Create Account

Open letter:Expansion GM announcement

08-14-2020, 08:17 PMnour Wrote: I'm not entirely following the logic of being happy with the hirings we chose and also feeling like the process was rushed. Tig and Hotdog were HANDS DOWN the best options for the job, we all provided internal commentary on every single application we received and thoroughly reviewed every single one with the help of all HO members and the owners. It's easy to say the process appeared rushed from the outside looking in when you've seen none of the apps and weren't a part of the process, but we picked the best set of GMs for this team and we have an insane amount of confidence in both of these following their experience and application.

Saying it was HANDS DOWN sounds a bit disrespectful to the other applications in my opinion. One GM leaves HO to apply. The other GM leaves the PT department i am going to assume? Two important positions in the league. I am not saying there were better options, but it can’t have been that easy decision as it sounds like.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

HO is too afraid of the Sand Lions. I don't care if it's true, i just wish they'd admit it...

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

Not even acknowledging an application, let alone giving a response or letting them know they didnt get the job before announcing it to the whole league isn't just a HO problem, I never got a response to half the applications for jobs I put in. I even made it part of my Js HO application in previous seasons.

So while I love the two hires, and I have no doubt they were the best applications out there, HO processes and communication could use some major changes.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Sometimes I do feel like a lot of people in the SHL community have a bit of a problem with telling people "no". This is not just for job applications, but for other aspects on the site as well. I've contacted very active internationally unassigned members to never hear anything back until they transfer somewhere. I've heard SHL GMs say the same about free agents. I don't get what's so hard about telling people that you're not interested in their team or that unfortunately, you can't give them the job they applied for.

I'm sorry if this is a little off topic, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while now.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

08-15-2020, 01:17 AMhockeyiscool Wrote:
08-14-2020, 08:00 PMjeffie43 Wrote: You know how huge this is when he spent longer working on the video than he did trading players he just put on the block
Just bringing you up to speed because I don't know if this info made it to you. To my knowledge the SFP trades were done because the team had a Salary Cap illegal team (over budget) and they were working to create a Cap legal roster when the role got thrown on them with something like 24 hours to do so...I was also guilty on being slightly critical of the movement of players.
Eyebrow Uhh, idk who is telling you that, I'm yet to hear that excuse. SFP sent out 19M by my count. They brought back 17.5M (accounting for the send downs saving 2M). So saved 1.5M in cap space, the budget says they have 4.5M but doesn't have their cap penalty. With the 2M cap penalty levied that isn't reflecting in the budget they're at 2.5M, without the trades saving 1.5M, they have 1M left over if they didn't make any trades. Maybe I'm missing something along the way, but that's definitely not something they were dealing with, plus they had IFA bids that totaled 5M that could be cut as well to open space.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

yall got saved from having to spend all your free time worrying about what happens in a fake hockey league, should be thanking ho imo

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

I never got a call back when a company i applied for 10 years ago decided to go with somebody else, should've called the news station. :(

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

08-14-2020, 07:56 PMACapitalChicago Wrote:
08-14-2020, 07:49 PMDaftRaincloud Wrote: 100% true.

Holy shit, for that long and in depth of a video to not receive a response of any sort is inexcusable.

A for effort

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

08-15-2020, 02:07 AMSegi Wrote: Sometimes I do feel like a lot of people in the SHL community have a bit of a problem with telling people "no". This is not just for job applications, but for other aspects on the site as well. I've contacted very active internationally unassigned members to never hear anything back until they transfer somewhere. I've heard SHL GMs say the same about free agents. I don't get what's so hard about telling people that you're not interested in their team or that unfortunately, you can't give them the job they applied for.

I'm sorry if this is a little off topic, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while now.

Why waste time telling 50 people No, when they'll find out they didn't get the job in the announcement post.

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

imagine applying for a job when you don't have blackmail ready to ensure you get it smh my head

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]

08-14-2020, 10:03 PMRangerjase Wrote:
08-14-2020, 09:29 PMSlashACM Wrote: I don't have a problem with you Finn or Tig. Fuck Detroit and their not even original franchise

You don't even know me and you hate me. That's cool. Quite an original position you are taking.

Shut up

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

08-15-2020, 11:47 AMSlashACM Wrote:
08-14-2020, 10:03 PMRangerjase Wrote: You don't even know me and you hate me. That's cool. Quite an original position you are taking.

Shut up

Falcons

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

08-14-2020, 07:49 PMDaftRaincloud Wrote:
08-14-2020, 07:48 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: Oof is this for real? This combined with the allegations that not everyone was interviewed is pretty concerning.

100% true.

As someone from Utah. I would have loved to see the Utah Missionaries LMAO. Loved that shit man.

[Image: panico.png]

Okay over the years I was and continue to be one of the more staunch anti-HO practices people out there. I've slung my fair share of shit at the way that they handle things

But for this, there are so many fucking apps, and honestly no offense to you guys but at MINIMUM 60% of them aren't even worth looking at. Whether they are just bad apps, people with not near enough experience to ever be the choice for an expansion GM, or whether the team idea isn't good enough. I can say that as a former commish and HO member that some of the apps for fairly easy jobs were pretty bad too I can only imagine in a situation with more on the line such as expansion GM more apps get filtered out easier.

They are not going to interview everyone, there are people who got let go in the first, second, third rounds of cuts. They aren't getting an interview, that is not worth the HO's time if they have made up their mind the player isn't ready. Then maybe that leaves you with 15% of the apps left, which is maybe 5-6 people who realistically could be the choice. Maybe you reach out to 1 or 2 who you are on the fence about but ultimately you know these people. If they are making your top 5 they have a good app and they have proven themselves on the forum, in a league job, or on discord.

Do I agree there was a lack of pomp and circumstance? Yeah. That might be redeemed by the reveals of the teams, who knows. THat is the one complaint that it felt like the new expansion was the same as hiring someone for a graphics grading job in terms of pomp. But I do not fault SHL HO for not reaching out to every applicant. Honestly most of your apps are not good enough

Or you don't have the experience. I've said this once and I'll say this again, you will not be hired for an expansion GM role unless you have straight up years of experience under your belt. It is one of the hardest jobs in the entire league. Expansion has burned out some good members of this league with how hard it has been to build up a team whether it's the expansion in S5, S11, S25, or whether it's the expansion in S56 here. It isn't easy and honestly I wouldn't wish expansion GM on my worst enemy. There is a reason they probably cut down that list to almost nothing right away.

Don't get discouraged, but also don't expect to be reached out to that you didn't get it. By looking in the thread with the announcement you know you didn't get it. HO has a lot of things to deal with that isn't reaching out to 50+ members to tell them each personally they didn't get the job. It's unfortunate but it's just true.

Anyway down with HO, more transparency, #JP4HO, commishes are bitches, eat the rich, etc. etc.

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

I lose internet for 5 days and all hell breaks loose

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]