Create Account

The Local Latvian Edition 1
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020, 12:56 PM by The__Y-man__100.)

Code:
Article written on August 10th 2020, all stats and TPE counts are from this date.

Producer: Janis put that bottle away we're live!

*news anchor throws bottle at producer*

Janis: Welcome to the Local Latvian, my name is Janis and today we are looking at what has been Latvia’s most active transfer market in the last 15 seasons! What a time to be a fan! As the re-tooling of team Latvia continues the nation’s future keeps on looking better and better as the seasons go on. Adding @CaptainCrazy as the co-gm of the nation has already helped speed up the rebuild as two minds collectively working together are always better than one. While the team is still attempting to finish a rebuild due to mass retirement, it is safe to say that the rebuild is getting close to completed. While some additions are still required, most of the pieces have already been acquired and now it is just a matter of assisting in the development of each player to ensure when they peak, they will be ready to win gold! Let’s break down what the nation's future is looking like and when we can expect Latvia to be a real threat again.

Janis: Looking down the middle, We start with S53 middle man @leafsftw1967 Mats Marner and S54 middle man @Mack Mack Daddy who are looking to be the IIHF’s next dynamic duo when it comes to strong center depth. Surprisingly both already play for the same SHL team in the Calgary dragons. While Mats does have one season on Mack with regards to development, both players are hungry for success. Mats has been going off in the SMJHL with 28 points in 22 games in his third season down in the J’s, and Mack is putting up respectable numbers for his second season with a mediocre Raptors team. Being the team’s best center with 12 points, if Mack can do this with an ordinary team, imagine what he could do playing alongside some of Latvia’s finest! We got the chance to catch Mats during his busy schedule as the fans had a few burning questions that needed answers. Unfortunately Mack had a charity event booked the same day that the news team hit the streets.

Interview So Mats, being from Ukraine you could have represented any international team. What made you decide on Latvia?

Quote:Mats: I honestly chose Latvia because my brother is running the team and thought it would be fun to play as teammates together. They also seemed to have a good young core that I can develop with.

Interview Mats did you expect to be Newfoundland's best center this season? Did you expect to be in an individual award race this season?

Quote:Mats: I was hoping to have a great year as a third year 425tpe player and playing first line minutes you should be expected to produce. We got one of the best offenses in the league with Newfoundland so I am happy to be a part of it.

Interview Mats with all the success this season, do you feel a call up to the SHL in S56 is a must?

Quote:Mats:  I would love to play another year in the juniors and dominate with Newfoundland for another season, especially if the other season fifty four players from Newfoundland come back down. I would also be honored to be called up if the Dragons need me but at the end of the day it will be their call.

Interview While Latvia acquired a lot of new faces so far, is ice chemistry a concern for you this year?

Quote:Mats: No since a lot of the new prospects are from the Calgary Dragons that I have already had a chance to play with a bit in training camp and get to know.

Interview Well thanks Mats, appreciate your time and the nation can’t wait to see you suit up again.

Janis: It is fair to say both Latvian GM's are excited for these two center men, but let’s take a look at the newer wingers to the team who will be playing alongside them. Let’s start with S55 winger @Jogurtaa Zelma Zuntnere. Zelma currently sits at 341 TPE and is leading the Nevada Battle Born with a team high 13 points (with a team high of 9 goals). While an expansion team is almost always going to struggle in its first year, Zelma is giving 100% out on the ice and one positive from the season so far is Latvia is loving Zelma’s play. While Zelma did not make the roster last season, it is to be expected there is a spot waiting for this upcoming tournament. We caught Zelma post game as fans are particularly excited to welcome a Latvian local.

Interview So Zelma, you were left unprotected and Nevada picks you up, what were your original thoughts on joining this expansion team?

Quote:Zelma: To be honest I figured out I am going into the expansion draft seeing my numbers after the first season. I am quite thankful actually, considering that right now I get a lot of playing time and a chance to see what my skill level actually is on the SMJHL stage. Joining a brand new team is tough, but I am no stranger to it.

Interview You were also drafted with Latvian defender @Cyanide Leonids Balzams, was there some comfort knowing a familiar face was there?

Quote:Zelma: It was comforting, yes. It is always nice to have someone you can talk to in your own language. Someone who really well knows why I like to eat potatoe pancakes not only with sour cream, but with jam as well.

Interview  What can you take away from the first half of the season that will help you when you lace up on international ice?

Quote:Zelma:I think that it needs to be my productivity. Right now I might not have the best numbers in the league or even close to it, but I produce at least something to help out our offense and I think entering IIHF as a rookie it will be crucial for me to at least help in any way. A pass, a goal. Anything.

Interview Are you happy with your production right now, or is the show only beginning?

Quote:Zelma: I have to say that the best is yet to come. Next season will truly show what I can do on the SMJHL stage, right now me and my teammates at Nebraska are still figuring out each other. But when the next season comes, we will definitely rise in the standings.

Interview Well Zelma I think I think every SMJHL fan is going to be rooting for your expansion team. There’s always so much excitement around new teams and here’s hoping over time you guys can build some chemistry and really take this league by storm.

