Create Account

S55 SMJHL PT #4 - Most Valuable Player

I think for MVP I am going to go a different direction with it and talk about two of the top goalies as well for the Ideen Fallah Trophy for MVP. For me MVP is what it sounds like is the most valuable player. I think in some cases goalies unfortunately get overlooked in this category as people seem to focus on who does all of the scoring instead of also focusing on who prevents the scoring. For goalies we have the goalies on ANC and NL who both have a GAA under two which is very rare in the fairly high scoring SMJHL. Cale Amundsen to me edges out Scoochie Stratton because of overall team preformance. while Scoochie does have one more shutout then Cale, he also one more lost in one less game. I believe the Cale keeping the goals out and keeping games competitive if not winnable gives him the edge. Also I would have to look at their head to head to determine who was the MVP especially if Scoochie picked up against Cale and allowed them to have a better head to head. Besides goalies I'd also nominate one forward who to me is a bit above the rest and that is Mats Marner. While tied with the league league in points. He leads the league not only in goals but also with shooting percentage scoring once per 5 shots which to me is ridiculous. If the award is not given to one of the two goalies I would look to give it to Marner for all of the offensive stats that he is leading in the league in.

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

Since only one MVP can be chosen, but the important metrics for each position vary quite a bit, I'll be considering one candidate for league MVP in each position.

Forward: Alexander Roach Citadelles
Although Roach is just barely outside the top 10 players in terms of points, he has maintained an elite level of play on an expansion team. Other players get a lot of points due to the combined success of their linemates, but Roach succeeds as an individual and also makes everyone else around him better. He leads the league in game rating and has incredible offensive stats such as points, but also does a great job on defense with over 100 shots blocked.

Defense: Bork Lazer Armada
Lazer is an incredibly balanced defender who excels in every aspect of the game. He has a solid number of points for a defenseman, a high +/-, low PIMs, tons of hits and takeaways, and has the league's second-best defensive game rating. Lazer is a contender for MVP because he has great performance in every aspect of the game without showing any weak points.

Goalie: Scoochie Stratton Armada
Only one goaltender in the league is the leader in all main stats, and that's Stratton. He's at the top of the list in wins, goals-against average, shutouts, save percentage, and game rating. All this is made even more impressive when considering that Anchorage currently has two teams ahead of them in the standings. Without Stratton in net, I'm sure there would be many more.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

As a bit of a homer, my attention has been somewhat limited to the purview of the Vancouver Whalers and how we're doing as a team. If I were to ignore the other eligible candidates and pick someone on our team that should be MVP, it would be William Hartmann. Tied at the third highest game rating overall in the league, Hartmann really isn't far behind the other MVP candidates proposed thus far. While he does not have the 100 shots blocked boasted by Alexander Roach, he's only four points behind with 13 goals and 14 assists which could easily be made up in the two games he has not played in comparison to Roach if he continues to perform well. 

If I were to pick an offensive player outside of the Whalers and I went solely based off of stats, I would likely pick either Ryuuji Minamino or Alexander Roach as MVP. Minamino is tied with three others for first in the league in points and has proven to be a force to be reckoned with on the ice. Roach sits at the top of the board in terms of game ratings and has proven to be an all around performer on the ice, helping Quebec enjoy some early successes as a new expansion team. 

219 words

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid, swoosh and eni for sigs! <3
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 11:06 PM by Wawazat.)

A quick look at the S55 index shows the top 5 candidates for the ‘Fallah’ .aka the SMJHL MVP as of 8/17/20

Id Name Team Pos. GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPA PPP SHG SHA SHP SOG SH%
124 Mats Marner NL C 37 23 19 42 17 18 9 8 17 0 0 0 114 20.18%
215 Sven Svenson COLLW. 37 19 17 36 3 12 9 6 15 0 0 0 139 13.67%
288 Linus GrimstadCARC. 38 19 25 44 27 15 7 8 15 0 0 0 101 18.81%
26 Chris de SirenANCRW 38 18 26 44 22 12 7 7 14 0 0 0. 127 14.17%
181 Ethan PriceANA LW 39 17 20 37 0 41 3 2 5 0 0 0 119 14.29%

