Create Account

Remove defense from weakness options?

We spend a fair bit of time convincing people that defense is too important to have as a weakness and we have to walk new players through fixing builds with it there. So why have it as an option? Thoughts?

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

i mean are there any players that legit have a defense weakness in the SHL?

This is a great idea

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Player archetypes need a major overhaul. This is a good starting point though.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

This would restrict the creativity of builds. Yes, rookies are advised that they shouldn't have defense as a weakness but that doesn't mean we should remove the possibility of having it as a weakness ever

[Image: creller_dragons.png]

10-23-2019, 10:15 AMMook Wrote: This would restrict the creativity of builds. Yes, rookies are advised that they shouldn't have defense as a weakness but that doesn't mean we should remove the possibility of having it as a weakness ever

It really wouldn't restrict much of anything from a creativity standpoint. You can count on one hand the number of defense-weakness builds in the SHL, and all of them are inactive fillers averaging less than a minute per game (assuming they play at all). Any player who stays active and starts with defense weakness eventually sees how damning it is and burns their free strength/weakness change on it. I'm all for build variety and typically push against suggestions like "Kill the enforcer build!" but removing defense as a weakness would have zero impact on variety and would only make for better start-of-life experience for end users.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 11:10 AM by WannabeFinn.)

10-23-2019, 10:15 AMMook Wrote: This would restrict the creativity of builds. Yes, rookies are advised that they shouldn't have defense as a weakness but that doesn't mean we should remove the possibility of having it as a weakness ever
Having low defense doesn’t make your build creative, it just makes it bad. It isn’t like Checking, Fighting, Faceoffs, Scoring/Passing/Skating balance. Attributes that actually make your build creative and distinct.

lets just address the early elephant in the room that build creativity is actually a thing on this site. There is NO BUILD CREATIVITY ON THIS SITE. At all. Look at the SHL almost every god damn player has the same build give or take Passing > Scoring or vice versa, or high checking vs low checking. Build diversity and creativity is not some high point of this league that needs to be protected, I’d argue it’s maybe this league’s lowest point.

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 11:17 AM by WannabeFinn.)

I would also like to add that most users choosing a stat like Defense as their weakness have zero clue about the importance of the attribute in relation to their build, so this is more about preventing mistakes made out of ignorance than restricting creativity. Nobody who actually has any grasp of STHS would choose defense as their weakness for the sake of being creative.

I think that we should remove checking as a weakness

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

10-23-2019, 11:18 AMluketd Wrote: I think that we should remove checking as a weakness

One step at a time here bud lol

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

10-23-2019, 11:24 AMDrunkenTeddy Wrote:
10-23-2019, 11:18 AMluketd Wrote: I think that we should remove checking as a weakness

One step at a time here bud lol

Only make PS, fighting, strength, and durability as the strengths people can choose

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

10-23-2019, 11:24 AMluketd Wrote:
10-23-2019, 11:24 AMDrunkenTeddy Wrote: One step at a time here bud lol

Only make PS, fighting, strength, and durability as the strengths people can choose
Hell yeah Luke let’s meme in suggestion threads

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 11:30 AM by HabsFanFromOntario.)

This makes me want to try a weakness defense build

Edit:

But seriously, this makes a lot of sense. No reason to have it on the list of options.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 11:30 AM by WannabeFinn.)

10-23-2019, 11:28 AMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: This makes me want to try a weakness defense build
Stonks through the cellar floor