Janis:Latvia also landed two promising defence men in this off season so far in @kikish18 Chris Goodname and Fleetway Super Sonic. They join Leonidas Balzams as the younger defensive core and since all three of them are in a similar stage of development they will all be working very closely together. Taking a closer look at Chris Goodname, right now he is a S55 defense men at 416 TPE. Chris has 9 points in 25 games along with the second best +/- rating for the Knights. We caught Chris at the after the Knights game and wanted to see what’s going on with him this year. Not to mention the family ties with historic player Krišs Labsvārds has the whole nation anxiously awaiting to see what Chris can accomplish over his career. 

Interview Chris, with the great season you are having on the Knights, can you guarantee a cup win this year?

Quote:Chris: As for my knowledge Kelowna Knights have been cup contenders for at least past 3 seasons since I’m on the roster. I know they clinched finals in S50 or late S40’s. Since @Katth took over management of Kelowna they are definitely one tier teams of SMJHL. Also this season we had rough start but team management easily (I think) got over it and made us lead in west for 3rd straight season. Kelowna Knights are dangerous team when met in playoffs. We have great scoring forwards and actually strong defensive line that can score either (Me, Park, Williams, Sonic, Petrov). We are the DANGER! Last time in S53 we lost in cup finals. So when we will make finals we will be upperhand (against any SMJHL team) with our rage or willing to achieve finally the championship. If we talk about season again I’d like to disagree that I have great season. Team has great season but individually I’m bit downside. My rookie season was great and I felt that I’m playing nearly best possible hockey I can. This season I’m bit more conservative. I try not to risk too much, play smart with low risk. I can do better and that why I’m not satisfied with my performance.

Interview What part of your game are you most happy about? Where do you feel you need to improve?

Quote:Chris: I’m happy about my puck possession skill. When I was rookie I did it well too. I love to handle it and play puck carrying defenseman role. I think I have improved my vision of ice this season. Passes goes right on the tape. This year I got ice time on power play. Finally! Also it broke my bad start of season. All because of first points on powerplay. It gave me back my confidence. I tried this season to be more two way defenceman rather than offensive defenseman but I cannot lie – I love to carry puck and dangle against forwards. I think I do it above average defenseman but that not nearly enough. I’ll improve, at least when I’ll play at SHL those skills I’ll definitely improve. But before that I must get myself better with shooting of puck. I start suck at that. I know it is all in my head. Just need score one more and then it is all gone like puck is getting lighter. That’s another thing I need to improve. Finally but not last I’d like to improve my shot blocking or hitting skill. Probably shot blocking, I read situations well but somehow puck just don’t hit me. With checking I’m afraid to get unnecessary penalties. I’m stuck with that but I really don’t know what to improve better. One of them for sure!

Interview So Chris, what are your thoughts going into this years IIHF tournament with Latvia?

Quote:Chris: I’m positively excited. I went through a lot of thought before to agree to play for the Team Latvia. My grandpa (Krišs Labsvārds) was legendary player for team Latvia and Calgary Dragons. He was special of his loyalty for any team he played. He weared only 3 jerseys in his life time (6 counting away forms). I thought I’ll do it my own way and playing for Team Canada. I got drafted also by Calgary Dragons and days later I received message from Team Latvian management that I’ve Latvian roots and I’m available for this seasons tournament. I thought to myself that I’m Canadian and I’m going to stay like that. I’ll wait 10 seasons if I need to jump into Team Canada 3rd pair etc. So basically I wanted proof to myself that I’m elite player. A legend. I know I make that kind of level anyway so why need to wait? Team Latvia needs my help and I have to give that. I know I can be player of elite level. So when that day happens I’ll be wearing a Calgary Dragons and Team Latvia jersey!

Interview Were you surprised that a lot of the prospects on Calgary also play for team Latvia?

Quote:Chris: No. Why? Players with Latvian roots are everywhere. Also Fleetway is playing for Team Latvia and I know him really well. We play together in Kelowna. Mats Marners is a prospect I follow for very long time. Even before Calgary drafted him I saw him playing outstanding and being very perspective in New Foundland. I was very happy that Calgary traded their picks to achieve this player. I told before I’d like to play with him in same roster – even better same line. He will definitely bring some cups for Calgary and medals for team Latvia. He has that winner charisma. Mack is another great player I followed before Calgary drafted him. I think me and Calgary management has same nose for players. But I’m surprised that Calgary got him that late. Mack has huge potential and I’d like to play with him too. Fun fact – Calgary Dragons drafted in the last round Japanese goaltender Keisuke Suzuki who has Latvian roots as well. Ha!

Interview Thanks for your time Chris, it really is amazing how much you’ve experienced over your young career so far. Good luck to you this season and the whole nation will be watching you with excitement!

