Create Account

S50 PT #4 - Skills Competition

So I guess someone screwed up. Maybe it was the whole John Scott thing a few years back but the fans decided to vote me into the all star game having yet to be called up to the SHL. As a joke they boys decided that I would be participating in the accuracy shooting competition which is hilarious since I cant hit the broad side of a barn. To train I did the conventional thing and set up a shooter tutor in the back of the rink on a net. I probably too a few hundred extra shots a day doing my best to be ready for the skills competion. I also used a weighted stick some of the days to work on hand speed and strength (this was stupid, don’t do this). In the end, nothing helped. I hit one target and most of my shots barely dribbled on target, but it was a good time.

When Jack Wilson got the call to participate in the most accurate shot competition, the Rocky music started playing in his head. He knew that to establish himself in the SHL he needed to make a splash at the highest level and to do that he needed to win the competition. So Jack decided that every day after his normal training he would devote an hour to just his shot. He did all the normal training exercises, goal net, breaking plates in the corners, he even had his goalie in Lethbridge stand in net while Wilson clapped bombs top shelf. But he realized he needed something with more risk. He had all of his teammates from Lethbridge line up in a line and put an apple on the top of their heads. Over the many nervous looks and complaints of his teammates, Wilson stood at the blue line and started to hammer pucks at the unsuspecting fruits. After getting through this without concussing any of his teammates, Wilson feels confident about what is to come in the skill competition.

[Image: 4bGW0Vw.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019, 10:57 AM by OrbitingDeath.)

Written Option #2: For one of the above competitions, what one player would you bet on to win it? Why are you picking them - what makes you think they have the best chance to take home the hardware?

The fastest skater award will definitly go to Rainbow Dash. As not many people know, Dash is not on ordinary hockey player. But he also performs in an aerial acrobatics and demonstration squad named the Wonderbolts. Due to his natural ability to basically fly over the ice he has an unfair advantage over all the other contestants in this competition. With speeds unmatched by any human physics this will not even be a challenge for this pony, uhm skater. (I'm not sure if we are allowed to reveal the secret identity of Rainbow Dash).

I would be very surprised if others were able to match the speed that is brought to the competition and I really think no other contestants will even show up if they here Dash being entered. After all, no one wants to look like a fool that will be outpaced by atleast thrice the speed of the losers. I'm betting my annual salary on this one!

@Eggy216

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Robert Phelps was selected to compete in the most accurate shot competition prior to the all-star game this season. He hasn't been known for his shooting in the past, but he recently started training with a new coach that focuses more on the offensive side of the puck and it shows this season as he's at 18 goals with 9 games left to play. If he can manage another 5 goals in those 9 games he can beat his personal record for goals in a season. I didn't need to do much to prepare for the competition, just the same pre-game routine that I would normally do. I would practice moving the puck around on my stick, catching and hitting it out of the air, and taking some shots on net. Getting a good feel for the puck before the competition was a big focus and definitely helped prepare me for it.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

For the fasted skater skills comp, I would have to bet on myself because I'm narcissistic and vain. I'm picking myself because I'm so sick, I glide on the ice like butter in a hot pan, all sizzly and moving around slippery, sliding around the pan as if it's a skater skating on the ice, in this case, me on the ice. My flow is so smooth, you look around when I'm skating, it's like everyone else is skating in slow motion, that's how fast I am. I actually just bend the laws of physics and time, and change my nickname to the flash because that's how fast I am. New England's green but I need to find a team with red and yellow colours because I'm changing my uniform to match that superhero except now that superhero is gonna copy me because I'm probably even faster than that guy is. I don't even want to race in this competition now, I'm just gonna find the flash and race him.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

All-Star Piotr Horvat. What a weird sentence. With such a limited skills competition list, and how useless those skills are, Piotr would be ill prepared for any of them. Being forced to choose one of those Piotr would have to take the fastest skater competition. In preparation for this he has had to change his entire training program. Usually one to work on being hard to move, and making strong strides, he now has to focus on moving quickly, which is the opposite of everything he has ever done.
He has been working with teammates like Conklin Owen who have years of experience avoiding the hit, and moving quickly. He has picked up quite a few new tricks, but who knows if it will really help. There is only one way to really find out, and everyone should be excited to see what Piotr can do. In the end, it’s going to be a wild ride.

