Create Account

S55 SMJHL PT #4 - Most Valuable Player

The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP as decided by the Awards Committee.  The most coveted individual award in the juniors league.  Who will win it this season?

Task 

Written option:  Write 150 words about which players you think are in the running for league MVP.

Graphics option:  Create a graphic comparing the top 3 MVP contenders.  Must include team logos and renders. 

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S55 SMJHL Rookies (S56 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Deadline
Sunday August 23st, 11:59 pm Eastern

Link to welfare claims from PBE and NSFL here in order to get credit.

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

I believe the MVP of the SMJHL is going to someone on the Berserkers. Newfoundland is killing the league right now and the top two scorers in the league currently play for them. Mats Marner and Ryuuji Minaminoa both have 42 points, while Marner has an astounding 23 goals.They're not running away with the scoring lead or anything, on the contrary, there are two players right behind them with 41 points, but they get the leg up because they're leading the top team in the league.

The next tier of contenders are going to come from the Kraken and Armada. Linus Grimstad and Chris de Siren both have 41 points and helping their teams get into the top 3 in the league behind Newfoundland. They have very similar numbers across the board and if either of them can propel their team ahead of the Berserkers they'll become the new favourite for the MVP.

I'm pick right now is Mats Marner. His team is in first and he's leading the league in points and goals, and we all know goals are more valuable than assists. It's his to lose.

(188 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 79
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

I think a good candidate for league mvp this season would be Ryuuji Minamino of the Newfoundland Berserkers. Ryuuji has a clear lead in assists this season with 31 assists, nearly averaging an assist per game. He also has the ability to put the puck in the net, scoring 11 goals so far this season, and is tied for the league lead in points with 42.

Another good candidate could be Anaheim defenceman James LeBlond. Leblond has a very impressive 16 goals as a defenceman, almost doubling the goals of the 2nd ranked defenceman , and also has 13 assists for 29 points on the season.

My top candidate for MVP at this point of the season, however, would have to be Mats Marner, also hailing from Newfoundland. Marner is tied with Minamino for the league lead in points with 42. He had a ridiculously hot start to the season, and has been able to maintain a solid pace since then to continue to be atop the league in points and goals. He also has the advanced stats to back him up as well, top 10 in the league in GF/60, CF% and FF%.

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar

I believe center Alexander Roach who plays for Quebec City Citadels should be one of top candidates for MVP.
He is on fire for whole season and having good game almost every single game he plays. As a player of newly established team with lots of rookies it is harder for him to score lots of points comparing to top teams in league. All defenders in this team are rookies so his +/- at -10 shouldn't seriously affect his nomination for MVP. But he still managed to get very decent 31 Points (currently 12th in league); 15 goals (tied 11th) and 16 assists (tied 26h in league). One shorthanded goal is cherry on his goals cake and is shooting percentage is in leagues top 25. He also does very well in defense; with 27 takeaways he is tied 4th in league and 88 blocked shots also puts him on 4th place in league. That is why he have best game rating in whole league (75); 21st offensive and 4th defensive. All that for sure makes him a top candidate for MVP this season.

When talking about MVP after about two third of the season, it sometimes is hard to pick out only one player. In fact, at this time of the year, I am thinking about four different players being in the mix for the Ideen Fallah Trophy. The four candidates are playing on only three different teams though. They are RW Chris de Siren from Anchorage Armada, C Linus Grimstad from the Carolina Kraken and two players from the Newfoundland Berserkers, namely RW Ryuuji Minamino and C Mats Marner. I broke it down to this four players mostly because of the points they scored. The two Berserker scored 42 points, de Siren and Grimstad both scored 41. The only four players in the league with over 40 points already, as far my researches aren‘t wrong. Out of this four players I would currently see de Siren and Grimstad slightly ahead of the other two, only because of the fact that they don‘t have another top scorer on the team. That‘s the luxury problem the Berserkers have, if two players battle for the MVP crown, who is the MVP on their team in first place? Chris de Siren is the leader of the Armada, and puts their attack on a new level. Grimstad is his counterpart on the Kraken. Both would highly deserve to win the trophy, let‘s see how the season finish changes the picture of the MVP race.

To me, the frontrunner for league MVP is Carolina Kraken centre Linus Grimstad. He leads his team in goals and assists, and for the entire SMJHL he is 2nd in goals, 4th in assists, and 3rd in points. The reason that Grimstad is my MVP for the season thus far is because he is not a one-dimensional player, he excels at all aspects of the game and plays well all around. This is also a large reason why I didn't choose Newfoundland centre Mats Marner, who leads the league in goals and points, or Ryuuji Minamino, who leads the league in assists and points. Another reason for this is because Grimstad doesn't have the supporting cast in Carolina that Marner or Minamino have in Newfoundland. This makes it all the more impressive that Grimstad has been able to challenge both Marner and Minamino for points leader at various parts of this season.

157 words.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]
Portal
Portal

Mats Marner from Newfoundland Berserkers is a great choice, he has scored 23 goals in 35 games so far, that total is the best in the whole SMJHL. Marner is also tied in the first place in points with his 42, teammate Minamiro is at the same total, but in my eyes, the goals scored pushes Marner into the lead in the MVP race. What makes Marner's goal total even more impressive is the fact that plays as a center, he has to be a playmaker with his movement more often than wingers, which might push him to low scoring areas frequently, a winger could position himself to better scoring areas and wait, but Marner as a center has to be aggressive and quick if he wants to score and he has been exactly that, Marner is the only player who has reached the impressive 20 goal mark so far.

There are other players around the league who have played great seasons, the mentioned Minamiro, Grimstad of Carolina and De Siren from Anchorage have all scored at least 40 points, but if Marner is able to score goals at a similar pace for rest of the year, in my eyes he is the MVP.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 08:44 AM by gordieboom.)

Adrian Ayers doesn't care very much about the individual awards. He believes team success is by far more important. That being said, Adrian just hopes the awards committee will solely look at performances and doesn't take other meanless things into account, like player activity on the site, player's friendship with one of the committee members, etc. Adrian hasn't followed the other player's performances, but after a quick look at the SMJHL index he thinks the following players might have a shot at winning the MVP: Goalie Scoochie Stratton from the Anchorage Armada (0.929 save percentage / best in the league, 74 game rating, tied first in the league), Center Alexander Roach from Quebec City Citadelles (highest GR in the league, 31 points on an expansion team) and Mats Marner from Newfoundland Berserkers (23 goals, 5 more than the second scorer in the league). These three players all have a great season so far and deserve the recognition.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

At this point, I’d have to say it’s a toss up between the two top scorers in the league, which both happen to be playing for Newfoundland. It’s a good time to be a Berzerker. Mats Marner and Ryuuji Minaminoa are tied for first in the league for points, with 42 each. Marner has 23 goals and looks to be an elite level goal scorer this year. They’re not far and away ahead of the rest of the league, being only one point ahead of some of the competition, but Marner’s 23 goals is 5 more than the next highest, which is pretty damn impressive. For that reason, I feel like Marner will be this year’s MVP, barring any sort of changes in the stat lines, which of course there will be given that the season isn’t over yet. But I think he’s far enough ahead in goals that if he keeps up his current pace it’s going to be tough to reach him.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Mats Marner, NFB: Marner is leading the league in goals and points, and is one of the many reasons the Berserkers are one of the top teams in the league and a favorite to bring home the championship.  Marner is a cut above most players in the league.

Sven Svenson, COL: The Raptors may not be as exciting as the current top 4 teams in the league but they are still a contender, much of it thanks to Sven Svenson.  Currently third in goals and sixth in points his effort is one of the chief reasons the team is primed for a date with one of the Pacific North West teams in the upcoming conference finals. 

Chris de Siren, ANC: Siren is having a hell of a season, having passed his career high in scoring with more than a dozen games left in the season. He is 7th in goals (and just 2 away from being tied for second), 3rd in assists, and 4th in points. The Armada are a great team and Siren's talent and effort are a key part of that and a reason we will probably see them battling later than most teams in the postseason. 

