Create Account

S54 PT #1 - A New Focus

NSFL Welfare Claim

In the off-season, I looked at what worked with my old build and what didn't work with it and then looked at other successful defencemen builds in the league. What I found was there was a lot of variety in terms of builds due to it being the first season, I then took some of what seemed to work with these builds, modified them to my liking and tried them out in a regular FHM game and picked the one that worked the best. So far it's worked out well as I lead the league in defender points and hits and even more impressively lead all Smebs in points and am the front-runner for the extremely coveted "Best Smeb Award" . I was the only person to pick my player in the original fantasy draft but since the beginning of the season, I've been picked up 5-6 times so I'd say my build has worked pretty well on SHL.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

This season was my first season of regression, so the main goal was to do that without impacting my offensive play too much. Basically, I've been trying to just keep up with the young guys in the gym, and stay on top of my game. Last season, I broke out as one of the top goal scorers in the SHL, so the focus is to be consistent with that. If I can just make sure I have good offensive skills and be able to get in position so my teammates can find me, then I think I will do great next season. I am not going to be the one that's known for moving around a ton out there on the ice. My main game is my shooting, so I just have to keep my stick on the ice and my head up, and that is what I've been working on over the off-season. Passing drills and one timers.

[Image: 9d3oxij.png]// [Image: 8xyKeyf.png] [Image: SHLEmoteDragons.png]
[Image: RNCgTPl.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]
[Image: RIXCbNI.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]

I really think it was a good idea to let everyone get one crack at a complete build redistribution, as it was our first season in FHM, and now we're starting to have a better idea of which builds and attributes may contribute to success more. I had a pretty successfully season as a 350 defenseman in s53, so I wasn't looking to switch up my build significantly, but rather use my next 75 TPE to add on to my existing build in hopes that I can improve on my strong season. One of the main things I wanted to increase was my shooting general. Last season I took 155 shots on goal, 8th in the league, but converted at an abysmal 4.52%. So first, I improved on shooting accuracy and a little bit of range in hopes of raising my percentage with the same amount of shots. In fact, a lot of my redistribution was focused around increasing my offensive ability. Last season, I led the league in takeaways and was 6th in shots blocked, so I was hoping that I could basically leave my build untouched on the defensive side of things, and still be one of the better defenders in the league. Especially considering my D partner committed to a shut-down style role, I decided to build as more of an offensive D, and my improvements this offseason on shooting, puck handling, passing, and skating reflect that.

[Image: smalinowski7.gif]
Sigs: Thanks JNH, Lime, Carpy, and ckroyal92 

So while I did not do any crazy build changes, I did make some more minor adjustments. I decided to put a lot more focus on checking and offensive read, while staying away from the faceoff stat for some reason even though I am a center. Now I was a little hesitant at first because one big job of a center is to win the draw, but I was reassured that by boosting the other stats will make me an even better play. I did crack 40 points last year, so I mean I guess I didn’t need to change much. But with the minor tweaks that I did here is hoping I can get 50 as that would be a career high for me. And I mean who doesn’t love achieving new personal records when regression is almost here. Maybe the Wolfpack can win a cup now that we understand this sim more

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

After starting my career trying to model myself into one of the best “quarterback” style defensemen in the game, the mixed results personally as well as the lackluster results the Raptors were getting in SMJHL play, led to coaches to suggesting that I take my training a different direction. I quickly agreed to work on my style of game in order to benefit the team. I started to focus more on the defensive side of the game as well as my physical attributes in order to to become a more well rounded player. These improvements and adjustment should will allow to contribute effectively as a two way defenseman and give the raptor shot sone stability at the top of the blue line. While this style of play was not my original goal when I became a player, I realized that I can always work towards my ultimate goal for myself when I reach the big leagues, while still benefitting my junior team here and now.

[Image: vDWeWJB.png]
Sig By Carpy48
Selected #14 Overall to the Colorado Raptors
Selected #9 Overall to the Calgary Dragons
Finland Dragons Raptors
[Image: zdXC6eb.png][Image: 8b7dmkE.png]

While it seemed that the off-season regime for the Minnesota Chiefs included a lot of exercises that were designed to work on endurance and stamina, Markus Tegernako and Kasperi Braulin, their goaltending duo, focused on speed of reaction and recovery when the puck starts bouncing around. Even if the defensive core is a (relative) strength of the Chiefs, with the play style they've known coach Gibbles to prefer, both goalies know that there will be a lot of traffic in front of their nets - and there will be many situations where a puck may be loose close to their nets, and they will need cat-like reflexes to poach said puck away from expectant opposing forwards. Markus feels himself getting better and better every day, and with what he saw from the rookies' camp, the defense prospects they drafted last season will be very useful in a few seasons... The future just keeps getting better and better in Minnesota.

(161 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2020, 10:19 AM by thevoicelesscreator.)