Janis: Chris is also sharing the Kelowna ice with Latvian teammate @Taxman100 Fleetway super sonic. Fleetway is another S55 defender at 321 TPE who is a playmkaing monster, currently with the third most assists on the Knight’s team. While he is offensively gifted, his inexperience shows as he also has the third most giveaways on his team as well. Fleetway IQ will only get better over time and he’s set to be on the third line pairing with either Chirs Goodname or Leonidas Balzams. We caught Fleetway in the gym as Latvia is very excited to welcome this outer dimension player.

Interview So Fleetway,  being born in Metropolis Zone, Mobius you had the chance to play for any IIHF team. What made you decide that Latvia was the right choice for you?

Quote:Fleetway: Well. Originally I wanted to play for Mobius's IIHF team, but since the SHL doesn't recognize other planets on their International play maps, and since the Mobian population on Earth is pretty small, I decided to look around. Then I got offered by Latvia and took it.

Interview  You are having a great season with the Knights so far, can you guarantee a cup win?

Quote:Fleetway: Ehhhhh. Maybe. The future for us is pretty bright, but I can't make any guarantees.

Interview  What part of your game are you most satisfied with? What part do you need to improve?

Quote:Fleetway: I'm very satisfied with my hard defensive game. It's strong and aggressive... Just like me.....? Oh I'm sorry. Something slipped there.

Interview  Would you want to play with Knight teammate Chirs Goodname or IIHF experienced defender Leonidas Balzams and why?

Quote: Fleetway: I'd be fine with either. It's nice to play with a fellow teammate that's got my back through this whole thing and playing with someone that's well experienced in my position and IIHF stuff would be a neat learning experience.

Interview Well Fleetway thanks for your time and good luck with the Knights. With the halfway mark approaching I’m sure the season will only be getting more intense.

Janis:  And lastly, Latvia added a high potential goalie by the name of Thor Odinson @feeler . Thor is a S54 goalie at 507 TPE. Currently Thor is the highest rated goalie according to the sim as he has a game rating of 78. While His GAA is a little inflated at 3.13 due to his struggling team, he still managed to achieve a .917 save percentage half way through the season. We caught Thor at the end of team practice and he seemed eager to give the fans some of his perspective on the state of the nation.

Interview So transferring from Norway was a big move, what made you decide that coming to Latvia was a good move for your IIHF career?

Quote: Thor: Leaving Norway always a tough decision to make, but ultimately with them bringing in a second goalie ahead of me I had realised I was not going to receive an opportunity to get much time in net, if any - so had been searching for a team that could provide that for me. When Latvia reached out and offered the lion's share of netminding in the future I knew it would suit what I was looking for in my career much better.

Interview The falcons are in a close race for 3rd place in the East right now, what position do you see them finishing in the standings this season?

Quote: Thor: It's hard to predict what will happen but if the last few games are anything to go off, it's not looking great. Unfortunately with the caliber of players that we lost this season we're firmly in a rebuilding year and that's represented by where we sit in the standings at the moment.

Interview What are your thoughts on Latvia's current roster?

Quote: Thor: I can't say I know a lot about the roster to be honest, but from what I understand there's quite a bit of younger talent - so while we may not be looking at competing for a medal in the short term, hopefully once we have some more seasons under our belt we will have the chance to make a push towards that bigger goal! So far everyone on the team has been very welcoming and I'm happy with my new home.

Interview While Detroit has been struggling a little, how good does it feel to know that you have the best game rating in the league with regards to goalies? Do you feel and SHL call up is coming after this year?

Quote:Thor: As great as it can be receiving personal accolades, and it's definitely something I strive for - it's hard to see value in your own stats when it doesn't represent how the team is performing. We've let up too many shots on goal and I've still let too many get past me to be considered as a great player/team this season so there's definitely still work to do. I don't know if the call up is coming after this season, I'm eligible for one more with the Falcons and would love to take one more shot at another four star, but ultimately it's a discussion I will have with Buffalo at the end of this season assuming they extend my contract.

Interview While Latvia struggled last IIHF tournament, Hronch has the second highest game rating in the league that year. Would you view him as friendly competition or as motivation to keep growing your game?

Quote: Thor: I've been fortunate to play with some great players in Detroit and look like I'll have excellent company in Buffalo as well so I'm more than used to having that friendly competition pushing me to get better. Playing with Jobin and potentially with Doyle in the future as well I'm lucky to have had great goalies throughout my career and this will be no different.

Interview Predictions for Latvia this year?

Quote: Thor: I don't really know! Hopefully something to look forward to and improve on, while it may not be a medal contention year we can always keep building and working towards that goal

Interview Good luck with the rest of the SMJHL season Thor, here's hoping you and the team can achieve the success you all crave.

Janis: And that's all the transfers we have for now! Who's to say if we see more later down the road before this IIHF tournament officially beings, but even if this is it, we here at The Local Latvian are ecstatic to give the world a recap of this historic transfer market for a great nation.

Code:
3200 words + organizing all this (not sure if there's a bonus for that). Please pay out each individual who contributed to this article

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

Interview

[Image: oPVEBnn.png]
Credit to Wasty
[Image: wolfpack3.png]
Credit to Sulovilen

+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Latvia

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]