Create Account

S49 PT#3 - SHL Big Brother program
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 04:29 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

[Image: Big-Brothers-Mentoring-300x225.png]

Weve witnessed young players implode in front of the bright lights of the SHL! it's an issue that the league has been cognizant of as they try and find better ways to prepare our prospects for the rigors of league/site stardom. Over the off season the SHL implemented a ‘Big brother’ program where an SHL player takes in a prospect for the week to help better prepare them for what lies ahead.. and now the league wants to hear about the results!

Written Task: If you are in the SHL, the league has asked that you to choose a player in the SMJHL to take in, work withand put in some difficult life skill situations which may come up in the future.. and see how they handle it.. and in 150+ words explain how it all worked out!? Who did you choose and what made you choose them? What did you both do during the week? Did you put him in some difficult situations? what did they struggle with and what did they do well at? What were your final conclusions of your mentorship with this player? (*tag player involved)

**If you are in the juniors, talk about your week with your big brother using the same criteria above. (*tag your big brother)

Graphic Task: post a pic of you and your big brother participant engaged in a task together which is teaching them an SHL life lesson. Graphic must include a title, you and your big brothers renders and names, a life lesson you are teaching and a brief written description of what it is you both are doing.

Additional Information:
You will receive 3 capped TPE for fulfilling all requirements.
This PT will close Sunday, August 25 at 10PM EST.

Welfare claims from either PBE or the NSFL are accepted! *if you’re claiming welfare and have a different username on the affiliates site then you need to state that in your post to get credit.*

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.

Any questions/concerns, please PM me.
Note: Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

*Not my submission*
Is the title a reference to 1984? It's a bit creepy.

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 01:26 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

08-17-2019, 01:16 PMTheHockeyist Wrote: *Not my submission*

ive never seen that movie or read that book... but if it highlights something negative... thats no good.. so ill change it

Knights|Dragons|Austria

08-17-2019, 01:23 PMMike Izzy Wrote:
08-17-2019, 01:16 PMTheHockeyist Wrote: *Not my submission*

ive never seen that movie or read that book... but if it highlights something negative... thats no good.. so ill change it

Ah - Big Brother is a reference to this.

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 02:31 PM by The__Y-man__100.)

when the SHL came to Boris about the big brother program, he took a bunch of names in a hat, closed his eyes, and picked one. @omenolson was the lucky winner! Vancouver being a proper, well respected SMJHL city, Boris had to teach Marcus what real toughness is. Showing up to Marcus' condo (how he got the address is still a mystery) with the Ukrainian mafia by his side. Marcus opens the door to see five men in tracksuits, who knock him out immediately with a vodka bottle. After a few hours, Marcus wakes up in his own custom track suit along with a bloody jaw. Looking around he sees he's in a cage, WITH A BEAR?!?! Marcus was in shock, and screamed without thinking,  the scream startles the bear and now it feels threatened. Letting out a loud roar it charges at Marcus (being 180lbs, he looks like a toothpick compared to this bear). With fear in his eyes, Marcus doesn't run, but he charges at the bear head on. BOOM, Marcus gets absolutely wrecked by this bear. Mounting itself on top of Marcus, the bear just stares at him and smells him, and then... licks him?  "перестаїн" is shouted from the back.  The bear gets off of Marcus and is then thrown a fish. Boris emerges from the shadows and says "You got knocked on your ass, but you took it like a man. being a rookie in the SMJHL, the bigger, older guys are going to run all over you. But you didn't run away, you faced your fear even though every instinct in your body told you to run. THAT is what is going to make you a great SHL player. Keep fighting the beasts, until you become one yourself". Boris then opens the cage, and European techno starts playing and all these men and women in tracksuits come out of nowhere and all these flashing lights come one. "LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN!". Vodka shots were immediately handed out to everyone, including Svetlana the bear, Boris' personal pet bear.

Boris had planned this from the beginning and held a promotional "bear night" at the club he owns in Ukraine. Marcus' life was changed after this night. For better or for worse, we don't know, but we like to think he had a great time.

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

08-17-2019, 01:30 PMTheHockeyist Wrote:
08-17-2019, 01:23 PMMike Izzy Wrote: ive never seen that movie or read that book... but if it highlights something negative... thats no good.. so ill change it

Ah - Big Brother is a reference to this.

ahhhhh ... no we were going for *THIS* Cool

Knights|Dragons|Austria

08-17-2019, 01:34 PMMike Izzy Wrote:
08-17-2019, 01:30 PMTheHockeyist Wrote: Ah - Big Brother is a reference to this.

ahhhhh ... no we were going for *THIS*  Cool

Are you sure you aren't aiming for this?