My picker for winner: Chris de Siren. This is the MVP award, and for my money Siren is the MVP for the league; the Armada's current position is highly attributed to his breakout season.

[Image: A9nSgBs.gif]

PBE PT

There are a few players that I think could make a strong case for MVP this season. The front runner at this time is Carolina Kraken Center Linus Grimstad. He has scored 41 points this season with a pretty even split of 18 goals and 23 assists. He's also got a very high plus minus at +24. Linus is the leader of one of the top teams in the league and definitely deserves MVP consideration. The next players that I think should be considered for MVP is Ryuuji Minamino the Right Wing for the Newfoundland Berserkers and also his teammate Mats Marner who is a Center for the Berserkers. Both of these players lead the league right now with 42 points on the season. Minamino has 11 goals and 31 assists with a +20 plus minus and Marner has 23 goals and 19 assists with a +19 plus minus. Both have incredible stats and play for the top team in the league this season. Of these three I think I would actually lean towards Marner as he is leading the top team in the league right now and has a more even goal to assist split than Minamino.

[Image: Ugn5gZg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 11:42 AM by Arayvenn.)

I believe Mats Marner from the Newfoundland Berserkers will win The Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP. Not only is Mats tied for the league lead in scoring with his own winger, out of every forward in the top 10 I think you could argue he has the most complete game and is the biggest difference maker for NL. While boasting an absurd shooting percentage of 20%, he also contributes to their physical game, racking up more hits than any other Berserker forward other than Patric Twist. Mats is also a possession monster and gives the puck away about as frequently as he steals it. He can be played in all situations and is a big part of Newfoundland's excellence this year and I think he's a lock to be a finalist. That being said, there are a couple honorable mentions from the expansion teams I wanted to highlight as the other posts in this thread have done a good job covering some of the other top scorers in the league. The first being Alexander Roach from Quebec, who is already becoming one of the very best 2-way centres in the league and boasts the highest overall GR of anyone in the league. The other expansion honorable mention I want to mention is Phillip Weaver, goaltender for the Nevada Battleborn. You may think it's silly to mention the starting goalie of a last place team that's already given up 160 goals, and I'm under no delusion he'll win but he has had some absolutely incredible games and has one of the brightest futures in the J imo. Weaver is facing 40 shots every game, more than any other goalie in the league and has had multiple 50 save games this season. He has kept NBB in multiple games we had no business still being in and is one of the easier Team MVPs to pick out in the league.

[Image: qqfzCsq.png]

I have to put my money on Mats Marner or Chris de Siren. Recently, I did a write-up and evaluated the top 20 scorers with a "Game Score" formula.
The top two players by a fairly wide margin were Marner and de Siren. Both of them are high-end scorers that boast impressive impact metrics to boot.
Marner looks to end the season with both the goal scoring title and total point scoring title, and that in and of itself is enough of an accomplishment for a good MVP case.
de Siren, however, dwarfs Marners' impact metrics on a similar total points scoring output. This one is right down the middle and I don't know if I could call it one way or the other.

For what it's worth, I'll put my bet on Chris de Siren. The guy seems to be a dominant puck mover, one of the league leaders in assists and holding a 10% RelCF to boot.

When de Siren is on the ice, the puck is going the other way and often times ending up in the back of the net.

UPDATESPLAYER PAGE

Just a warning before we I start talking who I want as MVP: I am not a big stats guy and I haven't been paying that much attention to teams other then my own. With that in mind, my vote for MVP is Alexander Roach from my team the Qubec City Citadels. He has played in 37 games, and in that time he has 15 goals and 16 assists. Those stats are really impressive when you consider that we are an expansion team and he is the only one who is currently maxed out. He has been an amazing asset to a young team that are all growing into great players together.

His points also lead the team by a wide margin and are the reason Qubec City is exceeding all expectations for the season. I personally expected us to do a lot worse, but he has led the team to a decent record, which is all we can really ask for him in a team full of young rookies. I hope you all at least consider him when talking about the next MVP and watch out for Qubec City to start being amazing next season.