Create Account

Hi, I’m WannabeFinn. I’m coming up on my 20th season as a SHL GM. AMA.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 09:51 PM by WannabeFinn.)

Odds are if you’re reading this that you already know me, but for those of you unfamiliar I’m WannabeFinn/WBF/Finn/Lee and I am about to start my 20th season as a GM in the SHL. Prior to my time as a SHL GM I spent 8 seasons as a SMJHL GM. Outside of my work as a GM, I’ve been involved in the IIHF and the Rookie Mentor Committee for nearly 30 seasons each.

We’re about to kick off the weekend and I feel like taking a trip down memory lane. I will do my best to answer each question as honestly and thoughtfully as I can. Questions outside the context of the SHL are welcome, but please don’t make them the focus.

Ask me anything  Wink

===========================================================

09-11-2020, 11:02 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:13 AMTheWoZy Wrote: bye
Hi Woz. Good luck in Seattle. Play nice with Darrow.

09-11-2020, 11:10 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:13 AMEvok Wrote: i though this was a retirement thread and i was happy for a second
I’m glad I could provide you with a moment of bliss.

09-11-2020, 11:19 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:13 AMTomen Wrote: Explain the deplorable situation and how you viewed it at the time vs now
I remember the day that it all started coming together pretty well. I was sitting in a lecture hall waiting for a Political Science course to start and Dan (dankoa) messaged me on Snapchat to tell me that there were some free agents interested in signing with us. I think I about shit a brick when he told me it was 5 or 6 guys that wanted to sign. At the time I was pumped that so many players, especially veteran players, wanted to play for me so early on in my GM career (this was going into my 3rd season in Detroit, I believe). I didn’t see any reason for the move to be illegal, but I knew it was going to be bad optics.

I’m glad a rule was made to prevent skirting the draft like that. I don’t think I would do something like that again even if it were still legal, but I don’t regret it. It was fun being Bad Boy Detroit. It brought a lot of activity and attention to a franchise that desperately needed some.

09-11-2020, 11:23 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:14 AMluketd Wrote: Who are you? Never seen you around here
Who am I? I am a champion

09-11-2020, 11:24 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:14 AMChris-McZehrl Wrote: Ninja
Hey Chris. Hope things are well. LAP GM spot opened up for ya!

09-11-2020, 11:25 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:16 AMRagnar Wrote: hi bae
Hey boobear xoxo

09-11-2020, 11:31 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:17 AMSnussu Wrote: What is the best SMJHL team and why Detroit?
Detroit. Why? All the great folks involved.

09-11-2020, 11:32 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:17 AMWasty Wrote: What’s your first move you’ll make as LAP GM?
Drafting Vili Afalava, of course!

09-11-2020, 11:52 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:19 AMhhh81 Wrote: Are there any deals you regret during your SHL tenure?

I regret trading for Kian Hamilton in S38/39? and for The Dude in S50. Completely different circumstances, but both situations were deadline acquisitions that made us better on paper but only made us worse in STHS. That’s about it as far as trades go.

Quote:Buffalo was bad for a long time. What do you think was the turning point that moved BUF from perennial bottom feeder with fellow S25 expansion Portland/San Fran to elite franchise?

I would be lying to myself and to everyone reading this if I gave any reason other than Tomen’s return. Tomen coming back out of the blue and going right back to being a max earning SHL genius energized the franchise like nothing else. Of course, we had been rebuilding for several seasons before that, but Tomen’s return was the cherry on top.

09-11-2020, 11:56 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:23 AMMayuu Wrote: explain 62
62% chance to win the Cup against Winnipeg baby!!!

09-11-2020, 12:16 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:25 AMkrazko Wrote: Best memory as a GM?

Winning Buffalo’s first cup in Season 46. We were down 3-2 in the series and Tomen had been busting his ass to find the best line combos to give us a chance. We won game 6, and then we hastily agreed to sim game 7 only a few minutes later. We won that game too. It was the first cup for both of us and we had both been so hungry for that kind of success. It was a nice moment between us, because we couldn’t share the results with the rest of the team as we had to wait on the Play-by-Play threads to be posted and completed. A great weight was lifted from both of our shoulders that night.

