Create Account

S49 PT#3 - SHL Big Brother program

I was fortunate to have several Big Brothers from the Edmonton Blizzard show me around town and how to act like a professional hockey player in the SHL. The week started with @karlssens and I pumping some iron after I figured out the training facility on my own and getting a bite to eat downtown. It was a great first day that ended with some autograph signing and getting to know a future teammate better. The next day was spent with @Muford who took me into the film room to go over defensive schemes and how to best play defense to suit his goalie prowess. It was incredibly good to get a feel for how I can shape my own game to funnel shooters to lower scoring percentage areas and it was invaluable to see how a true professional studies his craft. The week was rounded out when @caltroit_red_flames took me for a skate around and showed me some of his tricks of the trade, especially at such a high level. He was also nice enough to cover my bar tab when we all convened at the local watering hole to bond over a few brews. All in all, I'd say it was a pretty great week of mentorship that I will pay forward with my SMJHL rookies.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

@Winter is Coming
Naturally my player to take in would be wic...  or should i say Cody. The first difficult life skill situation came when I took him out for subs. There was a mistake in the order. MAYO! Can you believe it! THEY PUT MAYO ON THE SUBS! That was the day I had to bail Cody out of jail for punching the gut that made the sub. I think its safe to say that his few hours in the slammer was enough to learn his lesson. Although Cody can be rather outspoken about his mayo I did learn throughout the week about his love of dogs. We went to a shelter where he found a Shiba Inu and fell in love and adopted him. Cody has now replaced me with dog but its okay, he has grown up and does not need me any more *sob* *sob* 

* Cody can be found signing autographs in the Halifax Locker room  raiders

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

As a first-generation player in the Colorado locker room, I gravitated towards the semi-active @wuma [it says that the tag isn't working, but I tried], who was an older player who was still popular in the raptor's locker room. I would offer to take him under my wing in Tokolosh's version of the big brother program (Veal Pals), but he already has more experience than me. So I offer myself as the little brother (he has advised me enough already), and I will serve as the big brother to his little bean.

To the son of Wuma, I write;

On the simulated ice:
Maintain your core triangle, and keep your skating, passing, and scoring, evenly spaced, and never have the values overlap.
Don't make endurance a strength.
Buy the equipment immediately to get that little stat boost at the beginning of the season so the peasants can eat your dust while they are still saving up.

On the real ice:
Keep your head up in the neutral zone.
Make endurance a strength.
Finish your checks.
No ridiculous wind-up slap shots in beer league.
Answer the bell. Except in beer league. turtle like a coward and save yourself from getting a battery charge/suspension/showing up to work with a broken jaw.

In the simulated locker room:
In fantasy, look for checking. It's very consistent.
ask questions.
contribute.

In the real locker room:
Don't be the guy that showers in a bathing suit.
Keep the beers cold.
Watch out for Piss bombs in the showers.
Ease in with pouches, but switch to long cut when you're ready. and learn to drink with one in.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

To the PT directors:
An early test that I gave to Wuma's infant son was to test his team-first mentality. I put us in a situation where we would be able to get a meet and greet with Edmonton's Brady McIntyre. If played correctly, Little Bean would use his infant status to get us to the front of the line for signatures and handshakes. unfortunately, he was only worried about where his parents were, and kind of made a scene by throwing a tantrum. I had to get the hell out of there or risk losing face. If the pros had seen the crying baby near me, they probably would have thought "ew, that guy's not cool", so I taught Little Bean a lesson in self-preservation. I re-bundled him into his carriage and swiftly pushed the stroller towards the security desk, all while I turned and walked back to my car to plan a new way to get autographed merchandise to scalp. The kid still has a lot to learn.

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2019, 08:00 AM by Grapehead.)

