Create Account

SHL 10 Year Anniversary - Bonus PT
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2020, 10:52 PM by Evoner.)

Being on and off the SHL and seeing the website evolve has been quite the experience. I do hope I can stay longer on the site with my good friend @nour and the Hamilton Steelhawks, as I have been drafted to this team. I created my first character during S39 and quit it awhile back. I remember back when I made my character, I had @nour help me irl with the build and we talked about how to get to a proper build even continuing the talks in discord. I join in the discord calls from time to time and hear @Gooney, @Waters, @han, @Hallsy, @gabe talking so hopefully I can join in and become part of the squad. One moment I remember joining and they were all talking about a tpe post and I felt left out. So hopefully now I can be a part of the conversation and insert my own opinions, then get shi on by gooney. Another fav moment I had in the discord call is when I got casted as a delivery driver at a pizzaeria owned by waters. (Media coming soon) It felt kinda nice being a part of the story. Here's to more moments like this to come, Happy 10 years SHL.

I think that most people in the league know that the main appeal isn't actually the hockey sim, it's the community within the league that makes it thrive. In the little over a year I've been here I feel like I'be made real friends that I can actually talk to about stuff that isn't fake hockey, which is way more than I thought I would get out of this when joined. I wouldn't be able to talk about my time in the league without mentioning literally everyone on the steelhawks roster, every single person on the team since I joined in S43 has made it a welcoming place that I can feel comfortable and express myself in a way that makes me really feel like they care what I have to say. I'm not gonna shout everyone out, with fear that I would accidently leave someone out, but I think most people I would have thanked in this PT knows who they are.

My most memorable moment on the site has to be when I was drafted in S43 to the Colorado Raptors. That still stands as the most impactful moment on the site because that's the first time that I really met people on the site and realized this could be something fun and long term that actually matters to me. I just know that even if I never actually make a player that was successful like my first was, I will always be around and remember the people that I met.

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

I've been on this site for a year and a half IRL now, and it's been a wild ride. First of all, I'd like to thank @5ympathies for joining me on this godforsaken site. I'd like to thank @Zoone16 for drafting me, and all my Kelowna boys/girls for an amazing time @ImShiny @Katth @Jepox @sköldpaddor @micool132 @Nerio and there are probably others that I forgot about. Those 2 seasons down in the J was honestly the best experience I've had on the site, just the close-knit community combined with my rookie enthusiasm and excitement made it extremely memorable.

I gotta be thanking my Wolfpack boys too. @Ace gets the first tag for drafting me and 5ym back in S46 -- he even traded up to get Clapper. The early crew of @Raven @bilbo @Flareon @bbjygm @hotdog. The more recent crew of @acdangel @Zomp @The__Y-man__100 @kenvald @StamkosFan. Special mention of @ProjectSaint, you were great before we traded your ass.

Last, and definitely least, are all the anchorage people. Thanks @Acsolap for letting me be a stowaway. Aside from ass, @Gwdjohnson gets the first tag. @SAwful @honkerrs @Weretarantula @ml002 @Tomen @DaftRaincloud @frithjofr @golden_apricot @bluesfan55 @"BoucherFan12" @dylanjj37 @Fordyford @Bongo @Boomcheck @Tomasnz @.bojo @Frick_Nasty. God damn incredible LR. Sorry if I missed anyone that was a long ass list to type.

And thanks @hotdog again for the free TPE.

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

Being on the SHL now for around 8 years, far too long on something that i thought looked kinda stupid when i first joined the site, I've had a lot of memories both good and bad. It's hard to pick a favorite memory or even figure out what the top memories are since they're so many of them, in reality my favorite memory is probably some random day hanging out in a chatzy with some of my close SHL friends doing crazy shit. But thats pretty vague so if i had to pick a specific memory I guess it would be winning my first cup in S17 with the Los Angeles Panthers, the playoff run itself was very memorable and exciting beating powerhouse teams like Texas and Edmonton but winning it with that team especially after how bad LA was and being basically empty when I was drafted to the team was nice. Another memory or maybe not favorite but funniest is right after winning that cup with LA being trading to MIN and signing a 25M contract and almost winning the cup again but losing in game 7 of the finals, well it was a good memory until the game 7 at least.