As I’m attempting to remain unbiased in my evaluation..I believe without eye popping, jaw dropping numbers . Right from the start Anaheim Left Wing Ethan “Edgy”Price @Zomp and his strong numbers and 41 PIMs, and Colorado Left Wing Sven “Never saw a shot he didn’t take”Svenson @LordBirdman are going to be hard pressed to be considered.. They’re both terrific players having great seasons this year ..But, without the corresponding level of Team success they fall to the nominated only category .
This leaves the trio of Anchorage Right Wing Chris de Siren @“Chrisda19”, Carolina Centerman Linus Grimstad,@TurdFerguson and the odds on favorite Newfoundland Centerman Mats Marner @leafsftw1967 . And as much as I’d love to make a strong case for either de Siren and his submachine gun shooting numbers OR for Grimstad and the nicely balanced stats he sports ...It’s gonna be Marner ..it’s a forgone conclusion... it basicly has become his award to lose...When one of every five times you put the puck on net you score..(23 goals on a 114 shots for a SH% of a REDUNKULOUS 20.18%).
Combine that with The Berserkers dominate record.(28-5-4. 60pts)...give the man his trophy and close the show.

Now as a Goalie I’m actually leaning for one of the Masked faternity to make a Darkhorse run and steal the damn MVP...my choice ...I want to say Phil Weaver @W19eaver but that’ll wait till next season....So my S55 Darkhorse choice i’ll go with Cale Amundsen @“Wally”

[Image: Untitled-5.jpg][Image: 189-1895167_american-flag-superman-logo.png]

UPDATE PAGE

Quote:S56 WJC AWARDS
“Our third award is one that is dear to my heart as a SHL goaltender… The Peter Larson Award for the Top Goalie! This is voted by the GMs and considers both the round robin and medal rounds. The S56 Winner of the Peter Larson Award is….…
C.K. Supernaw! “

Battleborn Usa

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 10:00 PM by CJPJD.)

Being new to the league it seems the general consensus is someone from Newfoundland will win MVP, looking at their team i can see why. 3 players are in the top 10 in points, Minamino, Marner, and Harrington, if Minamino can get closer to the 20 goal mark hes the front runner in my mind, with 31 assist and a +/- of 21 he is clearly a playmaker for his team, Marner having 23 goals also shows this. Another team seems to be in the running for an MVP award as well, Anchorage. with Siren and Vyskoc both in contention with 44 and 36 points respectively, obviously here Siren is the front runner with 44 points, he has a +/- of  22 18 goals and 26 points, this tells me he may be the more well rounded player out of Minamino, and Marner. In closing i think there are a good number of exciting players to look out for but my final pick would have to be Siren from Anchorage, purely because his numbers show me that he is more well rounded.

180 WORDS

For me there are two aspects which I look when thinking about who would be a great MVP. The first thing is that a player really needs to be clearly most valuable player for his own team. The second thing is that MVP's team must be somehow successful.

I scrolled through stats and found some candidates. I mainly just looked at points total and found out that there are four players who has at least eight points more than the second best player in their team. Those four players are LW Ethan Price (ANA), RW Chris De Siren (ANC), C Linus Grimstad (CAR) and C Alexander Roach (QCC). Roach has 11 points more than Quebec's second best scorer, Grimstad's advantage is 10 points and Price + De Siren are eight points ahead their teammates. Because Roach's team (and the team I play too) is dead last in Eastern Conference, I can not give the MVP title to Roach. Price's Anaheim is fourth in West but that is the limit I can accept so he stays as a candidate. De Siren's Armada leads its conference and Grimstad's Kraken is on the second place.

Of those three players left, Grimstad has as a number one center 44 points in 38 games. Nineteen goals and 25 assists. De Siren has also 44 points but one goal less. Price's stats are 17+20 but when you look at the points of the second best forward in that team, gap is a massive 13 points to Ryu Jones who has 10 goals and 14 assists. Anaheim's second best scorer is LD James LeBlond but you could argue that without Price's points as a clear star forward, Anaheim would not be in TOP4 position in its conference so that's why my pick is Ethan Price.

[Image: salming.png]

I'm going to make my case for the Ideen Fallah Trophy for goaltender Scoochie Stratton of the Anchorage Armada. Right now the Armada are leading the West division with 27 wins and 56 points. They are currently only 4 points behind league leading Newfoundland who has another goalie that I could possibly make a case for but I'm going with Stratton. Stratton is straight up leading the league in every important goaltender statistic: Wins - He's currently on top with 22 only 1 ahead of Cale Amundsen, GAA - He's sitting at 1.60 which is .25 better then Amundsen, SV% - He has an outstanding SV% of .933%, Shutouts - Tied with the league lead at 7 with Peter Ramsey and GR - Where he is again tied for the league lead at 74. I believe without Stratton, the Anchorage Armada do not lead their division and that in turn makes him the true definition of a most valuable player to ones team.

