Create Account

S55 PT #4 - OK What's Your Expansion Team Idea

Quote:Written task: If you were the GM of an expansion franchise, what would your new team be? Where would you place it? What's the team name? Why there? Why that name? Describe your branding, goal song, colors, etc.

As mentioned in my mini PT, I would send a team to Butte, Montana and name them the Butte Buffalo. I would place them in Butte because I have recently determined Butte to be the heart of the American hockey community, and no I will not be sharing my research or reasons into this determination. The mascot of the Buffalo comes mostly from the alliteration that the name provides, but I feel like there is also some wild buffalo roaming the Montana wilderness, so the name could be more fitting than I originally thought it would be. The team colours would be brown and black, so to express the spontaneity of the state of Montana. The goal song will be "She'll be Coming Round the Mountain when She Comes" to highlight the vast Montana wilderness and the country attitude that comes along with it. I'm honestly not sure if there's enough people in Butte to actually come to our games, but hopefully we can pack a few hundred people into the barn (yes, our home rink will be a barn) for some home games.

Player Page || Update Thread
[Image: ffBCCRQ.png]

Cool PT! I've really enjoyed some of the expansions and rebrandings that have come out since I joined this league. I am however a little disappointed with the lack of an Ottawa based team so if I were to get the opportunity to create an expansion team I would locate it in Ottawa. I've always been a huge fan of the red, black and gold used by the Senators so I would likely lean on that as a color scheme. The runner up being the royal blue and gold used by the Sabres. As for the logo and team name I'd go with the roughriders Phantoms. I'm aware it's stupid close to the recently added New Orleans Specters, which they executed perfectly. The runner up would be something Canadian politics related, much like the current Ottawa Senators. Perhaps the Monarchs? I feel like that's been used somewhere too. Perhaps a good ol' fashioned Royals. That would pair nicely with the royal blue and gold too.

[Image: IAP8v68.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

[Image: pPLn4wA.png]

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

So, lets stick strictly to North America for this exercise, Had I applied, I would’ve loved to place a team in Montreal, but that’s a bit of a common desire from many users around the site. So in a plot twist that M. Night Shyamalan would appreciate, I have gone with Phoenix, Arizona as my location of choice. The greater Phoenix area is home to around 4.7M people and is part of the southwest area that is undeservedly underrepresented given it’s high population. Sure, the area is scorching hot and the NHL hasn’t had much success, but this is the SHL and we don’t have to deal with the heat. As for the team name, I would go with the Phoenix Inferno. The name would go well with the heat in the area, go well with other professional teams in Phoenix (NBA Suns, WNBA Mercury, etc..). For a logo I’d go with a Phoenix, because it’s already a bird on fire…. ya know?

(163 words)

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

It is an easy decision for what my expansion idea would be if I were to be awarded a general manager position for a new team. I would ultimately try to bring back the illustrious Montreal Impact that use to be a team in the juniors. Having been a player, assistant general and the head general manager of the Impact over a span of ten season in the past the Impact still have a soft spot in my heart. I was shocked to find out when I came back from inactivity that the Montreal Impact had been relocated after all the history the team has throughout its thirty plus seasons in the NJWHL/SMJHL. Montreal is a great place to have a hockey team with an extremely loyal fan base. I would use the same navy blue, white and grey colors for the branding and use the same logo so that there is already a bunch of brand familiarity with the people in Montreal and hopefully bring back the glory day of the Impact.

Word Count: 176

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

In terms of expansion teams, I used to really trumpet the horn that we needed a Quebec team. Now that issue has been fixed with the Citadels and so my focus has gone elsewhere. I look at the teams in the SHL and I do see a few cities that would be a great addition to the league, but if the choice were mine I'd have to go with a personal favorite. Let me now introduce you to the:

VICTORIA SEALS

This expansion would exist in the Western Conference and typically you'd see a franchise be birthed in the city of Vancouver. However, where I grew up was a little bit further west on an island off the coast of Vancouver, aptly named Vancouver Island. In the capital city of Victoria is a beautiful landscape filled with history and good natured people. It's a place in the world where many visit on holiday, and a lot end up staying. There is a lot in terms of branding that I could have gone with, specifically centered around parliament or even royalty due to our background in the commonwealth. But if you've ever been to Victoria, you'll often find yourself staring out at a seal or two that inhabit the downtown harbor. The Victoria Seals are a team I regularly create in my hockey games and play as, so it's time to bring the dream to the SHL and make it a reality. In terms of colors I'd go with a color scheme very similar to that of the Seattle Kraken, with a mix of ocean blues.