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, and Ragnarr for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Written Task: If you are in the SHL, the league has asked that you to choose a player in the SMJHL to take in, work with... and put in some difficult life skill situations which may come up in the future, to see how they handle it...  and in 150+ words explain how it all worked out!? Who did you choose and what made you choose them? What did you both do during the week? Did you put him in some difficult situations? what did they struggle with and what did they do well at? What were your final conclusions of your mentorship with this player? (*tag player involved)

Great idea. For this task i did choose New England Wolfpack prospect Jakub Bruchevski @JaytheGreat. Jakub is a center, a position that is well-stocked on the Wolfpack roster. He has four players in front of him in the depth chart, namely Anders Christiansen, Gordie Boomhover, Slap McShotty and Boris "The Beast" Poroshenho. These are all great established players, so it will take some time for him to crack the roster. Hence i would like to use the opportunity to teach him a few lessons in patience, because that will the key for him in the coming seasons. What is the best way to test someone's patience? That's right, crowdy roads and stopping lights with a very long wait. So i decided to setup a different driving scheme for Jakub. Normally we take the shortcuts to our training arena, but i ordered Jakub to take the detour instead for a full week. He passed the test with flying clors, he never looked cranky and always stepped into the building with a big smile. It will take some time, but this prospect will be a stud and important player for the Wolfpack.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 12:04 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

Yes Mike Izzy is an all world talent on the ice. but Mike Izzy is also one of the SHL's true celebrity figures... so when i heard that the league wanted me to teach a young player the ropes, i thought about Gabriel Johnson.. a young defender on the Anchorage Armada who also has a knack for the media limelight. On Gabbys day off hes co hosts an indy podcast which has grown in popularity as he has excelled on the ice. I think Gabby is someone i can help with the intricate situations he may face as a media/athlete in the SHL.

My biggest worry for Gabriel was wether hell have the will power to resist the temptations that come with celebrity stardom. You know what they are... the women.. the drugs.. the women with drugs! ... for a young guy these are attractions that can steer you away from true concentration on the ice!

So on his 1st night at my home i had him watching Calgary Dragons game film... and at some point i informed him that id be leaving for an hour or 2, while he continues to watch the tapes.... little did he know that in the adjacent bedroom were 3 high class hookers and an 8 ball of coke. Now If Gabby has what it takes hell resist that temptation and continue watching the game film like i asked!!

[Image: BqMRStN.png]

Unfortunatley temptation reared its ugly head for Gabriel Johnson... but to his credit he washed the sheets after woods and bought me a chicken parm hero as an apology. All in all it was a productive week as a big brother.. I think the future is bright for this emerging SMJHL talent and i wish him well.

@Gwdjohnson

Knights|Dragons|Austria
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 06:19 PM by BDonini.)

[Image: q8JYiTf.png]

Lallo Selman and Corey Kennedy (@SDCore) on their big brother wildlife conservation trip where they worked together to dart, medicate and tag wild animals, contributing to wildlife preservation and learning teamwork.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

I chose to mentor young Pride prospect Jonas Larsen (@DaftRaincloud), who’s known around the team as a video expert (he can edit and upload anything to YouTube). While Jonas is a great young kid, he hasn’t really had to deal with money yet. As a young player, I did a great job on wasting my money on stupid shit like expensive pinball machines, group orgies, and a nipple piercing (huge mistake) before finally getting my money on track and opening sports memorabilia stores where I’ve played in the past, which have been great for me as I’ve made some decent profits off of them. I taught Jonas how to save money, invest in the right stocks, and make decent profits off of stuff like his YouTube channel. That way, he wouldn’t make the same mistakes I did when I was younger. I want to see these young guys succeed, and helping out a young gun like Jonas with his finances will help with that.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

I consider myself a lone wolf when it comes to the SHL, I prefer focusing on myself and with that comes being a bit distant to others. When I was chosen to be a "big brother" for a future SHL draftee, I was hesitant but went along with it for the hell of it. I didn't have anyone in mind so I chose a player at random and the name that came up was James Hendricks ( @Clayroo ) from the Anaheim Outlaws. I decided to mentor the young talented forward like Rocky and the Karate Kid. He downed some eggs, punched some meat in a freezer, painted my fence and tried to catch a chicken. It was a tough day, but I think he did a good job. The kid seems to have a bright future wherever he gets drafted to in the upcoming SHL Draft. How much of an effect I had on him, (good or bad) we will have to wait and see.

