Create Account

Common sense salary cap fix
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2020, 07:17 AM by dankoa.)

A lot of the moves that have been made recently have had me (and a lot of other people) thinking that there needs to be some wholesale changes made to the salary cap. While other people have suggested changing it totally to something similar to the one used by the PBE, imo the simplest fix is to update what we have already and add on some new tiers, along with changing the way minimum lengths are done.

Here’s an example of what the new cap would look like on the way I’ve been thinking

Salary Cap:

Tier 8 (1800+ TPE) - $7,000,000
Tier 7 (1600+ TPE) - $6,000,000
Tier 6 (1300+ TPE) - $5,000,000
Tier 5 (1000+ TPE) - $4,000,000
Tier 4 (700+ TPE) - $3,000,000
Tier 3 (500+TPE) - $2,000,000
Tier 2 (300+ TPE) - $1,000,000
Tier 1 (<300 TPE) - $500,000

The way that a 1800 TPE player in FHM differs from an 1800 TPE in STHS means we really need to reflect this in the way that teams have to pay them. Additionally, I propose that we only remove max contract lengths on contracts in the highest tier. This would mean that all contracts signed for longer than 3 seasons on tiers 4 to 7 would be adjusted down to 3 seasons, and would only allow for the highest paid players to get a max length contract. I would add that the most sensible move would be to remove HTDs too.

I know people will bring up points around people not wanting to leave their teams and wanting to play with their friends etc., but the simple fact is the current salary cap is not fit for purpose and needs to be fixed. I think this is the easiest way to fix things without making too many changes, and if anyone has any ideas on fixing this further would be interested to hear them

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

[Image: 200.gif]

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

I like this a lot.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2020, 07:10 AM by Skeleton Party.)

how am i going to get 420 over 69 tho.

as a member of the players union i dont want my brothers to be short changed.

i find this proposition to be akin to a bailout for the league GMs at the expense of the players, and as such incredibly unethical.

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]

This all makes lots of sense, hopefully changes are coming

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

I'd like to see a return to the old send down rule as well, or at least a change to the current system. I really dislike the current system because if you have an inactive send down, it costs more to release them than it does to keep them on the roster. For example, I have a inactive player who it costs me 500K to keep on the roster but it would cost 1.25M to release them, because we have to pay the 2M SMJHL portion of their salary out of our cap. That's money that could be used to pay an active draftee instead - and we saw that several active draftees are now stuck in limbo because nobody has cap space for them.

I think it's enough of a burn to have wasted a draft pick on an inactive, having their salary hanging over your head to go along with it is just overkill. Let us release inactive send-downs at no penalty please.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

yes this please

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Preach Dan... Couldn't agree more... Been literally saying all of this for some time now.

[Image: Wally.png]

Yes at what both Dan and Kez said

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2020, 10:53 AM by caltroit_red_flames.)

07-19-2020, 06:48 AMdankoa Wrote: While other people have suggested changing it totally to something similar to the one used by the PBE,

Haha yeah some people

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid2872173

Getting rid of HTDs is a must.

Still think the cap itself needs to be examined and adjust according to what we do with the tiers. Just tacking on some more tiers sounds lazy. Since we know 95% of people are going to take minimum we have the ability to project the future and based on that we should take the chance to be deliberate with something we can view with such certainty.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Changing the cap to be like the PBE is probably a bad idea considering the fact that the PBE itself is hotly debating changing their own cap because of parity issues at the moment.

I love the PBE but I just wanted to point that out.

07-19-2020, 10:58 AMSouthie Wrote: Changing the cap to be like the PBE is probably a bad idea considering the fact that the PBE itself is hotly debating changing their own cap because of parity issues at the moment.

I love the PBE but I just wanted to point that out.

PBE definitely has its own issues. In my opinion those can be fixed by simply lowering the salary cap and not touching their salary tiers.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

I'm fine with this, except one thing that I may be misreading. Current contracts should be grandfathered in. You said something about shrinking current contracts. While I understand the point of it, that immediately changes things significantly and has never been done before in any league. Once the contract is agreed, it should be treated like a legal document and held to that same standard until completion, for both sides.

Otherwise, I'm fine with this structure. It's just something I do think needs implemented a bit slowly, as in it's implemented and as contracts come up to their end start going under that rule structure until all contracts then fall under it.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Agree. Really well thought out and would be a valuable change imo

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

07-19-2020, 11:55 AMJayWhy Wrote: I'm fine with this, except one thing that I may be misreading. Current contracts should be grandfathered in. You said something about shrinking current contracts. While I understand the point of it, that immediately changes things significantly and has never been done before in any league. Once the contract is agreed, it should be treated like a legal document and held to that same standard until completion, for both sides.

Otherwise, I'm fine with this structure. It's just something I do think needs implemented a bit slowly, as in it's implemented and as contracts come up to their end start going under that rule structure until all contracts then fall under it.
Tbh I would be fine with that being the case if it was implemented. I guess grandfathering changes in could be seen as extreme so if that’d be an obstacle to something like this happening would be fine removing that obstacle

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]