Create Account

SHL 10 Year Anniversary - Bonus PT

Code:
words = 255
My favorite memories from being a part of the Simulation Hockey League have been some of the ones that most would probably not think would be their favorite. Yes, winning championships has been amazing, but there was nothing quite like being on a Halifax team that was hooking and jabbing every chance we got to try and improve our team and compete for a championship. We never made it, clearly, but we came close a few times. That locker room, though, was awesome and absolutely made the up and down nature of the SMJHL worth it. Folks like @Flareon and @Citizen of Adraa, @CementHands, @Rublic, @Steelhead77 and @Leoben, just to name a few, made it fun to check out the team discord and to write articles and to just have fun with this entire Simulation Hockey League experience. Without them I probably would have petered out after my initial excitement with the league. And then to have the awesome opportunity to join the Raptors clubhouse and the Edmonton Blizzard has been just icing on the cake. Folks like @hhh81, @Keygan, and @Muford have just reinforced how generally positive an experience this experience has been. It has created personal connections with people (frankly with people that I'll probably never actually meet) that has provided a creative and stress-relieving outlet from the grind of day to day life and has been a support network for me when the worst in real life was going on. For all that, I appreciate SHL.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

My favorite memory here was honestly just finding the site itself.

I used to belong to another online community called SmallBall for almost 2 decades, now the game has died but hockey has always been my #1 sport. Mook was a part of both communities but I had never heard of SHL before 2015. I've tried my hand at a ton of these crappy simulation games online for hockey, hockey-area, PManager etc. None were good. Other sports had fun options and it always drove me nuts that hockey didn't have one and then boom, I found SHL. From SHL I also met Wasty who introduced me into the PHL.

Between the SHL and PHL I've sunk endless hours into this stuff and been going at it since 2015. I did just return a few months ago now to SHL but honestly I'm having more fun just sitting back and playing a long than I ever did before. In my younger years I was always so eager to get involved and would burn myself out. Now I'm a dusty old 29 year old and I'm just glad there's fun online communities like this to be apart of. I think we can all agree to that especially during these unprecedented times.

Cheers everyone

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 09:12 AM by Wally.)

Pretty insane reading through all of these, how a site like this can form as many friendships as it does. I know I have had my ups and downs on this site... competitiveness can absolutely destroy you, even in a sim world. Regardless... I have some pretty amazing moments that I definitely will never forget... Ranking right up with these has been the last season with the Berserker crew... What a blast it has been, but since we are digging into the memory bank... I want to dig a little further back myself here.

5. Squadddd.... Haz, Flem, TML, Cam... I may be missing one here as well... but that Fall and Winter we connected was absolutely one of the best time periods I've had on this site. Even though it lasted only so long... and really some of those friendships fizzled... It is still a memory I hold pretty damn close to me.

4. Being drafted to the Scarecrows in the S30 draft... Here was where the likes of meeting guys like @ligma @TML99 @JKortesi81 @ToeDragon84 @MWHazard @Gooney and many many others. That locker room was the original reason I fell in love with this site.

3. Being named Portland's GM... It was a good memory. Looking back on it, however... It happened too soon. Being an "older" member and very new to the sim sports world, I didn't understand the value of friendships built AND team success. Sure, Portland was successful... However, there were many bridges burned during the process that I regret burning. Doing it over again, many decisions would have been made differently... and I'm not even talking about the cap issues specifically... There are alot of good dudes/dudettes here that I really didn't get a chance to know all that well because of closing the circle that I did. So this is a bittersweet memory.

2. Calgary... I had created Crush Cile as my in between until my other two counter-parts were ready to re-create. Calgary drafted me just to have me as a presence. What they didn't know they were doing was opening me up to a better understanding of what I didn't have perspective in in #3. The camaraderie... While Portland had it's moments... I admired how @Steelhead77 conducted a team with grace and loyalty. It taught me a whole other tier and brought me to respect an leadership role on this site so so so much more. With that came a boatload of friendships with so many more awesome users... and even one of the top 5 meals I've ever had with @BarnabasCollins Smile

1. My gift. I had been going thru a shit ton... My father passing away... Relationship ending with my second son's mother... Stress about a cancer diagnosis of a tumor in my back... literally felt like everything crumbling around me all within about a 4-6 week time frame. I had blocked out so many IRL friends and family and sort of was entrenched into this massive dark hole. One day I was asked for my address... and here came a gift from @ztevans @Pris @.bojo ... a picture of myself and my boys, a couple of Artgo programs and a kind letter. Little do any of them know that that picture is what got me through one of the lowest nights of my life only weeks later, when I came perhaps one decision away to end my struggles. If it wasn't for that picture reminding me what should be most important... I really don't know where I would be.

alright... I guess I have more, but the work day is starting.