When the SHL told me I had to be a Big Brother, I immediately knew I needed to help Cleo Green out of a tough situation. Apparently I wasn't allowed to choose Cleo Green though.. in fact, I wasn't allowed to choose at all! Now I'm sure you're wondering what the tough situation was that Cleo was in, but I can't really go into that here, because this is supposed to be about my Big Brother experience with Raquel Castillo Gutierrez (@Jiggly_333). Rocky came to visit me in San Francisco, and I tried to show her the ropes of putting in the dedication of a true professional athlete, but really the girl didn't seem to need my help at all. The best part of the experience was when she somehow got left behind by her team, and I had to rent a car to drive her across the country for a game. That road trip was a lot of fun, and we talked a lot about Cleo Green and the shit he was in.

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

PBE PT

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

As a junior player, Esa Parmborg spent the week with his big brother Barry Batsbak! Barry is a player that Esa looked up to ever since he was drafted by Calgary a few seasons back and has set an excellent example of what a player should be and has shown a great work ethic and attitude. Exactly the kind of player Parmborg wants to be when he grows up. The week started with Parmborg moving into Batsbak's apartment in Calgary, Barry set up an air mattress for him which was a big step down from Parmborg's usual king size XL bed, this was meant to teach Parmborg humility. Each morning Barry would make Esa run 5 miles and make him eat a healthy breakfast of fruits and some other weird food he didn't even know what it was, egg whites maybe? This was a big change from Parmborg's normal left over pizza and fried baked ziti for breakfast. Bastbak was trying to teach Parmborg that healthy eating fuels the body and allows you to perform at top level on the ice. Batsbak then would take him to a homeless shelter where they would help serve lunch to those less fortunate, this was a good learning experience and made Parmborg realize how lucky he was to be a professional hockey player and not take anything for granted. Word is Esa snuck a couple chicken cutlets into his pockets from the homeless shelter buffet but this can't be confirmed at this time. After giving back to the community Barry and Esa would play video games together before heading to practice, NHL 19 on PS4 and Barry would never let Esa win, again teaching him you have to work for your victories, nothing is given to you in life. Overall the week was very humbling and educational for a young 7'0" 350 pound Esa Parmborg, he even lost a few pounds from all that darn healthy eating. Barry Batsbak really has his shit together and was a great mentor, he's well on his way to becoming a star in the league and Parmborg will be looking to follow suit. Thanks for a fun week @Katth but you could have let Esa eat a couple parms for breakfast.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

08-20-2019, 05:55 PMhhh81 Wrote: Cassius Darrow takes SMJHL rookie Samuel Michaud @golden_apricot under his wing. It’s no secret Darrow was an outstanding first-year player for the Colorado Raptors, balancing a strong defensive game with skilled passing touch. Michaud is more of a stay at home defender, focused on keeping the puck away from his goalie. Unlike many in that vein, Michaud is far from a physical force, focusing more on finesse than grit. This is right in Darrow’s wheelhouse.

Step one was Michaud flying in to Buffalo to join Darrow for one of his notorious 5:30am workouts, to challenge Michaud with the level of strength and conditioning he’ll need to thrive at the next level. The rookie kept up for the first 15 minutes but was gassed not long after. The taciturn Darrow gave no quarter, continuing to push the young American to his limits.

Samuel hobbled along after Darrow to the next task. While the young speedster wanted to take a moment to scroll through his phone, Darrow smacked his hand. “No phones.” He stated emphatically.
The next skill Darrow taught Michaud was how to cook for oneself. Many may not know this yet, but Cassius Darrow is a skilled and accomplished cook. He put the rookie through his paces in the kitchen, stressing the importance of being able to take care of oneself nutritionally. One bad meal out can waste tons of money and throw off your entire routine and health.

“No more McIceburgs food for you. Do better. Your metabolism won’t cancel out bad choices forever. Train hard, eat well, and enrich your mind.”

The first two elements met, Darrow then taught Michaud his final tip. Darrow is an avid reader of all things, and tries to spend at least 90 minutes a day reading things. In the apartment he and Alexander Selich @Tomen share, Darrow has devoted an entire room to his expansive book collection. He also has memberships to two different local libraries, to help give him ALL THE BOOKS. He also shares one of the few splurges he’s committed to over the years.

“I’m not much for technology… but I love my e-reader. Great purchase. Real books are great; you can never replace them, but not having to run to the library everytime I want to borrow a book.”