(272 words)

[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]
[Image: p82ugau.png]

If I was to to be GM and owner of an expansion team, there is only one location on my mind, Malibu California. Our team name would be the Stingrays, and the color scheme would be blue, grey and black. Yes, the Stingray are close to the Barracuda, but our team would take the fish market share of the SHL.

Now if you haven't clued in on the reason we are going to Malibu, let me give you one more hint, PCA. Any idea's? No? PCA was once a bumping school in Malibu California, with a very loyal following even till these day despite being closed for 12 years. Bringing a team to Malibu, and basing it off of the Stingrays would set us up with a huge advantage for a fan base, and bring allow us to use infrastructure that has already been built.

One of the most important things to us, is the goal song and this pays direct tribute back to PCA. I dont want to give it away, but for anyone interested feel free to check it out(Its a banger): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6YeYT3ed8

Code:
194 words

[Image: Oats.gif]

[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

I am going to use the expansion team branding that I have used for a few PT's in other leagues: The Buffalo Buffalo. I know what people are going to say already. We already have a team in Buffalo, New York! We can't have two teams in the same city! Hold your buffalo though, this team would be in Buffalo, MN so it would be completely different. Take that! The mascot would of course be a Buffalo (sorry to the existing Buffalo team but whatever) and all of the food in the arena would be topped with buffalo sauce at all times. The arena would be called the Buffadome as well. As you can see I am really leaning into that Buffalo thing. I mostly just chose all of this because it is somehow amusing to my weird brain. The colors would be super weird too to fit the overall motif. Probably some really bright neon colors with a lot of pink, blues, greens, etc. Mostly something super obnoxious so that the branding would take off as a meme. I think that's how you get famous these days. The goal horn would be a real buffalo's yell (as obnoxious as possible), there would be a live pack of buffalo in the arena, hell we might even put a few on the roster. My expansion team is about to get pretty weird.

231 words

Well, with the likelihood that Tig puts a team back in Seattle, my expansion idea for the SMJHL, the Seattle Tridents, is likely not applicable in this situation. With myself not knowing where Hotdog is going to put his team but hearing an eastern conference team, I'm going to go off the board and pick somewhere I didn't suggest in my J application.

With recent rumours saying Winnipeg is going to rebrand and relocate, I'm going to put a team back in Manitoba. This team is going to be called the Manitoba Rebels, paying homage to the Red River Rebellion. For those unaware, the Red River Rebellion was the resistance of primarily French-speaking Metis people, who were opposed to the appointment of an English speaking leader. This resistance led to the creation of Manitoba as a province, and the name pays homage to this resistance.

As for colours, I would go with a burgundy/maroon color, paying homage to the Red River origin. This would be accented with a cream secondary, and a sky blue tertiary color to accent the harsh winters Manitoba endures. (188 words)

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

Introducing the Saskatchewan Pirates!! A province that has been underrepresented in the SHL with only the Regina Force in the SMJHL history (I believe), the Saskatchewan Pirates play out of Sasktel Centre in Saskatoon. They take their name from Arrogant Worms song “The Last Saskatchewan Pirate.” Which is also their goal song. The Pirates wear the colours of the Saskatchewan flag (green, yellow, red) with a healthy amount of black for intimidation. The Pirates logo is a classic Jolly Roger skull with crossed hockey sticks underneath.