[Image: Kylrad2.gif]
[Image: Kylrad.gif]

Having just joined the SHL this past season, it was an incredible experience beginning with the draft and up through the playoffs.
To start, finding the site was incredible. Seeing that there were others out there that not only enjoyed hockey but also the thought of creating players and having them function as teams and leagues was incredible. The league, so far in my short stint, has been everything that I had hoped for. Through creating a player and the help that the mentors, teammates, and staff have given, every experience has been positive.
The S54 draft class has also been great. From the SMJHL draft to the recent SHL draft they have been active and loved discussing everything going on. Having that definitely helped ease the way into the league.
My first season playing with the Scarecrows was amazing, even if we did not complete our goal of winning the cup. The whole team worked together to make sure we put our best foot forward and competed every night. There was never any putting down of players, regardless of their roles. It didn't matter if you were a goal-scoring sniper, a hard-nosed enforcer, or the backup goalie, we were all a team and functioned as such.
Now that the SHL draft is over (and the reason I have waited to do this) I am excited to see what transpires next. Even though I fully expect and plan on playing in juniors for a few more seasons, knowing that I have access to those resources is huge.
I hope the site continues for many years to come and plan on being a part of it. Wishing you all a great day and a great S54.

[Image: jericson112.gif]
[Image: 5p7vOwY.png][Image: NA3IV5m.png]

I'd say my favorite memories thus far were the excitement and build-up to the SHL draft. Our class has always been very active in our draft class discord server, and we would all be exchanging some info on if we were being talked too and whether we had any idea who was drafting us. At the time, I was also working on a big project with a couple of other rookies to produce a high quality Mock draft round table preview. We had begun researching the SHL teams that previously we had known almost nothing about, trying to figure out what every team wanted and what their tendencies were. After squeezing info out of GM's, teammates, and others deemed to be "in the know", we produced a product we were all proud of and truly represented the excitement we had all been feeling during the build up. My own draft experience was a wild whirlwind as well. I went from thinking that I might not be a first round pick, to a top 10 selection in a few days. I'm still very happy about my selection to the Calgary Dragons, and I'm excited to be around for a long time.

[Image: vDWeWJB.png]
Sig By Carpy48
Selected #14 Overall to the Colorado Raptors
Selected #9 Overall to the Calgary Dragons
Finland Dragons Raptors
[Image: zdXC6eb.png][Image: 8b7dmkE.png]

I've been a couple of years here already and while SHL was never a priority for me and rather occasional gig being part of other leagues it's still a place I keep coming back, even if just to check on things and see how things are going while Czerkawski's career keeps progressing. Among things, I'm most fond of is being part of expansion franchise from the get-go since it was something I haven't experienced before and I'm thankful for those years with New Orleans Specters - it's a great bunch of folks that I hope will win their first trophy together soon too. Not only was that place booming with activity from the get-go, but just as other NOLA LR in sim leagues was drama-free and quite active even in unusual time zones that is quite important for me (or at least used to be) as euro guy in discord era. If I were to choose a place to end my career that felt most like home to me in SHL that'd be it, just behind Czechia that I'm being part of for even longer and can't imagine other IIHF (unless we finally get Poland).

(207)

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

Alright I'm just gonna do my favorite memory from my almost 3 years of being on the site, but we must go back to the beginning all the way to S38 when I first joined the site. Prince George drafts me in the second round, pick 15 and I have a really solid first season, even winning the SMJHL's Rookie of the Year for S38. @Sleepy @spooked pull of the single craziest trade of all-time, trading the farm for three capped players for a cup run, we're talking two 1sts, three 2nds, and like two 3rds or something ridiculous like that. Now we are all in, Prince George hasn't won a cup since S8 and they felt this was their best shot at making it happen. So we win the Lauifer after having a great regular season, and face Montreal round one. Takes us to seven games but we scratch out a game 7 win to take us to the finals vs a powerhouse Detroit team that had won the S37 Cup. A long, hard series sees us go to Game 7 at home. Ends 1-1 in regulation, so overtime game 7 hockey it is. And like art imitating life, @artermis scores the game winner for us in OT in what imo was the greatest pbp ever. 30 seasons of pain erased and my player had 1 point in 14 games.