Quote:Best part of being a GM?

I get to build my own private community in the team locker room. I spend so much time on Discord and on the site because I love the community that we have built and I want to do everything I can to maintain it.

Quote:Worst part as a GM?

Making moves in order to be roster/cap compliant. I have had the displeasure of trading away friends or not even being able to offer them a contract on plenty of occasions. It never gets easier.

09-11-2020, 01:04 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:27 AMGeekusoid Wrote: In 1987, Donald Trump co-wrote a book called "The Art of the Deal" that was part memoir, part business advice.

If you could write a book of this type on your experience as a GM, what would it be called...and what is one memory and one piece of advice you would include in it?
I would probably include the memory of first cup we won in Season 46 and a piece of advice that would absolutely find its way into the book would be to surround yourself with good souls. I find it difficult to imagine what Buffalo may have become without guys like Karey and Mayuu.

No clue on the title, nothing clever coming to mind at the moment.

09-11-2020, 02:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:31 AMCarpy48 Wrote: And when is Finland going to win another gold medal?

Sooner than most think, the new age Finland dynasty is on its way Finland

Quote:What is something nobody knows about you but more people should know?

If there’s something that nobody knows about me, it’s probably for a good reason Shy

09-11-2020, 02:09 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:32 AMdankoa Wrote: You managed to get under 200 lbs yet
Hell yeah I did brother but I may have gone back above since then lol need a scale in the new place

09-11-2020, 05:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:33 AMdankoa Wrote: also post your carti top 5. mine is

5. Poke It Out (would be higher but nicki feature ruins it)
4. Lean 4 Real
3. New Choppa
2. Magnolia
1. wokeuplikethis*
5. No Time
4. Magnolia
3. RIP
2. wokeuplikethis*
1. Location

09-11-2020, 05:30 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:39 AMKlusteR Wrote: Where do the #leeout jokes come from? I'm genuinely curious, not shitposting, I swear.
Wozy tagged Baelor in Buffalo discord and asked him to fire me, Trautner said #FireLee, Baelor said I was fired, Trautner said #LeeOut

then Wozy and Trautner just kept saying #LeeOut until it became a meme

09-11-2020, 06:28 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:42 AMJumpierPegasus Wrote: Where do you have to screw up in life to get stuck being a GM for 20 seasons? (side eyes Wasty)
Everywhere tbh

09-11-2020, 06:34 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:50 AMbluesfan55 Wrote: one player you regret not drafting
This is tamper bait. But I’ll answer it anyways since the player is retired.

Iam Essellemm.

09-11-2020, 08:06 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:50 AMBuster Wrote: Think I can double dip and also play in Buffalo?
Maybe, but I think Luke would send his goons after me.

09-11-2020, 08:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:55 AMJAJA SWEG DINGDONG Wrote: Tamper me again
It’s not tampering if I’m next GM of LAP tbh

09-11-2020, 08:17 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 10:01 AMFrick_Nasty Wrote: Not really a question but figured you'd want this[Image: u7gIKEn.png]
I hadn’t seen this yet. It’s great. Thanks!

09-11-2020, 09:39 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 10:04 AMGrum Wrote: How good is Grum?
Grum is great. Probably the best of all the 1st Overalls I’ve had!

09-12-2020, 08:55 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 10:12 AMRangerjase Wrote: With all your experience and time in the SHL. Do you still want to be finn? Or do you want to be someone else?
I’m not sure I understand the question. If you’re asking if I want to be known around the league as something other than “Finn”, no, I don’t. That’s my identity and I’ll continue to roll with it.

09-12-2020, 10:24 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 10:14 AMByrdeMan Wrote: What are your current thoughts on the management in the SHL, I’m talking HO and commissioners?

Nour has been doing awesome work. I think we have a great group of individuals in the Head Office right now. That doesn’t always translate to success, because they have to be able to work together, but I have no problem with the current group.

Quote:As a lot of us know at the time you were campaigning for commissioner along side of SDCore. What are your thoughts on him being picked over you and if you could go back would you change anything with your application/interview?

I thought at the time that I was the more qualified candidate. Still believe that. However, Nour is better than either of us so things worked out in the end.

I would’ve asked more people to review my app. I would’ve had proactive, candid conversations with the group of Owners and Head Office members. I think there were some preconceived notions about me that weren’t properly addressed or dispelled.

09-12-2020, 10:47 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 10:57 AMgrok Wrote: #LeeOut
Good luck in the draft today. Nerd.

09-12-2020, 10:48 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 11:00 AMJSS Wrote: What's up big boy, when was the last time you went to the barber shop and got a fade?
It’s been a while. Gonna go get a trim later today.

09-12-2020, 02:37 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 11:02 AMZombiewolf Wrote: Thoughts on Zombiewolf?
Zomb big stud. I can’t live without him.

09-12-2020, 02:38 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 11:05 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: how much do you regret trading away the top S50 player Tom Fiddler
I don’t regret it. We got Faelax and another pick out of it, and you get to play a feature role on a young team.

09-13-2020, 10:35 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 11:20 AMjfisherr Wrote: How do you think the transition from STHS to FHM has been?

I think the transition went about as smoothly as possible. SHL did a great job of banding together and working to make the switch feasible. As far as the actual engine goes, I'm enjoying it. Performance scales more appropriately with TPE levels. There's a distinct difference in quality between teams, and bad teams can't ride one or two elite players to the playoffs like they could in STHS.

Quote:You’ve been the biggest driver in some major changes over the recent seasons (capped TPE), what is the biggest need/change you’d like to see on site?

Term limits for Commissioners across all of our leagues. Players having more of a say in what roles they are used in.

Quote:How do you feel about teams consistently using “cheese” strats to win playoff games? Do you think they should be punished?

I think anyone who consistently pushes the envelope like that is a clown.

Quote:Should players have more control over the types of roles they can play in the sim? Ex. A user says they’re an offensive forward, so can only be used in offensive roles

I absolutely agree with that. They are built-in archetypes with plenty of variation.

Quote:When should we switch from FHM to EHM? Could you finally help tomen and I with coaching?

Shut the fuck up Sushi. I eat you with chop stick.

Quote:When are u gonna shave your beard?

I did sometime last week, you would've known that if you looked at the pictures I post..

Quote:What’s your take on the nonstop GM turnover over the last couple of seasons? Do we need to lessen the load on GMs to make their jobs less stressful?

I think the increase in GM turnover is coincidental and not a symptom of the system. Most of the turnover is among the GM's that were in their role for 10-15+ seasons. Feels like it's just a part of the natural cycle.

09-13-2020, 10:38 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 11:37 AMPanda Wrote: Why am I your favorite player to be the GM of?
Who are you picking with your first pick in the draft? (for scouting purposes)
@WannabeFinn
No. This is tamper bait. Bad Bayley.

Oops. Draft is over. Womp womp.

09-13-2020, 10:48 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 12:40 PMcharlieconway Wrote: ever worried your sass will scare off new users?
No, it doesn't worry me. I've made a conscious effort to dial it back, but I'm not fearful of scaring anyone off.

09-13-2020, 10:48 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 12:41 PMRindiee Wrote: why did you draft quick mafs
Quick Mafs had that look in his eye. A special little fella.

10-03-2020, 09:46 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 05:42 PMCptSquall Wrote: I struggle to find questions as so many good ones have been asked and answered.

Do you have a favorite style of hockey for a player or team to play in either the league you watch, or the SHL?

How did you keep yourself going as a GM for so long?

How has life been recently in general?
Think 2018-19 CBJ. Elite defense and goaltending with speedy, gritty forwards. Need the Artemi Panarin to tie it all together though. I miss Breadman.