[Image: Wally.png]

This place has been a part of my life for two years now. I’m so happy I stumbled upon it. The welcoming community and nerdship shared through almost everyone I’ve met is inspiring. Now to list off a bunch of people I like.
@notorioustig @Mayuu @grok @mcgriddleluver @Snussu I know it was a while ago, but I still see you guys as my brothers, we have lost some along the way, but I feel like you guys know me best.
@TheWoZy @Waters @WannabeFinn @dankoa @karey you guys were great when I first joined. You gave me people to look up too and to tell me how much better is was “back in the day”.

The cudas.....
@JSS @Jepox @MCP_ @Kalakar @sköldpaddor @Noble @"BoucherFan12" @Jenny @ztevans @Pris @jcfbey01 and @XLeafer . We almost had it, until we didn’t. I couldn’t have been more proud of a group of people. Everyone told us we were shit and we got to the finals in spite of that. We nose dived in spectacular fashion, but we out performed everyone’s expectations.

The “new” falcons
This is going to take a while. I have to figure out all your names on here......
@Rangerjase @"Awesomecakes" @Aephino @Mediocre_Fred @"reid_sutherland" @JSS331 @JMacNCheese @Mutedfaith @Murtsi @feeler @leviadan @roastpuff @jeffie43 @lukejm37 you guys literally made me retire and recreate. I thank you for that. Not by your words, but by what an awesome group of guys you are. There’s a shot load of you so I hope I end up with at least one in the shl.

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

I was introduced to this game in around mid-January, so I haven't been around as long as most people, but my favourite memories from my two seasons playing this game have easily been all the connections I've made with other users in my draft class and in my team locker rooms. Both of my drafts, the SMJHL and SHL ones of S52 and S53, were thrilling experiences. Every time a rookie got picked up, their name was immediately pinged by everyone to congratulate them. The rookie class is still pretty active too, with people from different teams still interacting regularly deep into the sophomore season. Being able to see the Whalers locker room revitalized this season after what it was in my rookie season has been a treat to see too, as we have seven active S54 rookies this season and I'm looking forward to seeing them all get drafted! Finally, the most unexpected experience I had and will keep as a memory for a while was being asked to join the Vancouver management team in an advisory role, then being appointed co-GM a week later. It's been a learning experience throughout the entire job as I'm pretty much learning on the fly about how to be an effective SMJHL GM in such a unique league.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

I haven't yet been here long, but I already have a ton of great memories. From trying to start a beef with anchorage, to the outrage we all had in Halifax when Newfie came into the league, this has truly been a roller coaster and wonderful experience. I was happy to have got to win the cup with the SteelHawks when I had no idea what was going on. All I knew was suddenly the website hated me too, but I loved it and steered into it. My favorite moment has to have been though when  Timber blessed me with the C. Naming everyone that was and is a part of my great experience would take an extremely long time as to be honest, most interactions and people on this site have been nothing short of wonderful at all times. I am so happy that I accidentally clicked on this link I saw on Reddit a year ago! I am excited to be moving to the SHL soon, and hope to actually deserve to be a part of the team that hoists the cup, even if the league as a whole would groan if we hoisted it again in Hamilton any time soon!

[Image: sfOMki5.png]

This is only my second season in the SHL, so I’ve been here about 4 months or so. For something that started on a whim from an /r/hockey post, man am I glad that I joined up. I really didn’t know who this whole thing would work and I was certainly confused at first. Even from the SMJHL draft I was sitting at a birthday party anxiously awaiting to see where I would be drafted. Luckily I was drafted by the Detroit Falcons. I can 100% say that this locker room is why I am still around. I am far too lazy to tag every single person in that that locker room (including the Alumni, ex GM’s and JSS who happens to be in every single SHL discord I’m in) but you are all the reason I am still here. To my first SHL Buffalo, thank you for drafting me. I am not being sarcastic or anything, but thank you guys for also being so upfront about dealing me in the trade to Tampa Bay. I was happy to be in Buffalo for a little, but happier now to be with Tampa. All in all, I’m happy to be a member in this league and the community. Can’t wait to see where the career of Zoltan Topalo ends up.

Falcons Falcons Falcons

Barracuda Barracuda Barracuda

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

05-08-2020, 04:04 AMnour Wrote: Really tough to settle on a favourite memory amongst all the great memories I've made on this site, but there's definitely some highlights thus far! I'm going to do this in sections and tag the people who made these memories special

Harrak's Juniors Career

Unfortunately no Four Star but my juniors seasons were what got me as into the league as I am today, big shout outs to @Jenny and @ej27 for drafting me to an awesome Knights Discord, @Mike Izzy and @Clint Eastwood for making the room so fun, @JKortesi81 and @TML99 for trading for me to bring me to an equally fun and lively Crows Discord, and to @TheDangaZone, @cpetrella, @Ace and @bluesfan55 for making me feel right at home as soon as I got there.

Managing Kelowna

THE 3PEAT BABY! To this date some of the most fun I've had on this site getting to make moves GMing, building an LR with people I loved to share time with, and even though it ended in a way I'm embarrassed about from my end, it's a time I still look at fondly. Thanks @Samee for taking a shot on me as a coGM and @Thunder39 for being a great coGM when I became Knights Head GM. ALSO massive shoutout to the dudes who came into the room and made it so vibrant, much love to @CptSquall, @galatix, @mdubz, @ml002, @iamslm22, @Cynthia and @Mack

Managing Detroit

This is a position I take for granted but being a GM is something I absolutely love doing, I'll always love @notorioustig for giving me opportunity to do that again, even when SHL HO stuff bogs me down from being as much of a help as I want to be at times, as well as helping me get closer with guys like @dankoa and @WannabeFinn who are genuinely some really great and funny dudes who can always get a smile out of me. I'd be an absolute moron if I didn't show love to this current crop of Falcons @Murtsi, @feeler, @Fantobens, @Pickle Juice, @leviadan, @Rangerjase, @Aephino, @roastpuff, @Mediocre_Fred, @awesomecakes, @jeffie43, @JSS331, @JMacNCheese, @lukejm37 AND @Mutedfaith. You guys are bar none the best SMJHL LR I've ever seen put together and I'm proud to be your GM. Let's get a cup eh boys?

Steelhawks

This message is for the Steelhawks! I've been in the Steelhawks Discord for 3 years now and I can comfortably say the dudes in there are some of the best guys I know. They're there for me on tough days, they ALWAYS make me laugh, and they're my homies. Loved being able to share a cup with a majority of y'all and love being able to talk to you guys nearly every day. I'll back these dudes up forever. Too many people to tag but for the current roster, @golden_apricot, @mxman991, @awesomecakes (again), @jakub, @Waters, @Hallsy, @Gwdjohnson, @dmills3, @SecondSucks22, @aaronwilson, @notorioustig, @Narconis, @JSS and @DrunkenTeddy, y'all are some unreal dudes. I wouldn't wanna play for anyone else

Generally awesome dudes

TOO MANY to tag but I'll try anyways, I look back really fondly at all the time I got to share with guys outside of the Steelhawks like @cpetrella, @ml002, @Ferda, @FuzzSHL, @luketd, @jakub, @SDCore, @hhh81, @caltroit_red_flames, @GeckoeyGecko, @jeffie43, @nykonax and @artermis. I'm sure there's a TONNNNN more but everything from late nights on a voice chat (various servers), hosting a New Years stream, sharing in HO burdens with, or just being someone to support me in a tough time, you guys have all been just some amazing people I'm beyond thankful to have met.

My Best Friends

My main dudes till the day I die. These guys have transcended the online friend moniker and are just, straight up, my best friends. I talk to them almost EVERY night on Discord, I've shared everything from smiles, anger, sadness, heartbreak, laughter and so much more with these guys. I've even had the privilege of meeting some of them in person! I care about these guys more than I can really put into words, and they're special to me. I hope I never reach a point in my life when I'm not connected to these guys the way I am right now. @Waters, @Gwdjohnson, @Gooney, @Hallsy, @Good_Ole_Kimmy, and even though theyre not active on SHL anymore @adamantium, @Sleepy and @Pris. We make jokes and seemingly never take anything seriously but I mean this, from the bottom of my heart I love you guys. You're some of the most amazing people I've had the pleasure of meeting, genuinely like brothers and sisters to me. Wow you guys mean the world to me.