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

I've talked in previous "favorite moments" PTs about the S23 Wolfpack win and how much fun that team was, so instead I'm going to skip a few seasons forward to the group that won the next few cups in NEW. There was some drama getting there, but by the time @Eggy216  and Lil took over as GMs of the team, and certainly by the time we'd won our cups with that group, I absolutely love the team and community we had. There's a reason that I still can tell you more about Nathan Russell as a player than I can about the two player's I've had since, and a huge amount of that is due to the discussions we all had on discord (special shout outs go @bilbo  of course, but also to @Jenny ,  @Jepox  and everyone else, including some sadly no longer active on this site). Those seasons not only got me a bunch of Challenge Cups but also some friends who I know will stick with me long beyond the SHL - one I've travelled to a foreign country and a lot of US cities with, another I see twice a week for D&D, and still others that I only interact with through more normal internet channels but still would call friends IRL for sure.

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

My favorite memory on this site would have to be the 4 Star Cup run with the Colorado Mammoths back in S35, one which featured the last team into the playoffs go all the way to the Finals. It started with a thrashing of Prince George in 6 games, and was then followed by an absolutely insane series against St. Louis. The series went all the way to seven games, and I was doing the play by play for the seventh and final game of the series. The play by play was an absolute monster, but it was a very enjoyable time, as the game went into three overtime periods. It took about 4 to 5 hours to do the entirety of the play by play, which is about the equivalent of the real life length of a triple overtime playoff game. It was an absolute blast though, as everyone hung on the edge of their seats, waiting to see who would win - the favorites in St. Louis, or the underdogs in Colorado. Eventually, I drew from one of the historic Doc Emrick calls - "Henrique, it's over!" - and applied it to the game winning goal from Colorado's third liner, Asvard Lzcyzcyarzck, sending the Mammoths to the Final. Where we were promptly swept.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

I'm brand new to SHL but am looking forward to going through the process of building up a goalie and learning as I go. I'm most excited to see how this community revolves around these simulated seasons and getting more engrossed in the details, seeing things progress from the draft to the season to the playoffs.

To be honest, the setup is a bit overwhelming but it's refreshing to see the passionate dedication by so many users on this site - as soon as I'm on a team in the SJHL, I'm sure I'll begin to find my bearings and learn quickly. Reading about everyone's previous memories and experiences has made me even more excited to take part in this league. I hope to one day participate on the international level, so that's my starting goal for now. As things move along I see myself going deeper and deeper into this collective rabbit hole while learning more about the teams, players and the people contributing to this website that makes it such a strong community.

I'll be streaming my first draft in about an hour and look forward to seeing the process as well as hopefully getting drafted and starting my player's journey and seeing how his career develops.

My favorite memory I have from the 1 year I've been on the site, would be the S47 Four Star Cup. Sitting in mgmt chat with @JNH, @Donini13,@bbjygm, @SpartanGibbles, just celebrating was so much fun. I'm so thankful for @Dangles13 for taking a chance on a new create with a high pick in Anaheim. 

Speaking of the S47, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the amazing people in that draft. @JNH and @Donini13, you two have become some of my closest friends on the site and I love you for it. You know how weird and strange I can be, but it doesn't bother you. @sköldpaddor, what more can I say about this beautiful human. The Turtle Lord, the mother of our draft class, thanks for being awesome, so excited to be your teammate now. @SecondSucks22 come back soon friendo, was fun bsing with you about drafts and food. @Julio Tokolosh, @Carpy48, the graphics heads, my friends from S47. Always there with a joke and for fun. @hotdog, I will eat you one day, stop drinking shitty jolly rancher flavored beer ok? @dmills3 you short Wink. @Fordyford - You know what you did.

I also wanna take some time to thanks @Velevra, @Kylrad, and @O4L for being awesome in Chicago. @JKortesi81 for being a friend, @TheDangaZone for showing me da way in Ireland, even tho I've lost it. @nour@slothfacekilla@CementHands@Baelor Swift, @Tomasnzfor being the best damn HO I've worked with. NOUR you are my dude, thank you for everything. Seriously, this would be so much harder without you. @Evok just pinging you cause I love you. @Eggy216 thank you for being my mentor on the site, you've been so good to me, good luck with your PhD. @DrunkenTeddy the site would collapse and die without you, I hope everyone knows how much you do for this game. @Kalakar You were the first ever person to scout me, I have not forgotten that. You are amazing, please don't wear yourself out doing everything at all times. 