[Image: M7PYRAS.jpg]
[Image: eL4cCu1.jpg]
credit to MuNk22 for the sig

So my idea for expansion isn't entirely original, but it's one I would love to see. I am from Dayton, Ohio, where we used to have an ECHL team called the Dayton Bombers. They are to this day one of my favorite hockey brandings of all time. Dayton has a big place in the Aviation world, being the home of the Wright brothers who created the worlds first powered airplane, along with one of the biggest USAF bases located right in our backyard. It makes a lot of sense to draw from this history for the brand. I would go for a bark blue/bright red color scheme, and add some yellow accents to the jersey. The logo would likely feature a bomber of some sort flying above the word Dayton. For the goal horn, I would want to use a clip from the song Bomber by Motorhead, it just makes too much sense.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

It’s about time the SHL get a team in a more exotic destination. Of course, this team will have to play in North America not to have too much travel for the other teams. This new team would play in Nuuk, the capital city of Greenland, way better than all those boring mainland North America location. They would get a proper animal for their location and they would be calling the Nuuk Polar Bears. Their logo would be simple as it would be a polar bear’s face with his paw in the lower left corner of the logo. Their home kit would be all white and by this I mean literally all white. Their helmets would be white, their jersey would be white with only a dark blue border around the number, player name and the logo, the gloves would be white and so would be the pants, socks, skates and sticks. Finally, they would be all their game at a ring with a roof, but no wall around it, as they would try to get an advantage from those freezing Greenland temperature.

183 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

PBE Affiliate PT

Luffy Richard here, I would take a team to Long Beach, California. It is a beautiful sprawling city with a diverse population. They have a healthy sports community thanks to the Cal State Long Beach's impressive athletics program. Los Angeles, Anaheim, and San Diego are all close so there are built in rivalries ready to exploit right from the get-go. Long Beach also has no other major sports teams to compete against, giving the new franchise a monopoly on professional sports. The city has the infrastructure it needs to house the new franchise, while also making sure it is easy to get to the new barn, unlike the hell hole that is getting in and out of Dodger stadium. Damn gentrification. Rest in peace to the displaced of Chavez Ravine!

so the name would be tricky. Cal State Long Beach has a shark lab, and I think the Long Beach Tiger Sharks would be a great name to honor the legacy of conservation the city of Long Beach has created. any ways, hit me up when you folks are ready to embrace the Beach

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 04:20 PM by roastpuff.)

Code:
Written task (150 words min.): If you were the GM of an expansion franchise, what would your new team be? Where would you place it? What's the team name? Why there? Why that name? Describe your branding, goal song, colors, etc.

As the new GM of an expansion team, I would seek to rectify the lack of food-based team names within the SHL. This is something that I think would revolutionize the fan experience, as they could show their team support by consuming the team signature dish. Therefore, I propose to make the first SHL food team - the Seattle Spaghetti-with-Ketchups! As the name implies, the team would be placed in Seattle, as it would provide another team in the West to even out the conferences (Minnesota can move over to the East, they're so far over there already) and provide more of a presence in the Pacific Northwest as there is no senior team placed there already. With this team name, and team dish, I have created a unique draw to the Swedish players of the league, all of whom are attracted to this odd-but-yet-tasty combination of spaghetti noodles and vibrant, viscous ketchup. This would help me in free agency as I would include a clause to provide all players with a free supply of this dish during the duration of their contract, thus ensuring their enthusiasm at joining the team.

For fans, this would be an easy dish to replicate at home, and would increase social media presence as they would seek to show off their team spirit by cooking the dish before games on game nights. Also, this dish is vegan friendly as it does not contain any animal products! Costumes would be easy, and the mascot would of course be the Flying Spaghetti Monster, complete with a ketchup squirt hat. And as for the goal song - Lose Yourself by Eminem. Another cross-promotion would be the sale of Mom's Spaghetti branded pasta in the concourse, as well as partnership with Heinz for ketchup sales.

I have attached a sample jersey below. This would be the primary home - the away jersey would have yellow as the primary, with red highlights, to show off the ketchup branding.

[Image: wD9jcM7.jpg]

[Image: image.png]