This was a lot longer than 200 words but I'm honestly kind of emotional tonight and had a lot of love on my heart to share. Thank you for making my time here so special so far, here's to another 10 years everyone!
luv u nour

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

My most memorable moments from my time in the SHL can mainly be summed up by my interactions with a few people who I have been lucky to talk with and spend time with while I have been around. Im not going to tag people because I write these in word and I am not sure what their site names actually are, making tagging difficult, but from the start, my Boat boys have done a great job at making the league fun and enjoyable. Drafted in the second round behind Ferda, I could not have fallen to a better place. The conversations there have been… interesting to say the least at times but it has never stopped being enjoyable as a place to go and chill for a bit and I could not have been more happy to have been offered the co-GM slot this past season.

The other thing that has been memorable is working on the transition with Teddy, how is by far the best member of the site who I have dealt with during my time. It was actually fun to make the files, and test update scales and such, even through at times it was a hassle and time sink.

The site has been nothing but enjoyable and I am excited to continue my time on this site for the foreseeable future.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 08:21 PM by jeffie43.)

Man, where do I even start. It's been a whirlwind of a 2 seasons for good ol' Jack Kanoff. There's so many people to thank for making my experience here that much better. But fuck it, let's kick it in chronological order.

First off, I gotta thank all the Canada homies, @Gwdjohnson @Nokazoa @Briedaqueduc @Kalakar @Ferda @dmills3 @CB2212 @SecondSucks22 @Naosu because I 100% wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for you guys. Gonewild Johnson is gone now too so we can all celebrate with some medals now probably. I know I've been a huge pain in the ass every now and then, threatening to dip on Canada for absolutely no reason but stupid memes but in all honesty, I probably love you guys too much to ever leave (As long as Simon doesn't say I have no balls again, smh). Its been fun talking to you guys almost every night and playing random ass games and just hanging out and sharing fun memories and all that. Love you guys!

Second of all, I know I didn't last long but I wanted to thank some of the people on the Timber who were kind enough to have me for some time. @Citizen of Adraa and @CementHands I have wanted to get this off my chest for a while but I've been way too shy and embarrassed to do so but I wanted to thank you guys for dealing with my bullshit and I also wanted to take a moment to apologize for being a bitch and a terrible player. @slothfacekilla I don't know if you'll see this but I wanted to thank you for being an awesome guy and one of my good friends later on, you're awesome and one of the nicest people I've met in SHL, simply put.

Moving forward, I would be lying if I said my Detroit boyos had no part to play in my SHL career. @Murtsi, @feeler, @Fantobens, @leviadan, @Rangerjase, @Aephino, @roastpuff, @Mediocre_Fred, @Pickle Juice, @Awesomecakes, @JSS331, @JMacNCheese, @lukejm37, @Mutedfaith, @notorioustig and @nour thank you all for being amazing teammates and helping me out whenever I have those dumbass questions. Thank you for pinging me whenever I sleep through a sim, thank you for letting me sell turnips at your islands and thank you for being incredible people, simply put.

There are so many others like @DrunkenTeddy @JSS @nykonax and @ml002 who have been nothing short of incredible people and have made my SHL experience that much better and I just wanted to say I appreciate y'all, so keep being awesome.

Code:
428 words

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 05:44 PM by FreakinAnime.)

getting traded to West Kendall was really great and a good experience. I did not know what to expect but it turned out to be just what I needed to be more happy. It just clicked from the start for a lot of reasons. They are an awesome team with lots of great people and I liked the players and the gm from the moment I got there. They really make you feel at home and I can't wait to go up and play with them. The GM even made me a really nice sig so it's been special to get to play for them. It was weird getting traded but they made it turn out to be a good thing and to be a team where I can be happy and have a good career. I signed a new contract when I got there to stay for a few years but I can see myself staying with the Platoon for my whole career. I would like to play for them for all of my games when I am a pro. They have always had a good vision and been patient with me. I really feel like I am in the right place and like that was a very special and good moment in my career. I am very happy to be part of their team.