Another offseason come and gone, and I’m feeling better than ever. I chose not too focus too much on the draft this season, something that hurt my stock apparently. But it’s a small sacrifice to put in the work that we needed to win. Coach told me that I had to work on my physicals, get in better shape, and that the rest would follow. So that what I did. I hit the gym hard, six days a week with a rest day on the Sunday to worship the Lord. I got stronger, faster, and more explosive, each and every day. When I hit the ice for preseason, I was a different player. I should be. Second year now, I should be every bit explosive as the vets from last season. I need to set a good example for the rookies after all. Not that we have too many of them. This team is full of vets after being pretty green last season. It’s going to be thrilling to see what we can do as a team!

177 Words

[Image: bouch22.jpg?ex=65381617&is=6525a117&hm=6...178839271&] [Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Going into this season for the Carolina Kraken I decided not to change around too much on my build. I did make a few tweaks to help my offensive game out a little more while lowering a tad bit in faceoffs and my defense since I focused heavily on it before. I think the trial run last season taught us all that the skating stats are also way more important than we could have imagined so a lot of people are focusing on bringing those up as well. And of course we can not forget how important stamina turned out to be, and while the starting stamina is a little higher now to allow people that are newer to not be overwhelmed on those back to backs I still have a little more in it than the starting point. I think we'll do much better this season though. Last I was the only 425 player on the team and we only had I think 2 350's whereas this season we have a ton more of both and can actually compete.

182 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

Code:
Player's perspective: What did your coaches ask you to focus on this offseason? Is there anything you're hoping to do better than you did last season? How will you be altering your on-ice play for this season and what did you do in the offseason to prepare you for that?? Are you going to be trying to fit into a new role this season?

After speaking to management and to the coaches, everyone thought it would be the best for me and for the team that I focus mostly on my offensive side of the game. Last season, I was focusing more on my physical attributes so now it's important that I focus on my offensive side. I think this can finally be the season where I become a sniper in the league. I'm going to be playing alongside two amazing players in Nick Brain and Commander Shepard so I should really get a ton of chances to score. In the offseason, I really focused on screening and tipping pucks towards the net. Cleaning up the rebounds and getting dirty in front of the net to clean up messes. I think last season I was just so focused on getting myself put to SHL standard in which I had to focus on my speed and agility and strength. Now that I feel that I'm a pretty good level with that, I can focus on my offensive side of the game.

Code:
176 words

[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

My new coaches, Ace and Hotdog, told me to not focus on my reflexes that much anymore, since it's pretty good on it's own, but to focus more on recovery and rebound. This season I actually hope to play well and win some awards, for example a McBride, to continue my legacy. Now that I am on a new team, a team that plans on contending, I plan to do play well and expact myself to play well. Other than that I have been doing the same things, just about. I play the same, act the same, eat the same, even live the same, just in a new place. It's pretty nice doing the same stuff with slight varieties, it's how you keep life fun. There are other ways, but this is one of them, and I like doing it this way. so I do it.

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

Well, last season I focused mostly on defensive stats, trying to pump those up first while I'm just starting out in the SHL. Now, as time progresses, I'm putting more and more TPE into offensive stats and stamina, as I quickly went from 3rd line ice time to top line and special teams ice time on a regular basis. It's a lot of responsibility to go from being some third line plug to being one of the guys that's out there on the ice for a third of each game every single night. It's tough, and honestly I don't think I'll be able to deliver this season and try to carry the team to greatness, but we're rebuilding so I'm more than happy to use this time to train and build myself up as a legitimate forward here in the SHL. There is no more satisfying feeling than seeing that your hard work over years of grinding and training is starting to pay off.

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

One of the major points for this season was taking focus away from my ability to fight. It was something I worked HARD on over the last season to make sure I could clap any fools that even looked the wrong way at me. Many pundits would even see that I was best fighter in the league, which arguably led to my downfall. Everyone was too scared to touch me. Some might argue that it means I've completed my job, my keeping everyone in check with just my presence on the ice, but for me it wasn't enough. In the end I only dropped the gloves once all season, and that was in the playoffs. Coach and I agreed I should work on some of my other physical attributes instead, and just focus on being a better player. The rest of the league doesn't know this of course so no doubt they'll be scared to cause any shit on the ice

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

[Image: Balance.jpg]

Balance Training With The Armada Boys.

[Image: Spicy_Funko.jpg]
Player Page             Update Thread

This is a tough one for me because I honestly could not tell you anything about my build in the previous season. This means that I cannot really tell you too much about what has changed or about how different I anticipate my player being. Tor Tuck is quite a bit older now and each season takes a hit on his ability so I fully expect him to be significantly worse. I just do what my general managers tell me we need and I carried out my update and redistribution of my abilities this off season with that same approach. I hope I have an impact on the ice that can get the Edmonton Blizzard over the hump but I think the days of Tor being the focal point of the team, even on the defensive side, is pretty slim. If I can do enough to help my team and the new up and coming stars on the team win and succeed I will be satisfied.

[Image: TorTuck.gif]
[Image: sAx3Llh.jpg]