[Image: horvat3.png]

The four skaters who I would pick for the most accurate shot would be pretty easy, all things considered. Mika Kandinsky, Noah Konn, Piotr Czerkawski, and DeMaricus Smyth. Why, you may ask? Let's go over these players one by one and see why. Mika Kandinsky is a rookie forward who is breaking records by scoring 23 goals, tied for second in the league. That by itself is so amazing that he has to be there to showcase his talents. Noah Konn is leading the league in scoring with 25 goals, so he clearly deserves to be on this, no question at all. Piotr Czerkawski is also tied with Mika Kandinsky in scoring with 23 goals, and with a shooting percentage of almost 15%, he knows where to put the biscuit to get it in the basket. Finally we have DeMaricus Smyth, who is fourth in scoring an a teammate of Czerkawski, and it would be fun to see them have a playful rivalry to see who has the most accurate shot. I would have put Nicholas Williams but Smyth has 20 goals and 37 points, so clearly it is about the goals for him.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

To prepare for the most accurate shot competition Wilson would be trying to remember how he shot the put about 10 seasons ago. He used to have one of the best shots in the league, so if that would return it would be ideal and potentially allow him to win. Unfortunately, it is incredibly difficult if not impossible to reverse aging so this will never happen. So to do this he will be taking some time after practice to work on picking his corners. It is a safe bet that Wilson would not do that well in this competition. However, it is a lot easier to retain the ability to shoot accurately than hard, so maybe he won't have completely lost it. He will be there as a token old man in a feel good story to cap off the career, so another possibility is that the young guys just let him have this one.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

Already here's my ideal set of four contestants for the most accurate shooter competition. 1. Dick Clapper - NEW @5ympathies - dick clapper is lethal with the snipes and is an absolute fan favorite in New England. Would be awesome to see him get a bigger platform on center stage where he can get the worldwide recognition he deserves. Guy Zheng @goldenglutes will have to be brought in for the event as well to stand beside dick, dick can't seem to get up without his mate around. 2. Jonas Larsen - SFP @DaftRaincloud - Larsen had an unbelievable shooting performance in the SMJHL and led the league in shooting percentage by a lottttttttt one season (either S48 or S49 i forget). Though he's young, he undoubtedly has the skills to shine in this competition. 3. Jimmy Slothface - NOR @slothfacekilla Slothy is another league-wide fan favorite and ranks in the top 10 in shooting percentage this year. He's been said to move a lot slower than others, with an almost sloth-like rhythm, but if he can snipe those targets he might fare well. 4. Julio Tokolosh - EDM @Julio Tokolosh - PUT. THE. COW. IN. EVERY. EVENT. EVERY EVENT!!!!!!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

PBE PT Claim

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Kevin Robinson was not lucky enough to be selected for the all star skills competition this year. No real surprise, as Robinson is not even playing in the SHL yet. However, if he was able to compete, he would be showing his shooting ability off in the accuracy shooting competition. While a good shooter already, Robinson would definitely need to have some tune ups to win. Kevin be in some luck, being able to get ice time freely at the practice facility. Setting up targets would be the easiest way to improve and get a feel for picking the corners. A big part of it that people do not think about is catching passes. You can really get into a rhythm with a catch and shoot, that will help you get a better score than otherwise able to. Obviously this will not happen if you cannot cleanly catch a pass.

[Image: 7ICBY0z.png]
[Image: 15Ng51w.png]

Written Option #2: For one of the above competitions, what one player would you bet on to win it? Why are you picking them - what makes you think they have the best chance to take home the hardware? (150+ words)

I would have to select Esa Parmborg @Steelhead77 for the fastest skater competition. I don't believe Esa to be the fastest skater in the league but I doubt you could find someone with more determination than him. Especially if a delicious Chicken Parm is Placed at the finish line. Coming in at 7 feet tall and 350 pounds, Parmborg often surprises people with how quickly he can get from one side of the rink to the other. Last thing a player wants to see is a 7 ft tall 350 pound giant barreling towards them. Luckily for those poor souls Esa has yet to really develop his checking game. This shouldn't be a difficult task for Esa either as I am sure it will only take a couple of strides to go 200ft. Parmborg is experiencing his first season in the SHL this year having spend his last 4 season with the Halifax Raiders. This only means his skating will continue to improve making him even more of a threat in season to come!

