Create Account

Something something goalie records...
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2019, 07:45 AM by Carpy48.)

If you are on a team that isn't doing so well, you sometimes need to find motivation elsewhere. Let's face it, Toronto is having an absolutely miserable season right now, there is no way to deny it (yes, we're probably on pace for our worst season ever). On a rare day off I decided to look into the goalie archives of the league today (the digital version of course, I'm not that kind of person who digs through dusty library books in case you were wondering) and looked up all the names of all the great goalies of the past. To see where my young career could take me one day and to give me an extra boost of motivation to keep going, whether you win a game or lose, to never give up. There are still records to be broken and my plan is to do just that.

Luckily I have had one of the best mentors to learn from in my first two years in Toronto. I was only called up for a few games here and there while still playing in the SMJHL, but how many goalies can say they played alongside the great Michael McFadden? I'm not even remotely close to filling his skates yet, but looking up how many goalie category stats he still leads – it certainly is impressive. After 19 years in the league McFadden leads all goalies in games played by far (823), in wins (458), also in losses (but that record might be broken soon and I know he won't mind) and in assists (29). Some records are held by others already, e.g. most shutouts (53 - by Hall of Famer and fellow Finn Jakub Aittokallio who I remember watching as a little kid - little fun fact on the side there). Two down, 51 to go, I will get there eventually. These were only regular season stats since McFadden wasn't so lucky in the playoffs. He still made them 15 out of his 19 years in the league and only good old Mikke Laukkanen (115) and of course Beaujeaux Biscuit (113) played more playoff games. Another fun fact here: Laukkanen was another goalie I watched growing up, especially during the playoffs; after all we share a hometown.

McFadden, who inevitably is going to retire soon and I'm sure we will see many other goalies attending the ceremony, has managed to get to where he was last season by playing for three teams (Seattle, Edmonton and Toronto) and not only that; he was a starter his entire career including his three seasons with Prince George in the SMJHL. While I'm already trailing behind in the latter part - having only been the starter for one year in the J - I'm really happy to start my career where he ended his, with an Original Six team. Of course with the exception that I don't plan to (and hoping I won't have to) play for more than one team.
Right now things look abysmal for us in Toronto, but the goal is to get this team to another championship and you have to get worse first in order to get better ...or so they say. There are still records to be broken and I have at least 19 years to accomplish that. No need to rush right? I will simply go out there next time the coach decides to put me in and help this team to get another win. To conclude: I would like to break records, but could we please not start with the one of Toronto's worst season in franchise history?

Since there are no real days off if you play in the SHL: time to get back to the rink and get some practice time in. Maybe Michael McFadden will show up today (he sometimes still does that randomly)?

Words: 640

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Wow! Amazing to see that digital list, thank you for including that as it was a nice addition to start off your article with. The start you've had with Toronto may not be the best but I'm certain that by the time it concludes you'll go down as one of the best. I'm looking forward to following your career and then one day looking at your stats in the top of that digital list. Great work, excellent read! Smile

[Image: p82ugau.png]

McFadden sux

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]