[Image: oie_floaties.gif]

I joined the SHL when I was just a kid, all the way back in August of 2010. I've been part of the SHL for nearly a decade now, and the memory that stands out to me has to be winning the Challenge Cup with the Toronto North Stars in S35. I'd been with the Stars since S20, and had endured years of playoff failures. Despite always having strong rosters, we would always find a way to lose in the playoffs and I'd lost count of how many times we blew 3-1 series leads. Despite being an original team, Toronto had never won a Challenge Cup, and the team genuinely seemed to be cursed. I had also never won a Challenge Cup as an active, though my first player, Raymond Lindsay, won the Cup in S11 immediately after I went inactive.

All these seasons of disappointment just made winning the Cup in S35 so much sweeter. After dominant 4-1 series wins against the Platoon and Wolfpack, the Stars advanced to the Cup Finals to play the Portland Admirals. The series started poorly and Toronto was down 3-1 and facing elimination. Our GMs Cynthia and WiC made the gutsy call to swap starting goalies for Game 5, benching young superstar Jeff Kirkstone in favor of the grizzled veteran Mark Harter. Harter, who was a trade deadline acquisition from the Admirals, came in and stole the show against his former team, leading Toronto to three straight wins and the Challenge Cup.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

This is going to be one of the harder things i've wrote in this league. It really shouldn't be so hard but it is. I sit trying to think of times i've had good memories but i keep being reminded as a netminder it is very hard to have great personal memories. So i guess i'll go to the next best thing that is user memories. The first thing that i remember was when i came back onto the site i was contacted by @NotoriosTig about joining the Detroit Falcons for the coming season. I was happy to be contacted so quickly after rejoining considering i was an ex inactive user. After that i did have 2 good seasons with Detroit where i managed to put up 6 shut outs in one season and capture the best goalie award in the minors. I remember around this time i had also been talking a lot in my Locker room for my SHL team. @JSS and i didn't have the best of Past but it was nice to see them put it behind them and take a risk with me in the 2nd round of the S48 draft. Now i might have not stuck around with the Barracuda but i did enjoy the Locker room there and i honestly loved everyone in it. @Leafer, @BoucherFan12 @Jepox and a whole lot more that got scattered around following changing of the GMs.

The next point in my career led me to the team i wanted to play for since joining the league! I'm happy that @Keygan is putting faith in me to take over from Tuck!

Code:
Words: 272

A lot of my favorite memories are honestly outside of the league structure and happened just in discord. I love my teammates and I am really happy that I ended up on a team with a lot of people that I love and am happy to see them around in the discord any time I go look at SHL stuff. I want to highlight guys like @JKortesi81 @slothfacekilla @TheDangaZone @TomHanks @frithjofr and @Nictox who are all really close to my heart. I am really happy I ended up on New Orleans, which is a city that I also love and have a big connection to from the NSFL. Otherwise, I think a lot of what the SHL stands for is kind of meh. I really don't enjoy the league as much as others and that's alright too. I think the SHL has really impressed with the longevity and I think it is really impressive that it has stayed around as long as it has, while having as much drama as it does, often pretty uselessly. There is a lot to talk about for people but I guess I am not the best person to do that with. But hopefully the SHL is still around another ten years and I can enjoy it a bit more in the future!

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 09:56 PM by Jorec.)

Over the years I’ve had a lot of good times on the various incarnations of these forums and the teams I’ve been a part of. The best times would have been in the early 20 seasons with the Manhattan Rage. I wish I could pin down exact moments or posts or even people to call out but I can’t. It’s all just kind of an overall happy memory, even though I know having some of the more controversial members of the site means we had our fair share of drama during those seasons. Overall though I just remember it being a really good time.

It helps that season 22 was capped off with winning the Rage’s first Cup and an especially strong showing by my player Roy Razin throughout the whole season. During the season, Roy had been elected Captain of the Rage for that season and would stay the Captain for many seasons. He was the highest scoring defenseman in the play-offs (and I think regular season) for season 22 and most importantly he was instrumental in winning game seven against the Panthers. In a 2-1 game for the Rage, he scored the first goal and was the primary assist on the game winning goal by ‘Merica to give the team that first Cup. Making Roy the first captain in Rage history to hoist it. Damn that was a good day.

232 Words

Andren Akerson (Present)
Adrik Baranov (S55 to S70)
Rurik Razin (S32 to S44)
Roy Razin (S17 to S32) (HOF/Rage HOF)
Audun Wissink (S5 to S15)