Create Account

S55 SMJHL PT #3 - Settling In

settling into junior life has been quite easy. I am 2 wins 1 loss on the season with one shut out. I did not expect much ice time but hey I am right in there getting some good game time experience. Kelowna is a lovely town and the summers are hot and the winters are bitter cold. good old canada. I came in as a free agent and was picked up right away to my surprise by my lovely gms. I have now been training hard to make up for the missed training. hopefully I can get drafted in the last round of the SHL draft so I can go on and become the most Under rated goaltender draft pick in all of SHL history. One thing I noticed when trying to settle in to junior life is that everyone is partying all day everyday. people showing up to practice hung over all the time. I always make sure to smack them on the helmet as much as I can. for good lucks sake. thats life so far in junior lots to learn and lots to grow off of.

185 words
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020, 02:28 PM by Snuffalupagus.)

EDIT:
ALERT PT CREW: This is purely for your reading enjoyment (or torment). Rob Wright will be joining the SMJHL next season. So this is... illegal.

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*

Rob Wright stirs underneath the massive Spider-Man duvet cover that envelopes his modest double bed. His thumb is stuck so deep into his mouth during his sleep you'd think he was giving himself the Mandible Claw. A hand shoots from under the mountain of covers and grabs the cellular phone that's been frustratingly blaring for the past... couple months?!

"Oh crap," Wright says, propping himself up on his elbow. His phone screen is packed to the edges with notifications. He scrolls. And scrolls. And scrolls. Through 500 missed notifications. "I knew I forgot something."

Indeed. Over half the messages were from his agent, most of which were in all caps and usually followed the same line of dialogue: "ROB, WHERE ARE YOU?"

"Asleep, obviously." Wright admits sheepishly to no one in particular. He scrolls further. Yep, he missed the draft. And training camp. And most games this season. "Hmm," Wright ponders aloud "I guess it won't matter if I go back to sleep, then... For a bit..."

Wright confidently sets another alarm that he is sure will alert him before the trade deadline.

Yep. Just been sleeping most of time this season.

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn

On the ice I've been absolute trash. Right now our team is playing catch up with the other franchises so it has been hard for all of us. Some of my teammates have been performing really well but with the time I'm getting on the ice, my stats are a bit embarrassing. I'm satisfied with my offensive input but I gotta get those defensive stats up. I spend like 20 minutes on the ice every game so I need to give the team more.

Off the ice, things have been better. I think our locker room is great and I was honoured to be selected as our franchise's first captain. I think it shows I've been doing well in showing my teammates I cared about them and the team in general. Having good results on the ice is fun because it puts everyone in a good mood but I think the guys with whom I share a locker room are infinitely more important than the amount of goals or assists I can produce. With that said, we're getting better every week and I think our season will get more and more fun.

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

In terms of how things have been going on the ice, they've started out a bit slow for both myself and the team. The transition into the SMJHL has been manageable though, and the Citadelles have all been growing quickly both as a team and as individual players. In terms of my individual stats, I haven't scored any goals yet on more than 30 shots, but have recorded a decent 6 assists. Unfortunately, I'm at the bottom of the team in many advanced stats, but have been putting up some solid minutes on both the power play and penalty kill, earning half of my points on the special teams. As the team continues to grow I'm sure that I'll find a good stride and continue to up my contributions during games. Off the ice, I'm very happy being a part of the inaugural Quebec City roster. The locker room has been a great place to bond with both teammates and GMs and I'm looking forward to what the team will look like in upcoming seasons.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2020, 11:37 PM by Wawazat.)

After returning to the USA with the cancelling of the season in...(pick any second rate hockey league in the EU and place HERE).
C.K. Supernaw has had to endure COVID testing with a swab that apparently touched the brain stem and has resulted in a triggering of a partial hearing loss. This isn’t necessarily bad as it only happens when our hero gets asked an incredibly redundant question..

“What’s with the ‘Superman’ jammies?”

I suppose the sight of a 6’7” guy standing in the socially distanced line at Costco in ‘Superman’ jammies complete with red cape might prompt the inquisitive to explore the situation... But, frankly after two weeks of quarantine and the fact that C.K. is still waiting on his crap agent to obtain a solid offer from any team looking for a Goaltender...Well, it has started to make our hero a little ...snippy as auntie May would say.

“Wha.?”

..Hey, it is a simple reply, and combined with headphones blasting ‘Megadeth’ and sunglasses, it almost always dissuades a follow up attempt.

