Create Account

I Had a Whale of a Time

686 words
Me, the player
Me, the user

Well, here I am. Suddenly on the other side of the continent, making it easier for me to take a swim in the Atlantic Ocean rather than the Pacific. A mid-season trade sent me all the way from Vancouver to Carolina.

A lot of the comments and takes on the trade are hitting the nail on the head. Vancouver’s season started bad and turned unexpectedly worse. Carolina is going for the cup, and so am I. It is my last season and some hardware would look real nice just before entering the SHL. It is a trade that I believe will end up benefiting both teams and myself.

Coming back to Vancouver’s season. No one on the team expected this. They have a strong growing rookie core from past drafts, and a couple of veterans decided to stay. Myself included. It was a good mix to, maybe not grab first in the West, but we were all sure we were going to the playoffs this season. Then we started losing. And then we lost some more. And then almost half the season had passed.

It was quite heartbreaking, to be honest. Seeing everyone's excitement slowly dwindle as the games passed us by. We know that Vancouver is not as bad as the numbers made us out to be. Do not get me wrong though, the locker room was, and still is, active and everyone is cheering on the team and each other game after game.

When we had played almost 20 games, my GMs @dmills3 and @"thecanadiancanuck" approached me. And I knew what they were going to say before they finished typing the message. Because the thought had appeared in my mind as well. That maybe it would be better for Vancouver to bet on the future than chasing a, with the current standings, unlikely playoff berth. And who would you trade if not the veteran that is confirmed to being called up next season? If you are lucky he might be able to fetch you a good deal.

As expected, they brought up the idea of trading me, and asked how I would feel about it. I was torn at first. I have enjoyed my time in Vancouver since day one. Even without much to show for it in the numbers game, the people and the energy in the locker room made it worth it. But then I of course came back to the thought of what would be best for the team, and for myself. After sleeping on it I agreed to being traded without making a fuss about it. With one condition. That I was to be traded to a competitive team. I did not really need to state that though, as they already figured that would be the case.

I do not know exactly what happened behind the scenes after this conversation. But I heard there were more than one team trying to trade for me. So that was nice. Always fun to hear that you are wanted. In the end Carolina presented the more enticing offer, and off I went after many a tear-filled goodbyes in the locker room.

It had to be a quick turnaround as I, just the next day, were supposed to be on the ice playing for the Kraken. And before that I was to figure out the team tactics and who’s who in the locker room and on the ice. Luckily the flight went smoothly even though I can never sleep on planes. But hey, that gave me more time to read up.

I received a very warm welcome in Carolina. The players and management were happy to have me and I was and am excited to join a strong team with a chance at greatness! We got along right away. And @sve7en even stayed up all night making me the below signature graphic. I think I will enjoy my time here.
[Image: USysfFZ.png]

In the end I still will cheer for Vancouver through this season(except for when they play Carolina, of course) and in future seasons. Because I have had a whale of a time there!

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

Welcome to the Kraken Kenvald! Kraken

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 02:27 PM by DELIRIVM.)

Didn't get to spend much time with you in Vancouver but here is to success in both Carolina and in the SHL. Gonna miss you on the ice but will still see you in the LR!

[Image: 2Y6XCEF.png]
[Image: Xwhw2zl.gif]
[Image: 2utoLVQ.png]

Kraken  Welcome!  Kraken

I'm glad we get to team up for a bit! Kraken

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Stop imma cry

[Image: dmills3.gif]
[Image: 6by0kBi.png] || [Image: ohmEd0h.png]

CanadaWhalersSteelhawks

My first linemate and captain  Whalers

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

[Image: Captaincy_Announcement_final2.png]

Can't believe @dmills3 did this again

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Welcome!

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother