in either match up and why?

Obviously there is a goalie advantage in the Calgary-Edmonton series. The advantage is all Calgary! Both Kata Vilde and Richard C. Hocolate would be the best goalies on Edmonton by save percentage, so its clear that the Parm Eaters have the superior net front presence

You were the 100th caller for a sports talk show give away and awarded 2 tickets to any of the 4 stadiums and a free jersey of 1 of the players involved in the 1st round! what city are you going too and whos jersey are you sporting and why!?

Definitely getting a Louie Garret jersey, but I want to go to a game in Toronto to experience the nightlife there, so I'm going to get one of his old Texas Renegades ones that way I don't get passive aggressively abused by all the nice canadians while I'm up there. 

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede   

What players are keeping their opponents GM's up at night in this match up?

Looking at the Edmonton vs. Calgary series, there are two players, one from each team that will no doubt keep the other teams GM up at night.  For Edmonton, Teddy Cuddles is the player that will keep the Calgary GM up at night, with 22G and 23A in the regular season, Cuddles not only brings Edmonton’s biggest scoring threat, he also leads his team in hits, punishing his opponents 187 times this season.  On the flip side, Mike Izzy will have the exact same affect on Edmonton’s GM. Izzy tallied 21G and 29A himself, and knocked down a whopping 220 players during the season.  Both of these players will have their opposing GMs up at night, and for a good reason!

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Code:
Who needs to step up for their team to win?

Alex Light needs to step it up during the playoffs if the Platoon wants to have a chance to repeat as cup champions. The aging winger and captain of the Platoon has been struggling putting it in the net this season with only 11 goals, a large drop in contrast to his past seasons.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

It's very clear that Buffalo will take advantage of Toronto being a bad team in general. I predict this series be a overwhelming slaughter by the stamps, mainly due to them being gooder.

And the fact that buff is stacked.

I think Buffalo has the upper hand and will look to exploit general weak mindedness of all Toronto players. Toronto in recent years have outright shown they can't run with the big boys.

Code:

If I was the GM of the North Stars, I'd be terribly concerned about Louie Garrett. He has a tendency to not only be effective in the regular season, but explodes in the playoffs.

Words: 34

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

Code:
How do you see either series playing out?

Calgary wins in 5. They've got a much better offensive team, and even with them going all out on scoring, they still keep the puck out. Look at that plus/minus.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Code:
Is there an area which a team can exploit on their opponent?
The Edmonton Blizzard have a serious lack of defensive depth compared to Calgary's surplus of 600-700 TPE young defenseman. Their top pairing of Tor Tuck and Brady McIntyre is absolutely elite and solid, but beyond that they have an aging Sven Brokstad, and Karlstraße Scholz, who just isn't quite ready to be a top tier defender yet. Those two are still quite decent second pairing defensemen, but their third pairing is under 500 TPE, which is probably going to hurt against powerhouse offensive clubs quite a bit. Forwards such as Mike Izzy and Shooter McGavin could run circles around that third pairing, and that's a weakness the Dragons want to exploit.

Code:
Is there a managerial advantage in either match up and why?
I think the Calgary Dragons have a managerial advantage after being in the finals last year; they know what it takes to triumph against adversity and find the winning strategies against the best opponents. I think their GM came away with a lot of experience and will be looking to roll out similar strategies this year, and if history repeats itself, that'll be quite good for them.

Code:
Who needs to step up for there team to win?
Willy Mack has a ton of TPE and is widely considered a steal, but did not eclipse the 30 point mark in the regular season. He needs to show his potential and put his honed talents to good work for the Edmonton Blizzard to win, because they will need a ton of scoring to advance. He has the skills, with 99 Scoring, he just needs it to show on the ice.

Code:
Every year, people laugh at the regressing goalie situation in Toronto, but they are blessed by the STHS gods it seems. Somehow, McFadden outperforms some 1000+ TPE goalies in the regular season, but on paper he is the worst starter in the league stats and TPE wise. Buffalo should have an advantage in that department, although Cedric Robinson has gone a bit inactive, he is at over 700 TPE so he has nearly double what McFadden does. McFadden and Robinson had equal save percentages with .907 in the regular season though so it's up in the air whether STHS will finally punish Toronto.

