Create Account

S55 SMJHL best players at each position
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 12:41 PM by Matteo.)

I'd like to start off by saying that these are just my opinions, if people disagree with anything I welcome that and would love to hear why.

Now that season 55 has come to an end, let's take a look at who performed the best at each position this season. I won't be taking any past stats or TPE into account at all. With all that out of the way, let's get into it. 

Centre
Linus Grimstad (@Turd Ferguson) S54 Kraken 
Regular season stats - GP: 50 | G: 22 | A: 32 | PTS: 54 | +/-: +35 | SH%: 16.79% | GvA: 24 | TkA: 26 | SB: 46 | TOI: 18:39 | GR: 68
Playoff stats - GP: 11 | G: 3 | A: 11 | PTS: 14 | +/-: +4 | SH%: 9.09% | GvA: 5 | TkA: 8 | SB: 18 | TOI: 19:14 | GR: 68
This list weighs playoffs equally to the regular season, and the first player on here shows this very well. It could be argued that Newfoundland centre Mats Marner was the best centre in the league, but my pick is Grimstad because he was one of the only centres in the playoffs who was over a point per game, the only one if you just look at centres who played more than one round. His stats are also almost as good or as good as the Newfoundland and Maine players who played in three and four rounds, respectively. He didn't have very many goals due to a low shooting percentage, but among centres he was 3rd in assists, with 1 fewer than the 2nd and 1st place centres even though he played 6 and 13 fewer games. He was also 5th among centres in points, and everyone above him also either played for Newfoundland or Maine. In the regular season, Grimstad was 2nd among centres in goals, 1st among centres in assists, and 2nd among centres in points. If this wasn't enough, Grimstad also plays a well above average two-way game for such an offensive player. His +35 in the regular season was good for top centre in the league, and for a player with as many points as him, 26 takeaways and 46 blocked shots in the regular season and 8 takeaways and 18 blocked shots in the playoffs is fantastic.
Honourable mentions: Mats Marner Berserkers , Daniel Laforest Knights , Alexander Roach Citadelles 
Left Wing
Kyle Sutton (@CrazyMojito) S54 Timber 
Regular season stats - GP: 50 | G: 20 | A: 21 | PTS: 41 | +/-: -8 | SH%: 13.25% | GvA: 21 | TkA: 21 | SB: 40 | TOI: 17:16 | GR: 66
Playoff stats - GP: 24 | G: 16 | A: 10 | PTS: 26 | +/-: +14 | SH%: 23.53% | GvA: 11 | TkA: 5 | SB: 33 | TOI: 17:21 | GR: 65
Kyle Sutton is a huge reason why Maine made it to the finals this season. In the regular season he was a good 1st line winger, but in the playoffs he blew all expectations out of the water. In the playoffs he finished 1st in the league in points and goals, while finishing 2nd among left wingers in assists and +/-. In the regular season, as mentioned earlier, Sutton was good but not great. He finished 5th among left wingers in points, and 4th among left wingers in goals. Kyle Sutton's two-way game is what shined more in the regular season, with a very decent 21 takeaways and 40 blocked shots. In the playoffs some of the two-way game was sacrificed for more offense, but 33 blocked shots is still very good.
Honourable mentions: Ethan Price Outlaws , Vitek Vitecek Kraken , Steve Harrington Berserkers

Right Wing
Ryuuji Minamino (@Nhamlet) S53 Berserkers 
Regular season stats - GP: 50 | G: 21 | A: 35 | PTS: 56 | +/-: +17 | SH%: 12.57% | GvA: 25 | TkA: 23 | SB: 10 | TOI: 19:06 | GR: 70
Playoff stats - GP: 17 | G: 5 | A: 8 | PTS: 13 | +/-: +6 | SH%: 10.87% | GvA: 9 | TkA: 7 | SB: 7 | TOI: 17:46 | GR: 64
While Newfoundland's Minamino seemed to slow down during the playoffs and eventually get overtaken by teammate (Clean) Andrei Kostitsyn, Minamino was nearly unstoppable during the regular season, and his playoffs were by no means bad either. In the regular season, he ended up being tied for 1st in points among right wingers with Anchorage's Chris de Siren, and also finished 4th among right wingers in goals and 1st among all skaters in assists. In the playoffs, as I mentioned he slowed down slightly, but he was still 3rd among right wingers in points, being only one point behind 2nd place who played 7 more games, and also 3rd among right wingers in assists, again only one assist behind 2nd place who played 7 more games.
Honourable mentions: Chris de Siren Armada , (Clean) Andrei Kostitsyn Berserkers , Jimmy Wagner Kraken

