Create Account

Lyle Odelein III's farewell to St. Louis

We are back here with Lyle Odelein III, when we last left off Lyle had to leave to take a phone call, a call that informed him that he would be leaving the city he has called home for the past 3 seasons and the team that drafted him, the St. Louis Scarecrows. Lyle has prepared a statement that he has asked to read, so at this time I will pass it over to player who has worn the Scarecrow colours with pride, and for the previous two seasons, proudly wore an ‘A’ on his jersey…

Lyle: Sorry for running out early the other day, that was a call that I had been very excited to get! When New Orleans selected me in the SHL draft I couldn’t have been happier, they’ve got such a great team, from the management side to each of the players on the roster, I’m a lucky guy.  But none of this would have been possible if it hadn’t been for the two of the greatest GMs in SMJHL history, @Nictox and @TML99. I remember the very first conversation I had with Nictox, I was so new to all of this, Nictox had reached out to me prior to the SMJHL draft to welcome me to the league, and I reached out to thank him for that, having no idea he was even a GM in the league and that is when he asked me if I’d be interested in joining the Scarecrows.  Of course I said yes, I mean, they had just won their 3rd Four Star Cup in a row, this was definitely an organization I would love to be involved with.  When the draft started, I really had no idea where I’d end up, but when my name got called at the end of the 2nd round, 18th overall, and I saw that beauty St. Louis logo with the announcement, I was a very happy dude!  

From that day, my goal was to show TML99 and Nictox that they picked the right player.  With my fellow draftees, Mika Kandinsky @Mika_Kandinsky and Barrett Blackwood @MrStennett, we joined this team that had been dominate for the past three seasons and with players like Michael Fox @FuzzSHL, Gordie Boomhover @gordieboom and Charlie Serpe @Serpe x 13.  S47 followed the current trend for the Crows, we won the Laurifier trophy with Foxy, Gordie and Serpe leading the way.  These three guys were the captains of the Crows, and they led by example.  Each one of them helped me out tremendously as a rookie, who really didn’t know what I was supposed to be doing.  Nicolaj Muller @esilverm and Noah Gallagher @fever95 were also a huge part of helping me ease into the league, both of these guys were always there to answer any questions I had, all of this confirmed that I had been drafted by the best possible team.

After a very disappointing loss in the playoffs, we lost Fox, Boomhover, Serpe and Gallagher to the SHL.  It was tough to see some of the guys who lead the team leave.  When I was asked to fill in on the leadership side of things, it was another very obvious answer for me, I had the chance to try and give the next round of Crow rooks the same support and help that I was given.  With Nicolaj leading the way as captain, Mika and I took the A’s with pride.  I thought I had been lucky before, but to be paired with these two players, guys who had so much skill on the ice and so much support and knowledge in the locker room, it was a perfect situation for me.  We welcomed in some solid players to the team that draft, Jakub Bruchevski @JaytheGreat and Noah Brusky @BrewskyBoy are two the I want to call out specifically.  You guys stepped right into the locker room and immediately fit right in, you two were the steals of the draft in my eyes.  We won our second Laurifier trophy (for me) that year, but then had another very disappointing playoff run, that was a hard pill to swallow.  But we never lost what we always had, faith in each other and the Crows as a whole.

This past offseason, we had another solid draft, grabbing guys like Yamamoto Mitshuaru @TML99, James Ronlain @Rankle, Aron Herndadivic @jfisherr, Flash Gordon @twerkin4jesus, Sasha Dangelcheck @acdangel and Shiqua Vitalievich @NylarthePhoenix.  We had a lot of picks this draft, and I knew once I met these players, the future for the Crows was looking bright.  We had a very tough season though, but showed how we could battle back in our first round playoff matchup.  That series showed me the type of rookies we had, these guys fought hard and really came together as a team.  We lost to Kelowna the next round, but after we did loss, I was very thankful for the effort the team put forward, this St. Louis Scarecrow line up may have not won the Laurifier trophy or made it to the Four Star Cup finals but again, I knew the future was looking bright in St. Louis.

I wasn’t too sure if this would be my last season as a Crow, so I made sure I enjoyed every moment of it, just like I had been doing the previous 2 seasons.  This team and city were home to me, I was welcomed in with open arms since day one.  It was bittersweet when I got the word that I’d be joining the Specters next season, it was the ultimate goal for me to make it to the big leagues,  but it wasn’t until I knew it was happen that I realized that I would be leaving the place I called home for the last three seasons.  I have made a lot of friends here in St. Louis, it’s going to be tough to line up against them when we are on opposite sides of the ice in the SHL.  

Nicolaj @esilverm, you are a friggin’ rockstar.  You have led the entire league in points for the past two seasons and you’ve lead this team as a captain as well.  You are exactly what a captain should be a leader on and off the ice and thank you for scarecrow noises, I'll never get sick of those sweet, sweet sounds.  Mika @Mika_Kandinsky, you are a fierce competitor and an amazing teammate, getting drafted in the same class as you helped me out so much, you were always on top of everything and I learned a lot from your dedication and drive.  Barrett @MrStennett, you showed the entire league what you can do this season on the top line, I have no doubt you’ll take an even bigger step in leading this team next season.  

Noah @BrewskyBoy, getting the chance to be your defensive partner has been nothing short of amazing.  You are such a solid player and what you do for the team and the league off the ice is something everyone should strive for.  Jakub @JaytheGreat, it has been a pleasure playing with you, you are another reason I can leave St. Louis knowing that you are here to help lead the way.

To the rooks, I said it earlier but I want to say it again, you guys the future for this team and I know that you will all be superstars and can’t wait to see which SHL teams are lucky enough to snag you in the upcoming SHL draft.  I’m hoping that a couple of you might find your way down the New Orleans and we get the chance to skate together sooner than later!

I’m leaving St. Louis having not won a Four Star Cup for the city, that hurts.  I had hoped that I would be able to help the team win yet another cup but that wasn’t in the cards.  My time here has been unbelievable, I had no idea what to expect when I joined the league, what I found was a league and a  team that was there to help me every step of the way.  Thanks again to @Nictox and @TML99 for taking a chance on me, you guys have been great since day one can’t thank you enough for that.  Kick some ass next season Crows, I’ll definitely be around and watching you guys succeed.

Well, there it is, Lyle Odelein III has left the building.  Thanks for reading and look for more to come as Lyle gets ready to gear up for the New Orleans Specters in S50!

Word count - 1457

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Best of luck in the big leagues!

Scarecrows

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]

Really sad to see you leave my friend but I can't wait to watch you tear up the SHL. You are great leader and I hope you stay around the locker room.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]   [Image: B4x6AQm.png]
Scarecrows Russia Wolfpack

Rest In Peace Dangel

1st SHL Goal - S52 Game 1 vs Tampa 3. New England Wolfpack , Jakub Bruchevski 1 (Eko Van Otter 1, Delver Fudgeson 2) at 8:10

Scarecrows Platoon Russia

[Image: F4iUWyS.png]