Code:
Are there any young players in these match ups that are ready to seize center stage?
I think Bobby Sharp for the Buffalo Stampede is developing extremely well and could flourish under the bright lights. He had a quiet 21 point outing, but he had a very higher shooting percentage, so he's quite an efficient player. If given a bit more ice time, we could witness a playoffs break out; I think he absolutely has the potential to score a ton of goals and break down Toronto's defense.

Code:
Code:
How do you see either series playing out?
I see the Buffalo Stampede making quick work of the Toronto North Stars, as I believe their goalie woes will finally catch up to them, and Mikhail Lokitonov cannot singlehandedly carry his team to the next round despite his immense skill level. I think the Stampede will either earn a sweep, or if Lokitonov has a very magical night, perhaps 5 games, but I don't see this one being a contest or going the distance.

Code:
Mikhail Lokitonov must be giving the Buffalo Stampede nightmares after another campaign over a point per game pace. He's one of the most talented scorers in his generation of players, and having to deal with containing him won't be an easy task. Buffalo's GM is likely struggling to figure out what game plan to roll out against Lokitonov and knows that whatever he decides may be futile; Lokitonov is just that good.

Code:
Is there a team in either series that match up well against Nola or Tampa bay if they could advance? .. if so how come?
I think Calgary can match up well against either one of those teams since they have so much depth at every position, as well as prior experience from their deep run last year. Calgary does not care about regular season performance or the odds, they just know their skill level and they try to execute their game plan to perfection.

Code:
Code:
You were the 100th caller for a sports talk show give away and awarded 2 tickets to any of the 4 stadiums and a free jersey of 1 of the players involved in the 1st round! what city are you going too and whos jersey are you sporting and why!?
I'm going to the Blizzard's stadium and wearing Willy Mack's jersey because he's always been very amicable to me. He's one of the last remaining players from our S44 draft class and I want to support him as he and I have been battling for the TPE lead of the class for a long time; we both push each other to be better and hope each other does well in our respective careers.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

I think Buffalo has the advantage over Toronto and can find multiple ways to exploit Toronto.

Buffalo has a much deeper team and should be able to exploit the lower forward lines and defensive pairings of Toronto who are very top heavy.

Additionally they should try to get as many shots as possible on McFadden whose abilities are going down in his older playing days.

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

Code:

I would choose to go to Rexall Place in Edmonton and I would be sporting Hercules Rockefeller’s number 24 jersey. I would choose his jersey because he is a fun player to watch who is top five in the SHL in the face-off dot, can put pucks into the back of the net as well as set up teammates for goals and is not afraid to take the body. He is a blue collar type of player who puts in the hard work to help his team win and has great leadership abilities, a type of player that I really respect.

@Leafs4ever

[Image: fever95.gif]
[Image: LpkqUbe.gif]

PREVIOUS PLAYER STATISTICS

Code:
Are there any young players in these match ups that are ready to seize center stage?

If there are young players who can seize the center stage, it's any of the rookies on Toronto.  They started the season with Troy Renolds, Donny McMasters, and Roger Baston, but sold at the deadline to add Joseph Laraque and Zach Laliberte for the future of their team.  Of those rookies, Troy Reynolds and Donny McMasters had the better season, Troy having 17 points (-3) and Donny having 9 points (+7).

Toronto has a very strong top line and has Lyndis Vakarian shredding it on the second line, so if any of these rookies turn it on for some solid depth play, Toronto has a shot at turning around their 0-3 wildcard series.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Code:
The buffalo stampede have a goalie advantage because McFadden for Toronto has regressed so far that he's basically a starting build with less than 500 TPE. I don't even get how toronto made the playoffs with that but STHS is random.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2019, 02:33 PM by WannabeFinn.)

Code:

Yeah, Buffalo can exploit literally everything about Toronto as demonstrated by every measurable stat in this series thus far.

Code:
Is there a team in either series that match up well against Nola or Tampa bay if they could advance? .. if so how come?

Yeah, Buffalo against Tampa. Buffalo’s roster is lightyears ahead of Tampa Bay and when they have a chance to focus their strategies on the Barracuda it will be lights out.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]