The week continued this way, Samuel trying to keep up with Darrow’s meals, physical workouts, and mental exertion. By the end of the week, Michaud was exhausted and regretting his mentor pair; Darrow was too intense for his liking.

More like "Michaud didnt want to make the old man feel old" that seems like a good summary from my perspective.

Since I have been in this league for some time now - I feel like I have a lot to offer, I did not have to think twice when an opportunity to be part of this program came up. I chose young center Jakub Bruchevski ( @JaytheGreat ) to come and hang out with me. He is a Russian kid going towards SHL career, I´m from Finland, so I have a decent understanding on what could be going on inside his head - our nations are close to each other in more than few ways.

The first thing I wanted to talk with Jakub is the mental side, the game of hockey is at least 50% mental - need to be aware all the time. To demonstrate the importance of that, I took him out to get a cup of coffee. When he got the cup on his hand - I checked him. Coffee went flying all over the place and I could see Jakub was not pleased when I said to him: keep your head up all the time, but that is how you learn.

The second lesson is more on what happens off the ice, always come early. It´s what professionals do. The opportunity to teach Jakub that lesson came when he staid in my place over the night one day, I changed the time on his phone and watch to show 30 minutes ahead of real-time when he was sleeping. Then in the morning I stormed in and woke him up: we are late, get up get up. He quickly put clothes on and ran downstairs where I told him there is no rush. The look on his face was priceless, especially when I had nothing planned for that morning anyway, but I think he got the message and makes sure he is always on time.

Overall, our time together went well, I was able to share some valuable thoughts and I think Jakub was happy to hear them out. I have full confidence he will be an excellent SHL player in the future!

PBE PT

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

08-21-2019, 12:19 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: More like "Michaud didnt want to make the old man feel old" that seems like a good summary from my perspective.

Darrow is 22.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

PBE PT

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

08-21-2019, 05:58 PMhhh81 Wrote:
08-21-2019, 12:19 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: More like "Michaud didnt want to make the old man feel old" that seems like a good summary from my perspective.

Darrow is 22.

Still old don't @me

When it comes to Jax Aittokallio, it's hard to really choose somebody to connect with. The Rage have no prospects, and his time with Anchorage is so far in the rearview that nobody he played with is still on the team.

Ultimately, it becomes a very difficult process to find somebody that will actually understand the plight of Jax and whom Jax could understand and relate to.

Then it dawned on him ... being that he is a second-generation player in the SHL, he should align to support the other second generation player Andrey Barbashev II. While Andrey never quite reached the success of Jax's father and brother, he was still a very highly rated player who was among the best for a few seasons, topping out with 50 points in S29 and having hit 39+ in six straight seasons from S27-S33.

Andrey is going to have big shoes to fill, but has to understand how to manage those kinds of expectations. You have to set yourself apart from the beginning, and show that you are committed to working out from the shadow of your father to become a star in your own right. If you're committed, and you don't fall into the traps of the media who can at times press too much about your family ties, you will be successful. It's not something most players in the SHL will understand, but it's taxing being hampered so heavily by these expectations. However, you'll do great!

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

For the Big Brother Mentorship Program, Nick Brain chose ex-teammate Teddy Nuggets (@mtorino ), a forward from the Colorado Raptors (Nick's old junior team). Teddy is a 4th line plug who is known for having a great deal of on-ice luck, making up for a lack of natural ability with uncanny positioning. Nick saw potential in Teddy to be a spare roster filler player in the Show, so he took Teddy under his wing to show him the ropes. Nick taught Teddy many useful things, such as how to help the equipment manager sharpen everyone's skates, how to pick up the team dinner tab with all his unused contract money so the veterans can spend their cash on experimental military-grade drugs training, and various tips to clear on and off-ice practise drills. One such drill involved Teddy acting as a human pylon while Nick skated rings around him. Unfortunately, Teddy broke the drill rules and poke checked Nick several times, thus rendering him worse at being a pylon than Andrew Hawkins.

Overall, Teddy did better than could be expected and is clearly ready for a role as a 10th or 11th forward for any SHL team that wants him. Big Dick Nick is really hoping that SHL team ends up being Winnipeg........

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332