S52 "A" Alternate Captain of the Calgary Dragons
"GM" - Former Prince George Firebirds and Regina Force General Manager
"C" - Former Captain of the Halifax Raiders
S48 Brandon Holmes Trophy Recipient - Top Defensive Forward

FirebirdsScarecrowsraiders - TimberGrizzliesArmadaCanadaDragonsBlizzardStars - PlatoonSpecters
Davos Otasrob Player Page
Davos Otasrob Player Updates

Imagine, the SHL is hosting the first Skills Competition. With it, they announce the showcasing players, but due to a misfiling of a player, the SHL announces that Jean-Paul Boivin of the Edmonton Blizzards will be participating in the "Best shootout goalie" competition. Problem is, Jean-Paul is a left-winger in the juniors. Now Jean had two options, argue that he should be placed in his proper competition or just roll with it. Jean tried the former, but he had to settle for the latter. Now never being a goalie, Jean-Paul talked to EDM management to help him out. He got the basics of goaltending from Tommy Tuck, but Boivin knew he wouldn't win out there. He just didn't want to be made a fool. He spent weeks putting time between the pipes, and he learned the most every Saturday night. Jean-Paul, through the use of his many people skills, was able to enlist the help of Former Whalers, Jax Duggan @SecondSucks22, Dale Miller  @dmills3, Aaron Wilson @aaronwilson, and others that I can't remember to have mock shootouts with him. Really, he just said, "Hey want to come pelt me with pucks for a few hours?" It is reported that Jax actually sprinted to the airport at the call. Once game time happened, Jean-Paul performed about as well as one would expect. He finished last, but most said it wasn't a bad showing all things considered. Jax offered to help him some more if he wanted to transition.

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Written Option #2: For one of the above competitions, what one player would you bet on to win it? Why are you picking them - what makes you think they have the best chance to take home the hardware? (150+ words)

For the fastest skater, you know my boy Luke Thomason. The guy is just the quickest thing on ice when he gets going. Thomason is able to speed past defenders on the ice and just make them look like they aren’t even moving. Thomason seems to get a breakaway almost every game because he is just so fast against the other team’s top defensemen and forwards. Also, I’ve gotten the honor of skating with Thomason every day and get to see him work on his speed and show it off. None of the other players have the explosiveness that Thomason has wrong starting standing still to getting to top speed. Thomason also is able to keep his speed going while making sharp turns and is also able to stop on a dime whenever needed. Thomason is just a pure skater at heart and is one of the fastest in the league When picking someone to be able to win the fastest skater competition I’m always going to choose the fantastic Luke Thomason.

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

Code:
Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

I choose the Fastest Skater Competition. As Michael "The Augment" Izzy has stated, he is one of just 23 SHL players who have 99 skating and he has done so through hard work and good genes. So, of course, Michael Izzy would be the first player I select for this competition as he is just genetically blessed and will not only be a participant here but he will be the favourite as few players are so good like him.

Next I will choose Dermot Lavelle, Buffalo Stampede forward. Dermot has 99 skating and is therefore another very good player who can skate very well. He has shown that he is so good at skating throughout his long career with the Stampede and when he is put on such a grand stage I can only imagine we will knock it out of the park, Barry Bonds.

Next we have Cameron Carter II. The SHL Michael Jordan, this guy is just so good and the best player in the league according to one man named Boomcheck. Honestly, he really should have won a few MVP awards by now so this will really be his chance to tell everyone that they are wrong to underrate him. !boom

Finally, we have GOD McZehrl, who is clearly genetically blessed like the others. He comes from a bloodline that includes Vlad and Chris! Now that is some pedigree. He recently became a forward after being one of the best defensemen in the league, which just shows how good he is at hockey.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]