Create Account

Force SMJHL teams to cut IA's to sign DFAs

I want to start this by saying I got lucky. My buddy @nour is GM of a team and I reached out to him and he picked me up. I'm lucky to get the 1M and get to be part of a team and everything. It's fun to be in the LR. Many of my classmates are not so lucky. We have active players who are not allowed to play for teams because they are full. The league is going to lose active players if we don't figure this out. I'm a veteran of sim leagues - I know the deal. Having players sit around and not get paid AND not get a spot on a team is awful. At the least lets pay the guys who can't find teams.

In a league where not everyone makes the playoffs, I can’t see the GMs being okay with this proposal.

IMO just allow DFAs to sign with teams while not requiring them to be rostered. Just get them a DFA paycheck and access to a locker room.

Basically, I think if you want a pragmatic solution you’re going to have to sacrifice DFA ice time.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

04-25-2020, 09:21 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: In a league where not everyone makes the playoffs, I can’t see the GMs being okay with this proposal.

IMO just allow DFAs to sign with teams while not requiring them to be rostered. Just get them a DFA paycheck and access to a locker room.

Basically, I think if you want a pragmatic solution you’re going to have to sacrifice DFA ice time.

That's also fine with me - but IA's shouldn't be the lifeblood of the league. The SMJHL shouldn't matter compared to keeping people active. But your proposal is way better than the way it is.

Expand!

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

I was one who joined at a bad time, playoffs had just started and was in that exact situation! Very long and at some point and became boring. Although a good suggestion, but I don't think a payoff will keep them waiting around. Why not just expand rosters to unlimited for these FDA's.

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

04-25-2020, 09:23 PMiamslm22 Wrote:
04-25-2020, 09:21 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: In a league where not everyone makes the playoffs, I can’t see the GMs being okay with this proposal.

That's also fine with me - but IA's shouldn't be the lifeblood of the league. The SMJHL shouldn't matter compared to keeping people active. But your proposal is way better than the way it is.

This touches on the most important thing the J stands for, in my eyes - keeping people active. Everyone wants to win a Cup during their J career, but not everyone who signs up before the draft has a chance to sign with a competitor. If a team is running multiple IFA's, and there are people looking for a team as a new create, there should be a) a mandatory signing of a DFA over an IFA, and b) some kind of incentive for a team to sign the DFA (doesn't count against their cap) and keep a new player active in the league until the draft.

If you go the "well we signed you, but you don't get ice time" route, it's better than a new guy sitting there with his thumb up his ass wondering why he isn't hearing from any team. This is even more true when it comes to reddit drafts and the dozens/multiple dozens who sign up before we're ready to draft.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

DFAs probably can't make more than 20 tpe by the end of the playoffs. Seems odd to force them to play and cut a spot for them if they aren't guaranteed to come back

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

As one of these rookies who unfortunately will most likely not find a team to chill with before the draft I think this is a great idea, but I wouldn’t want to ruin league parity by forcing teams to have to let go of valuable assets in order to draft a sub par player. I personally like the idea of making unlimited pre-draft free agent slots better as it doesn’t hurt teams and will give us a place to chat and get to know the league and it’s users better.

04-25-2020, 09:35 PMwumaduce Wrote:
04-25-2020, 09:23 PMiamslm22 Wrote: That's also fine with me - but IA's shouldn't be the lifeblood of the league. The SMJHL shouldn't matter compared to keeping people active. But your proposal is way better than the way it is.

This touches on the most important thing the J stands for, in my eyes - keeping people active. Everyone wants to win a Cup during their J career, but not everyone who signs up before the draft has a chance to sign with a competitor. If a team is running multiple IFA's, and there are people looking for a team as a new create, there should be a) a mandatory signing of a DFA over an IFA, and b) some kind of incentive for a team to sign the DFA (doesn't count against their cap) and keep a new player active in the league until the draft.

If you go the "well we signed you, but you don't get ice time" route, it's better than a new guy sitting there with his thumb up his ass wondering why he isn't hearing from any team. This is even more true when it comes to reddit drafts and the dozens/multiple dozens who sign up before we're ready to draft.

Exactly. The point of the J is retention. Winning is a blast obviously - everyone wants to win for sure. Maybe every DFA you pick up you get a supplemental draft pick? Something like that?

DFAs as it is aren’t guaranteed any ice time whatsoever. I’ve been signed to Detroit since Monday and didn’t draw into the lineup until today. The only reason we have people going teamless right now is because SMJHL rules dictate that DFAs be rostered. We have a hard cap on roster numbers.

Allow DFAs to waive their right to being rostered. They can then get that 1m pay and access to the locker room.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

04-25-2020, 09:56 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: DFAs as it is aren’t guaranteed any ice time whatsoever. I’ve been signed to Detroit since Monday and didn’t draw into the lineup until today. The only reason we have people going teamless right now is because SMJHL rules dictate that DFAs be rostered. We have a hard cap on roster numbers.

Allow DFAs to waive their right to being rostered. They can then get that 1m pay and access to the locker room.

There would be 0 downsides to doing this. Come on HO.

Would happily sign more DFAs if we could get an expanded roster just so they have a home, if they're ok with not being in the sim until next season the 23 man roster in FHM doesn't matter.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

@BadWolf @ml002 @Inf1d3l Lets allow unlimited non roster spots! I see 0 downside
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2020, 10:19 PM by honkerrs.)

what about actual first timers getting priority somehow over recreates just trying to min max if you actually care about retention ?

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

As a DFA who luckily found a home, only to watch the team nose-dive and miss the playoff, I'm not sure the payoff really matters. There is no down-side to giving them the 1M so you might as well expand the roster, but the icetime is key. At the same time it's not fair to eliminate the IAs and mess over teams stuck into the DFA who can barely make any TPE.

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]