Yea, I know the ‘J’ season has reached the 1/2 way mark ..but, it is 2020 and other than working out 3 times a day(Cardio-stretching, HIIT, Stationary bike) and bribing the janitor at the arena to let me do some skate drills..I currently got ‘No Reason’ to wear anything else. So until I get signed I’ll be sitting on the couch in my ‘Superman’ jammies watching the games on the SHL.net. and occasionally cheating on my Carnivore diet with a bowl of Honeynut Cheerios and a Modelo Mexican beer....oh well, IT IS 2020.

[Image: Untitled-5.jpg][Image: 189-1895167_american-flag-superman-logo.png]

UPDATE PAGE

Quote:S56 WJC AWARDS
“Our third award is one that is dear to my heart as a SHL goaltender… The Peter Larson Award for the Top Goalie! This is voted by the GMs and considers both the round robin and medal rounds. The S56 Winner of the Peter Larson Award is….…
C.K. Supernaw! “

Battleborn Usa

Vancouver has been very nice. Coming out of not just the political nonsense in the UK but also the positively terrible weather, I'm loving the mild summer we're having so far. The only thing my teammates are complaining about is the rain, but I'm used to London's dreary skies from May to August so the occasional rainfall isn't too bad. The nice change of climate is making my on-ice work a little more tolerable. I've been having trouble getting on the scoreboard and the team has been on the wrong side of one too many games thrown away in the last ten minutes. I'm hoping we turn it around in the next couple weeks, as the team adjusts to playing together and starts to pick up some steam. I'm chalking it up to a faster, harder game up here in Canada compared to the British travel circuit.

Moving from the CHL to the SMJHL is a big transition for any player, and that's no exception for Sachimo Zoidberg III. His offensive production has died down, but that's not to say it's dead. 3 goals and 9 assists for 12 points still has him as the highest scoring defenseman on the Battleborn and fifth in points scored on the team overall. His defensive play hasn't been slacking either as he leads the team with 72 blocked shots and a 75 DGR so far for the season.

Moving to Nevada after being born and raised in Canada has been a shift for sure, but with a strong support system between the management and his teammates, SZ3 has done well to fit in around the rink and in the locker room. An expansion team can be a trying time as the team tries to find it's feet and obviously wins are tough to come by, but the Battleborn have done well as a team and management has made the transition for all players from all over the globe as easy as possible, and Zoidberg is enjoying the move to professional hockey.

[Image: NyUD4Ch.jpg]
[Image: 95lCCDx.png]

[Image: iXI1ET6.png]

Right winger Eero Makinen went into the season expecting to have some growing pains but he never imagined he would have to adjust this much. The Colorado Raptor fourth liner isn't used to not having a large role in his teams offense but he has been trying to adjust and help his team as he can. Still as a self proclaimed sniper, Makinen seems to not be able to buy any offensive success this season. We are about halfway through the season and the young forward has 0 goals and 3 assists with one of those being on the power play. Makinen has seen some defensive success on the fourth line however, with 9 hits and 7 takeaways this sniper is starting to realize how important a two way game will be in his future career. Makinen hopes that by next season his 7 minutes of ice time will only go up and his coaches will trust him with more ice time in a more offensive role.

[Image: macgriddlesig.png?ex=6531467b&is=651ed17...9ee2d84f&=]
Finland  Stars  Berserkers

It’s been a bit of an uphill battle, but Zdenko Beranek is starting to find his sea legs with the Quebec City Citadelles in the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League. The number one overall pick of the Season 55 SMJHL Draft has 11 points in 28 games, with four goals and seven assists.

While Zdenko is still hoping to improve on-ice, he is thoroughly enjoying his time with the Citadelles. There is a lot of confidence in the locker room, as the team is now riding a four-game winning streak despite being one of the league’s two expansion teams for Season 55. The personalities and playing styles within the team are starting to gel, and that chemistry is showing in the results.

Beranek hopes to continue improving so he can contribute towards Quebec City’s rise. With a little bit of luck, perhaps the Citadelles can even surprise pundits and win a playoff series or two in the postseason.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

It would be no lie to say that progress is slow for Alexis Vermette in the SMJHL this season. It has taken a long time to get used to the way that the game is played at the major junior level, and although this is not the worst rookie season he could have had, he had definitely hoped that he might have been able to have done better. Alexis has 7 goals and 10 assists at the time of writing. As an offensive player he hopes that this is something that will improve in the last twenty games of the season.