I’ve put thousands of hours into the Franchise Mode on EA’s NHL series over the years, and being a manager in the SHL is like that on steroids. It’s so much more engaging and rewarding. Outside of the game, I’ve built a community that I enjoy in Buffalo and it’s easy to hang out and lose track of time.

Life has been pretty good, honestly. The pandemic has hardly effected my line of work and I’m thankful for that. I miss going to the movies and bars and things like that, but at the same time I’m saving my money and still keeping myself entertained and healthy. It’s been a good excuse to spend more time playing games Wink

10-03-2020, 11:21 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 07:17 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: Why is Esa the greatest GM in the history of the SHL?

How much do you love me? Please count the ways.
He’s got the most cups and as far as I know, the most wins. With 10 combined Cups and Presidents Trophies he leads the league. The next closest is Leafs at 8 combined, and then myself and some others at 6 combined. Right now he’s a step above.

My love is unquantifiable.

10-03-2020, 01:22 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-11-2020, 09:28 PMNhamlet Wrote: Any advice that you'd tell yourself as a newbie GM if you could back in time?

What's something you're hoping to be able to accomplish and look back when your current involvement in the SHL changes?
I’d probably tell myself to not be stupid and put Tomen on the trade block lol. Thankfully I didn’t make the mistake of actually trading him, but I did put him on my block for a hot minute before he came back to activity. I can’t imagine where this team would be if I didn’t have Tomen at my side.

I want to set a new record for most Challenge Cups and most wins. I’ve accomplished pretty much every other goal I set. Right now, it’s just me chasing down Esa and making sure Hallsy doesn’t beat me to the punch Laughing

11-18-2020, 07:34 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-12-2020, 09:22 AMNokazoa Wrote: im told that you somehow get the best trades. Do you believe this is true? If yes, how do you accomplish this? Why would people have that opinion?

Opinions on Keygan?

Opinions on Gabe?

Opinions on the SHL Expansion branding?
I feel like we pretty frequently end up benefiting from the trades we make, so I do believe that's true. Don't really do anything special, we just identify what we want and we figure out how we can make it work.

Keygan is a homie. I've known him since before he joined the SHL, so I have a different perspective on him.

I'm afraid I can't comment.

Both franchises are pretty cool. Good job to both.

11-18-2020, 07:38 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-12-2020, 02:40 PMdankoa Wrote: Serious question tho, you’ve probably got the best drafting record out of any gm in the league. What picks that you’ve made do you regret and who do you wish you’d taken there instead
Conor McGregor is the stand out for me. It wasn't a great draft in hindsight, but I could have easily taken Essellemm or Driftwood at 1 instead and would've felt just fine about it.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

bye

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

i though this was a retirement thread and i was happy for a second

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2020, 09:15 AM by Tomen.)

Explain the deplorable situation and how you viewed it at the time vs now

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Who are you? Never seen you around here

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Ninja

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Congrats @Tomen!!!

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

hi bae

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

What is the best SMJHL team and why Detroit?

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

What’s your first move you’ll make as LAP GM?

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

Are there any deals you regret during your SHL tenure?
Buffalo was bad for a long time. What do you think was the turning point that moved BUF from perennial bottom feeder with fellow S25 expansion Portland/San Fran to elite franchise?

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

explain 62

RETIRED

Best memory as a GM?
Best part of being a GM?
Worst part as a GM?

[Image: m59RPb7.png]   [Image: FcWmVTl.png]
[Image: krazkoSEA.gif]
credit to amazing @Carpy48, @Ragnar @sköldpaddor, @the_paytonium & @sulovilen !

In 1987, Donald Trump co-wrote a book called "The Art of the Deal"  that was part memoir, part business advice.

If you could write a book of this type on your experience as a GM, what would it be called...and what is one memory and one piece of advice you would include in it?

And when is Finland going to win another gold medal?

What is something nobody knows about you but more people should know?

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]