Create Account

Graphics Grade Scale
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2020, 05:00 PM by Mook.)

Can we please bring back the 10 point scale or a 7 point scale for graphic grading. This 5 point scale is fucking ridiculous. Sigs that are borderline 4's are getting 3s and sigs that are borderline 2s are getting 3s. The gap in skill required between those two levels are much more and 1 point.

Prime example of why the sig scale needs to be tweaked, even to a 7 or 10 points scale.

[Image: jv36pU0.png]

[Image: 5kWCa4I.png]

One of these sigs is a 4/5, one is a 3/5. and if you thought the top was the 4/5, you are mistaken. A 7 or 10 point scale would alleviate the very large blurred lines between a 2, 3 and a 4.

Please discuss.

[Image: creller_dragons.png]

I agree with you mook, albeit I was inactive when they changed it and never saw the reasoning.

Although at the lower end this makes it way easier to quickly throw together four 1/5's a week for easy cash, seeing as the lowest grade is better than before.

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

01-29-2020, 05:08 PMFlappyGiraffe Wrote: Although at the lower end this makes it way easier to quickly throw together four 1/5's a week for easy cash, seeing as the lowest grade is better than before.

Not gonna lie, that seems like a downside not an upside.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

For grading, is there a baseline scale of what is looked for in order to assign "grades"? You say the top image of Ethan is not a 4/5, but I would argue otherwise.

Each artist here has their own style and vision on how they do signatures and artwork. Unless there's very hard and black & white details on what is required (which there may be and I just haven't seen it yet)...we're asking graders to put away personal preference and then compare Warhol to Picasso.

01-29-2020, 05:11 PMGeekusoid Wrote: For grading, is there a baseline scale of what is looked for in order to assign "grades"?  You say the top image of Ethan is not a 4/5, but I would argue otherwise.
He's saying the bottom piece was actually graded a 4/5 and the one of Ethan was graded a 3/5.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

01-29-2020, 05:14 PMsve7en Wrote:
01-29-2020, 05:11 PMGeekusoid Wrote: For grading, is there a baseline scale of what is looked for in order to assign "grades"?  You say the top image of Ethan is not a 4/5, but I would argue otherwise.
He's saying the bottom piece was actually graded a 4/5 and the one of Ethan was graded a 3/5.

Gotcha.

@hewasajazzman And I had this conversation with regards to hockey card grading scale, and how the current system does nothing to encourage people to want to continue, and clearly the regular system isn’t any better. Graphics are always going to be subjective to some extent, but come on

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Both look like 3/5 tbh

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Also moving the scale from 5 to 10 would just make these situations happen more often. "This got a 6 but that got a 7 and this is clearly better"

If anything we would go to a lower point system. Like 3. 1-meh, 2-good, 3-excellent

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

01-29-2020, 05:34 PM.bojo Wrote: Also moving the scale from 5 to 10 would just make these situations happen more often. "This got a 6 but that got a 7 and this is clearly better"

If anything we would go to a lower point system. Like 3. 1-meh, 2-good, 3-excellent

Fix your box

01-29-2020, 04:59 PMMook Wrote: Can we please bring back the 10 point scale or a 7 point scale for graphic grading. This 5 point scale is fucking ridiculous. Sigs that are borderline 4's are getting 3s and sigs that are borderline 2s are getting 3s. The gap in skill required between those two levels are much more and 1 point.

Prime example of why the sig scale needs to be tweaked, even to a 7 or 10  points scale.

[Image: jv36pU0.png]

[Image: 5kWCa4I.png]

One of these sigs is a 4/5, one is a 3/5. and if you thought the top was the 4/5, you are mistaken. A 7 or 10 point scale would alleviate the very large blurred lines between a 2, 3 and a 4.

Please discuss.

I worked really hard on that sig Cry

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

A 10 point scale might be a little overkill, but after some thought, a 6 point scale could be better for it. I'm not sure how it would apply to cards or banners but for sigs something needs to be tweaked. I went with a 6 point scale in order to keep the payouts the same, if we went with a 7 point scale, upping the max payout to 1.5M would be needed, but only paid for things that would make VHL cream themselves.

1 - Render, text, stocks all present, nothing else really done to it, 50k
2- User is learning the basics of creating graphics and effort was made to use stocks/effects. 250k
3 - Surpassed beginner knowledge 500k
4- Effective use of tools, 750k
5- Advanced knowledge, etc etc 1M
6- Cream of the crop yadda yadda 1.25M

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2020, 06:31 PM by Mook.)

01-29-2020, 06:23 PMWeretarantula Wrote: I worked really hard on that sig Cry

I'm not saying it is a bad sig, that is not the point of this post. I tried finding a good example that magnifies an error in the grading system and that happened to fit the bill. I did not want to call out graphics graders or say people didn't work hard on their sigs. It has long been noted that the graphics team should not take into consideration how hard someone worked and the amount of time put into it, because they just don't know. All they see is the final product and have to grade purely off of what they see on their screen

01-29-2020, 05:24 PM39alaska39 Wrote: the current system does nothing to encourage people to want to continue

THIS.

Unless you are one of the graphics gods making similar styled graphics to the usual 5's there is really no point to doing graphics here.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2020, 07:03 PM by puolivalmiste.)

Graders already can and do give out bonuses (and half grades) so increasing number of grades doesn't really solve anything that couldn't be done with current system.

Though I agree that effort to payout ratio for sigs makes them pretty bad way to make money for average user.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me