The experience he has had moving to Las Vegas has been a lot of fun for Alexis. It is a very different place to Montréal, and he is enjoying getting to play for the Battleborn and live in such an interesting place. It has shown him a lot about how different the world outside of his hometown is.

[Image: W8ZyU0w.png]
[Image: EilhEKw.gif]

Wolfpack Canada Battleborn

So far so good for Rikki Petrov and his acclimating to the SMJHL and his team, the Vancouver Whalers here in his first official season here in Season 55. Petrov has been getting along with his teammates on and off the ice so far and his on the ice team play has benefited from it. Rikki Petrov now is up to 12 assists on the season with his recent three assist game in a dominant win against Nevada which was nice to see as the season has been a bit of a rough one for the Whalers as they have one of the lowest point totals in the entire SMJHL. Out of all the Petrov brothers, Rikki is leading in both points and assists with 14 points and 12 assists this season to go along with 2 goals which is always good for someone who is never looking to score. It is joked that the goals by Rikki Petrov are just missed passes that slide into the goal, which could be true given he is very selfless on the ice. However, he does not miss passes often! Unfortunately his +/- so far is pretty far down the Petrov list as he plays for the struggling Whalers but the team is definitely coming together!

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

Settling in has come in two parts really for me. It has a been a big adjustment from slinging bales and driving combines to big lights and crowds of people. My teammates have been super supportive and even helped my find my first apartment which is conveniently near the stadium! The Fans and the staff in Detroit have been exciting and supportive from the start which has made the transition to this level of play a bit easier and I am finding my rhythm in the squad. Faceoffs were a struggle at the beginning of the year but the last 4 games I have managed to bring it up to 50% so pleased with that! I also got my first two points of my career with 2 assists in one game, also earning 3rd star! It is going to continue to be a battle to improve but the future in the SMJHL is only going to get bigger and brighter.

[Image: 8F99koM.png]

Falcons SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  Falcons

Life in the SHL has been pretty dandy for me so far. Although I have not seen too much playing time, I’d like to think that my player has been able to contribute at least somewhat to his team, the Detroit Falcons. Specifically, last week, I was able to get my first ever goal of the season, which was incredibly exciting and rewarding to see. However, one major thing that I would like to see get resolved is the fact that my player has yet to be updated I think. Specifically, I have like 59 TPE that has been unaccounted for and yet to be updated, so I’m just hoping that that will be resolved this week and my stats will be increased heavily. Teamwise, I hope that I will be able to contribute much better to my team after the update is processed and also hope that we will maybe be able to turn on the jets from this point forward and really turn around our season.

It's been a rough transition to the SMJHL for Matty David. As a two-way defenseman that prides himself on driving possession for his team, he has had moderate success. He's currently above 50% in both Corsi and Fenwick and both of those stats are on the positive side relative to the rest of his team. A good chunk of that is owed to being paired with All-Star defenseman Colin Lambert for significant portions of his ice time, but for a rookie, he is holding his own in terms of generating more good chances than bad chances.

The bad part is that out of 224 skaters in the SMJHL, he currently ranks 224th, dead last, in PDO with a PDO of 93.2. St. Louis' recent shooting percentage woes seem to have hit hardest when Matty David is on the ice, causing his +/- rating to plummet in the past week to a very ugly -13, ranking near the bottom of the league in that stat. 

It's been frustrating, but hopefully his luck will turn around in future weeks and some of those stats will begin to rise a little bit.

[Image: EmopN1x.png]

Marcel Laflamme has calmed his nerves after relocating to Colorado. He has had a few starts, and even a win or two, which has enabled him to get rid of the performance jitters. He has been looking at most games from the sideline, as any backup goaltender would, but has enjoyed the team atmosphere in the locker room and in games nonetheless. Trying to perfect himself constantly, he has been hitting the gym, has spent some extra time with the goalie trainer, hoping to fast track his progress.

Off the ice, Marcel has been slipping a tad, going out a bit too often with his friends, sometimes teammates, and generally enjoying what little fame he has. He has showed up to practice hungover a few times, but nothing serious enough to raise suspicions from the coaching staff (at least he would like to think he's going under the radar). Still young and full of misplaced arrogance, he thinks he can get away with this lifestyle, but he doesn't realize this is a coping mechanism. He does feel lonely, being far from his family and his childhood friends, and he's trying to find companionship and camaraderie by going out, trying to avoid staying home alone.

(204 words)

[Image: XbtwzDW.png]

Signature courtesy of Lord Jumbo.