Finally, @Nhamlet, @KlusteR, @Carpy48, @"Smalinowski7",@Rindiee, @JNH Thank you for being an awesome team and members, everyone in NL as well. Carp thanks for talking me off ledges weekly and putting up with my shenanigans. Hammy, Juke, for being awesome prospects and all the work you do to make sure we succeed. Rindoo, stop streaming so much we miss you. JNH words cannot express how much I hate you, <3. 

Ok, I tagged a lot of people. Thanks to everyone else I missed or didn't mention!

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

One of my favourite memories on the site would without a doubt have to be that very first cup after an incredibly successful regular season. I remember sitting in a Kentucky Fried chicken parking lot with my at the time girlfriend and now Fiance eating a little bit of the crispy goodness when I got tagged by @Evok who was in her final season of simming at the time. The West Kendall Platoon with their manager @JR95 were currently up in the series 3 - 2 and I knew after the amount of testing I had done it was going to come to a quite literal coin flip. We won the first game and I was excited, but then JR and I decided to hash out game seven then and there. We went back for the deciding game and it happened. The Edmonton Blizzard were Challenge Cup Champions and I could not get the smile off my face. The girlfriend was a bit cheesed because I had her sitting in a KFC parking lot for 30 minutes while I watched SimonT flash across my screen, and she was not thrilled I replaced her as a background with the championship banner, but winners win and that is what any winner would have done in my shoes.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2020, 03:51 PM by Slappydoodle.)

I have been on this site now for well over five years. In that time I have had the good fortune to get to know many wonderful people. Outside of the index, the people are the main reason for sticking around. I could never possibly list all the friends I’ve made on here. Well. I probably could, but I’m way too lazy. I’d like to limit this to mostly GM’s and mentors. Please don’t be upset if your name does not appear. Time, energy and brain cell constraints have to be factored in

@Jedi and @Muerto , my first GM’s. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of a great team and getting to win a cup right away

@Ohtaay , you were my first SHL mentor and instrumental in my being drafted to WKP. Thank you. I’ll always appreciate your patience and good humor

@.bojo , you are a great person, self deprecating, funny, and one hell of a team builder. I had a blast working with you and being your friend

@r1c3bowl22 , thanks for your expert line maintenance and singular sense of humor

@JKortesi81 , St Louis was a blast. Thanks for the Four Star. Buffalo is still a dump though....

@Steelhead77 , you’re family. Nothing else really even needs to be said

@Mike Izzy , just the most committed, energetic and awesome person. Thank you for everything

To everyone else who”s mattered to me in the SHL, you know who you are, much love and respect always

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

The S19 SMJHL Draft and subsequent season was my number 1 funnest time in all the fun times I've had here. I was the GM of Kelowna and it was my firts season as head GM and we were going into the draft with like no send-downs available. This draft (the S20 SHL Class, listen to @Rich and @Luketd podcast about it!) was the first reddit draft and wow, the few days before there was an unprecedented amount of people signing up, I think it was the first time there had been over 100 prospects for a single draft, and this was with only 6 teams!

So anyway, we ended up drafting a log of great people, many of whom are still here in one form or another:

6th OV - Kristian Eriksen @raymond3000 - 2nd all time leading SHL scorer, over 1000 points, HoF and Cup winner in TOR
7th OV - Kari Kekkonen @WannabeFinn - now GM of BUF even tho his player died fast, multiple Cups
19th OV - Jackson Rogers-Tanaka @Jedi - became 3-time Cup winning GM of Kelowna, HoF and Cup Winner in Blizzard
35th OV - Toki Wartooth (the original!) @micool132 - Cup winner, still active with new player Nathan Explosion!
38th OV - Barney Stinson @Narconis - HoF player, still active with Geezus Kryyst, Cup Winner!
50th OV - Chester Cunningham @Count Chocula - Stonehands! Went on to win multiple Championships, new guy just got drafted!

These guys were the core of a really fun and awesome 2 seasons and the all-night chatzy sessions are still embroiled in my memory! We aren't all on the same team any more and have gone different directions, but it's awesome to remember how many great people came from that Kelowna draft!

[Image: grogu111-A11.jpg]
norway                             IIHF Team Norway                          norway