Left Defense
Adam Friedland (@Bongo) S54 Kraken 
Regular season stats - GP: 50 | G: 12 | A: 18 | PTS: 30 | +/-: +16 | SH%: 9.68% | GvA: 19 | TkA: 15 | SB: 39 | TOI: 20:32 | GR: 62
Playoff stats - GP: 11 | G: 5 | A: 7 | PTS: 12 | +/-: +12 | SH%: 25.00% | GvA: 5 | TkA: 4 | SB: 7 | TOI: 19:15 | GR: 63
It's hard to say who the best defensemen are because it's difficult to compare an offensive and defensive defenseman. For the left-handed defenders, I've gone with an offensive defenseman in Carolina's Adam Friedland. Even though he didn't get a huge amount of minutes in the playoffs, he was able to be one of the only defensemen to go point per game, and was able to finish 3rd among defensemen in points, with only 1 point less than the two ahead of him and seven fewer games played, as well as 1st among defensemen in goals, and 3rd among defensemen in points, behind the same two with 7 more games played, and with only 1 and 2 fewer assists than them. In the regular season Friedland did well also, with his 30 points being good for a 2nd place tie among defensemen, and his 12 goals being good for also 2nd place among defensemen.
Honourable mentions: James LeBlond Outlaws , PBJ Souppan  Berserkers , Mikkel Asmus Sondergard Timber , Aumy Jr. Raptors

Right Defense
Valentin Kalashnikov (@suavemente) S53 Timber 
Regular season stats - GP: 50 | G: 6 | A: 13 | PTS: 19 | +/-: +20 | SH%: 7.59% | GvA: 22 | TkA: 26 | SB: 65 | TOI: 20:26 | GR: 58
Playoff stats - GP: 24 | G: 3 | A: 7 | PTS: 10 | +/-: +6 | SH%: 6.52% | GvA: 13 | TkA: 14 | SB: 44 | TOI: 22:11 | GR: 58
It would probably be better not to pay attention to which side the defensemen play and compare them all together, but I wanted to put one offensive defenseman and one defensive defenseman on the list. I know I said it's hard to compare offensive versus defensive defensemen, and I still stand by that, but with that in mind I think Maine Timber's Valentin Kalashnikov was the best defenseman in the league this season. This might be a weird and unpopular opinion (I'm getting tired and this is taking longer to write than I thought it would because I don't know how to compare defensemen, and I can tell my writing's getting worse the more tired I get), and his game rating might not reflect it, but the defensive defenseman did everything right. He had more takeaways than giveaways, he blocked shots, and he played a good amount of minutes. He was also a great enforcer, getting 212 hits in the regular season (but only 14 in the playoffs), and getting in 21 fights throughout the season - 15 in the regular season and 6 in the playoffs.
Honourble mentions: Ben van Dijk Kraken , Emilia Bergman Outlaws , Adrik Baranov Timber , Boris Petrov Citadelles

Goalie
Blunt Man (@Obsidian311) S55 Kraken 
Regular season stats - GP: 37 | W: 26 | L: 10 | OTL: 1 | SO: 6 | SV%: .920 | GAA: 1.99 | GR: 71
Playoff stats - GP: 11 | W: 7 | L: 4 | OTL: 0 | SO: 1 | SV%: .927 | GAA: 2.46 | GR: 79

When I started this list, I didn't plan on having so many Kraken players on it, I guess they must have a pretty good team. I've chosen goaltender Blunt Man for this list because he was the most consistently good goalie this season. He started off with a great regular season, finishing 3rd in save percentage, 2nd in goals against average, 3rd in wins, and 3rd in shutouts. In the playoffs he turned it up to 11, improving his save percentage to 2nd best in the league among goalies with 4+ games played, his goals against average, while dropping slightly, was still good for 3rd in the league, wins and shutouts were 4th and 2nd respectively, despite only playing in two rounds. You might have noticed that he wasn't 1st in any category and are wondering why I've chosen him for this list above other goalies. This is because everyone above with better regular season stats than him didn't show up in the playoffs, and everyone with better playoff stats than him played much worse in the regular season (or played as a backup). I also wanted to mention that Blunt Man is the youngest on this list and it's incredibly impressive that he was able to have such a great season at the 350 cap instead of the 425 cap.
Honourable mentions: Cale Amundsen Berserkers , Leo Bloomfield Timber , Scoochie Stratton Armada , C.K. Supernaw Battleborn 

Word count: 1655

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

You love to see it Kraken

[Image: mTgAyCs.png]

Rockstar article.

[Image: 81ImQYu.png][Image: suavemente.gif][Image: QD85cmZ.png]
     Platoon    Timber

Absolutely pure facts. great media.

Love of Kraken popping up here Kraken

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]

Happy to make the list Kraken Kraken Kraken