Create Account

SMJHL Daily interviews Jean-Paul Boivin
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019, 05:03 PM by diacope.)

Welcome to our show, I'm John, and I'm Kim and today we are going to be chatting with Jean-Paul Boivin, a native of Toronto and left winger for the championship winning Vancouver Whalers. The draft is around the corner, cellphone batteries are running low in every GM office around the league and assistants are busier than ever.. lets get started!

S.D. John Hey there #67, how has your off season been?

J.P. Hey John and Kim thanks for having me. Man, off season has been a mixture of great and awful. I mean you get a break which you think is nice, but you're about to get drafted so you can't relax. You are constantly fielding calls from GMs, even me, so you are getting interrupted every time you sit down to eat some poutine. Also the guys you've grown close to get called up when you dominant the league. Who knew? It's good to hang with the folks, though. They're good people. Also doing some off-season reps is always good fun.

S.D. Kim Where did it all start? Did you play any other sports growing up or before joining the league?

J.P. It started when I was four and my mom made me play hockey. Dad played in college so it was always encouraged. He said he wasn't good enough to go the SHL, but he said it taught him about brotherhood and a bunch of other boomer morals so he wanted us to play. So he had me and my brothers out there, doing drills and just skating. That's when it started.

For your second question, I played baseball growing up. Second basemen. Was a bash brother then too. Got into a couple of rhubarbs but kept a respectable average. Also play golf, but that's so I can talk to them country club girls and get hammered with my bros.

S.D. John What is your most memorable moment this season or when you were younger?

J.P. Probably that fight I got into in the playoffs. That was pretty rad. Dropping gloves on that sort of stage, indescribable. That or when I dropped gloves against this guy Kev in high school. Fuck you Kev.

S.D. Kim Noticed you were a part-time artwork dealer along with playing in the SMJHL this season, who introduced you to graphics? What was your first piece of art you can remember making?

J.P. My mom paints as a side hustle. Mainly landscapes and such. Probably laid out the foundation for me to do it. First piece of art I made was a large drawing of my dog at the time, Betsy. The medium, yellow snow.

S.D. John Who do you model your game after?

J.P. That's a good question. I try to take a lot of things I like about a bunch of different players and see what I can do that works for me. I think Mike Izzy is definitely an influence.

S.D. Kim Did you meet your goals and expectations this season with the Whalers?

J.P. We won the Four Star Cup. Can't top that for a rookie season. I didn't have a lot of goals coming into the season. I was just trying my best and seeing if I had what it takes. I think I do. Hell Jean-Paul knows he does.

S.D. Kim Who is your favorite prospect(s)?

J.P. From my draft class, I would side with Artem Mozgov. The guy is a power forward which I hear so so things about at the SHL level but he's a good player who puts in more reps than you would expect. Absolute monster.

COMMERCIAL BREAK
*SMJHL DAILY DRAFT NIGHT SPECIAL AD PLAYS*

S.D. John What aspects of your game are the strongest and the weakest?

J.P. Strongest would be I like the physical play, team first mindset and I am willing to improve. My dad drilled it into my head that it isn't all about me. It's about the team. Weakest would be my scoring.

S.D. Kim Do you have any plans before the draft?

J.P. I'm gonna pound some brewskis and see if I can get some bois together.

S.D. John What teammates will the Vancouver Whalers miss most next season after SHL call ups?

J.P. All of them bruh. I think Aaron Wilson will leave the largest hole but I mean all the captains and alternates got called up. It's a big change for the group. However change happens. Like socks.

S.D. Kim What are your goals for next season?

J.P. More ice time. More bashing. More Fun. Another trip to the playoffs.

S.D. John Do you think you could be considered a first round selection?

J.P. Not unless something drastic happens soon. Maybe a late first round pick if my resume picks up steam. Heh. I don't mind being in the second round. This draft is literally like "if you ain't first you're last" kind of stuff. So you can't be too upset if you are picked in the second. Now if we had like fifteen rounds then yeah I would be sweating it.

S.D. John What is one thing you want the SHL to know about you we didn't already cover?

J.P. Hey Kim, can I get your number?

END CREDITS
*SMJHL SPORTS DAILY. BRINGING YOU INSIDE THE GAME. TUNE IN TOMORROW AND WATCH THE DRAFT LIVE*

(890 words)

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon

Totally got that number bois

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Kim probably turned you down.

[Image: dmills3.gif]
[Image: 6by0kBi.png] || [Image: ohmEd0h.png]

CanadaWhalersSteelhawks