Create Account

SHL Community Giving Back
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2020, 02:51 PM by leviadan.)

Greetings kind folks of the SHL and SMJHL. Today, the Detroit Falcons and I come to you with an idea.

Given recent events across the United States, and frankly the world as a whole, we wanted to ride the wave of kindness that's been pouring in for some amazing protest support and community safety funds. What's unfolding right now shows us that there's a large contingent of marginalized people who rightfully do not feel safe or secure in their communities. There's all kinds of protesting, organizing, and community development that needs to be done to help things move in the right direction. I think we can all agree that everyone deserves to be loved, respected, and treated fairly regardless of who you are or what you look like. The hockey community has always been generous with the causes it takes up, so I thought the simulated hockey community could be the same.

The Minnesota Freedom Fund was the main organization being passed around for the last few days, but due to a huge influx of donations, they've provided a list of other groups doing excellent work that could use our support. The Falcons chose to donate to Reclaim the Block, a grassroots organization that works with Minneapolis community and city council members to try and move money from the police department to other areas of the city’s budget that promote community health and safety. They have a lot of good information on their site, but maybe there's another organization your team would rather give to! Given that protests have started in many states and in many countries, perhaps there's something more local to you or your team that you'd like to get involved with. It's up to you guys. The Minnesota Freedom Fund linked above has a few suggestions on their homepage, but there are many others.

I'm more than aware that this is already a tough time for everyone. I have lost almost all of my work during quarantine, but I wanted to get involved how I could. Which is why I had the idea of reaching out to my team and seeing what would happen if we all chipped in a bit. I thought it might be a good way to amplify the small amount I could give, if some generous teammates matched me. Turns out I was right, as my small donation turned into over $150 raised as a team for Reclaim the Block.

Which got me thinking, why not try going a step further? If my small donation could grow to more than $150 with my team's help, maybe my team's generosity could be matched or amplified further by other teams in the SHL community. No matter what cause you and your team want to take up, in whatever city or state or country, I think now is a great time for our community to get involved in doing some good in the world. This whole thing is honour system-- I'm not going to jump on your back looking for donation receipts or anything. If you or your team got involved and donated some money somewhere, let me know how much and for what cause so I can add it to the total below. 

Thanks for your time, SHL. Be safe, love each other, and hopefully we can do a bit of good! 

Team Contributions: 

Falcons Detroit Falcons ($697 - Reclaim the Block, Canadian Black Youth Hotline, George Floyd Memorial, Bail Project, Humble Bundle Split, The Okra Project)
Kraken Carolina Kraken ($356 - Black Lives Matter Global, Equal Justice Initiative)
Timber Maine Timber ($25 - Columbus Freedom Fund)
Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks ($600 - Black Lives Matter Global, Reclaim the Block, Northstar Health Collective, Minnesota Freedom Fund, The Okra Project)
Whalers Vancouver Whalers ($548 - Minnesota Freedom Fund, Reclaim the Block, Bail Funds, LGBTQ Freedom Fund, Equal Justice Initiative)
Rage Manhattan Rage ($35 - Local Businesses, Black Lives Matter Global)
Berserkers Newfoundland Berserkers ($1034 - Bail Funds, Black Lives Matter Global, Black Visions Collective, Black Lives Matter NS)
Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard ($254.67 - Black Lives Matter Global, Reclaim the Block, Minnesota Freedom Fund)
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack ($286 - Black Lives Matter Global, Minnesota Freedom Fund, Lake Street Council, The Bail Project, Equal Justice Initiative)
Stampede Buffalo Stampede ($659.25 - Black Visions Collective, Columbus Freedom Fund, Northstar Health Collective, Bail Funds, Innocence Project, Lake Street Council, Equal Justice Initiative)
Renegades Texas Renegades ($56 - Bail Funds, Black Lives Matter Global)
syndicate Chicago Syndicate ($107 - Bail Funds, Black Visions Collective)
Specters New Orleans Specters ($211 - My Block My Hood My City, Bail Funds, Black Lives Matter Global)
Jets Winnipeg Jets ($1250 - Black Lives Matter Seattle, Multi-Organizational Split)
pride San Francisco Pride ($145 - North Star Health Collective, Campaign Zero, ACLU, Bail Funds, The Bail Project)
Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs ($63 - Multi-Organizational Split)
Panthers Los Angeles Panthers ($70 - Black Lives Matter Global, Northstar Health Collective, Lake Street Council)
Raptors Colorado Raptors ($208 - NAACP Legal Defense Fund)
Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows ($556 - Southern Poverty Law Centre, Black Lives Matter Global, Unite Oregon, The Urban League of Portland)
Knights Kelowna Knights ($20 - Northstar Health Collective, Lake Street Council)
Platoon Baltimore Platoon ($10 - Black Lives Matter Global)
Stars Toronto North Stars ($50 - Humble Bundle Split, Black Lives Matter Global)