[Image: Qfss7w7.png]      [Image: 8yB62LM.png]
[Image: W19eaver.gif]

PBE (AW13)

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

PBE Affiliate PT

ISFL PT2 - Username PMoney

To me, I'm looking at the Newfoundland Berserkers for an MVP candidate. They have two players that have really been lighting up the scoreboard - Ryuuji Minamino and Mats Marner. The two players have 44 and 42 points, respectively, which is good enough for t-1st and 4th in the SMJHL. Marner is playing about 2 minutes fewer per game compared to his teammate. An incredibly balanced player, his skills at 13 and 11 are all focused on the offensive end, and he's clearly getting good chemistry with his linemates. His 68 average game rating is very high too, including 71 OGR! His giveaway/takeaway ratio is positive, and he's recored 59 hits which is top 5 among centers and 23 shot blocks which is probably up there, too. Basically, this guy is doing it all with his shorter ice time, and as a result, the Berserkers continue to win games and stay atop their conference in the SMJHL. Isn't that the definition of an MVP season?

My MVP front runners include Grimstad, Lazer, Roach, Marner, and Stratton. We also considered Minamino; however, his defensive stats are detracting. Stratton appears to be the winner be a fair margin.

Roach remains a standout on the lowly Steelheads; however, he has the highest Game Rating in the league along with being a presence not only in even-strength and powerplay situations but also short-handed. Additionally, Roach is top three in blocked shots, takeaways. Roach’s detractions include being on a team ranked last in division coupled with a -13 +/-.

Lazer is second in Game Rating along with a strong top-five +/-. Additionally, Lazer’s takeaway to giveaway is strong 2.64x. Lazer’s main detraction is his lack of offensive output with 16 points and an Offensive Game Rating of 55.

Grimstad is third in the scoring race, being two points behind the leaders. What set him apart from those two is his moderate amount of penalty killing time. His defensive numbers are slightly higher than Minamino and Marner; however, not sure strong enough to outpace Marner or Stratton.

Marner is tied for league leading points at 47 and respectable 68 Game Rating. Marner is a wrecking force with 61 hits; however, he has more giveaways than takeaways. Additionally, Mats does not contribute on the penalty-kill nor is he the leading ice-getter on his team.

Stratton is a real threat to the MVP race as he leads the league in wins, shutouts save percentage, and GAA. Additionally, Stratton is a player with a Game Rating of 74, which leads both skaters and goalies. I am not sure there is more to say. Stratton appears the clear leader as he also has the Armada in a tight race for first in the league.

[Image: budweiser.png]

I believe the MVP should be Linus Grimstad, but it is a very tight race with many players with strong cases. Grimstad centers the top line for the Carolina Kraken who are one of the best teams in the league this season and sits second in points in the league. The closest contenders would be Mats Marner, Ryuuji Minamino and Chris de Siren. Each of these players also come from a top three team in the league. Following these players there is a slight drop off in point production so I think this would be the strongest contenders for MVP. Newfoundland benefits by having arguably the best top line in the league so perhaps the skill is divided among the line evenly. In addition to great point production, Grimstad had the superior CF% rel numbers compared to Marner and Minamino but fell behind de Siren. These players are all so close and have been incredibly important to their teams and should not upset anyone if any one of these players walks away with the MVP.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/DYZ5jqO.jpg[/img]

While the case could be made for a couple of different players: Mats Marner, Ryuuji Minamino, Linus Grimstad & Chris de Siren
I think the most likely candidate in the mentioned group for the Fallah trophy is Linus Grimstad.
Grimstad is tied for second in points, first in +/-, he's not only efficient offensively, he blocks more shots than any of the other high scoring players.
Arguably he does cause a lot of giveaways, but he takes the puck more than he loses it and he's alone in that for the top 5 point scorers.
Grimstad is also used in more situations by his team as he's not only seeing ice-time during normal play and power-play, but he's also seeing ice-time while the team is short-handed.

Code:
168 words

[Image: m59RPb7.png]   [Image: FcWmVTl.png]
[Image: krazkoSEA.gif]
credit to amazing @Carpy48, @Ragnar @sköldpaddor, @the_paytonium & @sulovilen !

[Image: yQKhjTe.png]

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]