For the SHL's Big Brother program, I've decided to mentor Halifax Raider's left winger Suzuki Namokato. The choice was simple really. His early career mirrors mine, both starting as a sniping left winger drafted by Halifax. I think I can help show him a thing or two about the league.

We met up on a Friday and spent some time just getting to know each other. We grabbed some burritos for lunch and we took a stroll around the Raider's training facility. It was nice to be back in my old stomping grounds and see the changes and new faces. I asked him what he wanted out of his time in the SMJHL and gave him some advice. I told him to just enjoy the minors because once you get the call up, it becomes a crazy, stressful journey. The minors are a great way to hone your craft. You are supposed to work on your skills so there's some leeway for you. Once you get to the SHL, you need to already produce so there isn't as much room for error.

I asked him how he would respond to a certain situation in the SHL. I told him, what would you do if you were mired in a 10 game pointless streak? He said he would stay calm and patient and just keep working off the ice. He would try to clear his mind once he left the rink to kind of reset. On the ice, he would just keep working on his skills to remind himself that he didn't lose any of them. I thought that was a great answer.

I'm excited to follow Namokato's journey to the SHL and I hope he finds his way there soon. I'll be waiting for him.

(295 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Atlas Rush got to spend time with Fellow Dragon and Atlas Rush's Idol Mike Izzy @Mike Izzy . Rush has a very similar game to that of Mike Izzy and hopes to be just as dominant when he finally gets the call up to the big club. The Main difference in their game is that Mike Izzy is a two way forward with a solid physical game where as Rush has taken the power forward approach. Basically the difference comes down to where both players chose for their weakness.. For Mike Izzy it is his strength and for Atlas it is his passing ability. While Atlas Rush isn't as good defensively as Mike Izzy he is well on his way having won the Brandon Holmes trophy in the SMJHL in season 48 for best defensive forward. Izzy and Rush took an unorthodox approach when it came to training as you would hardly ever see them in a gym. They were often seen however in the beautiful rocky mountains climbing trees and wrestling bears. They spent a whole week out in the mountains with no contact and came back as Mountain men. If they can survive all the struggles of living out in the wilderness for a week there is nothing they cant handle on the ice. The first things Atlas and Mike did was cut down a tree with axes then carved hockey sticks out of the tree and made some nets with the left over wood. It was a life changing experience for Atlas getting to spend some quality time with his idol and he looks forward to training hard with Mike Izzy again out in the Wild!

S52 "A" Alternate Captain of the Calgary Dragons
"GM" - Former Prince George Firebirds and Regina Force General Manager
"C" - Former Captain of the Halifax Raiders
S48 Brandon Holmes Trophy Recipient - Top Defensive Forward

FirebirdsScarecrowsraiders - TimberGrizzliesArmadaCanadaDragonsBlizzardStars - PlatoonSpecters
Davos Otasrob Player Page
Davos Otasrob Player Updates

Code:
Written Task: If you are in the SHL, the league has asked that you to choose a player in the SMJHL to take in, work with... and put in some difficult life skill situations which may come up in the future, to see how they handle it...  and in 150+ words explain how it all worked out!? Who did you choose and what made you choose them? What did you both do during the week? Did you put him in some difficult situations? what did they struggle with and what did they do well at? What were your final conclusions of your mentorship with this player? (*tag player involved)

For the S49 SHL Big Brother program I was granted the opportunity to help mentor and essentially be a "Big Brother" towards to! I know first hand that being in the SHL is a complete different transition from playing in the SMJHL so I had to choose a player from the Montreal  Militia as that was my SMJHL team and where I called home for three seasons.

I chose @Taxman100 Henry Morris IV as the person to room with me and experience what it will be like in the SHL.  I gave Henry tips on how to live alone, how to navigate in a new city and how to train and diet yourself once in the SHL. 

Henry was listening and I could see him getting adjusted towards the SHL lifestyle only a few days in! He didn't really struggle with anything during my mentorship with him.

Overall, my conclusion for Henry is that I see him having a bright future once called up to the SHL where I see him being a huge producer for his club.

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures!