Create Account

PGS S49 - Game #13
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 07:44 PM by CleverPin.)

[Image: Falcons-Banner.png] VS. [Image: Kelowna.png]
DETROIT FALCONS  VS. KELOWNA KNIGHTS

Welcome to the first Post Game Show of S49! As far as I can see, I am the first one to hop on this so I'm very excited to be getting my feet in the water and trying this all out. We have a fantastic game to cover to start off this season as this was one of the first games of the year from a young Kelowna Knights team trying to build off of a bottom end finish in last season's campaign. Their competition? The dominant and ever terrifying Detroit Falcons, lead by a veteran core and prepared for a fantastic season. Let's hop right into it.

First Period
It didn't take long for this game to kick off as Detroit was ready to go out of the gate for this competition. A mere two minutes into the game, Khabib Nurmagomedov found the back of the net for his third goal of the season, launching the Falcons into the lead extremely early. Unfortunately for them, Kelowna wasn't going down without a fight, and certainly wasn't going to give the game away that fast. Raquel Castillo Gutierrez tickled twine for their second goal of the season, tying the game up at one a piece. Kelowna's Nicklaus Engel took an early hooking penalty which set up the Falcons powerplay for a strong goal from Raino Kyllonen. Josh Driver was looking hungry in the first period and finally found his mark only a minute after Kyllonen's goal to bring the Falcons into a 3-1 lead. The last bit of major entertainment of the first period occurred when Kelowna's Prince Devitt drew a minor penalty for roughing half way through the period on which the Falcons power play could not convert, and the rest of the period played out quietly.

Second Period
Miikka Salo began the second period in an a bad way, taking a tripping penalty to launch Kelowna onto their first power play of the game. Much later in the period, Josh Driver let his aggression get the better of him as he took a roughing penalty which would be matched a few short minutes as Prince Devitt took his second penalty of the game on a high stick. Neither team scored in this period, leaving the goal gap at two.

Third Period
Both teams were ready for a real barn burner heading into the third period here, but for Detroit it didn't start the way they wanted as Miikka Salo showed a lack of discipline, taking a penalty near the half way point of the period. Aleksandr Scherbak jumped on the opportunity, scoring his first goal of the season on the power play and bringing the game to within one. A few short minutes later though, and Detroit had reason to celebrate as Khabib Nurmagomedov scored his second goal of the game, assisted by Josh Driver and Raino Kyllonen. The Falcons would hold onto the lead through the rest of the game, only giving up one bad play with nine seconds left in the game when Daren Loop took a penalty for hooking at 19:51 of the third period.

Final Score
Detroit (4) - Kelowna (2)

Three Stars
1 - Khabib Nurmagomedov (DET)
2 - Raino Kyllonen (DET)
3 - Josh Driver (DET)

These three players combined for a total of eight points tonight in what was a fantastic offensive showing from Detroit's second line. If these guys can keep putting up numbers like these, they'll be dominating the league in no time from Detroit's top line. 

Thank you for tuning into the first Post Game Show of the season! I'll see you all next week!

[Image: ws92zPV.png]
FIRST SHIFT, FIRST GAME, FIRST SHOT, FIRST GOAL
[img=0x0]https://i.ibb.co/4fx7RqP/first-goal.png[/img]

Coming into this game the Kelowna Knights had a one game lead over the Detroit Falcons (despite it being early in the season). Everyone expected the Knights to win this one as well as they had a better draft (despite the Falcons picking up Flynn with a late round selection). The Falcons however showed that you don’t need a good draft if you still have a great team from the season before.
Khabib Nurmagomedov was unstoppable for the Falcons with 2 goals, 1 assist and a +3 plus minus rating, this mainly came due to the perfect connectgion he had with Raino Kyllonen. This atleast showed that Detroit might have the top-end star power to win many games this year.

Words: 120

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Comment 1:
Three Stars: The three stars in this game were a no brainer, with all three coming from Detroit's second line of forwards. They carried this game by themselves, scoring enough in the first period alone to win their team the game. First star went to the right winger Khabib Nurmagommedov for three points, two goals, and one assist. The second star was earned by the other winger Raino Kyllonen for three points, one goal and two assists. Finally the center, Josh Driver with the third star got two points, one goal and one assist. His goal being the game winner. This line has set the bar high for themselves early in the season.

Comment 2:
[Image: jMzPN1V.jpg]

Comment 3:
[Image: LghlK5W.jpg]

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 05:41 PM by uhh.)

Tankovic's Early Goalscoring Slump Continues

For the second straight game, Detroit's Savoli Tankovic @ItssYoBoiDaLegend failed to find the back of the net despite recording five shots on goal. Tankovic fired the puck at Kelowna's Alexander Thorstrom @Jesster, but couldn't beat the Knights netminder.

Tonight was an especially rough go for Tankovic, as he went -1 in a game that his team won by two goals, struggling on both sides of the ice. The normally reliable two-way forward is not happy with himself, despite the Falcons winning two of their first three games.

"Not good enough for me. I'm better and I have to be better," said Tankovic at this morning's practice. "It's one of those things that happens in hockey sometimes. I can pull out of it. I'm not worried too much."

Tankovic certainly has reason to be confident. Last season, he scored 17 goals and added 25 assists for a total of 42 points, trailing team leader Espen Knutsen Jr. @Randominoe by only three. Knutsen has also struggled to start the season, but scored a goal in Detroit's last game, a win over Anaheim.

The Falcons' coaching staff is being patient with their star players, knowing that they have the talent to turn it around. Tankovic, Kuntsen Jr., and Austin Roenick @XLeafer continued to skate together on the first line at practice before the team boarded a bus bound for Lethbridge, where they will face the Lions tonight.

[Image: urawa4.jpg]
Special thanks to @Sleepy for the signature
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 09:21 PM by uhh.)

Salo's (Lack Of) Discipline Nearly Costs Falcons

Miikka Salo @mcgriddleluver, who played an otherwise strong game defensively for the Detroit Falcons, nearly led to his team losing tonight's season opener against the Kelowna Knights. The Falcons won 4-2, but the game was a lot closer than it had to be in the third period.

Salo was a +1 and led his team with 6 hits. However, he also took two penalties, his second one allowing the Knights to pull within a goal of the Falcons by cutting the score to 3-2 with a little under ten minutes left in the third.

Salo's penalty was not a good one, as he got beat in a footrace by Kelowna's Kalevolaripaavo Kaspertommevisnapuu @AlwaysGettingHaxed and hauled him down with a lazy hook instead of hustling after him. To his credit, Salo acknowledged this after the game.

"Yeah, that was bad by me. I was tired, but I should have got off the ice sooner. I took a long shift," said Salo after the game. "Coach let me know and I'll be better going forward."

[Image: urawa4.jpg]
Special thanks to @Sleepy for the signature
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 09:14 PM by ImASurvivor.)

Three Stars:
In this segment, we will take a look at the players that the sim engine determined were the three stars of the game. In this game, all three stars were selected from Detroit after a decisive 4-2 victory over Kelowna.
3 - Josh Driver
Driver had a goal, an assist, 2 penalty minutes, 1 hit, and had 13 minutes of ice time against Kelowna. Driver’s goal came after Nurmagomedov intercepted a Prince Devitt pass in the neutral zone before springing Driver in on goal where he backhanded it into the top shelf to put the Falcons up by two still early in the first period, and ended up being the game winning goal. He returned the favour to Nurmagomedov with eight minutes left in the third period alongside lineman Raino Kyllonen to put the game out of reach for the Knights. Luckily for Driver, his roughing penalty was killed off by his teammates.
2 - Raino Kyllonen
Kyllonen had a goal, 2 assists, and won 65% of his faceoffs against Aleksandr Scherbak. Kyllonen’s goal came on the power play early in the game, off an assist from Jagger Fouquette which gave the Falcons the lead once again, Kyllonen also assisted on Nurmagomedov’s two goals, one that opened the game and one that sealed it. Possession is an essential part of any hockey game and winning 13/20 faceoffs is a great way of securing the puck for your team.
1 - Khabib Nurmagomedov
Rounding out the three stars of Detroit’s second line is Nurmagomedov who had 2 goals and 1 assist, with 1 hit during his 16 minutes of ice time. He opened the game just 2 and a half minutes in after a nice pass from Kyllonen. He then intercepted a neutral zone pass and set Driver up on a breakaway to score the eventual game winning goal, and then put the game out of reach late in the third period off a nice team play from Detroit’s star studded second line.

Standings Shakeup:

This was both teams’ third game of the season, with Detroit entering with 1 win and 1 loss, and Kelowna having won both of its opening two games. Kelowna was focused on keeping up with a hot Montreal Militia, and Detroit was looking to get it’s season back on track after losing game 1 of the season to that same Militia team. Both teams exited this one with a 2-1 record which would obviously leave them above average, with 47 games left to play this one had a very minor effect on any playoff implications. Detroit will face Lethbridge in one day’s time and Kelowna returns to Montreal to test the beast itself.

Turning Point:

In this segment, we will uncover the moment of the game that truly cemented the winner. This game’s turning point was the opening face-off as Detroit was in the driver’s seat from the very beginning and never took their foot off the pedal. This is evidenced by the high scoring first period where Detroit scored three goals, and Kelowna scoring one of their own. Another clear indicator of an overall dominating performance by the Falcons was the fact that they outshot their opponents 30-20 over the course of the game. Elsewhere, Detroit had 6 more hits, Kelowna won 4 more faceoffs and blocked 5 more shots, and Detroit committed an extra penalty compared to the other.

[Image: bobby1.jpg]

[Image: DaNnVpo.png]   [Image: CfsNrQZ.png]   [Image: ZZLBWWZ.png]
Kraken | Switzerland | Jets

DotG - Alexander Thorstrom (Goaltender,  Knights )

Dud of the Game goes to Knights net-minder Alexander Thorstrom, who somehow managed to not be pulled after an embarrassing gaffe on the penalty kill led to Raino Kyllonen's goal. The keeper was about to freeze the puck when he went to push it to an open Knights defender. Unfortunately, the puck got snagged in his glove, and flipped to Jagger Fouquette, who slid the puck to an open Kyllonen. The finn made no mistake in burying it, to the fury of Kelowna's head coach.

⭐⭐⭐ - Josh Driver (Center,  Falcons )

Detroit's Josh Driver comes in at 3rd star with an incredibly productive thirteen minutes of game time: an assist, three shots, a bone-crunching hit, and a goal that wound up being the game-winner. The speedy center made the most of his limited ice time, retrieving loose puck and clearing the zone with an efficiency that left the Knights struggling to keep up.

⭐⭐ - Raino Kyllönen (Center, Falcons )

Young finnish sensation Raino Kyllönen picks up a well deserved 2nd star, after dazzling the crowd with some slick playmaking and assured finishing. The center went 65% on the face-off dot and led the game with five shots, but it was his passing that had people talking: his apple on teammate Khabib's first goal was impressive, but in the third period a saucer pass made its way past several sticks and soared up the ice to give the Russian clear ice and all the time in the world.

- Khabib Nurmagomedov (Winger,  Falcons )

"Khabib killed us," Kelowna's head coach would later be heard remarking. His two goals bookended a strong night for the Falcons, further proving to the league that his offensive instincts are not to be trifled with. Nurmagomedov put on a clinic in both ends of the ice, leaving us with a performance that's earned him a deserved 1st star.

[312 words]

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

The Detroit Falcons were facing the Kelowna Knights in a match-up that seemed very close and exciting. While the Falcons took an early lead, the Knights managed to tie it up almost immediately again, only 9 seconds after the first goal. However, the Falcons managed to get two more goals in the first period and went into the first break with a 3-1 lead. No goals were scored in the second period. In the third period, Kelowna made it exciting again with a power-play goal to make it 3-2, but the Falcons responded again with their 4th goal to take home the win in this one.

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

Physical Play Comparison

In this contest, Detroit got the better of the checking game. They had a total of 19 hits, lead by Miikka Salo, who had six on their own. Six hits is a very impressive number, and the difference by which Detroit outhit Kelowna. Kelowna had more shots blocked, but in this case it is likely due to Detroit outshooting Kelowna by a substantial amount, thirty to twenty. Still, it’s good to see a team sacrifice the body in an attempt to keep them in the game. In the end, Detroit got the better of the physical player, overall. Hits can create turnovers, which can win games.

DET Hits: 19
KEL Hits: 13

DET SB: 6
KEL SB: 11

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2019, 11:32 AM by Z0REM.)

Poor Defensive Play All Around by the Knights

Being the third game in the season, the Knights rookie picks were really being tested in this league against a pretty veteran lineup coming from the falcons.  This difference in ice time and experience really showed in this matchup that had no effect on the future of the Knights. With the majority of the team having been on the ice for a goal against there is really no one person I would single out.  I would instead look to the management who have intelligently thrown these rookies on the ice to see what they are made of.  But if anything goes to show they have quite a ways to go before the organization can use them effectively to defeat the falcons who seem like the dominant contenders in this league. 

Draft Pick #1 Analysis

When it comes to rookies you never know who will show themselves in a particular game.  Sometimes it can take a whole season before a rookie gets their stride.  Ryan Shepard the #1 pick of the draft had a poor showing this game where he was below 50% (9 out of 19) in face-offs and netted a -1 with not much else to show besides his hockey IQ.  The team is going to have a long season ahead of them if they want to be competitive.  I hope that going forward they work on getting his Face-off potential up as we saw that he could be quite the star out there on the ice.  Let's see if they can develop him into a top talent before he becomes an alumni.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

(Losing) Player of the Game

Raquel Castillo Gutierrez (W) – Gutierrez scored one of only two goals by the Kelowna Knights against the Detroit Falcons, the other by Aleksandr Scherbak. Scoring early in the first period to tie the game, assisted by Tah Pucheese and Josef Novotny, unfortunately things went downhill for the team from this point. Gutierrez also had 3 shots on goal, tying with Berg Svensen and Vadim Malichov. Although Aleksandr Scherbak was very close to winning (Losing) Player of the Game with their goal, Gutierrez also managed to lay three successful hits on the opposing team and was also played an important role on the penalty kill. Overall, an excellent choice for (Losing) Player of the Game.