Total Raised by the SHL Community: $7240

Heart

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=65fe67b4&is=65ebf2b4&hm=a6...46085eb3f&]

love this so much

this google doc has a ton of up-to-date and relevant information, including a bunch of donation options on pages 11-13

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

06-01-2020, 12:21 AMhotdog Wrote: love this so much

this google doc has a ton of up-to-date and relevant information, including a bunch of donation options on pages 11-13

Love it, thanks for sharing

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

[Image: image0.jpg]

I actually donated my last weeks paycheck to BLM yesterday, I encourage all of you to donate if you can, attend protests, and spread awareness if you are able to! All love.

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

The other thing to consider in some areas is that there are some local businesses that have venmo/GoFundMe pages.

I know where I live, there's a long-standing Mom & Pop Vietnamese restaurant that was burned down, and they have a page that I'm planning to donate to when I get paid.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

i cannot believe that i'm saying this but for once i agree with the falcons

what's going on across the states right now is something that may not be perfect (i.e. riots and looting) but is needed to bring awareness to the problem that we've had for so fucking long yet have done nothing about. i'd donate if i could but i can't since i don't have a summer job this year (for obvious reasons). props to the falcons for encouraging everyone to donate. we all should if we have spare money lying around.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

06-01-2020, 12:33 PMCapt_Blitzkrieg Wrote: The other thing to consider in some areas is that there are some local businesses that have venmo/GoFundMe pages.

I know where I live, there's a long-standing Mom & Pop Vietnamese restaurant that was burned down, and they have a page that I'm planning to donate to when I get paid.

This is a great point! Local causes always feel good because you can see the results of what you got involved with. Or in this case, eat the results of something you got involved with?  Hmm

06-01-2020, 12:12 PMcpetrella Wrote: [Image: image0.jpg]

I actually donated my last weeks paycheck to BLM yesterday, I encourage all of you to donate if you can, attend protests, and spread awareness if you are able to! All love.

Great stuff trella

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

[Image: unknown.png]

Sent a little bit to the local freedom fund

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

06-01-2020, 12:47 PMleviadan Wrote: This is a great point! Local causes always feel good because you can see the results of what you got involved with. Or in this case, eat the results of something you got involved with?  Hmm

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 03:28 PM by leviadan.)

We're already over $200 as a community!  Towel Heart Let's keep going!

for those interested in taking the extra mile to get involved, this site has SOO many ways to help including multiple charities to donate too, petitions to sign, places to call, as well as resources for protests and missing people reports, I’ve been leaning on it a lot during this time and I would advise you guys use it too, great way to stay informed.

https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2020, 03:43 PM by HanTheMan_.)

This master link has a BUNCH of information about bail funds, history, the whole package. 

https://linktr.ee/ceeetrl

EDIT: I found a link that allows you to split your donations across several bail funds: secure.actblue.com/donate/bail_funds_george_floyd

Another edit: https://tiltify.com/@discord/pride-2020-...eedom-fund Discord is doing a fundraiser for LGBTQ Freedom Fund. You have a chance of getting a pin if you donate :3 Fundraiser ends at the end of June

Consider donating outside of Minnesota Freedom Fund as they're overwhelmed with donations and have said themselves that we should consider donating elsewhere. Reclaim the Block, the place the Falcons have been donating to, is a great start if you want to help a direct minority group as they are a black and queer/trans owned organization. 

Do your research before donating! Some people are taking advantage of this and setting up fake donations and such. I've donated around 30 USD so far to Minnesota Freedom Fund and to a petition for Tony McDade, a black trans man who was shot and killed by police. 

EDIT: I have now learned that change.org donations do not directly help the ones affected in the petition and rather just fund the advertising. This is why research is important!

It's not up to people of colour to educate those who don't know what's going on or why this is a big deal. We all got Google. Educate yourselves, and be a voice.

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

I'm only seeing SMJHL teams on this bitch so I'll set the bar for the big league at $50 USD for the Steelhawks, chalk us down.

@leviadan thanks for making this post, awesome of you to take initiative and go ahead with posting this <3

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 04:58 PM by leviadan.)

06-01-2020, 04:46 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: I'm only seeing SMJHL teams on this bitch so I'll set the bar for the big league at $50 USD for the Steelhawks, chalk us down.

@leviadan thanks for making this post, awesome of you to take initiative and go ahead with posting this <3

The first SHL team swoops in and cracks the $300 mark for community! Thank you for getting involved!  Smile Heart