Second Comment: 123 words

Kelowna did a lot of things right in this game they had 41 faceoff wins in comparison to Detroit’s 37. 11 blocked shots to Detroit’s 6 and only 6 penalty minutes in comparison to Detroit’s 8. Unfortunately, the inability to take advantage of the power play sorely hurt Kelowna with only being able to score on 1 of 4 attempts. The Falcons are proving to be a powerful team this season and this kind of play is showing that even when statistically being outplayed by many teams Detroit is able to put the puck on net at a much higher rate than their opponents and the strength of the team is its continued success and why it is on top of the standings.

[Image: 59270_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png]  [Image: nHs4nH0.png]

The Weird Stats
Let's look at some weird stats for this game. Hey did you know Detroit out shot Kelowna by 10 shots which probably helped them win? The majority of Detroit's centers sucked at the dot, which was odd because possession is a really easy way to generate offense so it means that despite losing first possession, the Falcons were still able to win the nitty gritty battles and score the important goals. Kelowna only had two players who had positive games in Tah Puhcheese and Raquel however the fuck you spell this. All in all, this was a weird stats game.

Khabib Nurmagomedov
Yes this is a segment entirely dedicated to one singular player because I don't really know what to talk about since it seems that pretty much everything has been covered by other people in this thread. I'll do my best here though. Okay so any night where you have three points is really impressive, but not only that he was +3 and he had a hit which meant he was an all around threat. He played only fifteen minutes tonight, but he did find some time on the power play which obviously helped him generate some goals. I would try and make a closing statement but I don't want to try and write that last name again.

Kelowna's Goalie Sucked
Okay so once again I don't know what to write so I find myself here writing this instead. Alexander Thorstram had an absolutely awful night, letting in some easy bounces and basically just giving a really bad showing all in all. That doesn't mean he's necessarily a bad goaltender, it was just an off night for a guy who is normally pretty reliable in between the pipes. Whenever a goalie posts a save percentage under 87% it's something to be concerned about, but tonight was just one of those nights for the Knights goaltender. We're sure he will bounce back though.

[Image: NkarYB0.png]
[Image: QJINy8y.png][Image: yUlku5j.png]

When the Game Got Away

The Kelowna Knights gave up a goal just 2 and a half minutes into the game. Good on them though, as they bounced back immediately, and scored just 9 seconds after to even the game again.

The game escaped them quickly just 4 minutes later, after Nicklaus Engel took a poor hooking penalty. The Falcons scored a powerplay goal to take the lead. Just over a minute after that, the Falcons scored again to extend their lead to 2. The Knights eventually got one back, but the goal by Driver to make it 3-1 would go down as the winner. The Knights nearly killed off the penalty, but with 16 seconds left in it, the Flacons scored and sucked the energy out of the Knights, and used that to strike a second time and carry that to a victory.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

Discipline
Both teams this game showed a distinct lack of discipline. Specifically Miikka Salo and Prince Devitt, both having 4 PIM this game. Fortunately for Devitt, neither of the penalties he took led to a powerplay goal for Detroit. Miikka was not so lucky, with his hooking minor about halfway into the third period led to a goal for Kelowna on the powerplay and while this brought them within one goal of Detroit, ultimately that would not be enough. It  would seem this game that Detroit's penalty kill would be paramount considering they took a whopping four penalties, two in the second period and two in the third. Despite copious amounts of penalties killing their momentum this game, they were able to push through and come out with the win.

Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots!
Let's talk about shots! Looks to me like Kelowna might have been taking the wrong kind of shots in the first. They got outshot by a factor of 2 to 1 in the first period as Emiko Spector saw only 6 shots compared to the 12 that Alexander Thorstrom faced. Quite the substantial difference in shots here as Detroit seemed to dominate the first and went up by a score of 3 to 1. The next period seemed slightly more even, as Detroit was able to get only 9 shots on goal compared to Kelowna's 6. No goals were scored in this period as both goalies stood tall. Kelowna started to surge in the third period, upping their shot total to 8 for the period and even managing to score another goal, but it wasn't enough as they were once again outshot by Detroit as they tallied 9 shots and 1 goal. As the game comes to a close, the final shot tally was 30 to 20 in favor of Detroit.

Second Line Dominance
If you're looking for scoring in a hockey game, normally your eyes are pulled towards the top line. In this game however, Detroit's second line completely stole the show. Accounting for all four of Detroit's goals in this game spread across the line, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Josh Driver, and Raino Kyllonen absolutely dominated on the ice tonight. Unsurprisingly all three of these players were the three stars of the game. Khabib took first star with two goals and an assist, Raino took second star with a goal and two assists, and Driver took third star with a goal and an assist.

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]